You are not logged in.

#26 2013-05-01 19:00:34

rosslagerwall

Re: Gnome 3.8 feature regressions

daiscog wrote:

1. Nautilus no longer remembers my last "Show hidden files" setting; every time I start Nautilus, hidden files are visible and I have to press CTRL+H to hide them again.  Previously, they were hidden by default.
Dai

It's working fine on my Arch install but I noticed the same behaviour when I upgraded from Fedora 18 to Fedora 19.

When I upgraded from 3.6 to 3.8 on Arch, I cleared out my Gnome configuration so maybe that is a solution?

#27 2013-05-01 20:41:12

lmello

daiscog wrote:

My gripes:

1. Nautilus no longer remembers my last "Show hidden files" setting; every time I start Nautilus, hidden files are visible and I have to press CTRL+H to hide them again.  Previously, they were hidden by default.

2. GDM fails to set the correct resolution as defined in my xorg.conf file (as described here)

3. The removal of the application categories list in the overview makes finding the application I want more difficult than it ought to be.

I realise the last point will probably only be fixed if someone develops an extension to restore the functionality.  The first point seems like a bug to me (should I report it?) and the second is the most annoying of all.  Anyone know any fixes?

EDIT

4. When logging in, I liked the old desktop-fade-in transition from the GDM log in prompt to the GNOME desktop.  I very much dislike the new blank-screen-then-desktop-zooms-in-from-centre transition.  Is there any way (e.g., config setting) to change it back?

Cheers,

Dai

Hi,

1 - Does not happen to me, ie hidden files are not shown by default like in previous versions. Try to reset your nautilus configuration files:

$ rm -rf ~/.config/nautilus
$ tm -rf ~/.config/nautilus-extensions
$ dconf reset -f /org/gnome/nautilus/

2 - Well, do you really need to set anything on xorg.conf? I tought it became obsolete. Anything you *must* alter goes on a .conf file stored in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d - like to even start GDM I (and many others with an intel GPU) had to include a directive in it to tell Xorg to use sna acceleration. Alas I think it's a intel drive thing, because turning the window 'shaded' makes it look like a mess. I don't think it's a GNOME bug tough, and minimize/shade became kind of superfluous in the way GNOME Shell works anyway.

3 - It was a mistake to include the AppsFolder thingy before it became fully functional - in 3.10 you'll be able to group everything as you please within the shell. See my first post link on this thread.

4 - I kind of agree with you. But, on the other hand, in 3.6 the default wallpaper showed up before the login screen. Now it shows that greyish thing all the way through and it feels more integrated. So it's a tie tongue

But anyway, this is the fifth GNOME 3 release right? Remember KDE 4? It was so buggy and had not even half of the 3.x functionality it was "unuseable" until 4.4 came out. The same thing is happening with GNOME 3.

Last edited by lmello (2013-05-01 20:46:24)

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#28 2013-05-01 22:32:52

daiscog

Thanks for the replies.

Clearing out my Nautilus config seems to have done the trick; normal service there has been restored.  :-)

The resolution thing is still an irritating issue, but I haven't really had time to look into it further yet.  If I find a solution, I'll post it here.

Thanks again!

#29 2013-05-02 00:48:38

solar

lmello... ye well I think G3 is gonna have to turn into G4 before there is any hope of re-emerging from the 80's.

I am hilariously insane. yup. you won't notice though.. I promise...I think.

#30 2013-05-02 19:01:58

frostbittenking

My Problems: G 3.8 has a strange behaviour with respect to "popup-ish" windows. Eg, smplayer2: When selecting subtitles via. opensubtitles.org via the context menu, the subs menu pops up, and the main video window disappears to the background. I observed this behaviour with other software too, but I can't remember which one.

#31 2013-05-02 20:54:51

lmello

frostbittenking wrote:

My Problems: G 3.8 has a strange behaviour with respect to "popup-ish" windows. Eg, smplayer2: When selecting subtitles via. opensubtitles.org via the context menu, the subs menu pops up, and the main video window disappears to the background. I observed this behaviour with other software too, but I can't remember which one.

This happens with gnome-mplayer too, but not with totem. Strange. The latest GTK+3 is buggy, and probably this affects the Qt-GTK interface. Try to set another GUI-style from qtconfig-qt4 to see if that happens again.

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#32 2013-05-02 21:11:43

jnbek

Gnome has just gone to pot, I mean they've always been a pretentious lot, but lately, it's almost like they're purposely trying to sabotage the Desktop Environment community. Cinnamon and MATE really need to step up their efforts to combat the sheer stupidity that is going on with the core GNOME development.
</twenty_two_cents>

If you can not able use Perl for answer, you are ask wrong question.

#33 2013-05-03 12:19:05

frostbittenking

lmello wrote:
frostbittenking wrote:

This happens with gnome-mplayer too, but not with totem. Strange. The latest GTK+3 is buggy, and probably this affects the Qt-GTK interface. Try to set another GUI-style from qtconfig-qt4 to see if that happens again.

Ok, cool. At least I'm not the only one (like lvm booting fails every second/third time, but that's another story).

#34 2013-05-05 11:48:42

alex_anthony

For the nautilus thing, change /org/gtk/settings/file-chooser/show-hidden to false in dconf-editor (or with gsettings)

I had some strange window order issues, but I think they were largely from a dodgy shell extension and a slightly crusty config (weren't present in a new account).

#35 2013-05-14 07:59:38

echo2012

Seems after "pacman -Syu", this fix won't work anymore.

VirtualTam wrote:

There is an embryo of documentation on the Gnome FAQ regarding the possibility to keep the working directory when opening a new tab :

Since version 3.7, for new terminals to start in the working directory of the current terminal, it is necessary for the shell running in the terminal to cooperate. For this, vte installs a bash shell script that you must use in your bash PS1 prompt. For example, you can put this at the end of your ~/.bashrc file:

export PS1='\[$(__vte_ps1)\]'$PS1

To get it work, you have to source vte.sh in your .bashrc, as stated here:

. /etc/profile.d/vte.sh
export PS1='\[$(__vte_ps1)\]'$PS1

#36 2013-05-14 11:31:25

drenninghoff

vte was updated. Now you only have to add this to your ~/.bashrc:

. /etc/profile.d/vte.sh

#37 2013-05-14 13:34:30

lmello

drenninghoff wrote:

. /etc/profile.d/vte.sh

Cool, now we have two 'operation modes'. This well could be switched via the preferences tab tough.

#38 2013-05-15 21:24:03

japgolly

drenninghoff wrote:

. /etc/profile.d/vte.sh

Doesn't work for me. sad
I'm sourcing the file but every time I open a new tab it's in my home directory.

#39 2013-05-16 08:47:57

lxz

gnome-terminal + keep current directory: i usually open new windows instead of tabs, but ran into the same issue here
it's been getting on my nerves...

vte solution didn't work for me either (zsh + ohmyzsh user, sourcing or adding it to ps1 in zshrc didn't do the trick)

i tried xdotool to get the current folder into a new window, but timing didn't work right

instead, i added this at the end of my ~/.zshrc and ~/.bashrc

function nw {
  gnome-terminal --window --working-directory=`pwd` &&
  echo -e -n "\033[1A\033[K"
}

type nw to open a new gnome-terminal window which keeps the current directory
(the second line jumps up on the commandline + erases what you typed, so if i type nw it doesn't show in the original terminal anymore)

my 2 cents: i hate workarounds for something that must be fixed upstream

edit: added bonus: n+w+enter = 3 keys, same effort as ctrl+shift+n big_smile
edit: works for all cases, except when something is running in my shell and i can't type in the command and get it executed

Last edited by lxz (2013-05-16 11:37:14)

#40 2013-05-16 21:31:44

lmello

japgolly wrote:
drenninghoff wrote:

. /etc/profile.d/vte.sh

Doesn't work for me. sad
I'm sourcing the file but every time I open a new tab it's in my home directory.

works here, make sure you make /etc/profile.d/vte.sh executable:

# If using vte
[ -x /etc/profile.d/vte.sh ] && . /etc/profile.d/vte.sh

Last edited by lmello (2013-05-16 21:40:04)

#41 2013-05-16 22:17:17

japgolly

lmello wrote:

# If using vte

I'm doing it slightly differently but should have the same effect.

[ -e /etc/profile.d/vte.sh ] && source /etc/profile.d/vte.sh

It was working fine until the change that deprecated  __vte_ps1.

#42 2013-05-17 16:44:56

hpstg

I have a problem with the search results. They appear on threes. This http://i.imgur.com/QAVDwix.jpg picture illustrates the problem.

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

#43 2013-05-17 21:02:27

Thorsten Reinbold

More problematic is: the results are repeated again and again. I've recognized this, too. Are there any known solutions?

#44 2013-05-18 19:38:11

lmello

Thorsten Reinbold wrote:

More problematic is: the results are repeated again and again. I've recognized this, too. Are there any known solutions?

Sorry, no clue... doesn't happen to me, well it used to happen, not anymore. What version of the Shell are you using?

#45 2013-07-10 16:35:31

echo2012

japgolly wrote:
lmello wrote:

# If using vte

I'm doing it slightly differently but should have the same effect.

[ -e /etc/profile.d/vte.sh ] && source /etc/profile.d/vte.sh

It was working fine until the change that deprecated  __vte_ps1.

Since the feature from update doesn't make me happy, I get the old vte.sh code back:

__vte_ps1() (
  printf "\033]7;file://%s" ${HOSTNAME:-$(hostname)}
  __vte_urlencode "$PWD"
  printf "\a"
)

Or, better, I put __vte_ps1 and __vte_urlencode(can get from latest vte.sh) in .bashrc.

#46 2013-08-15 13:07:12

Sharagoz

I cant bring back the "new tab, same directory" feature after doing pacman -Suy a couple of days ago. Do anybody still got this working with latest gnome-terminal (bash) and vte?

#47 2013-08-17 05:35:18

orschiro
Website

Sharagoz wrote:

I cant bring back the "new tab, same directory" feature after doing pacman -Suy a couple of days ago. Do anybody still got this working with latest gnome-terminal (bash) and vte?

It is still working for me. Just having this in .bashrc:

. /etc/profile.d/vte.sh

Board footer