You are not logged in.

#51 2006-03-13 08:25:20

3nd3r
Website

Re: Gentoo, we need to talk...

I am a gentoo user. I am also an Arch user, i have both distros on this box and i have to say that I am loving Arch alot more than gentoo so far. The only propblem i am seeing with arch is some of pacman switches, IMHO it should be rewritten to make a bit more sence  eg.. pacman -S <--- -S sync you would think that sync would sync with the repositories but the option -Sy does that. perhaps no optin to install or an -i or I option to install, I personally think that would be a little easier to remember for most people.

anyways I am really loving how arch is setup and run, the community is 9000000000000000000% nicer then the gentoo community and are tons more helpful.
I learned alot in the last 3 or 4 years with gentoo but i am starting to think it is time to move on.... and I am moving on to Arch =]

~3nd3r

#52 2006-03-13 14:03:15

Sigi

3nd3r: You joined in 2002 and this is your very first post?  8)

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#53 2006-03-13 17:49:45

Riklaunim
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

Damn, that's a shame.

(It would be nice to have a Gentoo-based distro with a binary package repo, I must say. Portage ain't as speedy as pacman, but it's a nice package manager.)

Vidalinux has binary repositories and it's gentoo based smile

#54 2006-03-15 05:16:30

josolanes

past gentoo user here...for around 10 months (by far the longest i'd stuck to a single distro)

i like arch because it's similar (build from nothing, fairly bleeding edge,...) and i like it a lot better because of the quick installs, rc.conf, and because of the flexibility and ease of use of pacman smile

System Specs: Arch 0.7.1 (Noodle); Kernel=2.6.15-ARCH; Gnome; xorg-7.0 (w/3D!!)--Xgl wink; Dual Athlon MP 1800+; Asus A7M266-D mobo; 40GB (ATA 133); Audigy 2 Platinum; Radeon 9800 Pro (3D included big_smile)
Registered Linux user number 395691

#55 2006-03-17 06:45:35

nogoma

Gentoo was my first "serious" try at Linux (having done some Red Hat installs in my college days "for kicks"). I mainly picked it b/c I got my hands on some AMD64 hardware when it was relatively new, so compiling stuff to be 64-bit was pretty commonplace, so going w/ a source-based distro made sense. Well, after about a year of compiling hell, and serious breakages (which, honestly, can also be attributed to the fact I was running a new platform, not necessarily gentoo's fault), I moved onto Debian. At this point, I really began to appreciate Linux (my main machine became a single-boot Linux machine); but Debian was a little... stale, so time for more distro-hopping. After passing briefly through some other distros (some vicariously through roommates) such as Slackware, Mandrake, etc., I settled on Ubuntu. Which lasted a good while, until... Arch smile ! I installed it on a HTPC I was rebuilding (which previously also ran Debian), and instantly loved it; within three or four days I also installed it onto my laptop along side Ubuntu, and after about a week, blasted the ubuntu logical volumes away, so now it's pure Arch. Now, only my desktop is still running Ubuntu, and that only b/c I'm running a wiki for a project I'm involved in, and don't really have the opportunity to take the system down for a reinstall.

3nd3r wrote:

anyways I am really loving how arch is setup and run, the community is 9000000000000000000% nicer then the gentoo community and are tons more helpful.
I learned alot in the last 3 or 4 years with gentoo but i am starting to think it is time to move on.... and I am moving on to Arch =]
~3nd3r

100% yes! The gentoo forums are "informative", but also terrifying wink. The Ubuntu forums are good, but congested with newbie traffic. The arch forums are perfect: reasonable amounts of traffic, genuinely helpful admins (and co-users), and all-around good fun. I think the involvement of the community in the distro itself (i.e. the AUR) is really great; people are putting packages out there, and making sure it works for others. I don't think I've had such a cheesy wondeful feeling about a distro since... well, ever! I guess that's the end of my fanboyism. Uh... Yay Arch!

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

#56 2006-03-17 14:43:14

jaboua

josolanes wrote:

past gentoo user here...for around 10 months (by far the longest i'd stuck to a single distro)

i like arch because it's similar (build from nothing, fairly bleeding edge,...) and i like it a lot better because of the quick installs, rc.conf, and because of the flexibility and ease of use of pacman smile

That sounds exactly like me, except that I stayed longer with fedora.

#57 2006-03-19 06:54:49

budman7

Past Gentoo user here as well.
I recently had to reinstall Arch due to a Xorg problem.
I decided to install over my Gentoo system.
I never really had a problem with Gentoo.
Long compile times didn't bother me as I just minimized the terminal and continue doing whatever I want to do.

I just got bored with Gentoo.
Problems weren't really a problem to fix as I knew my way around the /etc file pretty well.

Now I am trying to get used to the way Arch has things setup.

Into the great wide open without a clue
Registered Linux user 375921
www.google.com/linux is your friend to find stuff.

Board footer