You are not logged in.

#176 2014-04-29 03:13:25

nariox
Member
Registered: 2014-03-19
Posts: 128

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

kirkpuppy wrote:
nariox wrote:

Funny that you say it takes over 10 secs. I'm booting to a full gnome desktop in about 10 secs (I'm using a few tricks, btrfs+lzo, upgraded SSD etc). What init does Fatdog use?

It takes 10-11 seconds from pressing the power button until grub loads. Then Fatdog takes 11-12 seconds. Fatdog64's filesystem is a compressed squashfs file, that get loaded into ram. I cut it down to about 200MB for the c720, normally about 237MB. So that takes a couple seconds to load, the rest of the time is the kernel probing hardware and udev loading modules (~6 seconds), Fatdog64's scripts setting up the filesystems, networking, etc. (~ 2 seconds) and Xorg starting (~2 seconds). There's some overlap in those times due to some things happening in parallel, but that's roughly what happens. With a normal Linux hard drive install to a SSD the boot times should be quite fast. I don't want to derail the thread too much though.   Is it taking ~10 seconds for your c720's firmware to load your boot loader? Did you set any other gbb flags?

Mine takes probably 2~3 seconds to get to grub. However, my system is installed on the SSD. I'm guessing it takes some time for Seabios to detect the USB, initialize it, mount and load grub. but with everything loaded into ram, the system should be blazing fast. As long as you have suspend going, boot time shouldn't be a problem, right?

Offline

#177 2014-04-29 11:50:34

kirkpuppy
Member
Registered: 2014-04-26
Posts: 8

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

nariox wrote:

Mine takes probably 2~3 seconds to get to grub. However, my system is installed on the SSD. I'm guessing it takes some time for Seabios to detect the USB, initialize it, mount and load grub. but with everything loaded into ram, the system should be blazing fast. As long as you have suspend going, boot time shouldn't be a problem, right?

I'm installed to the 16G SSD. Here's approximately what I see:

1) From pressing the power button until the white screen comes on that says to hit the space bar to re-enable secure mode ---  ~2 seconds
2) That white screen stays displayed --- ~ 2 seconds
3) Seabios loads and gives you a chance to hit the escape key for boot menu --- ~5 seconds
4) Grub loads --- ~ 1 second.

I enabled legacy boot with "crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1" and removed the write protect screw and did "set_gbb_flags.sh 0×489". Did you do anything different? Maybe I got different crappy firmware smile

I did try kernel 3.13.11, no luck with suspend. Again works on all my other laptops, just reboots with this one. Maybe it doesn't like that I'm using a initrd or maybe there's something in my kernel config that sets it off.

Offline

#178 2014-04-29 15:08:40

nariox
Member
Registered: 2014-03-19
Posts: 128

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

kirkpuppy wrote:
nariox wrote:

Mine takes probably 2~3 seconds to get to grub. However, my system is installed on the SSD. I'm guessing it takes some time for Seabios to detect the USB, initialize it, mount and load grub. but with everything loaded into ram, the system should be blazing fast. As long as you have suspend going, boot time shouldn't be a problem, right?

I'm installed to the 16G SSD. Here's approximately what I see:

1) From pressing the power button until the white screen comes on that says to hit the space bar to re-enable secure mode ---  ~2 seconds
2) That white screen stays displayed --- ~ 2 seconds
3) Seabios loads and gives you a chance to hit the escape key for boot menu --- ~5 seconds
4) Grub loads --- ~ 1 second.

I enabled legacy boot with "crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1" and removed the write protect screw and did "set_gbb_flags.sh 0×489". Did you do anything different? Maybe I got different crappy firmware smile

I did try kernel 3.13.11, no luck with suspend. Again works on all my other laptops, just reboots with this one. Maybe it doesn't like that I'm using a initrd or maybe there's something in my kernel config that sets it off.

Did a previous kernel have suspend working for you? Did you have the "tpm tis force" kernel parameter on?

By the way, I did make a recording of my C720 booting. I guess it was partially a placebo effect, in the end, I too need about 20 seconds to boot. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazvL73rstM
Is this somewhat what you have? Do you have the same Seabios version?

@connor.brks: Have you tried enabling bluetooth coexistence on ath9k? It should probably give you the same results as disabling bluetooth/ath3k, but you can still use bluetooth.

Offline

#179 2014-04-29 15:20:53

dhead
Member
Registered: 2012-09-26
Posts: 190

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

kschwarz wrote:

@dhead The Crucial one is definitely not working as it is to big search for the MyDigitalSSD SC2 Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF M2 SSD Solid State Drive I can confirm that this one fit.

Thanks.

Offline

#180 2014-04-29 16:19:02

connor.brks
Member
Registered: 2014-04-27
Posts: 7

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

@nariox
Yeah I did that, but even with that each time I boot there is a 1/10 chance that wifi won't work at all.
Even now with ath3k blacklisted, when connecting to a open network, NetworkManger attempts to connect once; no luck. It tries a second time and it manages to connect.

Does anybody know if the WiFi card in the chrombook is replacable? I think it'd be easier to just buy a new wifi card.

Offline

#181 2014-04-29 16:34:30

kschwarz
Member
Registered: 2014-04-27
Posts: 17

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

@connor.brks

According to http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/dev … chromebook wifi is soldered...

Offline

#182 2014-04-29 16:39:12

nariox
Member
Registered: 2014-03-19
Posts: 128

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

connor.brks wrote:

@nariox
Yeah I did that, but even with that each time I boot there is a 1/10 chance that wifi won't work at all.
Even now with ath3k blacklisted, when connecting to a open network, NetworkManger attempts to connect once; no luck. It tries a second time and it manages to connect.

Does anybody know if the WiFi card in the chrombook is replacable? I think it'd be easier to just buy a new wifi card.

I'm also using NetworkManager and it's working fine for me (much better than my BCM4331)
Can you make sure that netcfg/netctl is not enabled? They might start competing for the card if you have them enabled at the same time.

Offline

#183 2014-04-29 16:45:10

kschwarz
Member
Registered: 2014-04-27
Posts: 17

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

Mybe you can try

systemctl --type=service

and post output here?

Offline

#184 2014-04-29 16:46:28

connor.brks
Member
Registered: 2014-04-27
Posts: 7

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

@nariox
Neither of them are running, they may have been when my wifi was acting up. Next time it does I'll check if either of them are running.
By any chance does GDM enable or use netcfg or netctl? Because I started experiencing the issues after enabling GDM. On top of that, enabling GDM stopped suspend working when the lid was closed. Then about a hour after disabling GDM, it magically started working again...

@kschwarz

UNIT                         LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION
accounts-daemon.service      loaded active running Accounts Service
colord.service               loaded active running Manage, Install and Generate 
dbus.service                 loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
getty@tty1.service           loaded active running Getty on tty1
kmod-static-nodes.service    loaded active exited  Create list of required stati
NetworkManager.service       loaded active running Network Manager
polkit.service               loaded active running Authorization Manager
rtkit-daemon.service         loaded active running RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy
systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service loaded active exited  Load/Save Screen Backlight Br
systemd-journald.service     loaded active running Journal Service
systemd-localed.service      loaded active running Locale Service
systemd-logind.service       loaded active running Login Service
systemd-random-seed.service  loaded active exited  Load/Save Random Seed
systemd-remount-fs.service   loaded active exited  Remount Root and Kernel File 
systemd-rfkill@rfkill0.service loaded active exited  Load/Save RF Kill Switch Stat
systemd-sysctl.service       loaded active exited  Apply Kernel Variables
systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service loaded active exited  Create Static Device Nodes in
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service loaded active exited  Create Volatile Files and Dir
systemd-udev-trigger.service loaded active exited  udev Coldplug all Devices
systemd-udevd.service        loaded active running udev Kernel Device Manager
systemd-update-utmp.service  loaded active exited  Update UTMP about System Boot
systemd-user-sessions.service loaded active exited  Permit User Sessions
systemd-vconsole-setup.service loaded active exited  Setup Virtual Console
udisks2.service              loaded active running Disk Manager
upower.service               loaded active running Daemon for power management
user@1000.service            loaded active running User Manager for UID 1000
wpa_supplicant.service       loaded active running WPA supplicant

Last edited by connor.brks (2014-04-29 16:49:58)

Offline

#185 2014-04-30 15:44:21

kirkpuppy
Member
Registered: 2014-04-26
Posts: 8

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

nariox wrote:

Did a previous kernel have suspend working for you? Did you have the "tpm tis force" kernel parameter on?

By the way, I did make a recording of my C720 booting. I guess it was partially a placebo effect, in the end, I too need about 20 seconds to boot. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazvL73rstM
Is this somewhat what you have? Do you have the same Seabios version?

Old or new kernels all reboot on resume for me. I have tried tpm_tis.force=1 and all of the kernel boot parameters listed on the wiki. I've thought about swapping out the coreboot firmware with this: http://johnlewis.ie/coreboot-on-chromeb … -firmware/ but he notes that it reboots on resume with that firmware too and there's a 5 second delay when that firmware starts up, so not worth it. Your video looks like what I see too. Guess 20 seconds or so to boot isn't too bad. It's that or try to run on top of chrome.

Offline

#186 2014-04-30 16:27:40

nariox
Member
Registered: 2014-03-19
Posts: 128

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

kirkpuppy wrote:
nariox wrote:

Did a previous kernel have suspend working for you? Did you have the "tpm tis force" kernel parameter on?

By the way, I did make a recording of my C720 booting. I guess it was partially a placebo effect, in the end, I too need about 20 seconds to boot. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazvL73rstM
Is this somewhat what you have? Do you have the same Seabios version?

Old or new kernels all reboot on resume for me. I have tried tpm_tis.force=1 and all of the kernel boot parameters listed on the wiki. I've thought about swapping out the coreboot firmware with this: http://johnlewis.ie/coreboot-on-chromeb … -firmware/ but he notes that it reboots on resume with that firmware too and there's a 5 second delay when that firmware starts up, so not worth it. Your video looks like what I see too. Guess 20 seconds or so to boot isn't too bad. It's that or try to run on top of chrome.

Let me know if you do decide to try it out (but make sure you make a backup of your current firmware first).

Offline

#187 2014-05-01 10:48:52

gothmog123
Member
Registered: 2012-10-31
Posts: 105

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

There was a kernel update today and the touchpad script is not working with it. What's the way forward?

CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      kernel/bounds.s
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fstack-protector-strong’
/tmp/tmp.8mlcCJcU6Y/linux-3.14.2/./Kbuild:35: recipe for target 'kernel/bounds.s' failed
make[1]: *** [kernel/bounds.s] Error 1
Makefile:884: recipe for target 'prepare0' failed
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

Last edited by gothmog123 (2014-05-01 11:17:49)

Offline

#188 2014-05-01 12:26:40

kschwarz
Member
Registered: 2014-04-27
Posts: 17

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

According to here  http://www.outflux.net/blog/archives/20 … or-strong/ ‘-fstack-protector-strong’ will be a feature of gcc 4.9 which is available in the Arch testing repo according to https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/gcc/  hope this helps.


edit: I can confirm that it works with gcc 4.9 from testing

Last edited by kschwarz (2014-05-02 02:30:36)

Offline

#189 2014-05-02 04:35:45

gothmog123
Member
Registered: 2012-10-31
Posts: 105

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

Thanks! Is it safe to install gcc from testing? I'm scared.

Offline

#190 2014-05-02 05:03:04

masmullin
Member
Registered: 2014-04-10
Posts: 28

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

To fix the stack protector strong issue on gcc 4.8 you can do the following

open the cros-haswell-modules-archlinux.sh script.

After the line make oldconfig (line 51) add the line make menuconfig

Run the script.  Midway through execution you should come to a gui (this is the kernels configuration system).

Go into general setup ->Stack Protector buffer overflow detection (strong)
Change to regular, exit, exit and Yes to save

Let the script complete as normal

Offline

#191 2014-05-02 07:43:48

gothmog123
Member
Registered: 2012-10-31
Posts: 105

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

Thanks it works.

Offline

#192 2014-05-02 12:47:12

kschwarz
Member
Registered: 2014-04-27
Posts: 17

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

Does suspend work for anyone?

Offline

#193 2014-05-02 15:11:34

masmullin
Member
Registered: 2014-04-10
Posts: 28

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

Looks like gcc 4.9 is now out of testing and into core (base-devel), thus you shouldn't need to do the make menuconfig trick anymore.

Offline

#194 2014-05-03 09:28:14

linvinus
Member
Registered: 2013-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

Hi all!
just let you know there is how to make a working hibernate
http://www.reddit.com/r/chrubuntu/comme … 20/ch8eq2o
i know arch have systemd and different kernel, but may be some one can adopt this for arch?


AltYo - drop-down terminal, unique multi-line tabs and many other features https://github.com/linvinus/AltYo (based on Gtk3 libvte, written in vala) License GPL3+

Offline

#195 2014-05-03 10:49:25

pdixon
Member
From: Christchurch, New Zealand
Registered: 2014-04-21
Posts: 5

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

I've got suspend and resume going on 3.14 kernels. Based on my debugging and looking through some old chrome-os bugs there is a quirk in the chromebook firmware's handling of the tpm hardware that means the system resets on resume. On 3.13 kernels this quirk is worked around in the tpm drivers. During suspend the tpm drivers put the tpm hardware into a state where it will resume successfully. Unfortunately the tpm drivers in 3.14 are broken on c720. I haven't figured out what's wrong with them, but by reverting all the 3.14 changes to the tpm drivers I end up with a system that resumes.

I've written a PKGBUILD to install the patched modules
https://github.com/pdixon/PKGBUILDs/tre … 20-modules
This package includes the patched modules to get the touchpad working.

I'm using the following kernel command line

tpm_tis.interrupts=0 modprobe.blacklist=ehci_hcd,ehci_pci nmi_watchdog=0

the

tpm_tis.interrupts=0

is needed or the system hangs on resume.

the

modprobe.blacklist

stuff deals with the stray ehci device. This removes the need for the bind and unbind stuff that the cros-sound-suspend.sh script does.

Offline

#196 2014-05-03 13:25:50

nariox
Member
Registered: 2014-03-19
Posts: 128

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

@pdixon: Fantastic! Would you mind sharing your findings in here?
Do you know which commit caused the change in the kernel? Are there any side-effects from disabling the ehci drivers (does USB, bt, wifi, etc still work)?

Offline

#197 2014-05-03 13:31:46

linvinus
Member
Registered: 2013-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

pdixon wrote:
 modprobe.blacklist=ehci_hcd,ehci_pci 

This removes the need for the bind and unbind stuff that the cros-sound-suspend.sh script does.

i can confirm this is working! thanks!

i'm also using

rmmod cyapa ; modprobe cyapa

after resume, to fix touchpad

but some times i get error

[  265.688516] cyapa 7-0067: device not operational, -121
[  265.688527] cyapa: probe of 7-0067 failed with error -121

so i check dmesg if it have error then repeat

there is my script for that http://pastebin.com/xajaskQr


AltYo - drop-down terminal, unique multi-line tabs and many other features https://github.com/linvinus/AltYo (based on Gtk3 libvte, written in vala) License GPL3+

Offline

#198 2014-05-03 17:24:52

kirkpuppy
Member
Registered: 2014-04-26
Posts: 8

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

Thanks pdixon, your post made me look into my kernel config for tpm. I didn't have CONFIG_TCG_TPM set. So I rebuilt my kernel with that as a module and now suspend works! Thanks again. I also removed the ehci_hcd,and ehci_pci modules as you noted, it looks like xhci_hcd handles all the usb host controller duties.

Offline

#199 2014-05-03 17:27:40

dhead
Member
Registered: 2012-09-26
Posts: 190

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

Can anyone please confirm VT-x is available (and not somehow disable in Bios/UEFI).

Last edited by dhead (2014-05-03 17:28:23)

Offline

#200 2014-05-03 18:25:45

nariox
Member
Registered: 2014-03-19
Posts: 128

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

dhead wrote:

Can anyone please confirm VT-x is available (and not somehow disable in Bios/UEFI).

Yes, it is.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vmx
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer xsave rdrand lahf_lm abm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust erms invpcid

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB