You are not logged in.

#26 2013-12-07 02:25:42

necbot

Re: Radeon, XBMC, HD Audio plus a 50% decrease in CPU usage over Catalyst

I was wondering why this guide uses the xbmc-xvda build.  Can't I use the xbmc build in the community repo?  What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the AUR xbmc-xvba build?

#27 2013-12-21 19:15:42

dominic7il

Thanks I followed your guide but on attempting to run the xbmc service I get a black screen which then reverts to the terminal and vice versa until I kill the process. I'm able to run xterm without issue, however on attempting to run Xorg -configure I get segmentation errors. Sorry I can't be more specific but it just doesn't seem to be reporting any other faults.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can provide.

#28 2013-12-22 21:35:36

dominic7il

OK got it working - turns out the XBMC service has an XDM dependency. All is working now except 1080p content has a noticeable jerkiness to it - it's watchable but highly irritating. Not sure what I can do to fix it I'm using the recommend settings on the first post. Any suggestions? I'm using the E350 chipset with Radeon 6310 graphics if that helps diagnose the issue.

#29 2013-12-23 17:16:36

niekez

dominic7il wrote:

OK got it working - turns out the XBMC service has an XDM dependency. All is working now except 1080p content has a noticeable jerkiness to it - it's watchable but highly irritating. Not sure what I can do to fix it I'm using the recommend settings on the first post. Any suggestions? I'm using the E350 chipset with Radeon 6310 graphics if that helps diagnose the issue.

I'm experiencing the same with 1080p video's. Also E350.

#30 2013-12-23 20:24:43

dominic7il

Good to know I'm not the only one in the boat. I thought I'd give it a go comparing running it as a service vs. executing the binary manually from the xbmc user - same results from both.

My installation differs from the instructions in only two ways:
1) I'm passing the kernal parameters via syslinux as appose to grub - perhaps there is a different syntax for syslinux? Although I don't think there is from the examples I've seen floating around.

2) I'm passing audio through my TV as appose to through an AV receiver which means I've adjusted my audio output settings accordingly. Additionally I don't have the full alsa package but it looks like whilst compiling the xbmc-xvba package pulseaudio got installed as a dependency - perhaps there is a conflict there?

Either way I'm having a nightmare job of it all as the propriatry drivers don't appear to work correctly for my chipset under the latest kernal. Oh and that's another thing, could it be an issue with me having a newer kernal than the one mentioned in the OP?

I'm suprised this topic isn't more active you would have thought that XBMC Hardware Acceleration support for open source drivers would be a big thing...

#31 2013-12-28 20:48:43

niekez

Getting framedrops on 1080p video.

Tried with mesa from repositories as that's version 10 now, but that doesn't help. It used to run fine on the patched kernel with the patched mesa but using the packages from the repository it just doesn't run run smooth anymore.

Maybe ddeeds has something to say about it?

#32 2014-01-03 13:53:44

niekez

Well, I went ahead and installed linux-mainline from aur, as 3.13rc6 has all the patches upstream mentioned in fritsch' xbmc thread for ubuntu (and it's booting now). Then I compiled xbmc-git from aur, I've got no more dropped frames playing 1080p video's. It also has the proper polkit.rules for shutting down etc. Also I don't think you need to necessarily add the kernel parameters and lines to bash for xbmc gotham.

#33 2014-03-08 08:39:41

alextz

Any updates on this? Can we use the mesa and kernel available in the normal repos? Or still have to get them from AUR?

Board footer