You are not logged in.

#3351 2014-11-21 20:24:13

aw
Website

Re: KVM VGA-Passthrough using the new vfio-vga support in kernel =>3.9

thearcherblog wrote:
aw wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:

Any suggestion to my "it's in use" issue?

I really do not know what else to try...

Thanks wink

Add

,if=none

to your disk option, otherwise I think it's automatically getting added to the vfio-scsi-pci device before the scsi-hd device is being parsed.

Thanks smile

With that seems to load the fine the hard drive but how can I attach both cdroms (one virtio and one IDE/SATA) if all are giving me the same error?

I'm not sure you're reasoning for wanting a virtio cdrom really makes sense, but last time I did an install to a virtio disk I used this to have one cd for the install iso and one for the virtio iso:

-drive file=/path/to/windows.iso,if=none,id=dvd0,media=cdrom \
-device ide-cd,drive=dvd0,bootindex=0 \
-drive file=/path/to/virtio-drivers.iso,if=none,id=dvd1,media=cdrom \
-device ide-cd,drive=dvd1 \

http://vfio.blogspot.com
Looking for a more open forum to discuss vfio related uses?  Try https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/vfio-users

#3352 2014-11-21 20:41:32

thearcherblog

aw wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:
aw wrote:

Add

,if=none

to your disk option, otherwise I think it's automatically getting added to the vfio-scsi-pci device before the scsi-hd device is being parsed.

Thanks smile

With that seems to load the fine the hard drive but how can I attach both cdroms (one virtio and one IDE/SATA) if all are giving me the same error?

I'm not sure you're reasoning for wanting a virtio cdrom really makes sense, but last time I did an install to a virtio disk I used this to have one cd for the install iso and one for the virtio iso:

-drive file=/path/to/windows.iso,if=none,id=dvd0,media=cdrom \
-device ide-cd,drive=dvd0,bootindex=0 \
-drive file=/path/to/virtio-drivers.iso,if=none,id=dvd1,media=cdrom \
-device ide-cd,drive=dvd1 \

Thanks a lot!!

I will try as soon as I arrive home smile

The reason is (please correct me if I'm wrong), Virtio devices should be faster and the IDE cdrom is for having the ISO drivers mounted so I can install Windows 7 and browse for the drivers on the installation smile

Regards,

TheArcher

#3353 2014-11-21 20:47:35

aw
Website

thearcherblog wrote:

The reason is (please correct me if I'm wrong), Virtio devices should be faster and the IDE cdrom is for having the ISO drivers mounted so I can install Windows 7 and browse for the drivers on the installation smile

That sounds like excessive optimization to me.  IDE emulation is not that bad, especially for an optical drive where you're not seeking all over the platter and doing a zillion small reads and writes.  When you're backing an IDE drive by a disk image of the ISO, it's already an order of magnitude faster than real hardware.

Looking for a more open forum to discuss vfio related uses?  Try https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/vfio-users

#3354 2014-11-21 21:19:52

thearcherblog

aw wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:

That sounds like excessive optimization to me.  IDE emulation is not that bad, especially for an optical drive where you're not seeking all over the platter and doing a zillion small reads and writes.  When you're backing an IDE drive by a disk image of the ISO, it's already an order of magnitude faster than real hardware.

Ok, then, recommended installation for Windows 7 would be with SATA hard drive and IDE cdrom? and in that case, can you help me with the setup, please? (I check the first post but I still have the same issue... maybe I need to sleep more and try tomorrow smile

Thanks a lot for you help, I will let you know how it goes tomorrow smile

Regards,

TheArcher

#3355 2014-11-21 21:22:15

aw
Website

thearcherblog wrote:
aw wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:

Ok, then, recommended installation for Windows 7 would be with SATA hard drive and IDE cdrom? and in that case, can you help me with the setup, please? (I check the first post but I still have the same issue... maybe I need to sleep more and try tomorrow smile

Wait a sec, I never recommended SATA for the hard disk.  The above was all about the optical drives.  I'd still use virtio for the hard drive in the VM.

#3356 2014-11-22 07:20:20

thearcherblog

aw wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:
aw wrote:

Wait a sec, I never recommended SATA for the hard disk.  The above was all about the optical drives.  I'd still use virtio for the hard drive in the VM.

Good morning,

Ok, I will try now with virtio for the hard drive and sata/ide for the cdrom.

I need 2 optical drives, one for Windows iso and the second one for virtio drivers.

I will let you know in a few minutes how is going.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Regards,

TheArcher

Edit: Works perfect with the first DVD but when I add the second one gives me the following error:

qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,drive=dvd1: Can't create IDE unit 1, bus supports only 1 units
qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,drive=dvd1: Device initialization failed.
qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,drive=dvd1: Device 'ide-cd' could not be initialized

I will try to mount the second optical drive in another way smile

Thanks a lot master!

Last edited by thearcherblog (2014-11-22 07:47:42)

#3357 2014-11-22 08:28:55

Denso

thearcherblog wrote:

Edit: Works perfect with the first DVD but when I add the second one gives me the following error:

Hi . Try using this :

-device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi \
-drive file=/VMs/Windows.iso,id=iso_install,if=none \
-device scsi-cd,drive=iso_install \
-cdrom /VMs/virtio.iso \

Change the paths to ISOs accordingly .

Hope this helps smile

#3358 2014-11-22 08:56:32

thearcherblog

Denso wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:

Hi . Try using this :

-drive file=/VMs/Windows.iso,id=iso_install,if=none \
-cdrom /VMs/virtio.iso \

Change the paths to ISOs accordingly .

Hope this helps smile

Hello smile

Thanks a lot for your suggestion smile

Seems like boots fine into the Windows 7 installation but cannot load the virtio drivers, seems like is not "mounting" the virtio.iso.

Right now my qemu command is:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -M q35 -m 8192 -cpu host,kvm=off -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 -bios /usr/share/qemu/bios.bin -vga cirrus -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=off -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,if=virtio -drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso,if=none,id=dvd0,media=cdrom -device scsi-cd,drive=dvd0,bootindex=0 -cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso 

Regards,

TheArcher

New way of booting... but Windows is not detecting CD/DVD or HD...:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -M q35 -m 8192 -cpu host,kvm=off -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 -bios /usr/share/qemu/bios.bin -vga cirrus -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=off -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1 -drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,if=virtio -cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso -drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso,index=3,media=cdrom -rtc base=localtime,clock=host -usbdevice tablet -boot menu=on

Last edited by thearcherblog (2014-11-22 10:54:12)

#3359 2014-11-22 12:55:31

Denso

Seems like boots fine into the Windows 7 installation but cannot load the virtio drivers, seems like is not "mounting" the virtio.iso.

umm ... Can you please try the exact command lines I posted and see if it works ? I use those lines for all of my VMs and they are working just fine .

PS . You don't need to add "-bios /path/to/bios/bin" in recent QEMU releases .

Last edited by Denso (2014-11-22 12:56:48)

#3360 2014-11-22 14:05:35

thearcherblog

Denso wrote:

umm ... Can you please try the exact command lines I posted and see if it works ? I use those lines for all of my VMs and they are working just fine .

PS . You don't need to add "-bios /path/to/bios/bin" in recent QEMU releases .

With the following command:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -M q35 -m 8192 -cpu host,kvm=off -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 -vga cirrus -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=off -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img -drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso,id=iso_install,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=iso_install -cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso -boot menu=on

I start the installation but gives me an error about "required CD/DVD device driver is missing..." ; if I browse looking for drivers I can see the X drive (dvd mounted with HD icon) and C and D (from the win7.img, previous installation) but I cannot see the virtio.iso or the Windows iso mounted as a DVD instead of CD/DVD.

Anyway, on the Qemu bios during the F12 boot menu I can see the AHCI hard drive and both DVD...

Please, do not hesitate to contact me to make more  testing because, hoestly, I do not know what else to try smile

Regards,

TheArcher

Last edited by thearcherblog (2014-11-22 15:36:45)

#3361 2014-11-22 15:48:38

Denso

Sorry for not providing the commandline for the HDD too . Here , try these :

-drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native \
-device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive0,ioeventfd=on,bootindex=1 \
-drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso,id=iso_install,if=none \
-cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso \

Just copy/paste , I modified it to suit your files paths wink

Keep us posted !

#3362 2014-11-22 16:20:07

thearcherblog

Denso wrote:

Sorry for not providing the commandline for the HDD too . Here , try these :

-drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native \
-drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso,id=iso_install,if=none \
-cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso \

Just copy/paste , I modified it to suit your files paths wink

Keep us posted !

Hello sir!!

I tried with you command attached to my the one I have:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -M q35 -m 8192 -cpu host,kvm=off -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 -vga cirrus -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=off -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1 -drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive0,ioeventfd=on,bootindex=1 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso,id=iso_install,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=iso_install -cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso -boot menu=on

And boots ok from Windows CD (and the other DVD (virtio drivers) and the HD (with virtio drivers) look fine on F12 boot menu but windows does not detect anything during installation and when I browse looking for drivers, only X drive with HD icon is there.

F12 Boot Menu shows:

1.- Virtio disk PCI:0:3
2.- Legacy option rom
3.- Floppy [drive A]
4.- DVD/CD [AHCI/2: QEMU DVD-ROM ATAPI-4 DVD/CD]
5.- DVD/CD [virtio-scsi Drive QEMU QEMU CD-ROM 2.1.]]
6.- iPXE (PCI 00:02.0)

Thanks a lot for your help but still having the same issue. Maybe I have something wrong and I do not know sad

Regards,

TheArcher

Last edited by thearcherblog (2014-11-22 16:27:43)

#3363 2014-11-22 16:22:43

biasha

in the examples i've seen vga card is connected via ioh3420, but i don't see difference when connect it directly.

could someone please explain which way is correct?

-device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=0.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=0.1 \

or simply

-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1 \

#3364 2014-11-22 16:32:02

aw
Website

thearcherblog wrote:

qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,drive=dvd1: Can't create IDE unit 1, bus supports only 1 units
qemu-system-x86_64: -device ide-cd,drive=dvd1: Device 'ide-cd' could not be initialized

Perhaps because you're using q35, which I no longer recommend for Windows guests.  q35 uses sata, so you only get 1 unit per "bus".  440fx emulates pata, so you get 2 units per "bus".

#3365 2014-11-22 16:33:39

thearcherblog

aw wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:

Perhaps because you're using q35, which I no longer recommend for Windows guests.  q35 uses sata, so you only get 1 unit per "bus".  440fx emulates pata, so you get 2 units per "bus".

Ahhh ok, to be honest, I do not have any preference if I can pass my VGA smile

Can you share your full qemu command to start my computer using 440fx? Because I think that with the 440fx I cannot use the ioh3420 so... this is a mess in my head XD

And thanks a lot for you help and support smile

Last edited by thearcherblog (2014-11-22 16:35:42)

#3366 2014-11-22 16:35:41

aw
Website

biasha wrote:

in the examples i've seen vga card is connected via ioh3420, but i don't see difference when connect it directly.

could someone please explain which way is correct?

-device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=0.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=0.1 \

or simply

-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1 \

If you're running a Windows guest, I recommend 440fx and the latter (but note that for multifunction=on to be useful you need to specify an addr= like done in the first example, but not 0.).  Q35 and the former example are only necessary for Linux guests and drivers that assume the graphics card topology.

#3367 2014-11-22 16:38:33

aw
Website

thearcherblog wrote:
aw wrote:
thearcherblog wrote:

Ahhh ok, to be honest, I do not have any preference if I can pass my VGA smile

Can you share your full qemu command to start my computer using 440fx? Because I think that with the 440fx I cannot use the ioh3420 so... this is a mess in my head XD

And thanks a lot for you help and support smile

There's an example in the blog

#3368 2014-11-22 17:02:31

thearcherblog

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -rtc base=localtime -m 8192 -cpu host,hv-time,kvm=off -smp sockets=1,cores=8 -vga cirrus -monitor stdio -serial none -parallel none -nodefconfig -drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive0,ioeventfd=on,bootindex=1 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso,id=iso_install,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=iso_install -cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso -boot menu=on -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,multifunction=on,addr=1.0,x-vga=off
[sudo] password for jgomez: 

QEMU 2.1.91 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,multifunction=on,addr=1.0,x-vga=off: PCI: slot 1 function 0 not available for vfio-pci, in use by PIIX3
qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,multifunction=on,addr=1.0,x-vga=off: Device initialization failed.
qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,multifunction=on,addr=1.0,x-vga=off: Device 'vfio-pci' could not be initialized

I do not know if I'm closer to be working or not XD

Suggestions or ideas?

Thanks a lot to all for the patience smile

Last edited by thearcherblog (2014-11-22 17:09:33)

#3369 2014-11-22 17:19:21

sinny

thearcherblog wrote:
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -rtc base=localtime -m 8192 -cpu host,hv-time,kvm=off -smp sockets=1,cores=8 -vga cirrus -monitor stdio -serial none -parallel none -nodefconfig -drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive0,ioeventfd=on,bootindex=1 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso,id=iso_install,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=iso_install -cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso -boot menu=on -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,multifunction=on,addr=1.0,x-vga=off
[sudo] password for jgomez: 

QEMU 2.1.91 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,multifunction=on,addr=1.0,x-vga=off: PCI: slot 1 function 0 not available for vfio-pci, in use by PIIX3
qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,multifunction=on,addr=1.0,x-vga=off: Device initialization failed.
qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,multifunction=on,addr=1.0,x-vga=off: Device 'vfio-pci' could not be initialized

I do not know if I'm closer to be working or not XD

Suggestions or ideas?

Thanks a lot to all for the patience :)

man, are you happy with completely turning vga passthrough thread to qemu newbie tech support one (these are entirely unrelated areas of knowledge, in case you care)?

stop bugging people with your completely thread-unrelated stuff and do this:
- install windows without virtio
- add virtio dummy (e.g.: /dev/null) hdd image and virtio drivers iso (this is a good step to switch your network to virtio as well)
- boot into windows, install all the drivers it asks, shutdown
- remove virtio drivers iso, switch your main hdd to virtio
- done

in case you fail at any step - read the damned mans or use google: vga passthrough DO REQUIRE some basic knowledge

#3370 2014-11-22 17:20:30

aw
Website

thearcherblog wrote:
PCI: slot 1 function 0 not available for vfio-pci, in use by PIIX3

You've picked an addr= that's in use by the chipset, please try to read and understand the error message.  The example in the blog uses 9.0 for the GPU.

#3371 2014-11-22 17:24:10

thearcherblog

Sinny:

Sorry, that was not my intention at all.

I was starting with the first post and found some problems with it. I'm not expert at all, but I'm not completely newbie.

I guess that in this thread not all the people have this BASIC KNOWLEDGE that you say but, anyway, thanks a lot.

I will try on my own way and share it after if it's a succesfull story smile

Anyway, thanks a lot to all smile

Regards,

TheArcher

#3372 2014-11-22 18:06:08

Denso

@thearcherblog :

Here is my full command line , I'm using 440FX + OVMF :

qemu-system-x86_64 -name main -nographic -mem-path /dev/hugepages \
-enable-kvm -m 8192 -cpu host,kvm=off -smp 2,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1 \
-vga none \
-drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/ovmf/x64/ovmf_code_x64.bin \
-drive if=pflash,format=raw,file=/VMs/ovmf_main.bin \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,multifunction=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.1 \
-device vfio-pci,host=0f:00.0 \
-drive file=/VMs/Win_Main.qed,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native \
-drive file=/VMs/Win10.iso,id=iso_install,if=none \
-cdrom /VMs/virtio.iso \
-net nic,model=virtio,macaddr=64:C5:63:3C:1B:22 -net bridge,br=br0 \
-localtime \
-monitor unix:/tmp/vm_main,server,nowait &

Hope it helps !

Last edited by Denso (2014-11-22 18:06:40)

#3373 2014-11-22 20:48:14

thearcherblog

Denso wrote:

@thearcherblog :

Here is my full command line , I'm using 440FX + OVMF :

qemu-system-x86_64 -name main -nographic -mem-path /dev/hugepages \
-enable-kvm -m 8192 -cpu host,kvm=off -smp 2,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1 \
-vga none \
-drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/ovmf/x64/ovmf_code_x64.bin \
-drive if=pflash,format=raw,file=/VMs/ovmf_main.bin \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,multifunction=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.1 \
-device vfio-pci,host=0f:00.0 \
-drive file=/VMs/Win_Main.qed,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native \
-drive file=/VMs/Win10.iso,id=iso_install,if=none \
-cdrom /VMs/virtio.iso \
-net nic,model=virtio,macaddr=64:C5:63:3C:1B:22 -net bridge,br=br0 \
-localtime \
-monitor unix:/tmp/vm_main,server,nowait &

Hope it helps !

Hello sir!!

Good news and bad news smile

The good ones: I manage the installation using the following command (Virtio for Hard drive + DVD and IDE for the drivers, 2 DVD + 1 HD)

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -rtc base=localtime -m 8192 -cpu host,hv-time,kvm=off -smp sockets=1,cores=8 -serial none -parallel none -nodefconfig -drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive0,ioeventfd=on,bootindex=1 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/X17-59186.iso,id=iso_install,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=iso_install -cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1 -boot menu=on -vga none

The bad ones... Error 43 XD

I read a lot about and I have the kvm=off option and my drivers are 340.52 (according to http://vfio.blogspot.no/2014/08/vfiovga-faq.html shoud be ok)

At the moment I'm using teamviewer to remote connect to that computer... I think I need to do it with VNC or similar but I also need to make a bridge network... too many things for today!

Anyway, I'm really happy and I will continue tomorrow a bit more smile

But before going to sleep... I want to give a big thanks to all of you!!!

#3374 2014-11-23 06:09:28

Denso

Hi . Good to hear that you got your installation done !

Try removing "hv-time" , and see if it would work .

If it didn't work , you can try 440FX + OVMF . See my script above and adapt it to your configuration .

You'd need a UEFI capable GPU + ovmf-svn from AUR .

EDIT :

I also use VNC to setup my VMs in the first stage . But then , you must disable it for VGA passthrough to work .

To enable it , use :

-vga std \
-vnc :0 \

Then use a VNC client , point it to the host's IP:PORT , like : 10.0.1.55:0

Or even better , you can setup TightVNC server inside Windows , and use it with GPU passthrough at the same time .

Last edited by Denso (2014-11-23 08:16:28)

#3375 2014-11-23 08:50:09

thearcherblog

Denso wrote:

Hi . Good to hear that you got your installation done !

Try removing "hv-time" , and see if it would work .

If it didn't work , you can try 440FX + OVMF . See my script above and adapt it to your configuration .

You'd need a UEFI capable GPU + ovmf-svn from AUR .

EDIT :

I also use VNC to setup my VMs in the first stage . But then , you must disable it for VGA passthrough to work .

To enable it , use :

-vga std \
-vnc :0 \

Then use a VNC client , point it to the host's IP:PORT , like : 10.0.1.55:0

Or even better , you can setup TightVNC server inside Windows , and use it with GPU passthrough at the same time .

Good morning all smile

Following you steps, I manage to install Windows 8 (7 was not working do not know why) smile

Unfortunately, I'm still with error 43. Version 340.52.

This is my startup command:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -name main -enable-kvm -localtime -m 8192 -cpu host,kvm=off -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/ovmf/x64/ovmf_code_x64.bin -smp sockets=1,cores=4 -serial none -parallel none -nodefconfig -drive file=/home/jgomez/VM/win7.img,cache=writeback,if=none,id=drive0,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive0,ioeventfd=on,bootindex=1 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -drive file=/home/jgomez/Downloads/win8.iso,id=iso_install,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=iso_install -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1 -cdrom /home/jgomez/Downloads/virtio.iso -vga none

Connecting through Teamviewer (I will check VNC after smile)

I will investigate a bit more and if I'm success I will let you know really soon smile

Thanks a lot!

Board footer