You are not logged in.

#26 2005-11-05 18:39:26

cmp

Re: Why Mono?

>>*cough* in python arrays are called lists *coughs*
data types in c/c++, that provide the same functionality as python lists, are also called lists or vector in c++ (I never liked the term).

>> *cough* in python hashes are called dictionaries *coughs*
also eiffel calls hashes dictionaries, it's also more logical to call them dictionaries, because hashes refers to the inner workings, whereas dictionariy refers to the exposed interface.

#27 2005-11-05 20:39:17

rizzix

jvm is fast. period... if a swing app is slow it's cuz somone has designed their app poorly... swing is infact very fast... eitherway mustang has a lot of improvements... i mean a lot... especially for swing... mustang is basically the speed-fix for the jvm... so just wait till it's out..

btw.. gcj and the likes are slower than SUN's jvm... the performance difference is soo obvious...  the same with mono... slow!

also.. casting can be eliminated in Java.. as of 1.5 using generics... get your facts straight!

and yea.. a gtk# app may startup faster than a swing app.. but you really can;t point out the difference between them at runtime...

#28 2005-11-05 21:33:25

Gullible Jones

JVM is fast? Riiiggght... Dude, just try any web page with Java applets. The things take bloody forever to load, even on fast machines, and use up all your available RAM. And that's bytecode, not uncompiled .java files!

And BTW, this boxing stuff... Am I missing something? What about something like this in Java:

public class Foo
{
     public final int bar = x;
     blah blah blah;
}

Or am I not getting it?

(Sorry, I'm a novice at programming.)

#29 2005-11-06 03:27:27

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

JVM is fast Gullible. Java applets are loaded from the network, that has nothing to do with time running JVM. And IIRC, Java is by default limited to 64mb (or maybe its 32) of RAM, though you're free to change this on the command lime. 64mb isn't a lot by today's standards, its certainly not 'all available RAM'. I'm not sure what you mean about uncompiled Java files, they have nothing to do with the JVM.

As for your class, I don't know what x is, so I couldn't say if its legal or not. Autoboxing allows integer (primitives) and Integer (objects) to be treated more or less equally. or Boolean and boolean, etc.  Its actually not that useful (read necessary), although it does clean up the code a bit. Its syntactic sugar, nothing more.

I use Azureus, Limewire, and JEdit all the time. I can't say any of them are slow, and they all run in the Sun JVM. They take a while to load, but so does firefox and open office which are compiled C programs.

Dusty

#30 2005-11-06 04:05:12

Gullible Jones

64 megs?! Java eats up more than 150 megs on my system! :shock:

("x" was supposed to represent some integer. I suppose I should have used 42, or something, for clarity's sake. Anyway, it looks like boxing would be different from what I was thinking of... So never mind.)

Re Java apps: Limewire, last time I tried it, ate up all my CPU power and physical RAM, causing a large jump in swap usage and slowing my system to a crawl. Azureus isn't as bad, but it's  very unresponsive, with menus taking almost a full second to open.

Frostwire, interestingly, is quite responsive, but slower to start than either Firefox or OpenOffice.

In all cases, Java eats up maybe 200 megs of RAM, out of 384.

#31 2005-11-06 04:12:54

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

sounds like a system problem. Java shouldn't need 200 mb of RAM.

Here's my ps on limewire:

dusty    14884 33.7  4.7 297088 48572 ?        Sl   23:11   0:04 java -Dorg.apa

Notice the 4.7, that's the memory usage. in aux output. I have 1GB memory. That's about 50MB, unless my math is screwy.

Dusty

#32 2005-11-06 07:50:29

stavrosg
Website

Yea, 48572 KB to be more precise tongue 8)

#33 2005-11-06 14:50:16

Gullible Jones

Uhh, yeah... The problem was using gnome-system-monitor instead of top. :oops: Duh.

(Changed the system monitor's settings to show resident rather than virtual memory... What the heck is that "virtual memory" anyway? It seems to be larger than shared and resident memory combined.)

The old version of Limewire definitely seems to be badly programmed though - the 100% CPU use was no illusion.

#34 2005-11-06 14:58:01

arooaroo
Website

Gullible,

If you have a program that consumes 100% CPU, then that's because someone's written a program that consumes 100% CPU! The language that it's written in is coincidental. I take it that no-one's ever had a C/C++ program that's given the CPU a continual bashing?

I wrote an article about Java performance (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10729). I agree that the JVM is costly in terms of start-up - the JVM itself is not slow and the code it runs is comparable to C++ and co.

Board footer