You are not logged in.

#26 2013-03-20 03:14:01

ewaller
Administrator

Re: WiFi Setup Problems

jordanemedlock wrote:

I've ran

sudo wifi-menu wlp3s0 

and it runs fine but gives me a message at the end saying that it failed to connect. I've been trying to connect to an unsecured network

Okay, one step at a time.  Stop dhcpcd, Stop netcfg.  I assume you don't have wicd or NetworkManger installed, let alone running.

Then, try (as root)  iwconfig wlp3s0 essid yourAccessPointSSID

Wait a few seconds, and then look at the output of just iwconfig

See what it says about your access point:

ewaller@odin:~ 1004 %iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

enp3s0    no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"Woodlyn"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: C4:<REDACTED>:8F   
          Bit Rate=48 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=67/70  Signal level=-43 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:122  Invalid misc:398   Missed beacon:0

ewaller@odin:~ 1005 %

Notice that my card is associated with the ESSID for my AP.  If it is, the MAC address of your access point will be displayed.  I have redacted most of mine for security.
If you are associated, you still won't have internet access. if you are associated, do (as root)  dhcpcd wlp3s0
See if it gives you an address.  If not, post the output of all of the above commnads.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#27 2013-03-20 03:18:41

ewaller
Administrator

jordanemedlock wrote:

I would like to test wicd to see if it works but i can't install it with pacman its giving me the error
Any pointers?

I like (and use) wicd.

Clean out your cache with pacman -Scc, then try to install wicd. 
I suggest you try my my previous post first.  I like to work through problems rather than skip around.

Last edited by ewaller (2013-03-20 03:19:08)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#28 2013-03-20 03:24:57

jordanemedlock

Heres my iwconfig:

enp2s0f0  no wireless extensions.

wlp3s0    IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"MedWheel"  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

lo        no wireless extensions.

#29 2013-03-20 03:40:20

ewaller
Administrator

...And MedWheel is not encrypted (it is open) and it shows up in the output of the scan command we used earlier?

---

#30 2013-03-20 03:44:48

jordanemedlock

It is encrypted with WPA earlier I was somewhere else should I try this on an unencrypted network here?

#31 2013-03-20 03:49:51

ewaller
Administrator

Yeah, the commands I gave assume Open or WEP.  WPA requires that we use wpa_supplicant.  I don't want to walk you through flying wpa_supplicant by hand.

If you can use an open network, give that a try.  If not, then go ahead and install wicd.  You also need a client like wicd-gtk.  Try cleaning your cache and see if that helps with your signature problems.

---

#32 2013-03-20 04:00:49

jordanemedlock

yeah its not working with the guest network. And I tried clearing the cache still no luck

#33 2013-03-20 04:15:09

ewaller
Administrator

I don't know what to say about wicd.  Maybe change your mirror, then clear the cache and try again?

Let's try wpa_supplicant.  Take a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant.  I suggest trying wpa_cli.  Let me let you read that.  I'll be back in a little while.  I've still a couple hours before I pack it in for the night.

---

#34 2013-03-21 05:27:34

jordanemedlock

I don't know what happen but it works now.  I'm sorry I can't say I've learned what went wrong but thank you guys so much for your help I really appreciate it!!!!!

Board footer