You are not logged in.

#851 2015-02-23 11:52:50

joebonrichie

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

dhead wrote:

Anyone else had the screen go off on with the following accompanying message in the log?

[drm:hsw_unclaimed_reg_detect.isra.11 [i915]] *ERROR* Unclaimed register detected. Please use the i915.mmio_debug=1 to debug this problem.

I do not have this problem though sometimes my screen flashes on and off when waking up from suspend but nothing in logs so I don't think its related, I am also unable to replicate your issue when switching to tty2 and back on gnome unfortunately.
Running 3.19 from testing, JohnLewis August 14 fw and only have the needed tpm kernel parameters. 
edit: also have updated microcode

melkir wrote:

Hey,
I have some freeze bug with the linux 3.18.6-1, is there a linux mainline precompiled somewhere ?

If you enable pacman testing repositories you will be able to install linux 3.19 which will fix gpu freezes

Last edited by joebonrichie (2015-02-23 11:53:45)

#852 2015-02-23 18:49:36

melkir

Thx joebonrichie smile

Asus K73SD : ArchLinux | W8 ~ Acer  C720P : ArchLinux | ChromeOS

#853 2015-02-24 01:17:45

nariox

dhead wrote:

@nariox

I'm on stock fw/coreboot with linux 3.19-1 from testing with kernel parameters: "quiet add_efi_memmap boot=local noresume noswap i915.modeset=1 tpm_tis.interrupts=0 modprobe.blacklist=ehci_pci nmi_watchdog=panic,lapic".
One thing that's common is that we both didn't update the microcode, which doesn't done automatically anymore by the kernel since 3.18 (I forgot about it when I rebuilt my grub.cfg), I've got no idea if it's related.

Oh, I am updating the ucode, check the first line of my dmesg. Earlier kernels had something similar as well, don't remember exactly the message, but I remember it did not have the "Please use the i915.mmio_debug=1 to debug this problem." It did complain about an "unclaimed register". But it started a while ago, probably around the time I got it (Feb 2014).

P.S.: I was wondering about the add_efi_memmap, is it necessary? What does it do exactly? Does it make some extra memory available?

#854 2015-02-24 23:00:59

bloup

Does anyone else have issues with audio on these things? I can get it mostly working (took a bit of finagling, though...) but the audio is so irritatingly choppy. And the weird part is if I make ALSA use my soundcard directly it seems to playback perfectly. However, if I do that I lose mixing, so that's not a very feasible option... I refuse to believe I am the only one.

Edit: I'm actually pretty sure there was someone else, in this very thread, in fact. But it doesn't seem like anyone responded to them

Xenphor wrote:

I think the sound card and alsa/pulse have some issues because with either one I seem to have problems. I've tried just using alsa with no configuration other than what is in the wiki:

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
options snd_hda_intel index=1

I get sound and everything but I can't help but notice an occasional pop or skip in the audio. It's hard to know for sure because of the bad speakers but I don't notice it that often.

I tried installing pulseaudio but again, I couldn't help but notice the occasional hiccup in audio so I'm not sure if it's actually helping anything.

I also tried installing oss but the osstest command couldn't detect my sound card.

Last edited by bloup (2015-02-24 23:05:56)

#855 2015-02-25 17:25:49

nariox

bloup wrote:

Does anyone else have issues with audio on these things? I can get it mostly working (took a bit of finagling, though...) but the audio is so irritatingly choppy. And the weird part is if I make ALSA use my soundcard directly it seems to playback perfectly. However, if I do that I lose mixing, so that's not a very feasible option... I refuse to believe I am the only one.

I don't have any major issues with sound. I use pulse and it works just fine for me (even bluetooth audio works well for me). The only thing is that the microphone needs to be tuned (because of a terrible DC bias) and when the card goes in and out of power save mode it'll "pop".

#856 2015-02-26 22:01:25

mum1989

Hi, someone tested this driver ? (X11 ChromiumOS touchpad driver )
xf86-input-cmt
https://github.com/hugegreenbug/xf86-input-cmt
https://blogs.fsfe.org/the_unconvention … n-my-c720/

My touchpad don't work well "on stock."

#857 2015-02-27 01:07:05

joebonrichie

There are a bunch of issues with the dependencies for xf86-input-cmt and compiling the dependencies from the AUR at the moment certain packages we need aren't being maintained.
I think someone mentioned they did compile it but couldn't get it working, the scripts in the link you provided may help them get it working.

edit: I can compile all the dependencies from hugegreenbug's github successfully

edit2: Installed all packages and set up .conf files. The left and right buttons are working with the cmt driver but I can't get the cursor to move when using the touchpad.

edit3: SUCCESS: xf86-input-cmt working in Arch!

imgur.com/4XkSJjr.png

last edit: I've set up a very quick github repo with a README and the PKBUILDs from mathijs with basic (admittedly vague right now) instructions to get xf86-input-cmt working that most users should be able to follow.
https://github.com/joebonrichie/xf86-input-cmt

If I've missed anything or it doesn't work let me know.
Palm rejection works and the driver also works under gnome wayland session, input latency and responsiveness seem a lot better using this.

If a few people confirm this is working maybe we could them update the PKGBUILDs in the AUR
and add the choice between xf86-input-synaptics and xf86-input-cmt in the Arch chromebook documentation.
The only problem being the conf files don't get automatically copied, but this could be documented on the chromebook page.

mum1989 wrote:

Hi, someone tested this driver ? (X11 ChromiumOS touchpad driver )
xf86-input-cmt
https://github.com/hugegreenbug/xf86-input-cmt
https://blogs.fsfe.org/the_unconvention … n-my-c720/

My touchpad don't work well "on stock."

Last edited by joebonrichie (2015-03-02 17:45:38)

#858 2015-03-02 19:55:37

lorineth

joebonrichie wrote:

If a few people confirm this is working maybe we could them update the PKGBUILDs in the AUR and add the choice between xf86-input-synaptics and xf86-input-cmt in the Arch chromebook documentation.

I just installed your packages and they work perfectly!  The touchpad really feels so much better now.  Thank you so much.  I hope that they can be uploaded to the AUR.

#859 2015-03-03 14:13:01

mum1989

Great ! Thank you,  it work now better than ever !

(to install this driver on my system, i need some package like dmidecode, xorg-util-macros and xorg-server-devel . )

Last edited by mum1989 (2015-03-03 14:13:31)

#860 2015-03-03 17:28:52

joebonrichie

The Chromium OS xf86-input-cmt driver can now be found in the AUR
You can use it by by installing:

xf86-input-cmt-xorg

Don't forget to download and run the script mentioned after installing!
(I can't do this in the PKGBUILD itself due to fakeroot limitations)

I recommend editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-touchpad-cmt-peppy.conf
and using the conf here
https://github.com/hugegreenbug/distro- … peppy.conf
I may using this conf by default in the future

Acer C720P (touchscreen) users
You may have to run

# ln -s /usr/share/xf86-input-cmt/20-touchscreen.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-touchscreen.conf

However, I'm unsure whether you need to do this or not

Let me know of any problems. Shortly I (or someone else) can update the chromebook documentation to reflect this option for using the touchpad.

To make sure you are using the right input driver after install and reboot run:

$ journalctl -b | grep cmt

Last edited by joebonrichie (2015-03-03 17:30:41)

#861 2015-03-04 02:28:14

Albert Camus

joebonrichie wrote:

The Chromium OS xf86-input-cmt driver can now be found in the AUR
You can use it by by installing:

xf86-input-cmt-xorg

Don't forget to download and run the script mentioned after installing!
(I can't do this in the PKGBUILD itself due to fakeroot limitations)

I recommend editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-touchpad-cmt-peppy.conf
and using the conf here
https://github.com/hugegreenbug/distro- … peppy.conf
I may using this conf by default in the future

Acer C720P (touchscreen) users
You may have to run

# ln -s /usr/share/xf86-input-cmt/20-touchscreen.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-touchscreen.conf

However, I'm unsure whether you need to do this or not

Let me know of any problems. Shortly I (or someone else) can update the chromebook documentation to reflect this option for using the touchpad.

To make sure you are using the right input driver after install and reboot run:

Just wanted to say this worked like a charm.  Absolutely perfect and much better than the synaptics driver.  The configuration file you recommended is great as well, as it brings back tap to drag and a few other tweaks, a feature that even ChromeOS was lacking.

Thank you!

#862 2015-03-05 15:48:12

LeoFa

Hi just wanted to chime in here because xf86-input-cmt-xorg did not work for me on the c720P (anybody got error on c720p?) and it seems to be working for everybody else..
,i forget the error message.. but it was something with 0x4 in there so it's probably the 40-...? config file conflicting i donno, after the reboot i couldn't boot at all!
Maybe I did some steps wrong.. but i'm usaully pretty good at following instrutions, maybe i'll try again later, but can someone confirm this also works on the touchscreen version?
I'm back on synaptics and use this; (wich works also.. good enough)

Section "InputClass" 
    Identifier      "touchpad peppy cyapa" 
    MatchIsTouchpad "on" 
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*" 
    MatchProduct    "cyapa" 
    Option          "FingerLow" "7" 
    Option          "FingerHigh" "8" 
    Option          "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on" 
    Option          "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "on" 
    Option          "ClickFinger1" "1" 
    Option          "ClickFinger2" "2" 
    Option          "ClickFinger3" "3" 
    Option          "TapButton1" "1" 
    Option          "TapButton2" "3" 
    Option          "TapButton3" "2" 
    Option          "MaxTapMove" "21"
    Option          "VertScrollDelta" "-15"
    Option          "HorizScrollDelta" "-15"
    Option          "SoftButtonAreas" "0% 0 0% 0 0 0 0 0"
    Option          "AreaBottomEdge" "0%"
EndSection

#863 2015-03-05 16:16:36

LeoFa

Just wanted to plug the Adata Premier Pro M.2 SSD's http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=p … 3&piid=291 as a good option for ssd upgrade. I've been running the 128gb version for a couple of days now and the speed is amazing, boot time is 2x faster now, also did some tests; here is a screenshot http://i.imgur.com/MbQjICN.png on the left side are the mydigitalssd tests, read speeds comparable but write speeds of the Adata are much higher. It does not come near the advertised read/write speeds up to 550/530 MB/s though. 
These drives also have a Device Sleep function but i donno if that is actually used by linux kernel, imo it does not impact battery life.. maybe it even is better now. The reason this one is intresting is because i read the mydigitalssd ssd's were failing some people.. the Adata is also newer, and the price was 74,- euro wich I was ok with.
I'am not asociated with Adata but just wanted to stear people to this ssd upgrade because i read about failures with the MyDigitalSSD one witch is advertised everywhere if you goole it.
Hope to give some back this way
Greetz

ps. there is also a 256gb version for the crazy ones among us tongue

#864 2015-03-05 19:29:59

nariox

@LeoFa

Hmm, nice. Good to see some other options. I've had a MyDigitalSSD failure before. Although it was quite frustrating, I must say that their technical support was amazing. They've sent me a replacement, no questions asked and were fast and polite. (Unlike so many other customer support services I've encountered). The MyDigitalSSD problem was on the firmware, once updated, it should work fine.

P.S.: I'm also not affiliated with MyDigitalSSD, just wanted to chime in because I'm one of the ones that reported that failure and haven't reported back.

#865 2015-03-05 20:27:13

bloup

nariox wrote:

I don't have any major issues with sound. I use pulse and it works just fine for me (even bluetooth audio works well for me). The only thing is that the microphone needs to be tuned (because of a terrible DC bias) and when the card goes in and out of power save mode it'll "pop".

Did you have to do anything involved to get Pulse working? Or did it just work?

#866 2015-03-05 21:18:41

nariox

@bloup: I believe it just worked. I remember experimenting with some module settings to get the microphone working, but the sound itself was working. It might be worth noting I'm using gnome.

#867 2015-03-06 15:04:40

mum1989

LeoFa wrote:

Just wanted to plug the Adata Premier Pro M.2 SSD's http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=p … 3&piid=291 as a good option for ssd upgrade. I've been running the 128gb version for a couple of days now and the speed is amazing, boot time is 2x faster now, also did some tests; here is a screenshot http://i.imgur.com/MbQjICN.png on the left side are the mydigitalssd tests, read speeds comparable but write speeds of the Adata are much higher. It does not come near the advertised read/write speeds up to 550/530 MB/s though. 
These drives also have a Device Sleep function but i donno if that is actually used by linux kernel, imo it does not impact battery life.. maybe it even is better now. The reason this one is intresting is because i read the mydigitalssd ssd's were failing some people.. the Adata is also newer, and the price was 74,- euro wich I was ok with.
I'am not asociated with Adata but just wanted to stear people to this ssd upgrade because i read about failures with the MyDigitalSSD one witch is advertised everywhere if you goole it.
Hope to give some back this way
Greetz

ps. there is also a 256gb version for the crazy ones among us tongue

Thanks you for you tips.

I found two other SSD :
SSD Transcend MTS400  2242 and SSD Plextor M6G 2242.

#868 2015-03-06 17:27:27

annandul

Newbie here, don't know where to post this (or if this is useful info for you guys), but I was able to boot and install x86_64 Arch from the 20150301-dual image. The instructions here (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chromebook) for making a 64bit usb did not work for me. I do not have the John Lewis ROM flashed to my C720.

Apologies in advance if this is superfluous.

#869 2015-03-06 19:01:24

joebonrichie

Could you help me debug the issue.
You should only have to install xf86-input-cmt-xorg from the AUR and it should uninstall xf86-input-synaptics for you.
In addition you download cmt-post-install.sh and execute it after installing as well as moving your previous xf86-input-synaptics .conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to your home directory.

In my testing it was only the case the touchpad didn't work if xf86-input-cmt-xorg didn't work for whatever reason.

If you've followed the steps correctly and experience the same problem could post the error message/log?

LeoFa wrote:

Hi just wanted to chime in here because xf86-input-cmt-xorg did not work for me on the c720P (anybody got error on c720p?) and it seems to be working for everybody else..
,i forget the error message.. but it was something with 0x4 in there so it's probably the 40-...? config file conflicting i donno, after the reboot i couldn't boot at all!
Maybe I did some steps wrong.. but i'm usaully pretty good at following instrutions, maybe i'll try again later, but can someone confirm this also works on the touchscreen version?
I'm back on synaptics and use this; (wich works also.. good enough)

#870 2015-03-07 00:04:09

LeoFa

@joebonrichie

yes i did do all that... but it was very late, so maybe my brain played tricks on me.
i also used the 50-touchpad-cmt-peppy.conf from hugegreenbug you linked and copied the touchscreen.conf.
i'll look at it again on monday and produce some logs or tell you arch bro's i was sleep deprived.

#871 2015-03-07 03:04:21

scot14

annandul wrote:

Newbie here, don't know where to post this (or if this is useful info for you guys), but I was able to boot and install x86_64 Arch from the 20150301-dual image.

Thanks for the report. Can anyone confirm this?

The bug report (#40637) has a syslinux patch listed. It could be that this dual iso is using a 32-bit kernel for the installer, thus bypassing the syslinux bug which should only affect 64-bit kernels.

#872 2015-03-07 12:02:58

mum1989

mum1989 wrote:

Great ! Thank you,  it work now better than ever !

(to install this driver on my system, i need some package like dmidecode, xorg-util-macros and xorg-server-devel . )

mmm i've got some problem

I see nothing

And an other "big" problem"

mice don't work now with input-cmt package sad only touchpad work
mice is not lock with XFCE.

I've an acer C720P (touchscreen work), (2955u, 2go Ram) and kernel 3.18.0-1-mainline-chromebook .

#873 2015-03-07 12:48:05

joebonrichie

If you've installed manually from the PKGBUILDs try doing a clean uninstall and install the from the AUR

The configuration files can now be found here and this is where cmt-post-install gets the tweaked conf files from:
https://github.com/joebonrichie/xf86-input-cmt-conf

cmt-post-install.sh has been modified a bit to be more clear.
In addition the mouse issue has been fixed and Acer C720 uses the tweaked .conf file by default.

Remember to reboot afterwards before running journalctl -b | grep cmt
Glad to know touchscreen seems to be working, did you have to symlink 20-touchpad.conf?

I see nothing

And an other "big" problem"

mice don't work now with input-cmt package sad only touchpad work
mice is not lock with XFCE.

I've an acer C720P (touchscreen work), (2955u, 2go Ram) and kernel 3.18.0-1-mainline-chromebook .

#874 2015-03-07 13:28:31

mum1989

ok thank you
I used xf86-cmt-xorg 0.5 on aur
now with update 0.6.1-1 my mice work.

Glad to know touchscreen seems to be working, did you have to symlink 20-touchpad.conf?

no, but touchescreen work

(I use XFCE)

#875 2015-03-09 11:26:54

mk2soldier

Hi guys, I've installed xf86-input-cmt-xorg from the AUR (with yaourt) but I can't get it to work (I've also downloaded and executed the script: cmt-post-install.sh) I am using xfce 4.12 and the cursor doesn't move when I use the touchpad, I'm also unable to single/double click any element in the UI. What I am missing?

Last edited by mk2soldier (2015-03-09 11:28:47)

Board footer