You are not logged in.

#76 2013-04-30 11:05:54

bohoomil
Website

Re: infinality-bundle: good looking fonts made (even) easier

I can't really know how much you know if you haven't provided any but quite general information…

I installed Terminator and Gnome-terminal to see how much they differ when both are set to use Cousine (10px) and Inconsolata (11px). That's what I've found out: Cousine || Inconsolata. I can't say that the difference in sizes is really alarming… (I find Cousine generally a better choice, though.)

Inconsolata can be a troublemaker at times. It isn't distributed with any additional fontconfig file by default (fontconfig-infinality is probably the first one that tried to do something with it). You can try and use a modified version of the font: it is quite possible it will behave differently in your setup.

Qt4 and fontconfig doesn't play in the same club. That's why there is a separate group of settings for Qt apps. Again, please specify which applications you are talking about, which font is being used, with/without KDE, etc.

this didn't happen before

Before means 'with infinality + ultimate settings' or without any of them?

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#77 2013-04-30 12:03:13

brebs

StR@ng3r wrote:

Also, some QT dialogs now have text that exceeds the menu width. Is there a config file for it that i could tinker with?

There are font settings in ~/.config/Trolltech.conf, e.g.:

[Qt]
font="Arial,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0"

I just rename that file.

#78 2013-04-30 16:56:19

StR@ng3r

Thank you. I just decided to use a different font instead of Inconsolata. The QT-App was the teamspeak client but that kinda fixed itself after a reboot. Now the text fits into the dialogs but is kinda small in general as regards QT-Apps like Teamspeak or Spotify. While it could ba a notch larger, it still looks good as it is.

Yes I meant before when I was just using your AUR package instead of the new repo.

I got one more thing to ask though. Is it possible to somehow install and use tasque with cairo-infinality-ultimate?
I don't really see why, but when trying to install tasque, pacman wants to replace cairo-infinality-ultimate with plain old cairo. Declining that fails to install tasque.

#79 2013-04-30 17:47:01

bohoomil
Website

To resolve the Qt issue, see brebs' post above or launch qtconfig-qt4 and set all things Qt GUI there. In my case the latter works well right after I set GTK+ in 'Select GUI Style' menu. You can specify more details if necessary.

If you experience conflicts with cairo when trying to install a new piece of software, see the initial post and/or the Wiki entry and/or previous feedback as this is a known issue that can be easily resolved, too, even without dirty tricks. smile

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-30 18:05:09)

#80 2013-04-30 23:01:22

bohoomil
Website

I pushed a little update to fontconfig-infinality-ultimate. This is a general tweaking / cleanup release that should fix some minor glitches I knew about but somehow forgot to fix them. Config files in /etc/fonts/conf.avail.infinality were reorganized for better accessibility and a CHANGELOG file was added there: this way you can sooner learn about more or less substantial changes in font rendering.

A new fonts.conf will be installed as /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.pacnew: you can safely replace the old one with it.

And that's it for a while. smile

Thank you.

#81 2013-04-30 23:06:49

WonderWoofy

FYI, I didn't get a pacnew file.  Though my previous one was unmodified.

#82 2013-04-30 23:09:28

bohoomil
Website

Probably pacman didn't fetch the updated package: it should be fontconfig-infinality-ultimate-2.10.92-7. Try running 'pacman -Syyu' and see if it gets you the update.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-30 23:09:53)

#83 2013-04-30 23:12:27

WonderWoofy

Yeah, that is what I just picked up.

#84 2013-04-30 23:15:47

bohoomil
Website

If its size is ~ 8.2K and the creation date is 2013-05-01 00:38, this is it. My one was installed as *.pacnew because I've been committing changes directly to /etc/fonts. smile

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-30 23:16:21)

#85 2013-04-30 23:21:36

WonderWoofy

bohoomil wrote:

If its size is ~ 8.2K and the creation date is 2013-05-01 00:38, this is it. My one was installed as *.pacnew because I've been committing changes directly to /etc/fonts. smile

Yes, this is what I figured. As I haven't the patience for font configuration like you do, so I just trust you will share your amazing confguration with me, and I touch nothing smile

Oh and on my machine is says it is 4-30-2013 because I am in California.

#86 2013-05-01 03:05:01

thesystematic

Really good stuff bohoomil. I remember the 'holy crap' moment immediately after I installed your original infinality package, but I never really put the time away/understood what files exactly I was supposed to keep or delete on fonts/conf.d...so this is great.

At first I didn't like the Chrome OS fonts, but I think they're growing on me...

EDIT: Can I ask why the choice of Chrome OS over say, the Liberation fonts? I think originally you used Times New Roman/Arial/Consolas as default, and with Liberation being the open source version of those MS fonts I thought they would be the first choice. Not too sure what the current MS fonts are

Last edited by thesystematic (2013-05-01 03:14:17)

#87 2013-05-01 03:16:38

bohoomil
Website

thesystematic wrote:

…Chrome OS fonts…

Use any family you like better instead. The change can be performed quickly at any time. After all, everything in those packages is only a suggestion, nothing more.

Thank you for your kind words. smile

Edit: I decided to use Chrome OS fonts because they seemed to look generally better than other popular families. Besides, this particular family has been a bit underrated IMO, while it offers a lot. The fonts are legible nearly at all sizes, render very well as TTF fonts, they have this something that makes them 'universal' (they follow the principles of three basic font faces required by text structure), while at the same time they bring in some fresh, modern feel.

That is why I decided to use them as a back up set (the main one is still Arial / Times New Roman / Consolas: it's safe and has greatly improved over the years). However, there is no need to use them if they simply don't work in one's context. Simply duplicate the 20-*.conf file and put there anything you want. You can use either the global location in /etc/fonts/conf.d, or a custom one @ $HOME/.config/fontconfig. smile

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-05-01 03:33:43)

#88 2013-05-01 17:28:07

fantab

Thanks bohoomil for your effort. I think I have my fonts configured quite well. I just moved to "fontconfig-infinality-ultimate-git" in AUR. I was hoping if you could share some screenshots of fonts on your ARCH, so I could compare and decide if I should stick with what I have or move to 'infinality-bundle'.  I have spent some time with my font configuration and do not wish to give up on it without being convinced otherwise.

Other forum members can also share a few screenshots of how the fonts appear with "infinality bundle"... please.

Regards...

Last edited by fantab (2013-05-01 17:30:24)

"Evolution is the nature's way of issuing upgrades".

#89 2013-05-01 18:50:41

bohoomil
Website

Check this and this for instance. Both are a bit dated, but still reflect main principles behind the project.

However, I'm wondering if this is a good idea to share screenshots in this thread for any other reason than solving one's problem (in this case, please share a link only). I understand why this may be found helpful, but in order to do it right the whole list of additional information should be provided (like screen dimensions, dpi, customized settings, font's type, version, size, weight, and a long tail of et ceteras). Besides, bumping the thread for whatever reason other than related with support would soon turn it into something confusing and unhelpful.

Thanks for understanding. wink

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-05-01 19:04:27)

#90 2013-05-01 21:39:18

pablox
Website

I'm still getting an annoying:

missing 'cairo>=1.8.10' dependency for 'libgdiplus'

Everytime I install a package (I tried to reinstall it with pacman -Sd).

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

#91 2013-05-01 22:07:51

bohoomil
Website

This is what I get:

[~] $ pacman -Sd libgdiplus
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (1):

Name              New Version  Net Change

extra/libgdiplus  2.10-3         1.05 MiB

Total Installed Size:   1.05 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                       [----------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                     [----------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                          [----------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                    [----------------------------] 100%
(1/1) installing libgdiplus                          [----------------------------] 100%
[~] $

So, in my case the output is clean.

Try running the following sequence:

pacman -Rdd libgdiplus cairo-infinality-ultimate
pacman -S cairo-infinality-ultimate
pacman -Sd libdgiplus

#92 2013-05-01 23:00:06

pablox
Website

Oh, okay... the problem was that yaourt was the one complaining not pacman (I just realized that somewhere "pacman" was being aliased to yaourt).

The problem appears on yaourt, but it doesn't in pacman. Do you know why this could be happening? I know that's not your package problem and it is yaourt, but anyway, maybe some insight can help smile

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

#93 2013-05-01 23:26:03

bohoomil
Website

pablox wrote:

Oh, okay… the problem was that yaourt…

The problem appears on yaourt…

Do you know why this could be happening?

You have already answered the question yourself twice, but let me repeat it in case you've overlooked the key word:

It's because of yaourt!

That's how this 'helper' works and I'm extremely sorry but I see no point in understanding its mysteries…

Disclaimer:
It's not about technological racism. It's all about wrong technological concepts. Grrrr.... tongue

#94 2013-05-02 03:20:26

samuaz

hi i have a error:

error: error al obtener archivo 'infinality-bundle.db' desde bohoomil.byethost16.com: The requested URL returned error: 502 Connection refused
error: error al actualizar infinality-bundle (error de descarga de biblioteca)
error: error al obtener archivo 'infinality-bundle-multilib.db' desde bohoomil.byethost16.com: The requested URL returned error: 502 Connection refused
error: error al actualizar infinality-bundle-multilib (error de descarga de biblioteca)

i thing the server its down or something like that.

other thing i want to use the font ttf droid sans, in the past i use the infiniality stock package. now i make a fresh install of arch and i want to use your package, i need to configure something? or i only need to install it and all works by default?

and whats its the best method to install? i want to use the x64 and too the multilib for the x86 apps

pacman -Sl infinality-bundle ?

thanks for your work

#95 2013-05-02 04:45:31

bohoomil
Website

I checked whatever I could and on the server side everything seems to be working fine. Yes, I am too receiving the exact same error as you and I have already emailed the admins asking them to check what is going on. The most recent builds can always be downloaded from my Dropbox account, so if in need, please go there: infinality-bundle @ dropbox. I hope the issue is temporary only and will be resolved soon…

As for the fonts: you can install any family from the repo (or the AUR) you want. Droid family comes pre-configured in the 'bundle', so everything should work out of the box.

Running

pacman -Su infinality-bundle

should let you install all the software in one shot (I am not sure if it is going to work for multilib as well, though).

#96 2013-05-02 05:20:18

samuaz

bohoomil wrote:

I checked whatever I could and on the server side everything seems to be working fine. Yes, I am too receiving the exact same error as you and I have already emailed the admins asking them to check what is going on. The most recent builds can always be downloaded from my Dropbox account, so if in need, please go there: infinality-bundle @ dropbox. I hope the issue is temporary only and will be resolved soon…

As for the fonts: you can install any family from the repo (or the AUR) you want. Droid family comes pre-configured in the 'bundle', so everything should work out of the box.

Running

pacman -Su infinality-bundle

should let you install all the software in one shot (I am not sure if it is going to work for multilib as well, though).

thanks, i install the packages manually download from your dropbox without any problem also install the multilibs, another question its need to do the steps from stock infinality like the Xresources and /fonts.conf

#97 2013-05-02 05:23:46

bohoomil
Website

No. You may put the Xft settings to your local .Xresources if the global ones aren't sourced as expected, but it's not a necessary step. If everything has been installed correctly, you're done. smile

Edit: I have just received the response from the server's tech staff and according to the message, the repo should be operational again in circa 3 hours. No need to worry then.

The repo URLs will be shorted to

http://bohoomil.cu.cc/infinality-bundle

and

http://bohoomil.cu.cc/infinality-bundle-multilib

respectively. You can update your pacman.conf in the meantime.

Please remember that the old Dropbox location is a backup of the official repo, so in case of any technical issues with the server, you can always find what you are looking for elsewhere.

Take care.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-05-02 08:09:25)

#98 2013-05-02 10:22:34

Grinch

Speaking of fonts, what are your thoughts on the new freetype rasterizer from Google and Adobe, called CFF:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com.a … t-cff.html

#99 2013-05-02 12:20:05

Perfect Gentleman

bohoomil wrote:

The repo URLs will be shorted to

http://bohoomil.cu.cc/infinality-bundle

and

http://bohoomil.cu.cc/infinality-bundle-multilib

respectively.

done and work

#100 2013-05-02 12:59:19

fantab

bohoomil wrote:

However, I'm wondering if this is a good idea to share screenshots in this thread for any other reason than solving one's problem (in this case, please share a link only). I understand why this may be found helpful, but in order to do it right the whole list of additional information should be provided (like screen dimensions, dpi, customized settings, font's type, version, size, weight, and a long tail of et ceteras). Besides, bumping the thread for whatever reason other than related with support would soon turn it into something confusing and unhelpful.

Thanks for understanding. wink

I agree, I guess this is not the place to share screenshots. However,  I request you, bohoomil, to please start a Thread in "Artwork and Screenshots" regarding 'fontconfig-infinality', and set an example on how to post and what to post. I am sure many of us will find it beneficial

Thanks...

"Evolution is the nature's way of issuing upgrades".

Board footer