You are not logged in.

#51 2013-10-21 03:01:40

isacdaavid
Website

Re: [SOLVED] KDE not working, could not start ksmserver

cfr wrote:

Are you using 32 or 64 bit Arch? That's the only thing I can think since we should have identical binaries otherwise.

If so, I would add that information to the bug report with the output you posted above.

EDIT: Actually, I checked and the 32 bit libreoffice-common binary is not linked against the older version of the library either. So that is not it.

Can you check which package owns the binary?

x86_64 here. This started as i686 and then moved to 64-bit on the fly by following the wiki, but I think that's irrelevant.

Pacman reports /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin is owned by libreoffice-common and /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.52 is owned by icu, as expected. You seem to have correct binaries. I wonder if all the people who posted in this thread already solved the problem with that qt upgrade, which would mean that I'm the only whose binaries are weird. If so I might delete the bug report as well and rather stick to the forums.

What is most worrying is that not only libreoffice but many other binaries are linked against libicuuc.so.51 in my install (nautilus, and other gnome-stuff at least); rendering my system either sort of unusable under current packages or permanently stagnated from now on if I go for the icu/libreoffice downgrade.

I'm downloading libreoffice-common directly from the web browser to compare with my version. Will post results.

Thanks for helping

#52 2013-10-21 20:05:08

cfr

I can't remember if you tried reinstalling libreoffice or not. If so, did you try removing it first and then installing it again?

It strikes me as really peculiar. I wonder if you shouldn't start a new thread or maybe report a post here and ask for it to be split out. Since this one is marked [solved] and concerned what looks like a different issue, yours might get more attention that way - especially with an active and accurate subject.

Last edited by cfr (2013-10-21 20:07:58)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#53 2013-10-22 15:52:32

isacdaavid
Website

Nevermind, it's solved now. I had to purge the package cache and reinstall literally everything with a 'pacman -S $(pacman -Qq)'. Common sense told me that it was because of 90% of my packages being compiled from source and the ABS tree not being atomically synced with the repos that some packages still depended on the older libicuuc soname.

It's a shame I had to learn Arch should not be used as a drop-in replacement for Gentoo the tough way: with breakage. However, pacman still rocks at what it does. Those damn ~1000 machine-ready packages reinstalled like nothing in a matter of minutes.

#54 2013-10-23 01:22:58

cfr

Did I miss the post where you mentioned you compiled from source?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer