Website

Re: infinality-bundle: good looking fonts made (even) easier

Strange I am not getting this:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 cinnarch-repo is up to date
 infinality-bundle is up to date
 infinality-bundle-multilib is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra                   1516,5 KiB   986K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 community               1943,0 KiB   954K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 multilib is up to date
 Foreign packages: \ 39 / 39

#52 2013-04-27 14:24:46

bohoomil
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

So I think your new repo is great. But whenever I use cower to see if there are any updates to AUR packages I'm not yet aware of, it tells me that your fontconfig-infinality-ultimate package needs updating.  Though these packages are similar, the one in your repo actually provides both fontconfig-infinality-ultimate (the AUR one) as well as fontconfig.

Would it be possible to rename one of these (I think preferrably the AUR version), as you are now providing two packages with the same name that provide different things...

I mean, it is not really hard to just ignore that output of cower.  But just a suggestion.  Thanks!

Your AUR package should have been long gone. When you were installing infinality-bundle, wasn't it removed by pacman? Are there still its leftovers in /etc/fonts?

Edit: the old package from the AUR is listed in the 'conflicts' array of the new fontconfig-*-ultimate:

conflicts=('fontconfig' 'fontconfig-infinality' 'fontconfig-infinality-git' 'fontconfig-infinality-ultimate')

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-27 14:38:43)

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#53 2013-04-27 14:38:09

WonderWoofy

Yeah, its not on my machine anymore for sure.  The new package handles everything very nicely.  But when I check for AUR updates with cower, it reports that there is an update for fontconfig-infinality-ultimate.  So both packages are not on my machine.  But I am concerned that people out there using do-it-all AUR helpers will be unknowingly flipping back to the AUR package when they run "yaourt -Syu" or whatever it is they use.

#54 2013-04-27 14:42:37

brebs

orschiro wrote:

Consolas

For comparison, here's my Consolas.

Rendered with:

$ xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dot
  dimensions:    1920x1080 pixels (372x230 millimeters)
  resolution:    131x119 dots per inch

With fontconfig settings of:

<edit mode="assign" name="rgba"><const>rgb</const></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="autohint"><bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"><const>hintslight</const></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hinting"><bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="antialias"><bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter"><const>lcddefault</const></edit>

And font info:

$ fc-query consola.ttf | grep version
	fontversion: 348652(i)(s)

Let no-one say that I never provide screenshots smile

#55 2013-04-27 14:42:45

bohoomil
Website

@WonderWoofy: I've been successfully using you as my court guinea pig wink so I would like to ask you kindly to perform a simple operation: try re-installing fontconfig-infinality-ultimate from the [infinality-bundle] repo, then run cower and see if you have got rid of the issue.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-27 14:58:04)

#56 2013-04-27 14:58:41

WonderWoofy

Yeah, no problem... let me do that real quick.  I have it cached anyway.

So it now does not tell me that I need to update, but I not have the AUR version as well as the fontconfig dep it pulled in with it.  This is what I expected though.

Is there any difference between fontconfig-infinality-ultimate from your repo and fontconfig-infinality-ultimate(aur)/fontconfig?

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-04-27 15:01:41)

#57 2013-04-27 15:01:21

bohoomil
Website

Would you mind providing the output of 'pacman -Qi fontconfig-infinality-ultimate'?

#58 2013-04-27 15:02:59

WonderWoofy

%  pacman -Qii fontconfig-infinality-ultimate 
Name           : fontconfig-infinality-ultimate
Version        : 1:2013.04.12-1
Description    : Fontconfig files for use with freetype2-infinality. Customized by bohoomil.
Architecture   : any
URL            : https://github.com/bohoomil/fontconf
Licenses       : CC-BY-SA
Groups         : None
Provides       : fontconfig-infinality
Depends On     : fontconfig>=2.10.1  freetype2-infinality
Optional Deps  : None
Required By    : cairo-infinality-ultimate  lib32-fontconfig-infinality-ultimate
Optional For   : None
Conflicts With : fontconfig-infinality  fontconfig-infinality-git
Replaces       : None
Installed Size : 284.00 KiB
Packager       : Sugar and Scruffy <sugar.and.scruffy@gmail.com>
Build Date     : Thu 25 Apr 2013 07:59:08 AM PDT
Install Date   : Sat 27 Apr 2013 08:00:03 AM PDT
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Validated By   : None
Backup Files:
UNMODIFIED	/etc/fonts/infinality/infinality.conf
MODIFIED	/etc/fonts/conf.d/52-infinality.conf

Edit: looking at the now installed AUR package, they are indeed different.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-04-27 15:04:15)

#59 2013-04-27 15:07:06

bohoomil
Website

Yes, you still have the AUR version. smile This is what you should have instead:

Version        : 2.10.92-5
Description    : A library for configuring and customizing font access (includes generic fontconfig settings only and the collection fontconfig-infinality-ultimate by bohoomil). Part of infinality-bundle.
Architecture   : x86_64
URL            : http://www.fontconfig.org/release/
Licenses       : custom  CC-BY-SA
Groups         : infinality-bundle
Provides       : fontconfig=$pkgver  fontconfig-infinality  fontconfig-infinality-ultimate
Depends On     : expat  freetype2-infinality-ultimate
Required By    : cairo-infinality-ultimate  gd  ghostscript  gsfonts  imagemagick  libass  libxft  mplayer2  poppler  qt4  terminus-font  ttf-dejavu  xorg-fonts-75dpi  xorg-fonts-misc  xorg-fonts-type1  xorg-xfd
Optional For   : None
Conflicts With : fontconfig  fontconfig-infinality  fontconfig-infinality-git  fontconfig-infinality-ultimate
Installed Size : 2303.00 KiB
Packager       : bohoomil <@zoho.com>
Build Date     : Thu 25 Apr 2013 04:56:13 AM CEST
Install Date   : Thu 25 Apr 2013 04:57:56 AM CEST
Validated By   : None

I think you should remove the currently cached fontconfig-infinality-ultimate, and run 'pacman -Syyu && pacman -S infinality-fontconfig-ultimate'. Then I believe everything should be fine.

Edit: a wrong paste.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-27 15:09:54)

#60 2013-04-27 15:08:42

WonderWoofy

I have the AUR version because you just told me to run the update... wait, oh I see, you told me to reinstall the repo version... okay sorry.  Let me try again and report back.

Edit: Still doing the same thing.  I cleared my personal package cache of all fontconfig files, I removed the cached package from the pacman cache.  Then I re-synced pacman (with -Syyu) and reinstalled fontconfig-infinality-ultimate.  I still get this:

cower -u
:: fontconfig-infinality-ultimate 2.10.92-5 -> 1:2013.04.12-1

Edit2: Interestingly, I just installed packer to test if it would also show this update, and it did not.  I guess this might be a cower specific thing?

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-04-27 15:15:51)

#61 2013-04-27 15:17:35

bohoomil
Website

I'm a cower user, too, and I get no cower output whatsoever... Would you mind providing the listing of 'pacman -Qi fontconfig-infinality-ultimate' once again? Sorry for the trouble, btw...

#62 2013-04-27 15:21:32

WonderWoofy

No problem bohoomil.  I find it interesting that you get no output from cower... hmm.

pacman -Qi fontconfig-infinality-ultimate 
Version        : 2.10.92-5
Description    : A library for configuring and customizing font access (includes generic fontconfig settings only and the collection fontconfig-infinality-ultimate by bohoomil). Part of
                 infinality-bundle.
Architecture   : x86_64
URL            : http://www.fontconfig.org/release/
Licenses       : custom  CC-BY-SA
Groups         : infinality-bundle
Provides       : fontconfig=$pkgver  fontconfig-infinality  fontconfig-infinality-ultimate
Depends On     : expat  freetype2-infinality-ultimate
Required By    : artwiz-fonts  cairo-infinality-ultimate  cantarell-fonts  dina-font  ffmpeg  gd  ghostscript  google-musicmanager  gsfonts  imagemagick  lib32-fontconfig-infinality-ultimate
                 libass  libxft  mencoder  mplayer-vaapi  poppler  profont  proggyfonts  qt4  qt5-base  source-code-pro-fonts  tamsyn-font  terminus-font  ttf-agave  ttf-anonymous-pro
                 ttf-bitstream-vera  ttf-bohoomil  ttf-cheapskate  ttf-dejavu  ttf-droid  ttf-droid-monovar  ttf-inconsolata  ttf-liberation  ttf-linux-libertine  ttf-ms-win8  ttf-ms-win8-SEA
                 ttf-ms-win8-arabic  ttf-ms-win8-hebrew  ttf-ms-win8-indic  ttf-ms-win8-japanese  ttf-ms-win8-korean  ttf-ms-win8-other  ttf-ms-win8-thai  ttf-ms-win8-zh_CN  ttf-ms-win8-zh_TW
                 ttf-source-sans-pro  ttf-ubuntu-font-family  ttf-visitor  xorg-fonts-100dpi  xorg-fonts-75dpi  xorg-fonts-misc  xorg-fonts-type1
Optional For   : jre7-openjdk-headless
Conflicts With : fontconfig  fontconfig-infinality  fontconfig-infinality-git  fontconfig-infinality-ultimate
Installed Size : 2303.00 KiB
Packager       : bohoomil <@zoho.com>
Build Date     : Wed 24 Apr 2013 07:56:13 PM PDT
Install Date   : Sat 27 Apr 2013 08:11:08 AM PDT
Validated By   : SHA256 Sum

and an immediate check with cower afterwords:

cower -u
:: fontconfig-infinality-ultimate 2.10.92-5 -> 1:2013.04.12-1

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-04-27 15:24:21)

#63 2013-04-27 15:31:20

bohoomil
Website

That's really odd... As I mentioned in the 'user notes', I want the AUR package to be renamed (I believe, adding '*-git' suffix will be enough), so once the names are different and the 'conflicts=' array is modified accordingly, any mutual interference of the two should not be the case any more. I will try and contact a TU in charge and ask him for his assistance soon. This should additionally prevent similar cases from happening.

Edit: try blacklisting 'fontconfig-infinality-ultimate' in your cower config file:

IgnorePkg = fontconfig-infinality-ultimate

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-27 15:34:35)

#64 2013-04-27 15:33:03

WonderWoofy

Yeah, that should definitely work.  I have wondered before why the AUR package is not a "-git" package, but it never bothered me enough to actually ask.

Thanks again bohoomil.  Your packages are amazing, but your support continues to thoroughly impress me.

#65 2013-04-27 16:27:10

Perfect Gentleman

is it okay that i don't have "/etc/fonts/conf.d/52-infinality.conf" ?

#66 2013-04-27 17:01:16

bohoomil
Website

Yes, you should not have it. smile That's because /etc/fonts/fonts.conf now by default includes everything one is supposed to have there. Please, read infinality-bundle user notes: you will find a detailed description of the packages. wink

#67 2013-04-27 17:36:24

logos88

Thanks for this great repository!

I made a "pacman -Rdd cairo" and then a "pacman -S freetype2-infinality-ultimate fontconfig-infinality-ultimate cairo-infinality-ultimate". Now everithing works fine, the only thing it's that when I make a "yaourt -Syyua" it says: missing 'cairo>=1.8.10' dependency for 'libgdiplus'.

It is any way to fix it?

#68 2013-04-27 18:16:19

bohoomil
Website

I'm not sure if I'm reasoning correctly, but try installing this package with pacman -U: cairo-infinality-ultimate-1.12.14-5-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz. If your system is i686, I will create an appropriate package.

OK, I think it is enough to install the conflicting package with 'pacman -Sd'. You should not be bothered with unsatisfied dependencies afterwards.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-27 19:06:44)

#69 2013-04-28 17:10:35

bohoomil
Website

fontconfig-infinality-ultimate from the AUR was replaced by fontconfig-infinality-ultimate-git. This way you should not experience conflicts between the old and new packages.

The package from the [infinality-bundle] repository was upgraded to reflect the changes.

Also, the initial post and the Wiki entry were updated, too.

Thank you for testing & using.

#70 2013-04-28 18:14:56

WonderWoofy

Aweseome, thanks bohoomil.  I will remove the IgnorePkg= in my cower configuration.

#71 2013-04-29 07:19:26

logos88

bohoomil wrote:

OK, I think it is enough to install the conflicting package with 'pacman -Sd'. You should not be bothered with unsatisfied dependencies afterwards.

When I make a "yaourt -Syyua" it still says missing 'cairo>=1.8.10' dependency for 'libgdiplus'. But, when I make a pacman -Syyu it does't says anything. I don't understand, but it's nothing very important, don't bother. Thanks for everything!

#72 2013-04-29 07:27:38

bohoomil
Website

That's why yaourt is not what many people believe it is... It is generally not recommended that you use wrappers for pacman, and you have just produced an example why this is considered a bad practice... wink

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-29 07:38:43)

#73 2013-04-30 01:16:55

StR@ng3r

Ok, first of all, thank you for providing that package. Now, when using fontconfig-infinality-ultimate, the monospace font used in terminator is kinda small. A little smaller than the one used in gnome terminal or elsewhere. The same font (system font) but smaller. Unfortunately that's a little bit too small. Would you happen to have any idea why that is or how to fix this?

Last edited by StR@ng3r (2013-04-30 01:26:04)

#74 2013-04-30 03:32:56

bohoomil
Website

Don't use aliases (a.k.a 'mono', 'monospace', etc.) in your terminals. The default Monospace in the ultimate collection is Consolas because it is better (IMO) than Couriers and it works well on websites. If you don't have it, fontconfig will try to pick up the font itself and can actually set whatever it finds OK. This is not a good way to go as its choices can usually be very bizarre (looking from a human point of view).

Specify the exact font you want to use by its name. I'm not sure which font you were using in each of the terms you've mentioned, but when you go to the settings menu in both of them, you'll be presented with a list of available Monospace typefaces (e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono, Liberation Mono, Whatever-Mono-you-have-in-your-system). Find the one you like best, specify its height and that should be it.

#75 2013-04-30 08:56:26

StR@ng3r

Thanks for taking the time. I should have mentioned that I know that much about fontconfig at least.

I have set the ChromeOS fonts as default in 20-aliases-default and even tried out different monospace fonts like Source Code Pro, Inconsolata, etc... each time I also chose the very same font within the gnome twaek tool. Now both terminals (and all other applications that should) pick up that font settings. Terminator from fontconfig and Gnome Terminal from the gnome settings. Both are set to use the system wide default font settings. However, the text itself looks one number smaller in Terminator than in Gnome Terminal when using Inconsolata. Even when I specify the same font and size manually, it is exactly one size smaller. I checked but the zoom level in Terminator is set to default (ctrl + 0). Using Consolas or Source Code Pro as default, they match.

I could just set the font manually in Terminator and set the font size one number above system default and be done with it. Yet, it kinda bothers me that this didn't happen before when using Inconsolata. My guess is that there is some config file for Inconsolata that gets sourced by applications relying on fontconfig (Terminator) and not by those that use the gnome settings (Gnome Terminal).

Also, some QT dialogs now have text that exceeds the menu width. Is there a config file for it that i could tinker with?

Board footer