You are not logged in.

#51 2013-06-07 08:01:00

MaxterTheTurtle

Re: Acer C7 Chromebook

miotatsu wrote:

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I now have a working arch install on my C7, but wireless doesn't seem to be working.
I followed the steps MaxterTheTurtle listed, so (I should?) have the modules needed for wireless. ip link only reports lo.

Hey, You are correct. I looked over my guide and I looked through my Acer C7. On the step where I told you to download the modules and copy them to the ArchLinux partition was wrong. I told you to place the modules in the folder /lib/modules. This is incorrect, it should have been in the folder /lib/modules/3.4.0. Sorry about that! I just fixed and commented the guide. Beneath this is a short set of commands that will get your wireless working. Thanks for all of the help!

# I thoroughly tested this on my own Acer C7 and it will work. :) 

# change directory to the lib directory (where the modules directory is located)
cd /lib

# rename the modules directory to the 3.4.0
mv modules 3.4.0

# create the directory to place the 3.4.0 directory inside of
mkdir modules

# move the 3.4.0 directory into the modules directory
mv 3.4.0 modules/3.4.0

# reboot to take effect
reboot

Once you do that your wireless WILL work.

SomeoneE1se wrote:

I didn't think you would, but I was confused... if you'd like I can host it at grayhatter.com

I think that would be awesome if you could host it on your server! I use google, because my upload speed is .3mbs. lol

Last edited by MaxterTheTurtle (2013-06-07 08:29:21)

#52 2013-06-07 10:18:27

miotatsu

MaxterTheTurtle wrote:
# I thoroughly tested this on my own Acer C7 and it will work. :) 

# change directory to the lib directory (where the modules directory is located)
cd /lib

# rename the modules directory to the 3.4.0
mv modules 3.4.0

# create the directory to place the 3.4.0 directory inside of
mkdir modules

# move the 3.4.0 directory into the modules directory
mv 3.4.0 modules/3.4.0

# reboot to take effect
reboot

Once you do that your wireless WILL work.

Okay, I did this and it worked! I can connect manually with wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd; I am still messing with netctl stuff though.

However, I noticed one other thing: I added a normal user but was getting permission issues, I needed to chmod su, sudo, and ping to fix the set-user-id bits so far. It's a simple fix but I wonder if many other things will be messed up in this way... I guess somewhere along in the line in the install process permissions get a bit messed up. I don't know if there is some easy fix to get proper permissions on everything or if I'll need to just fix them as I run into them?

#53 2013-06-07 19:20:12

MaxterTheTurtle

miotatsu wrote:

However, I noticed one other thing: I added a normal user but was getting permission issues, I needed to chmod su, sudo, and ping to fix the set-user-id bits so far. It's a simple fix but I wonder if many other things will be messed up in this way... I guess somewhere along in the line in the install process permissions get a bit messed up. I don't know if there is some easy fix to get proper permissions on everything or if I'll need to just fix them as I run into them?

Hmm, so I did some research on the forums, and I found out that cp -r doesn't keep ALL of the attributes of the files that are being copied. I found out that cp -a -r will keep other attributes. I wasn't aware of this. I'm wondering that when the contents of the ArchLinux image were copied onto the partition, if the permissions were not copied with it. (That is my guess anyways.) I would fix them as I see the errors. I'm going to change the part where it says: cp mnt/arch/* mnt/sda7 -r to cp mnt/arch/* mnt/sda7 -r -a Hopefully that fixes the problem.

If I re-installed ArchLinux on my computer, what permission differences should I expect to see if it actually worked?

The only other problem I had was, that I couldn't get su working properly. (I think that this was just me messing around.) Though, I fixed it by reinstalling utils-linux.

Last edited by MaxterTheTurtle (2013-06-07 19:25:01)

#54 2013-06-07 22:29:38

miotatsu

MaxterTheTurtle wrote:

Hmm, so I did some research on the forums, and I found out that cp -r doesn't keep ALL of the attributes of the files that are being copied. I found out that cp -a -r will keep other attributes. I wasn't aware of this. I'm wondering that when the contents of the ArchLinux image were copied onto the partition, if the permissions were not copied with it. (That is my guess anyways.) I would fix them as I see the errors. I'm going to change the part where it says: cp mnt/arch/* mnt/sda7 -r to cp mnt/arch/* mnt/sda7 -r -a Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Yeah it looks like this is what caused it.

MaxterTheTurtle wrote:

If I re-installed ArchLinux on my computer, what permission differences should I expect to see if it actually worked?

If you reinstalled with the -a flag you described you should see certain programs have the setuid bit set (u+s, also represented as a 4 before the 3 digits of the octal mode, such as 4755)
Programs that I know of that would be affected so far are su, ping, and sudo. The effect of not having the setuid mode is programs that need it throwing permission errors for normal users.

MaxterTheTurtle wrote:

The only other problem I had was, that I couldn't get su working properly. (I think that this was just me messing around.) Though, I fixed it by reinstalling utils-linux.

The only ones I have ran into so far are: su, sudo, ping. You can fix without reinstalling via chmod u+s. I will just fix mine as I run into them if there are any more.

Relevant reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod#Special_modes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid

Last edited by miotatsu (2013-06-07 22:31:38)

#55 2013-06-10 10:49:10

adbrown101

Thanks for the step-by-step guide. I am pretty sure that I now have a working arch on a c7. I didn't see a line to copy cgpt over to the arch img, though it is mentioned on the wiki page and I have found it quite useful to get back to chrome dev mode a few times. Now to read the arch beginners guide.

#56 2013-06-10 21:39:02

Helvetin

approximately how long did the installation take?
I got a spare hard drive for the Acer C7 and now ready to try the install soon, but just want to set aside enough time.

#57 2013-06-11 03:44:07

SomeoneE1se

Took me about 2 hours, but I didn't use Max's method, and I had to figure everything out on my own.

#58 2013-06-13 20:25:19

kdb424
Website

Anyone else having problems with high CPU usage after resume? I followed the arch wiki guide for laptops, so I don't know if it was something in there, something in the kernel, or something else. I want to solve this before I custom compile a kernel as I need crypto support for truecrypt.

#59 2013-06-14 00:16:07

SomeoneE1se

Good luck installing a custom kernel, I'm still working on that one. If you do get it working PLEASE let me know what you did.

What kind of issues are you having?

#60 2013-06-14 06:45:19

kdb424
Website

I basically get high CPU usage when resuming from suspend, and need crypto support. I should be able to cempile one with no issues. I'm used to Gentoo, and I am currently running the chromium x64 kernel (not the one that came on this computer. That one was 32 bit for the not open source chromeOS). I'll upload my kernel upon success to sigh and flash to your systems.

#61 2013-06-14 06:47:11

SomeoneE1se

build instructions would be awesome as well

#62 2013-06-14 17:48:30

kdb424
Website

I'm working on modifying this basically for arch if anyone is interested and beats me to making instructions
http://superuser.com/questions/583269/c … tead-3-4-0

EDIT:
http://www.chromebook-linux.com/2011/11 … el-on.html

That may help too

EDIT:
Not the latest, but at least virtualbox works with that (ubuntu installer, easy to extract)
http://kevinhodge.com/WP/?p=230

Last edited by kdb424 (2013-06-15 20:50:11)

#63 2013-07-07 05:57:45

miotatsu

So I've been using arch on my C7 for a while now, and everything has been working great.
However, I have the older model with 2 GB ram and I find it hits swap at around 60% RAM usage, which is a pain.
I tried adjusting the swappiness value but I don't think it changed anything.
I am not sure if this is just because I haven't rebooted lately or if the swappiness is locked in because of the chrome kernel?

Also I am wondering, would I need to jump through any unexpected hoops if I were to upgrade my ram?

Last edited by miotatsu (2013-07-07 05:59:10)

#64 2013-07-07 06:08:29

kdb424
Website

I have that problem at times (though I haven't tried to change the swap value). I currently use zramfs (from AUR), and it works pretty well, though I found that it's best to just use lighter apps (or more ram). There are no issues upgrading to an SSD, or adding RAM. Just check compatibility online. I have personally added a crucial c300 (modded the case as it wouldn't fit) and it's absolutely blazing fast. Love this thing for dual booting.

#65 2013-07-07 13:28:40

miotatsu

Alright, sounds good. smile

#66 2013-07-12 21:04:25

iv597
Website

Rewrote most of the Wiki page to make it easier to understand how to get an Arch install. All the WIP portions were removed as IMO they belong on the talk page until stable methods of, for instance, getting 64-bit kernels running, are tested and properly documented.

I mention on there a "work-in-progress script" mashing the ChrUbuntu installer with arch-bootstrap. I've been tinkering with the idea, but as my Chromebook is currently 100% stable, I'm not sure how much time I'll be dedicating to the idea, and even if written may or may not be easily able to test it (I do work on mine, rather than just use it as a toy smile ) If anyone would be interested in such a script, and interested in testing it, I'd love to hear from you!

Currently running Arch on a Samsung Chromebook Pro (dual booted with ChromeOS), and various VPSes and Docker containers.

Dotfiles on Github

#67 2013-07-25 12:55:22

kdb424
Website

I have updated his updates to include instructions for flashing an x64 kernel if you want to install x64. I need to custom compile kernels still, but haven't had the time. I use my chromebook as my main system, so I really can't test. I'd be more inclined to make some kernels if someone was willing to test and had a backup kernel on them.

#68 2013-07-26 22:26:58

iv597
Website

I may give some custom kernels a whirl once I get cgpt copied over to my Arch partition. I figure setting ChromeOS to the default again and doing one-time Arch boots with cgpt is a fail-safe way of preventing bricks and always giving me a chance to move files around and boot known stable at some point.

Might just try a custom compile of the stock config, followed by trying to get a recent -ARCH signed and copied, followed by trying to get a recent -ck signed and copied. It'd be great to have a quick and dirty way of just booting whatever kernels get updated in [core] or [repo-ck] (to your preference, mine being the latter on my desktop).

Currently running Arch on a Samsung Chromebook Pro (dual booted with ChromeOS), and various VPSes and Docker containers.

Dotfiles on Github

#69 2013-07-26 23:32:10

kdb424
Website

If you get one working, I'd happily test an x64 kernel, and once worked out, have my VPS syn and build updates, and put them in a public location. Just let me know. You have my contact info.

#70 2013-08-25 12:29:33

amodr

I've got most everything working for my Arch on C7 Chromebook, besides maybe the microphone. However, I can't seriously use a laptop until I've thrown LUKS or equivalent on.

I am new when it comes to GPT/UEFI and have been unable to get the dang C7 Chromebook to boot an external USB. Here are the steps I took (following from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … able_Media):

Created GPT table on USB
Created 700MB FAT32 partition on USB, labeling it "ARCH_201308"
Copied over (cp -a) all the files within archlinux-2013.08.01-dual.iso to USB
Unmount USB, plug it into C7 Chromebook
Hit Ctrl-U on the C7 Chromebook at boot screen

Each time, the Chromebook just beeps and laughs at me when I try to boot. Anybody gotten it to work or know how to debug this more?

Also, how do I tell the kernel on GPT to decrypt the root volume? My only experience is with mkinitcpio and GRUB. Thanks.

#71 2013-08-30 13:20:51

kdb424
Website

http://johnlewis.ie/compiling-your-own- … hromebook/
Check the comments there. We are trying to build a BIOS for our systems that does what the BIOS on the cr-48 does and makes it a regular computer that can even boot windows. May need some testers. WARNING: A bad BIOS flash could require a JTAG fix.

#72 2013-08-31 10:21:20

kdb424
Website

Update. We have a custom working BIOS. Here is a teaser. This is fully bootable with Windows, Mac, and Linux in theory, but I have arch running right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKylYaWbb-E
BIOS is avaliable at the last link, but I HIGHLY suggest against downloading it till I test it further.

#73 2013-08-31 12:29:34

amodr

Awesome thanks for taking this on guys.

I have been reading the blog comments, but can't figure out how to sort them chronologically. At any rate, once you are confident in your procedure for the C7, would you mind posting it all together? I am out of my element in modifying firmware.

#74 2013-08-31 12:34:28

kdb424
Website

Yeah, I have it running nice and smooth minus trackpad, and inability to ever go back, but those may get sorted. I know that's a deal breaker for most,but it's still experimental. I'll do a writeup. It got very confusing, but it's being worked on actively. I'll be looking for donations for a buspirate to get this done, as I can't use software flash any more, and I need to use a hardware flasher. jtags can get expensive unfortunately, and I just bricked a Nexus 7 (hard brick) so I'm screwed for cash. I don't want to sound like a beggar, and I'll get a buspirate eventually, but it may take some time without some donations for one (or of one, probe cable, and a clip for this chip all listed in that post)

#75 2013-09-03 14:16:56

kdb424
Website

Disregard my last post. Suspend is broken, but other than that, it's currently a fully fledged computer right now. Windows has been booted on my C7 natively, and USB installers work, same as any other PC. If you don't need suspend, please check the project out.
http://johnlewis.ie/pre-built-coreboot- … romebooks/

Windows 7 booting safe mode. (Didn't felly boot as it was a driver orror as I pulled it from another laptop, but the installer boots fine, so it should work)
2zs0hg6.jpg

Last edited by kdb424 (2013-09-03 14:24:56)

Board footer