You are not logged in.

#876 2015-03-10 02:33:16

LeoFa

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

ok I had time to test cmt driver out again, and the second time i had no issues  installing the driver, touchscreen also no problem I did not have to copy anything over just installed the aur package and ran the script.

But I can't really say I like it. I mostly have issues with double tap registering and also can't enable anything in gnome3 settings witch i could with synaptics driver, so no natural scrolling there.. wich i like.

excuse me I need coffee

#877 2015-03-10 09:03:32

joebonrichie

mk2soldier wrote:

Hi guys, I've installed xf86-input-cmt-xorg from the AUR (with yaourt) but I can't get it to work (I've also downloaded and executed the script: cmt-post-install.sh) I am using xfce 4.12 and the cursor doesn't move when I use the touchpad, I'm also unable to single/double click any element in the UI. What I am missing?

Did you uninstall xf86-input-synaptics during installation? Additionally there should only be 20-mouse.conf 40-touchpad-cmt.conf and 50-touchpad-cmt-peppy.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

LeoFa wrote:

ok I had time to test cmt driver out again, and the second time i had no issues  installing the driver, touchscreen also no problem I did not have to copy anything over just installed the aur package and ran the script.

But I can't really say I like it. I mostly have issues with double tap registering and also can't enable anything in gnome3 settings witch i could with synaptics driver, so no natural scrolling there.. wich i like.

excuse me I need coffee

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-touchpad-cmt-peppy.conf

Add this to the bottom before endsection

Option          "Scroll Australian" "1"

to enable Austrialian (natural) scrolling.

Also try lowering this value

Option          "Tap Minimum Pressure" "0.5"

It even documents that "People complain that light tap clicks don't register" big_smile

---

I'm thinking of putting this option up on the chromebook documentation now that a few people confirm it's working, I'll be nice to get it confirmed working on other touchpads apart from peppy's.
I am also unsure about the cleanest way to document it as well as providing documentation on the configuration options. Maybe it needs it's own wikipage.

Last edited by joebonrichie (2015-03-10 13:04:28)

#878 2015-03-10 11:07:23

Mevlock

Working fine here on a c720. It's a relief not not have to use the synaptics driver. I don't have much experience with touchpads but I struggled to get on at all with the synaptics one.

#879 2015-03-10 17:23:14

mk2soldier

Thank you for the reply, actually I don't have xf86-input-synaptics installed, but I've noticed in pacman.log that xf-input-evdev was pulled as a dependency for xfce.
I also have those 3 files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (20-mouse.conf , 40-touchpad-cmt.conf , 50-touchpad-cmt-peppy.conf).

Thank you again!

Last edited by mk2soldier (2015-03-10 17:23:28)

#880 2015-03-12 19:09:52

scot14

scot14 wrote:
annandul wrote:

Newbie here, don't know where to post this (or if this is useful info for you guys), but I was able to boot and install x86_64 Arch from the 20150301-dual image.

Thanks for the report. Can anyone confirm this?

The bug report (#40637) has a syslinux patch listed. It could be that this dual iso is using a 32-bit kernel for the installer, thus bypassing the syslinux bug which should only affect 64-bit kernels.

I've confirmed that the dual.iso boots in 64-bit mode, and boots a 64-bit kernel. AFAICS, the syslinux version of the iso was not updated with the patch I linked to in the bug report, and so a future version of the installer may not work. The installer kernel overruns the 0x100000-0xefffff address range (uncompressed), but does not cross over the 0x1000000 boundary, which may be why it is able to boot.

#881 2015-03-12 21:22:24

mk2soldier

mk2soldier wrote:

Thank you for the reply, actually I don't have xf86-input-synaptics installed, but I've noticed in pacman.log that xf-input-evdev was pulled as a dependency for xfce.
I also have those 3 files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (20-mouse.conf , 40-touchpad-cmt.conf , 50-touchpad-cmt-peppy.conf).

Thank you again!

Could someone help me?

#882 2015-03-13 05:26:52

fish-hp14

joebonrichie wrote:

I'm thinking of putting this option up on the chromebook documentation now that a few people confirm it's working, I'll be nice to get it confirmed working on other touchpads apart from peppy's.

I think xf86-input-cmt-xorg needs a build depends on both autoconf and automake. It wouldn't build on my machine without it.

The git repository was also updated with new patches two days ago and I think it broke the builds for libevdevc, libgestures-xorg and xf86-input-cmt-xorg. I managed to get them to build by reverting the most recent patches.

I can confirm that the touchpad drivers works on falco (HP14 chromebook) after reverting the latest patches to get it to build.

Last edited by fish-hp14 (2015-03-13 09:08:25)

#883 2015-03-13 16:04:12

joebonrichie

I updated the PKGBUILDs in the AUR to work with the new changes from hugh's github. I've also included some additional dependencies, let me know if I've missed any.

I haven't version bumped it since hugh hasn't version bumped his ubuntu PPA yet.
Also hugh hasn't patched xf86-input-cmt for Austrialian Scrolling support again yet so that won't work for now.

fish-hp14 wrote:

I can confirm that the touchpad drivers works on falco (HP14 chromebook) after reverting the latest patches to get it to build.

Glad to hear it is working (thanks for the heads up about the git update by the way)

mk2soldier wrote:

Thank you again!

I recently updated the PKGBUILDs in the AUR with some dependency updates, could you try again.

What was the problem exactly - could you compile and install it successfully but it didn't work or did you run into errors during installation?

Last edited by joebonrichie (2015-03-13 16:33:21)

#884 2015-03-13 22:48:15

mk2soldier

joebonrichie wrote:

I updated the PKGBUILDs in the AUR to work with the new changes from hugh's github. I've also included some additional dependencies, let me know if I've missed any.

I haven't version bumped it since hugh hasn't version bumped his ubuntu PPA yet.
Also hugh hasn't patched xf86-input-cmt for Austrialian Scrolling support again yet so that won't work for now.

fish-hp14 wrote:

Glad to hear it is working (thanks for the heads up about the git update by the way)

mk2soldier wrote:

Thank you again!

I recently updated the PKGBUILDs in the AUR with some dependency updates, could you try again.

What was the problem exactly - could you compile and install it successfully but it didn't work or did you run into errors during installation?

Thank you for replying, I've restarted with a fresh installation of Arch Linux (Acer C720), I've installed 'yaourt', compiled and installed the 'xf86-input-cmt-xorg' package (with yaourt, no errors reported), run the 'cmt-post-install-sh' script, installed the 'xfce4' package group (with all the related members).
When I start xfce (with startx) I'm unable to move the touchpad cursor nor click any elements of the UI.

#885 2015-03-15 15:24:50

joebonrichie

A quick heads up. If you are on testing do NOT reboot if you've upgraded to systemd-219-3 as your boot will hang.
More info here
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44016
I've just had this issue and it looks like its time to bring out the USB drive and revert to systemd 218

edit: disregard this seems to be something unrelated (not sure what)

Last edited by joebonrichie (2015-03-15 21:23:58)

#886 2015-03-15 15:33:12

mk2soldier

joebonrichie wrote:

A quick heads up. If you are on testing do NOT reboot if you've upgraded to systemd 219 as you will be unable to boot.

More info here

I've just had this issue and it looks like its time to bring out the USB drive and revert to systemd 218

How could I narrow down the problem? Could I provide you some info (logs etc.)? Maybe I should not use yaourt and build the packages 'manually'?

Last edited by mk2soldier (2015-03-15 15:52:25)

#887 2015-03-15 17:08:48

joebonrichie

mk2soldier wrote:

How could I narrow down the problem? Could I provide you some info (logs etc.)? Maybe I should not use yaourt and build the packages 'manually'?

No need for that I figured it out.
The cmt module is not loaded when X is started manually with startx.

See here to load with cmt manually using startx and xorg.conf
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xo … _xorg.conf

I believe you have to edit:

etc/X11/xorg.conf

And add

Section "Module" 
    Load "cmt"
EndSection

More info: https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Depl … nf-modules

Alternatively, you can install a display manager which should load the cmt module automatically.
I know for a fact that if you use GDM the module is loaded properly.

If you install gdm and run:

journalctl -b | grep cmt

and get some output then success.

I haven't tried loading the module by editing xorg.conf file, so you are on your own if you go that route.
Hope this fixes the problem finally.

#888 2015-03-15 18:48:23

mk2soldier

joebonrichie wrote:
mk2soldier wrote:

No need for that I figured it out.
The cmt module is not loaded when X is started manually with startx.

See here to load with cmt manually using startx and xorg.conf
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xo … _xorg.conf

I believe you have to edit:

etc/X11/xorg.conf

And add

Section "Module" 
    Load "cmt"
EndSection

More info: https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Depl … nf-modules

Alternatively, you can install a display manager which should load the cmt module automatically.
I know for a fact that if you use GDM the module is loaded properly.

If you install gdm and run:

journalctl -b | grep cmt

and get some output then success.

I haven't tried loading the module by editing xorg.conf file, so you are on your own if you go that route.
Hope this fixes the problem finally.

I've tried with the modified xorg.conf but it didn't worked, then I procedeed to install the SLiM display manager (I know that it is not fully compatible with systemd anyway) and it worked out of the box. Thank you very much! You saved me! :-)

#889 2015-03-16 12:09:56

yorks-yy

How to change the boot order of the SeaBIOS?

I follow the wiki to enbale SeaBIOS and set to boot by default. without the USB stick it can boot from  iinternal SSD as normal.
But if I leave the USB stick  in the c720, in that case the system does not boot, as it tries to load an OS from  the USB stick.
I must reboot and then press ESC to select the boot driver.
So, I think the boot order is:

1 - USB stick
2 - Internal SSD

Is there a way to set  the Internal SSD to boot by default?

#890 2015-03-17 03:39:57

rh1n0

Just installed Arch on my C720, how can I stop the machine from turning off when I close the lid?

#891 2015-03-17 14:10:26

ewaller
Administrator

rh1n0 wrote:

Just installed Arch on my C720, how can I stop the machine from turning off when I close the lid?

What desktop environment are you using.  Gnome and KDE take it upon themselves to mess with that.  Otherwise, take a look at the settings in /etc/systemd/login.d

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#892 2015-03-17 14:48:29

SolarBoyMatt

yorks-yy wrote:

How to change the boot order of the SeaBIOS?

I follow the wiki to enbale SeaBIOS and set to boot by default. without the USB stick it can boot from  iinternal SSD as normal.
But if I leave the USB stick  in the c720, in that case the system does not boot, as it tries to load an OS from  the USB stick.
I must reboot and then press ESC to select the boot driver.
So, I think the boot order is:

1 - USB stick
2 - Internal SSD

Is there a way to set  the Internal SSD to boot by default?

I looked into this a while back, and you'd have to rebuild Coreboot to do this. Honestly it's not worth the effort in my opinion.

http://www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS#Configuring_boot_order

#893 2015-03-18 03:24:53

rh1n0

ewaller wrote:
rh1n0 wrote:

What desktop environment are you using.  Gnome and KDE take it upon themselves to mess with that.  Otherwise, take a look at the settings in /etc/systemd/login.d

Thanks, I was having this problem using i3 but fixed it by editing this line in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash add_efi_memmap boot=local noresume noswap i915.modeset=1 tpm_tis.force=1"

Everything seems to be working now.

Last edited by rh1n0 (2015-03-18 03:28:14)

#894 2015-03-18 17:57:51

melkir

joebonrichie wrote:

A quick heads up. If you are on testing do NOT reboot if you've upgraded to systemd-219-3 as your boot will hang.
More info here

edit: disregard this seems to be something unrelated (not sure what)

Same problem as you, I'm on testing repo, updated systemd and now I'm stuck at boot (before gnome start).
Will try to revert systemd.

Asus K73SD : ArchLinux | W8 ~ Acer  C720P : ArchLinux | ChromeOS

#895 2015-03-18 21:33:06

melkir

Gnome don't want to start even after retrograding packages testing to normal... sad

Edit : Removed peppy cmt driver, remove config files, install synaptics reboot. Gdm works now !
@joebonrichie I'm not sure, but I think that your last version package of peppy is incompatible with gdm sad

Last edited by melkir (2015-03-19 14:26:47)

#896 2015-03-20 02:32:11

joebonrichie

melkir wrote:

Gnome don't want to start even after retrograding packages testing to normal... sad

Edit : Removed peppy cmt driver, remove config files, install synaptics reboot. Gdm works now !
@joebonrichie I'm not sure, but I think that your last version package of peppy is incompatible with gdm sad

Just reinstalled to make sure I didn't derp the PKGBUILD again. I'm using gdm myself no issues. If you are using using gnome-unstable 3.15.92 (where gdm is running wayland) the module does not load on the x session but does on the wayland session.

#897 2015-03-21 21:56:36

moot

Newbie here.  I recently did a

pacman -Syu

for the first time in two months, with the result being that I could no longer start Xfce.  After boot up and logging in as myself (not root), and running startxfce4, I got (among other things):

Fatal server error:
(EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

I eventually figured out that I should create /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config and put this in it:

allowed_users=anybody
needs_root_rights=yes

which got me past the above error, but not before wasting time reinstalling xorg-server and xfce4, and downloading, extracting, and installing the newest stable release of linux-chromebook (3.18.1-1).

Now when I run startxfce4, the screen flashes text, and then goes black.  The chromebook is still on, but it is just a black screen (unresponsive to any keyboard input), and never changes.  Any suggestions?  I'd be happy to post outputs of lshw or systemctl.  The original distro I installed back in January was archlinux-2015.01.01-dual (32 bit).  I don't use a custom .xinitconf.

#898 2015-03-22 00:50:07

melkir

@moot
When you are on the black screen, try to alt+f2 and then install xorg-xinit ;
pacman -S xorg-xinit
Create a file ~/.xinitrc with the content :
exec openbox-kde-session
startx
And then return to the console and type : startx

Tell me if it's worked.

If you're on testing repo, you can also try to return to normal repo and do pacman -Syuua.
Also do you use xf86-input-cmt-xorg ?

If you can't access to the console, create a bootable usb with arch, and arch-chroot into your system.

Last edited by melkir (2015-03-22 00:56:29)

#899 2015-03-22 05:15:47

moot

@melkir
Thanks for the suggestions.

alt+f2 doesn't do anything on the black screen. (Also, generally, the keyboard appears to be unresponsive when it gets to that screen, although I don't have definite proof of this.  The power key still works, but perhaps that's special.)

I did run an install of xorg-xinit (pacman -S xorg-xinit) after boot and log-in, even though this isn't the same as your suggestion, since it is before I would normally run startxfce4.  It just indicated that it was being reinstalled, and it reinstalled without incident.  The file ~/.xinitrc already exists and is populated with text.  To try your contents, I copied it to a differently named file, and copied your text into ~/.xinitrc, and ran startx.  That didn't work, so I copied it back.

I tried pacman -Syuua (as root, of course), but it doesn't recognize the option "a", and I didn't see the reference in the man after a quick glance.  (Did you mean just -Syuu?  I tried that also, but it didn't fix the problem, so after a restart I ran a pacman -Syu to presumably return things to how they were.)

I don't use xf86-input-cmt-xorg.  (Yet.)

I have access to the console after booting arch, just not after I run startxfce4.  I do have a bootable usb with arch (3.17) on hand, though (and I could always make one with 3.18).

#900 2015-03-22 16:09:02

hckr
Website

mum1989 wrote:
LeoFa wrote:

Just wanted to plug the Adata Premier Pro M.2 SSD's http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=p … 3&piid=291 as a good option for ssd upgrade. I've been running the 128gb version for a couple of days now and the speed is amazing, boot time is 2x faster now, also did some tests; here is a screenshot http://i.imgur.com/MbQjICN.png on the left side are the mydigitalssd tests, read speeds comparable but write speeds of the Adata are much higher. It does not come near the advertised read/write speeds up to 550/530 MB/s though. 
These drives also have a Device Sleep function but i donno if that is actually used by linux kernel, imo it does not impact battery life.. maybe it even is better now. The reason this one is intresting is because i read the mydigitalssd ssd's were failing some people.. the Adata is also newer, and the price was 74,- euro wich I was ok with.
I'am not asociated with Adata but just wanted to stear people to this ssd upgrade because i read about failures with the MyDigitalSSD one witch is advertised everywhere if you goole it.
Hope to give some back this way
Greetz

ps. there is also a 256gb version for the crazy ones among us tongue

Thanks you for you tips.

I found two other SSD :
SSD Transcend MTS400  2242 and SSD Plextor M6G 2242.

Thank you for the recommendations!

The SSD from MyDigitalSSD failed AGAIN for my chromebook. This is the 2nd drive from them to fail, and frankly, I don't want to deal with them anymore. They have good customer service, but the failure rate of their drives is just not enough for me to recommend them by. And sadly I am not alone in this problem.

There were reports that the failure was due to a firmware issue, but this last drive had an updated version of the firmware, and it still failed just 2 months after. Sigh.

Last edited by hckr (2015-03-22 16:16:55)

Board footer