You are not logged in.

#26 2013-06-03 21:07:17

GloW_on_dub

Re: Humble Bundle 8

Hotline Miami work out of the box for me, and it's awesome. (x64, full screen, 1920 1080, no V-SYNC, nvidia)

I got lot of tearing problem with Thome was alone though, and without any reason it works now...

Last edited by GloW_on_dub (2013-06-03 21:34:34)

#27 2013-06-04 13:40:00

jono

Took a while, but I got them all to run. I'm on a 64 bit system so I had to manually install a boatload of lib32 libraries. I downloaded all the 32-bit .bins from the humble site manually.

#28 2013-06-05 01:51:49

sas

4 more games have been added to the bundle (see announcement):

• Tiny & Big in Grandpa’s Leftovers - no AUR package yet (but there is the tinyandbig AUR package for the free teaser/demo prequel)

• English Country Tune - no AUR package yet

• Intrusion 2 - AUR package intrusion2-hib by yours truly

• Oil Rush - AUR package oilrush by flow (but it is outdated and does not yet work with the current Humble Bundle release)

Also, two more AUR packages for the original bundle games - hotlinemiami and littleinferno - were created by J0k3r but not yet mentioned in this thread.

jono wrote:

Took a while, but I got them all to run. I'm on a 64 bit system so I had to manually install a boatload of lib32 libraries.

Well, you could have saved yourself that trouble if you had used the AUR packages... that's what they're for smile

Last edited by sas (2013-06-05 04:48:50)

#29 2013-06-05 02:39:30

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

sas wrote:

4 more games have been added to the bundle

Also, two more AUR packages for the original bundle games not yet mentioned in this thread.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

All the best,

-HG

#30 2013-06-05 03:35:43

silverhammermba
Wiki Maintainer

So I figured out that you can get Hotline Miami to launch through Steam pretty easily. Try to install through Steam and it will say "Missing executable" or something, but it creates an empty directory:

~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/hotline_miami

Just extract the tar from the humble bundle in there and it will work. I'm trying to play the same trick with Little Inferno (it creates an empty "Little Inferno Beta" directory) but extracting the files in there doesn't do it. I'm guessing I need to rename the binary, but I don't know how to determine what Steam is trying to launch.

#31 2013-06-05 06:38:03

mid-kid

I'm trying to package awesomenauts.

I got as far as ldd'ing the binary and finding out what the deps are:
[spoiler]

lib32-mesa-libgl or the nvidia variant
lib32-glu
lib32-glibc
lib32-freetype2
lib32-libx11
lib32-gcc-libs
lib32-mesa
lib32-libxext
lib32-libxdamage
lib32-libxfixes
lib32-libxcb
lib32-libxxf86vm
lib32-libdrm
lib32-zlib
lib32-bzip2
lib32-libxau
lib32-libxdmcp
if using intel graphics, you also need lib32-intel-dri

[/spoiler]

But now I'm struggling with the installer to get the files in the right place. (it places desktop files in .local/share/applications -_-)
Is there any way I can run that installer in a sort of a sandbox so I can force it to place files where they belong?

Last edited by mid-kid (2013-06-05 06:43:27)

If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough.

#32 2013-06-05 08:02:41

ChemBro

silverhammermba wrote:

So I figured out that you can get Hotline Miami to launch through Steam pretty easily. Try to install through Steam and it will say "Missing executable" or something

The right way (atm) is to opt-in to the beta, password "hlm". Then you won't get a "missing executable".

#33 2013-06-05 08:11:47

sas

mid-kid wrote:

I'm trying to package awesomenauts.

The reason no one has created an AUR package for it yet, is that the downloadable DRM-free version of this game only includes the single-player mode, which I've heard is not really so much fun compared to the online multiplayer mode that the game was originally designed for (I haven't tried it though). Online multiplayer is only available in the steam version. (If you bought the Humble Bundle you can click the "redeem steam keys" link on your bundle page and then play it through steam.)

Of course, you are free to package the downloadable non-steam version for AUR, if you disagree with those who think it isn't worth it... smile

mid-kid wrote:

I got as far as ldd'ing the binary and finding out what the deps are:

For the record, the ldd output does not always cover all needed dependencies, some games try to manually load some more libraries after they've started (especially sound libraries).

mid-kid wrote:

lib32-mesa-libgl or the nvidia variant

...or the ATI variant. They all provide the virtual package "lib32-libgl" though, so that's what you should include in the PKGBUILD's depends=() array.

Regarding the other library packages you list, many are redundant as they will are already be dragged in by other ones in the list, e.g. lib32-mesa already drags in many of the X11 ones (lib32-libx11, lib32-x*) and practically everything drags in glibc. So no need to include those in the depends=() array.

mid-kid wrote:

But now I'm struggling with the installer to get the files in the right place. (it places desktop files in .local/share/applications -_-)
Is there any way I can run that installer in a sort of a sandbox so I can force it to place files where they belong?

Don't run the installer. Extract it without executing it's automated installation code.

I'm not sure which self-extracting installer technology (nixstaller, makeself, etc.) this particular game installer uses, as I don't have it downloaded, but judging from previous experience with Humble Bundle game installers one of the following methods should work:

bsdtar xvf "${_installer}" -C data/    # makepkg uses this itself, so no need to adjust makedepends=()
unzip "${_installer}" -d data/         # add 'unzip' to makedepends=() if you need to use this
sh "${_installer}" --tar xvf -C data/
lzma -d < "${_installer}" | tar xvf - -C data/

(This assumes ${_installer} holds the name of the installer file, you're in the right directory, and you've run mkdir -p data/ beforehand):

Last edited by sas (2013-06-05 08:48:40)

#34 2013-06-05 14:05:07

mid-kid

sas wrote:

Of course, you are free to package the downloadable non-steam version for AUR, if you disagree with those who think it isn't worth it... smile

Thanks for giving me a chance to disagree tongue

sas wrote:

For the record, the ldd output does not always cover all needed dependencies, some games try to manually load some more libraries after they've started (especially sound libraries).

I know, that's why I also installed in a chroot (using xhost on the host). I didn't test the sound though because my speakers are broken.

sas wrote:

...or the ATI variant. They all provide the virtual package "lib32-libgl" though, so that's what you should include in the PKGBUILD's depends=() array.

Thanks for pointing me to the "lib32-libgl" package, I was looking for it.

sas wrote:

egarding the other library packages you list, many are redundant as they will are already be dragged in by other ones in the list, e.g. lib32-mesa already drags in many of the X11 ones (lib32-libx11, lib32-x*) and practically everything drags in glibc. So no need to include those in the depends=() array.

I usually fix that after succesfully making the package, using namcap tongue

sas wrote:

Don't run the installer. Extract it without executing it's automated installation code.

I'm not sure which self-extracting installer technology (nixstaller, makeself, etc.) this particular game installer uses, as I don't have it downloaded, but judging from previous experience with Humble Bundle game installers one of the following methods should work:

bsdtar xvf "${_installer}" -C data/    # makepkg uses this itself, so no need to adjust makedepends=()
unzip "${_installer}" -d data/         # add 'unzip' to makedepends=() if you need to use this
sh "${_installer}" --tar xvf -C data/
lzma -d < "${_installer}" | tar xvf - -C data/

(This assumes ${_installer} holds the name of the installer file, you're in the right directory, and you've run mkdir -p data/ beforehand):

I didn't know that was possible.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

-Excuse my bad english-

EDIT: bsdtar and unzip worked. I'm gonna use bsdtar. The installer was made with mojosetup btw.

Last edited by mid-kid (2013-06-05 18:42:08)

#35 2013-06-05 14:32:39

sas

Created an AUR package for Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

#36 2013-06-06 13:58:19

mid-kid

Created an AUR package for Awesomenauts

#37 2013-06-08 21:43:13

mikeroll

Created an AUR Package for English Country Tune

#38 2013-06-10 01:07:46

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Nice work! Has anyone had issues with thomaswasalone not playing with audio? (needed pulse's alsa plugin)

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-06-10 04:35:35)

#39 2013-06-10 23:33:44

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Woohoo! Dear Esther just went native! (bad news: uses a .bin installer)

However, the data files can be extracted using bsdtar, so packaging still shouldn't be that much of a concern. The following PKGBULD builds correctly:

# Maintainer: Sam Stuewe <halosghost at archlinux dot info>
pkgname=dearesther-hib
pkgver=06082013
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='An immersive 3D narrative exploration game (Humble Bundle version)'
url='http://dear-esther.com'
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('custom:commercial')
depends=('glu' 'libxi' 'gcc-libs')
[ "$CARCH" == 'x86_64' ] && depends+=('lib32-glu' 'lib32-libxi' 'lib32-gcc-libs')
options=('!strip' '!upx')
PKGEXT='.pkg.tar'
DLAGENTS+=('hib::/usr/bin/echo "Could not find %u. Manually download it to \"$(pwd)\", or set up a hib:// DLAGENT in /etc/makepkg.conf."; exit 1')

_installer="${pkgname//hib/linux}-${pkgver}-bin"
source=("hib://${_installer}")
sha256sums=('4b3368e9cd83f371b6ea63814ce1ec5db733d5ef3229e3f78bdc530c268076a4')

prepare() {
   echo -e "#!/usr/bin/bash\n(pushd /opt/${pkgname//-hib/}\n./Dear_Esther)" \
        > "launcher.sh"
}

package() {
   install -Dm755 "launcher.sh" "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/${pkgname//-hib/}"

cd data
   install -d "${pkgdir}/opt/${pkgname//-hib/}"
   cp -a --no-preserve=ownership * "${pkgdir}/opt/${pkgname//-hib/}"
   chmod 755 "${pkgdir}/opt/${pkgname//-hib/}/Dear_Esther"
}

but the game doesn't run correctly, it returns the following message and then nothing else happens (no game window opens, etc.):

Dear Esther: Installed in '/opt/dearesther'.

If anyone has any suggestions for getting it to run, please let me know.

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-06-11 01:31:32)

#40 2013-06-12 01:55:08

ejona86

but the game doesn't run correctly, it returns the following message and then nothing else happens (no game window opens, etc.):

Dear Esther: Installed in '/opt/dearesther'.

Dear_Esther is a shell script. The last line sends stdout and stderr to /dev/null. Delete that portion of the exec line and run again. I get a GLXBadFBConfig error. I'm running on amd64 with open source ATI drivers.

#41 2013-06-12 01:57:12

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

ejona86 wrote:

Dear_Esther is a shell script. The last line sends stdout and stderr to /dev/null. Delete that portion of the exec line and run again. I get a GLXBadFBConfig error. I'm running on amd64 with open source ATI drivers.

I just confirmed this as well for nouveau. Seems like it might be a dependency problem then. I'm having trouble figuring out how to ldd it and see what dependencies I might be missing. Any thoughts on trouble-shooting this?

All the best,

-HG

#42 2013-06-12 10:47:03

sas

@HalosGhost

Your PKGBUILD works fine for me (ATI Catalyst, 64bit system).

To try and solve your problem, first make sure that 32bit OpenGL rendering actually works on your system.
(If you're on 64bit, run glxinfo32 and confirm it says "direct rendering: Yes").

Next, if you're using one of the open-source drivers, do

export LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose

before running the game, and see if it gives a more useful error message then.

Also, the following additional dependencies are needed for your PKGBUILD (according to namcap): lib32-openal, lib32-fontconfig

-----

ejona86 wrote:

Dear_Esther is a shell script.

Indeed. And since the PKGBUILD is creating its own launch script anyways, I'd bypass Dear_Esther and just use this in the launch script:

#!/usr/bin/sh
cd /opt/dearesther
exec ./dearesther_linux -game dearesther "$@"

Also, consider moving instead of copying the files from $srcdir to $pkgdir in case of a huge data size like this (1.4G unextracted!).
It will make the installation go faster for people who have the temporary build directory mounted on a hard disk, and prevent out-of-memory problems for people who have it mounted in RAM (e.g. inside /tmp).

Last edited by sas (2013-06-12 10:51:45)

#43 2013-06-12 14:47:52

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

sas wrote:

To try and solve your problem, first make sure that 32bit OpenGL rendering actually works on your system.
(If you're on 64bit, run glxinfo32 and confirm it says "direct rendering: Yes").

Next, if you're using one of the open-source drivers, do

export LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose

before running the game, and see if it gives a more useful error message then.

Good catch! Direct rendering is functional, and with the extra debug flag, the game throws these extra errors:

libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/halosghost/.drirc: No such file or directory.

/usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so does exist, so that isn't the problem; I don't know why :0 appears to be DRI2 incapable though…

Also, the following additional dependencies are needed for your PKGBUILD (according to namcap): lib32-openal, lib32-fontconfig

Added.

Indeed. And since the PKGBUILD is creating its own launch script anyways, I'd bypass Dear_Esther and just use this in the launch script:

#!/usr/bin/sh
cd /opt/dearesther
exec ./dearesther_linux -game dearesther "$@"

I had thought of doing something like this. I still might (though I'll use subshells and pushd instead of `cd` if I do). I think I am also going to move to have the script be included as a separate source file. If I bypass Dear_Esther, I should also include the ld_library_path export; it will just be cleaner to have the launcher script separate.

Also, consider moving instead of copying the files from $srcdir to $pkgdir in case of a huge data size like this (1.4G unextracted!).
It will make the installation go faster for people who have the temporary build directory mounted on a hard disk, and prevent out-of-memory problems for people who have it mounted in RAM (e.g. inside /tmp).

Of course, the preferred method is using install over either `cp` or `mv`, and I'm trying to figure out a viable way of doing that, but you are right that having such a giant source and package is a pain. I'll see what I can do.

All the best,

-HG

[Edit]: Updated PKGBUILD and the new launcher script (currently paths are hard-coded; that might change in the future):

#!/bin/sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/dearesther/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

(pushd /opt/dearesther
./dearesther_linux -game dearesther "$@")

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-06-12 15:07:28)

#44 2013-06-12 20:07:30

sas

HalosGhost wrote:

/usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so does exist, so that isn't the problem; I don't know why :0 appears to be DRI2 incapable though…

swrast is the fallback software renderer - if it tries to use that, then direct rendering has already failed.

You do have lib32-nouveau-dri (or lib32-ati-dri) installed, right?
Do other 32bit OpenGL games work?

HalosGhost wrote:

I'll use subshells and pushd instead of `cd`

Out of interest, what's the benefit of this?
I thought pushd/popd were mostly useful for interactive CLI navigation.
And a script file already establishes a subshell, so a cd in a script will not affect the shell that executes it.
What am I missing?

#45 2013-06-12 20:59:53

splashy

Tiny & Big in Grandpa’s Leftovers works perfectly with the open-souce radeon driver (Ati Radeon HD 4850 (rv770) using r600g driver). Not a tiny lag at all, beautiful graphics.
Sword and Sworcery worked also without noticing issues - even if it's not part of hib8 I wanted to mention it- .

P.S: I'm on mesa-git repository with linux-mainline 3.10

Last edited by splashy (2013-06-12 21:00:41)

#46 2013-06-12 21:10:26

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

sas wrote:
HalosGhost wrote:

swrast is the fallback software renderer - if it tries to use that, then direct rendering has already failed.

You do have lib32-nouveau-dri (or lib32-ati-dri) installed, right?
Do other 32bit OpenGL games work?

Ahh, I see. I do have lib32-nouveau-dri installed and there are several other opengl/openal games that I've played without issue; I really don't know what's going wrong here.

HalosGhost wrote:

I'll use subshells and pushd instead of `cd`

Out of interest, what's the benefit of this?
I thought pushd/popd were mostly useful for interactive CLI navigation.
And a script file already establishes a subshell, so a cd in a script will not affect the shell that executes it.
What am I missing?

To be entirely honest, I'm not sure why this is considered better-practice, but I've had several people far more experienced with packaging for Arch recommend that I use subshells and pushd in launcher scripts rather than `cd`.

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-06-12 21:10:55)

#47 2013-06-13 08:23:18

ford prefect

@halosghost
i used your PKGBUILD and itworks for me on nvidia hardware.
just a word on versioning:
versionformat ddmmyyyy is not good for updates. yyyymmdd works much better.
to implement this in your logic you could add a variable like _srcver and set it the other way around.
normal humble bundle games do not get updates, but this, i think, might get some fixes, so the version is likely to change.
thanks for considering.

towel-day.com
nvidia ist keine Hautcreme

#48 2013-06-13 08:27:21

opt1mus
Website

ISO 8601 standard is a good date format to adhere to, with - for the want of a better term - all-the-things.

#49 2013-06-13 13:32:48

sas

HalosGhost wrote:

I do have lib32-nouveau-dri installed and there are several other opengl/openal games that I've played without issue; I really don't know what's going wrong here.

Well, it's possible that the mesa-based open-source drivers simply don't yet support this game. (You could ask at contact@humblebundle.com, and if it's true tell them to update the system requirements page.)

I myself haven't used the open-source driver with my ATI graphics card for some time, but when I last tried it some games just didn't work even though they worked fine with the proprietary driver.

ford prefect wrote:

versionformat ddmmyyyy is not good for updates. yyyymmdd works much better.

Definitely.

Also, I personally think that both the upstream version (e.g. 1.4.1) and the Humble Bundle version (e.g. 20130612) should be represented. For many of my hib packages I have used this form:

tinyandbig-hib 1.4.1_20130612

But yesterday I realized that simply combining the two parts with an underscore is a bad idea, since pacman doesn't treat it differently from a dot (or any other special character). So for example with the following version progression...

1.4_20130528  ->  1.4_20130605  ->  1.4.1_20130612

...pacman won't understand that the third one is newer than the second one, because 1 is numerically smaller than 20130605.

This problem does not exists, however, if one or more letters are added to the beginning of the right-hand-side, because parts that start with a letter are always considered "smaller" than purely numeric parts. So my preferred version format for future hib packages is now:

tinyandbig-hib 1.4.1+h20130612

(The choice of the + character is just cosmetic, as _ or . or similar could be used just as well.)

#50 2013-06-13 15:06:50

ford prefect

playing the game, there are some more issues that show up.
for me, playing was not possible w/o lib32-virtualgl (for a friend, it was not needed, maybe because of my optimus graphics?)
my friend needed lib32-sdl and lib32-libpulse, where i only needed the latter.

a bigger issue is that saving settings and game progress does not work, because DE attempts to write to /opt/dearester where normal users dont have write access.
changing this dir to write access seems like a quick and very dirty workaround.

towel-day.com
nvidia ist keine Hautcreme

Board footer