You are not logged in.

#151 2014-03-07 11:04:14

regulament

Re: Macbook Pro Late 2013 Retina

hrod wrote:

i don't see a noticeable difference between wattage or wakeups/second for good and bad

(i keept the brightness constant, while playing back 1080p and scrolling up&down in chromium)

Could you also try without a video playing?

#152 2014-03-07 19:19:04

gofvonx

On my macbook 11,1 the headphone-jack led does not turn off using

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC1D0 0x21 SET_PIN_WID 0x00. 

It returns

nid = 0x21, verb = 0x707, param = 0x0
value = 0xffffffff

Any suggestions on what is going wrong? Thanks.

EDIT: Somehow, the headphone LED is controlled by /dev/snd/hwc2D0 on my device. So everything works expected with it.

Last edited by gofvonx (2014-03-16 17:56:46)

#153 2014-03-07 19:24:32

Sc0rian

I still get massive IO waits due to libata.force=noncq being black listed.

I think this is the worse bug, since it causes serious performance issues

#154 2014-03-11 22:28:36

sasoiliev

regulament wrote:

I properly set-up alsa and now the volume keys work by default.

LE: and it was nothing related to unknown keys empty.

Can you share what do you mean by "properly set-up alsa"?

I've installed Arch on my MacBook Pro. I'm not sure which version is it though, probably 11,3 - the one with the iris and nvidia GPU, i7 CPU.

I'm trying to figure out a weird behavior of the volume keys - when volume up or volume down is pressed in xev no key gets logged, instead I get this:

FocusOut event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusOut event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyPointer

FocusIn event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   

Here comes the weird part - if I press and release the volume up key and then really quickly press and release the volume down key then XF86AudioRaiseVolume is logged in xev (and vice versa - pressing vol down, then vol up logs XF86AudioLowerVolume).

The rest of the media keys (screen brightness, keyboard backlight brightness, the two launch keys, media prev/pause/next and the audio mute keys) are all recognized properly in xev and I can map them in, say, xbindkeys or whatever.

The only audio-related setting I did was setting the model=intel-mac-auto parameter to the snd_hda_intel module. The headphone jack works and the speakers work as well (and they are muted if headphones are plugged in).

#155 2014-03-11 23:19:07

regulament

Confirmed, I get the same weird output thing in xev.

By properly setting up alsa I mean installing pulseaudio. I had alsa installed, but I couldn't play 2 sounds at the same time(as far as I remember that was the only problem at the time). The setup to make alsa do that seemed rather complicated so I chose to install pulseaudio along alsa. And Bam, volume keys work. Just like that. I did not do anymore research on the subject.

I do have XF86AudioRaiseVolume binded  to "amixer set Master 5%+ unmute" in my sxhkd config( was a binding that was already there from my old notebook). Headphones work, no red light in the jack, speakers work and mute themselves when headphones are plugged in and all the jazz. Audio seems to work great and sounds good.

Oh, because of the whole 2 audio cards from Intel thing( or whatever that is), sometimes instead of +/- 5% i get +/-6% or +/-3 on the master volume on the "HDA Intel PCH". On "-(default)" i do get +/- 5%. I did not research what happens in "HDA Intel HDMI" as I don't use that port.

If you'd like me to do more debugging to help you, just tell me what you'd like me to do.

The NCQ thing in indeed annoying. I kinda got rid of it by using large cache for everything. For example, I have a 1 Gbps Internet connection( yet have to receive the AC router, grrr) and downloading properly seeded torrents I can't seem to go above 45-50 MB/s although I have a huge cache set-up in Deluge( it *might* be a config issue, IDK). With dd commands I do get 1.1 GB/s for the first 4GB file and then it goes down to 800 MB/s and then to 600 MB/s.
It's quite a bit annoying but I don't feel that is *seriously* putting a stain my work. Setting up a 25 GB static virtual hard-disk in VirtualBox took a really short time for example. (I had a rather big dilemma if I should get this notebook or not. I feared that the I/O waits would be killing me)

LE: Forgot to say: I'm on 11,2: Intel-only 15 inch rMBP.

Last edited by regulament (2014-03-11 23:52:14)

#156 2014-03-12 00:56:34

sasoiliev

regulament wrote:

By properly setting up alsa I mean installing pulseaudio.

Installing pulseaudio enables the volume keys! Thanks a bunch, I'd never figure it out...

regulament wrote:

Oh, because of the whole 2 audio cards from Intel thing( or whatever that is), sometimes instead of +/- 5% i get +/-6% or +/-3 on the master volume on the "HDA Intel PCH".

Yes, I get the same +/-3% difference, doesn't bother me much though.

regulament wrote:

If you'd like me to do more debugging to help you, just tell me what you'd like me to do.

No, that info was more than enough! Thank you, sir!

#157 2014-03-12 01:02:19

baronmog

sasoiliev wrote:
regulament wrote:

Installing pulseaudio enables the volume keys! Thanks a bunch, I'd never figure it out...

It's not the only way. I use E17/E18 as my window manager, and it initially had the volume keys improperly mapped. After I went into its key bindings config, and corrected that, the volume keys worked just fine.

#158 2014-03-14 00:07:49

Meizirkki

baronmog wrote:
sasoiliev wrote:
regulament wrote:

It's not the only way. I use E17/E18 as my window manager, and it initially had the volume keys improperly mapped. After I went into its key bindings config, and corrected that, the volume keys worked just fine.

Have you considered testing E19 and wayland? smile I haven't got wayland to work just yet. hmm

#159 2014-03-14 01:17:31

baronmog

Meizirkki wrote:
baronmog wrote:

Have you considered testing E19 and wayland? smile I haven't got wayland to work just yet. hmm

Haven't tried wayland, yet.

#160 2014-03-16 04:42:07

hrod

Meizirkki wrote:
baronmog wrote:
sasoiliev wrote:

i have tried out wayland, just used weston on my mbp 11,2

it seems to be really promising, the performance with transparency / window rotation and stuff is great

and there is a version of chromium being worked on for wayland that works called ozone-wayland.

there is just no tiling window manager yet which i prefer so i've stuck with x

#161 2014-03-16 12:44:03

Meizirkki

hrod wrote:

i have tried out wayland, just used weston on my mbp 11,2

it seems to be really promising, the performance with transparency / window rotation and stuff is great

and there is a version of chromium being worked on for wayland that works called ozone-wayland.

there is just no tiling window manager yet which i prefer so i've stuck with x

Maybe you could build and test the Enlightenment 1.9, it has tiling too smile

I haven't gotten the E desktop shell to run on wayland myself hmm But wayland apps still work inside E.

I'm going to check out the ozone-wayland, thanks !

EDIT: module wl-desktop-shell gets loaded on startup so I've probably misunderstood what it means. I still can't get E to run without X.

Last edited by Meizirkki (2014-03-17 04:42:35)

#162 2014-03-22 19:26:53

regulament

Guys, what are you using for your touchpad? Synaptics or xf86-input-mtrack?

I am using Synaptics with the config file from the wiki and it has some problems. Palm detection absolutely sucks, I find myself quite a lot of times selecting text when I'm moving the mouse and it starts scrolling by itself. Also, I'd like only to click if I actually press the touchpad button, not only if i tap it without pressing.

Any idea how to fix this? I searched for config files and bet ways to configure the touchpad, but there are a lot of conflicting informations so I thought I'd better ask the experts.

#163 2014-03-22 20:32:18

frank604

regulament wrote:

I am using Synaptics with the config file from the wiki and it has some problems. Palm detection absolutely sucks, I find myself quite a lot of times selecting text when I'm moving the mouse

The config on the archwiki is what it is: an 'example' of frequently used options.  Instead of searching for config files, you are expected to create your own customized one as everyone has their own preference. I would look into what each of those syntax's do.  Sounds like you haven't used 'PalmDetect' and 'PalmMinWidth' and 'PalmMinZ' if you are only using the example on the wiki. 

regulament wrote:

Palm detection absolutely sucks

It doesn't suck.  Mine works perfectly.

regulament wrote:

and it starts scrolling by itself.

Disable the other scrolling features for now that are in the archwiki example.  My advice is to delete

Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
        Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on"
        Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "on"
        Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "on"
        Option "CircularScrolling" "on"
        Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
        Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" "40"
        Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinW" "8"
        Option "CoastingSpeed" "0"

Unless you figure out what it does and if you need it.

regulament wrote:

Also, I'd like only to click if I actually press the touchpad button, not only if i tap it without pressing.

If I understand your question right, you want to click on button press only and disable click on tap? If yes, take out the ones you want to disable

Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "TapButton2" "2"
        Option "TapButton3" "3"

Obviously tapbutton1 is 1 finger tap, tapbutton2 is 2 finger tap, etc.

Last edited by frank604 (2014-03-22 20:34:40)

#164 2014-03-22 21:36:46

regulament

I'll get on to research than. One question tough: from your experience, what are the advantages and disadvantages of synaptics vs mtrack?

#165 2014-03-22 22:38:24

frank604

regulament wrote:

I'll get on to research than. One question tough: from your experience, what are the advantages and disadvantages of synaptics vs mtrack?

I just gave you the solution to perfect your config.  Please test it and post results.  Also, this is not a macbook question but more of a synaptics config question.  Would be better to post in Newbie Corner for maximum exposure and less clutter for this thread.  Google is your friend in answering synaptics vs mtrack. 

https://github.com/BlueDragonX/xf86-input-mtrack
Last updated 2 years ago

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr … synaptics/
Last updated last week.

If I use an older macbook, I may try mtrack but on the newer macbook I don't feel the need to even try mtrack, so I haven't.  Synaptics does everything I need it to do.  If you are still unsure, then try it and see if mtrack works for your model and if it does what you need.   Others may have more opinions on this as I've never used mtrack.

#166 2014-03-23 10:50:33

regulament

I properly set up synaptics and now it works great. Thanks and I apologize for asking something rather obvious.

#167 2014-03-23 22:58:11

razorg

Has anyone managed to get it to work with the native resolution and the correct DPI under a non-gnome/kde environment?
For example, under gnome, almost everything appears correctly, but under awesome its all tiny.

The "Xft.dpi" fix is partial since its only for fonts AFAIK. (for example even with that, the awesome status bar is tiny (needs extra lua code to fix that) and everything in firefox is still tiny (needs css.devPixelsPerPx). On the other hand, under gnome firefox appears correctly without touching that option.

I tried running awesome from gdm but still no luck. (generally using slim).

For now I used a lower resultion but you can tell its not the native. (eg fonts are not sharp), some minor defects, etc.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

#168 2014-03-24 00:19:47

baronmog

razorg wrote:

Has anyone managed to get it to work with the native resolution and the correct DPI under a non-gnome/kde environment?
For example, under gnome, almost everything appears correctly, but under awesome its all tiny.

The "Xft.dpi" fix is partial since its only for fonts AFAIK. (for example even with that, the awesome status bar is tiny (needs extra lua code to fix that) and everything in firefox is still tiny (needs css.devPixelsPerPx). On the other hand, under gnome firefox appears correctly without touching that option.

I tried running awesome from gdm but still no luck. (generally using slim).

For now I used a lower resultion but you can tell its not the native. (eg fonts are not sharp), some minor defects, etc.

I run the screen at native resolution with Enlightenment18. I just have to turn up the font sizes a bit and enable E's UI element scaling (I set it at 1.2).

#169 2014-03-25 11:00:01

Sc0rian

anyone else have this bug?

FN screen brightness works fine. Plug in external monitor to thunderbolt, brightness fn keys still work. Unplug the external monitor, FN brightness keys just stop working. I can unplug it and plug it back in, only works when external monitor is plugged in.

Only fix is a reboot. Obviously I can echo the brightness into /sys/class.....

Also.. How come there is no other 16:10 options on the resolution.. e.g. 1920x1200?

The only way I've been able to add the res is via a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf.

Obviously the lower res causes fuzzes screen. But only want to use it when on the desk.

It is annoying having to change scaling on programs between external monitor/standalone usage.

Last edited by Sc0rian (2014-03-25 11:19:14)

#170 2014-03-25 21:14:51

razorg

If you're using "Xft.dpi" and have a dual-head setup, I found out that X supports per-screen X resources.
See here http://www.rru.com/~meo/pubsntalks/xrj/xrdb.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

#171 2014-04-04 21:57:56

ende42

I read in the wiki about getting the integrated graphics working with grub… is that possible with reefind?

Niko.

#172 2014-04-06 09:37:22

mathew

I'm running openbox, and have set larger fonts. The only outstanding problems are figuring the best way to handle connecting lower rez external monitors, (i'm currently using zaphod heads to run two different x sessions, one on each screen) and qt applications, which don't seem to be scaling.

I've been etting the dpi in xinitrc like this

exec xrandr --output eDP1 --dpi 192 &
exec openbox-session

Last edited by mathew (2014-04-06 09:39:31)

#173 2014-04-08 09:10:59

sh4nks
Website

Hey everyone!

How can I speed up the touchpad? Also, is there a way to use 3 and 4 finger gestures? Like moving/resizing windows with 3 fingers.
I'm using GNOME and have set the touchpad/mouse speed to maximum, but it is still a bit too slow for me.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sh4nks (2014-04-08 09:47:59)

#174 2014-04-10 13:48:27

regulament

Just updated to 3.14 and removed the "libata.force=noncq" parameter. Everything seems to be ok( rMBP 11,2 with 512GB SSD).

I'll update this post if I notice anything different.

Last edited by regulament (2014-04-10 14:20:15)

#175 2014-04-11 15:08:56

lutzee

regulament wrote:

Just updated to 3.14 and removed the "libata.force=noncq" parameter. Everything seems to be ok( rMBP 11,2 with 512GB SSD).

I'll update this post if I notice anything different.

Nice to see, I just recieved my new MBPr, 11,1 but I can't seem to get the wireless drivers running under 3.14. When I tell them to connect to a network, they will connect then immediately go back to a dormant state.
I have broadcom-wl installed from the AUR, and using NetworkManager to connect.

I'm really not sure what is going on, there is no output on dmesg either.
Any help would be apprietiated

Board footer