You are not logged in.

#26 2006-01-22 02:45:44

ozar

Re: 2.6.15 kernels break ALSA [SOLVED]

Hey guys, I'm just wondering about those of you with the same problem... what SoundBlaster Live is it that you have in your box?

The one I have that doesn't work is one of the older 5.1 channels series, and I'm thinking it might just be certain SB Live cards that don't work, as Judd says his SB Live card works just fine.

I'm considering buying one of the newer 7.1 series cards tomorrow but don't really want to waste another $30 if it's not going to work.

Thanks for any info about this...  smile

oz

#27 2006-01-22 21:51:52

ozar

Well... solved it for myself by going ahead and buying a later version of the SoundBlaster Live audio card (got the 7.1 channel card for about $30) and it works fine with the new 2.6.15 kernels and ALSA.

While this problem isn't technically solved, I'm going to go ahead and mark it "SOLVED" because it's apparently just some of the older SB Live cards that don't work properly with the new kernel.  It appears that it's the 5.1 channel cards that don't work, so it's really an ALSA or kernel bug, I suppose.

Hope this helps someone.  smile

==============================================
(Edit:  As a side note, I just installed XFCE4 and found that the mixer built into it won't work with the new card, or the old card when using ALSA and the 2.6.15 kernels.  If you try to use it, the mixer doesn't come up, and you lose the xfce panel along with lots of icons in the start menu.  Some weird and buggy stuff still going on with the new kernels and ALSA, heh?)  wink

(Second Edit:  Decided to return the new Soundblaster Live card and purchased the Audigy 2 card instead, and it works without problems of any kind.  Don't really know what's up with the SB-Live cards and the newer kernels.

oz

#28 2006-02-12 19:21:02

qwerty

Hey, you haven't solved anything!!!!
I had to upgrade to kernel 2.6.15 again because of the new udev and now i've back with no sound at all....

#29 2006-02-12 19:26:06

qwerty

oooooopsssssssss... i've solved it.... i'm a dork i've just forgotten to re-run alsaconfig.... gggggggggggh   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Board footer