You are not logged in.

#601 2014-09-17 20:22:18

nariox

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

dyladan wrote:

I'm currently running 3.17-rc4 and i've been running since rc1. Can confirm touchpad, screen backlight, and touchscreen all working.

I'm having issues with my sound. It seems like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the audio will work then will stop working. I'm having a really tough time tracking this one down. Anybody have similar issues?

I don't use sound very often because I use the C720 mostly when I'm class, but I haven't experienced any problems when I wanted to use sound. (I'm also using rc4). Are you using pulse? Sometimes it might switch to HDMI audio, make sure you have the right interface "on".

#602 2014-09-17 20:48:03

dhead

@dyladan

Sounds works perfect for me though I usually use headphones.

#603 2014-09-18 01:48:17

dyladan

nariox wrote:
dyladan wrote:

I'm currently running 3.17-rc4 and i've been running since rc1. Can confirm touchpad, screen backlight, and touchscreen all working.

I'm having issues with my sound. It seems like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the audio will work then will stop working. I'm having a really tough time tracking this one down. Anybody have similar issues?

I don't use sound very often because I use the C720 mostly when I'm class, but I haven't experienced any problems when I wanted to use sound. (I'm also using rc4). Are you using pulse? Sometimes it might switch to HDMI audio, make sure you have the right interface "on".

I'm using pulse although I'm not very well versed in pulse setup/configuration/use. I'm a long-time Ubuntu user new to Arch so lower level things still sometimes throw wrenches in my otherwise working gears. As I understand it, Alsa is the kernel sound support and pulse is the audio server that actually interfaces with userspace?

#604 2014-09-18 03:08:08

nariox

dyladan wrote:
nariox wrote:
dyladan wrote:

I'm using pulse although I'm not very well versed in pulse setup/configuration/use. I'm a long-time Ubuntu user new to Arch so lower level things still sometimes throw wrenches in my otherwise working gears. As I understand it, Alsa is the kernel sound support and pulse is the audio server that actually interfaces with userspace?

Yes (or at least that's how I understand it to be), I'm also coming from Ubuntu. ALSA goes directly on top of the kernel drivers offering an API for sound. On top of that we (can) have pulse, which manages/mixes the sounds from different programs.

I'm using Gnome, so in the Sound panel I can choose between "Speakers - Built-In Audio", "Analog Output - Built-In Audio" and "HDMI/SPDIF Audio" (I'm not entirely sure what words exactly, this only shows up if I'm connected using HDMI). The "Speakers" one uses the built-in loudspeakers, the "Analog Output" gives my the headphone jack. It should switch between the two automagically, but you can force one of the other if you want. Maybe your computer is not switching between them correctly? It's been a while since I've last used it, but if you are not using Gnome, I think the utility to manage pulse was "pavucontrol" or something similar. When your sound fails, use it to check if the profile is correct.

#605 2014-09-18 14:13:48

dhead

Here're two hotkey recommendation.

Chromium: install the Hotkeys extension and map Ctrl+Arrows to the same actions as in ChromeOS.

Firefox:
* Install Key Config extension.
* Extract the file keyconfig.js from the xpi package (it's just a zip) and open it, replace the two occurence of the function of scrollByLine to scrollByPages and limit the argument to 1.
* Update the xpi with our keyconfig.js.
* Start Firefox and map Ctrl+Arrows to the same actions as in ChromeOS.

I asked the developer of Key Config to update the extension with these changes or to add them as Page Up/Down actions but this kind of extension usually doesn't updated often.

p.s.
I uploaded xkeyboard-config-chromebook to AUR, details on Github.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-18 14:15:33)

#606 2014-09-18 16:23:25

dhead

I edited the wiki page.

* Removed information about building touchpad, touchscreen modules with old kernels and added details about linux-chromebook.
* Moved hotkeys and power switch handling info to the Chromebook page and linked to it under Post Installation Configuration, it's seems like one of the moderator didn't like it at first as he though it's duplication but I reverted his edit.

The C720 still need more work, it worth waiting to 3.17 and then just delete what that not required.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-18 16:23:44)

#607 2014-09-18 16:41:47

SolarBoyMatt

Thanks dhead. I think it might be worth noting somewhere that linux-chromebook includes fixes/workarounds (tpm patch and disabling EHCI in kernel config) for getting suspend/resume functioning properly, which is generally a cleaner solution than the ones currently in the wiki. As of 3.17rc4, using the preinstalled coreboot ROM, I still need to use linux-chromebook's suspend/resume fixes/workarounds for it to work correctly.

Edit:
And now that I think about it, would the entire "Enabling Developer Mode" section make more sense being in the general Chromebook wiki page, instead of this one? Unless other Chromebooks have very different ways of enabling Developer Mode, wouldn't this information be much better off there, with just a link to it in the C720 page?

Last edited by SolarBoyMatt (2014-09-18 16:51:43)

#608 2014-09-18 16:59:42

scot14

SolarBoyMatt wrote:

And now that I think about it, would the entire "Enabling Developer Mode" section make more sense being in the general Chromebook wiki page, instead of this one? Unless other Chromebooks have very different ways of enabling Developer Mode, wouldn't this information be much better off there, with just a link to it in the C720 page?

Didn't developer mode that included SeaBIOS start with the Haswell-generation Chromebooks (they have the 2955U Celeron cpu)? Maybe this would be a good cut-off point for such a wiki page, and the previous chromebooks could be left out since they would need the custom firmware to work?

Last edited by scot14 (2014-09-18 17:00:15)

#609 2014-09-18 17:02:37

nariox

scot14 wrote:
SolarBoyMatt wrote:

Didn't developer mode that included SeaBIOS start with the Haswell-generation Chromebooks (they have the 2955U Celeron cpu)? Maybe this would be a good cut-off point for such a wiki page, and the previous chromebooks could be left out since they would need the custom firmware to work?

Yes, from what I remember, pre-Haswell Chromebooks required custom Coreboot images to implement SEABIOS.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried using EFI with the C720?

#610 2014-09-18 17:15:37

dhead

@SolarBoyMatt

It was also my thought to move the entire pre-installation steps (enabling developer mode, seabios) to the Chromebook page but I wasn't sure about other Chromebooks so this is why I asked before if anyone that got other Chromebook can confirm what steps are also generic Chromebook .

@scot14

Sounds good, it surely would be nice to have a Haswell specific installation guide on the Chromebook page instead of the C720.
Are the coreboot related steps (enabling seabios, running set_gbb_flags.sh script) the same for the Haswell Chromebooks ?

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-18 17:17:10)

#611 2014-09-18 17:18:35

dhead

p.s.

Is the tpm patch "[PATCH] tpm_tis: Verify ACPI-specified interrupt" is scheduled for 3.17 ? it's not in rc5.

#612 2014-09-18 17:28:39

dhead

SolarBoyMatt wrote:

I think it might be worth noting somewhere that linux-chromebook includes fixes/workarounds (tpm patch and disabling EHCI in kernel config) for getting suspend/resume functioning properly, which is generally a cleaner solution than the ones currently in the wiki. As of 3.17rc4, using the preinstalled coreboot ROM, I still need to use linux-chromebook's suspend/resume fixes/workarounds for it to work correctly.

I added a vague remark to the "Fixing_suspend" as I wasn't sure with which ROM the fix isn't needed, feel free to add elaborate more.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ac … ng_suspend

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-18 17:29:02)

#613 2014-09-18 18:36:11

scot14

dhead wrote:

Sounds good, it surely would be nice to have a Haswell specific installation guide on the Chromebook page instead of the C720.
Are the coreboot related steps (enabling seabios, running set_gbb_flags.sh script) the same for the Haswell Chromebooks ?

p.s. Is the tpm patch ... scheduled for 3.17 ? it's not in rc5.

Yes, the coreboot steps should be the same for all Haswell and later (at least up until now) Chromebooks, starting with the Acer C720, HP 14 (2955U cpu), Dell 11, Toshiba CB30/CB35.

I don't know that the TPM patch will be accepted, because it needs to be tested on a specific kind of non-Chromebook. For now, I think the wiki should say to use kernel parameter "tpm_tis.interrupts=0". The other parameter, "tpm_tis.force=1" is not needed and is slightly less efficient.

#614 2014-09-18 18:45:44

scot14

dhead wrote:

I added a vague remark to the "Fixing_suspend" as I wasn't sure with which ROM the fix isn't needed, feel free to add elaborate more.

When using the stock firmware, the only changes needed to fix suspend should be:
1. use kernel parameter "tpm_tis.interrupts=0"
2. use kernel parameter "modprobe.blacklist=ehci_pci" OR use a kernel that doesn't include the ehci_pci module

When using the John Lewis' firmware released after 2014-09-04, I think the only change needed to fix suspend should be:
1. use kernel parameter "modprobe.blacklist=ehci_pci" OR use a kernel that doesn't include the ehci_pci module

#615 2014-09-18 21:02:06

dhead

@scot14
Thanks for the clarifications.

Suspend does works for me without "tpm_tis.force=1" with stock firmware.

Why is "modprobe.blacklist=ehci_pci" needed ?, I'm on 3.17rc5 without this parameter and doesn't noticing issues.

I've got cros-sound-suspend.sh script which does seems to prevent errors appears in the log on suspnd/wakeup.
I also have /etc/tmpfiles.d/cros-acpi-wakeup.conf which I'm not sure if needed (and does it tries to enable the same blacklisted PCI EHCI ?)
Both scripts are from "Fixing Suspend".

p.s.
Do you know why when closing the lid just after boot the system doesn't enter suspend but when manually initiating suspend ("systemctl suspend) it does.
It also seems like one need to wait a minimal amount of time after wakeup from suspend, else the system won't enter suspend after closing the lid (again manually initiating suspend works).

#616 2014-09-19 00:30:09

scot14

dhead wrote:

Why is "modprobe.blacklist=ehci_pci" needed ?, I'm on 3.17rc5 without this parameter and doesn't noticing issues.

One possibility is that you are building the kernel without the ehci_pci module, so there is no need to blacklist it. What is the output from "grep EHCI XYZ/.config" (where XYZ is the path to the .config file)? When not building the EHCI modules, the output should be:

# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD is not set
dhead wrote:

I've got cros-sound-suspend.sh script which does seems to prevent errors appears in the log on suspnd/wakeup. I also have /etc/tmpfiles.d/cros-acpi-wakeup.conf which I'm not sure if needed (and does it tries to enable the same blacklisted PCI EHCI ?) Both scripts are from "Fixing Suspend".

I think part of the problem is that the Haswell Chromebooks have a chipset bug.
- http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Haswel … 21896.html and
- http://www.techspot.com/news/51895-new- … n-bug.html

If I'm right, this bug may be demonstratable. Power off and back on, then run "lspci -vvn". There's a whole section for the EHCI PCI device at address 00:1d.0. Then suspend, resume, and run the same command again. The EHCI device shows error message "!!! Unknown header type 7f" and the other information for it is no longer available.

Maybe those scripts hide it to some extent by unloading some hardware drivers before suspending, and then reloading the same drivers after resuming. So when we blacklist (or don't compile) the EHCI modules, then these scripts are not as necessary. I don't use the scripts and suspend/resume work well except for the dmesg errors.

dhead wrote:

Do you know why when closing the lid just after boot the system doesn't enter suspend but when manually initiating suspend ("systemctl suspend) it does.
It also seems like one need to wait a minimal amount of time after wakeup from suspend, else the system won't enter suspend after closing the lid (again manually initiating suspend works).

I don't know. If you haven't already, you might run this script while trying different experiments.

#!/bin/bash
while true
do
	date
	sleep 1
done

#617 2014-09-19 13:09:42

dhead

@scot14

Thanks, that was very informative post.
The ehci_pci module is enabled in my kernel config (as external module, not builtin).

I'll make some test and hopefully will get to a few conclusions.

@all

I move out the generic Chromebook Haswell installation process from the C720 page to the Chromebook page.
I also added few remarks, hopefully that will help users with other models to install Arch safely.

What I think still need to be done ?
* Chromebook page: Further explaining on fixing suspend, I'll probably won't have time to do some tests and adding the details until next week.
* Chromebook page: add information about John's custom ROMs.
* Chromebook page: moving out and re-organize the old info.

Edit:
* Chromebook page: maybe also move out installation steps from the Haswell installation to the general Chromebook installation.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-19 13:47:18)

#618 2014-09-19 14:22:56

SolarBoyMatt

Looks good! I still think that the "Unbricking with Raspberry Pi" section should be moved elsewhere. While it's very helpful information, none of it is specific to Arch, so it doesn't really belong anywhere in the wiki.

When I get the chance later, I do my own tests to see if the ALSA Audio Fixes are still needed on 3.17. And since I don't use Flash or PulseAudio, would anyone who does let me know if the fix in the wiki is still needed?

Last edited by SolarBoyMatt (2014-09-19 14:24:18)

#619 2014-09-19 14:48:12

dhead

@SolarBoyMatt

Yep, you're right.

I though I would touch this subject after adding some details and links about John's ROMs, but I moved the unbricking process to "See also" as the process explained in the linked flashrom wiki.

#620 2014-09-19 15:36:30

SolarBoyMatt

Looks good to me. I also edited the Suspend fixing section with the 3 currently confirmed methods of fixing suspend (linux-chromebook, kernel parameters, systemd files). Feel free to make any changes if necessary.

#621 2014-09-19 15:42:58

scot14

SolarBoyMatt wrote:

When I get the chance later, I do my own tests to see if the ALSA Audio Fixes are still needed on 3.17.

On the toshiba, all that is needed to fix alsa is to set kernel boot parameter "snd_hda_intel.index=1", so maybe the fixing sound section belongs on the Haswell Chromebook section on the other page?

#622 2014-09-19 18:42:38

dhead

@SolarBoyMatt

Great, don't forget to add edit summery.

@scot14

Oh nice, I added the Toshiba Chromebook to the Chrombooks table.
I'm not sure if on the Chromebook page we should just add a remark about setting "snd_hda_intel.index=1", or move the whole "Fixing Audio" from the C720 page which might not required and just clutter the page. Edit: I moved the whole topic to the chromebook page.
With the C720 on kernel 3.17rc5 I don't need "snd_hda_intel.index=1", not the "FlashPlugin fix" but I'm not sure about adding the .asoundrc file as I didn't tried hdmi audio.

I'm looking also in the other Haswell Chromebook wiki pages (see the Chromebooks table) and removing duplicates.
* If I understand this right then I can also move the "Touchpad and Touchscreen kernel modules" from the C720 page to the Chromebook page as the DMI_BIOS_VENDOR and DMI_PRODUCT_NAME values in the patches are the same and include all the changes needed for the touchpads of C720, Toshiba CB35, Dell 11 and HP 11.
* In the Dell Chromebook 11 page is says that the pre-installed SeaBIOS version is problematic and needed be manually updated, if anyone can shed some light on this please do.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-19 23:01:21)

#623 2014-09-19 22:07:32

dhead

p.s.

I added flashing a custom rom topic.
Nothing really there and as I believe we probably just need to give general info, advantages/disadvantages list, links to the proper wiki pages (flashrom, john's) and maybe two lines showing how to backup and flash a rom.

#624 2014-09-20 15:14:16

SolarBoyMatt

I did some tests with sound options, and for me it seems that the "snd_hda_intel.index=1" parameter is still needed to get sound to work. I tried with just the ~/.asoundrc file in the wiki, and it was inconsistent. With it, sound worked in Chromium and mpv, but not Firefox for some reason. Would somebody else be able to try this out and see if they get similar results?

#625 2014-09-20 19:40:18

scot14

SolarBoyMatt wrote:

sound worked in Chromium and mpv, but not Firefox for some reason

Adding my username to the audio group (in /etc/group) and rebooting solved a similar problem.

Board footer