You are not logged in.

#126 2014-03-21 05:01:48

iv597
Website

Re: March 2014 Screenshot thread

There's too much tiling addiction in here.

pglrfn.png

I kid, I kid. But really, though. Minus Shell being a complete CPU+GPU whore, GNOME actually is pretty acceptable to me (I've been a tiling guy exclusively, spare one test run of mcwm and one test run of openbox-multihead, since late 2011). I love the workflow management, and it's definitely much more polished than it was last I tested it (3.4 I believe). Still some moments of wanting to hurt someone, but I'll take it for now. I admittedly am using it more to gauge how usable or not GNOME is to determine whether I want to give myself the go-ahead on writing my own DE a few friends and I have been discussing lately... So far, so undecided.

GNOME 3.10 with Numix GTK and Icons. Shell theme is elegance-colors running the almost stock Numix preset. Open Sans fonts pretty much everywhere that's not monospace - all monospace fonts are Inconsolatazi4 size 9. Using only a couple shell extensions, the only major one visible is the music control thing.

Running GNOME Music in the background (amazingly, after grinding my system to a halt scanning my 500GB library, it runs quite well, and sorts collections almost as well as cmus does), as well as Geary for mail (which, like all mail clients, sucks. I have significantly fewer complaints about this one than most, though).

Sublime 3 with a ridiculous load of packages installed on the right monitor. Off the top of my head, Soda Dark 3 theme, an SFTP plugin, a Git plugin, several extra syntax setups, snippets. etc. etc. Writing some AngularJS/Bootstrap goodness, if anyone's curious.

Last edited by iv597 (2014-03-21 05:05:00)

Currently running Arch on a Samsung Chromebook Pro (dual booted with ChromeOS), and various VPSes and Docker containers.

Dotfiles on Github

#127 2014-03-21 07:03:17

GSF1200S

iv597 wrote:

http://a.pomf.se/pglrfn.png

I kid, I kid. But really, though. Minus Shell being a complete CPU+GPU whore, GNOME actually is pretty acceptable to me (I've been a tiling guy exclusively, spare one test run of mcwm and one test run of openbox-multihead, since late 2011). I love the workflow management, and it's definitely much more polished than it was last I tested it (3.4 I believe). Still some moments of wanting to hurt someone, but I'll take it for now. I admittedly am using it more to gauge how usable or not GNOME is to determine whether I want to give myself the go-ahead on writing my own DE a few friends and I have been discussing lately... So far, so undecided.

GNOME 3.10 with Numix GTK and Icons. Shell theme is elegance-colors running the almost stock Numix preset. Open Sans fonts pretty much everywhere that's not monospace - all monospace fonts are Inconsolatazi4 size 9. Using only a couple shell extensions, the only major one visible is the music control thing.

Running GNOME Music in the background (amazingly, after grinding my system to a halt scanning my 500GB library, it runs quite well, and sorts collections almost as well as cmus does), as well as Geary for mail (which, like all mail clients, sucks. I have significantly fewer complaints about this one than most, though).

Sublime 3 with a ridiculous load of packages installed on the right monitor. Off the top of my head, Soda Dark 3 theme, an SFTP plugin, a Git plugin, several extra syntax setups, snippets. etc. etc. Writing some AngularJS/Bootstrap goodness, if anyone's curious.

Im an Openbox guy, but I tried Fedora's Gnome 3 on USB just to test it out. Aside from massive titlebars and needing to add some crap, its not all that horrible. 4 times better than Unity over on Ubuntu.

Still, as you said it is a CPU/GPU hog. I just dont see using Gnome 3 or Unity on a laptop that ever spends time off the AC brick. Its pitiful how bad Unity is. Fortunately I use OB and now experimenting with Awesome, i3 and bspwm, so I dont have a sacrifice to make. I dont understand however how in the age of mobile devices developers can be so indifferent to power consumption and efficiency. At least XFCE is pretty good...

#128 2014-03-21 12:01:58

fetyr2004

7Cw0XXx.jpg

I decided to do a fresh install, and go with gnome 3.

Theme is numix, with Faenza-ambiance icons.

Fetyr

Programming is a race between programmers making better software the the universe making bigger idiots.  So far the universe is winning.

#129 2014-03-21 16:31:35

Reznor

ApckKebs.jpg

rm -rf /

#130 2014-03-21 17:07:37

Crosspost from awesome wm thread : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1395281

#131 2014-03-21 17:58:02

iv597
Website

GSF1200S wrote:
iv597 wrote:

Im an Openbox guy, but I tried Fedora's Gnome 3 on USB just to test it out. Aside from massive titlebars and needing to add some crap, its not all that horrible. 4 times better than Unity over on Ubuntu.

Still, as you said it is a CPU/GPU hog. I just dont see using Gnome 3 or Unity on a laptop that ever spends time off the AC brick. Its pitiful how bad Unity is. Fortunately I use OB and now experimenting with Awesome, i3 and bspwm, so I dont have a sacrifice to make. I dont understand however how in the age of mobile devices developers can be so indifferent to power consumption and efficiency. At least XFCE is pretty good...

Massive titlebars are fixable completely (either the "registry" keys, or with new shell/GTK themes) so I consider that a non-issue (and certainly a decent positive on high-DPI screens or touch devices, which is n/a for me at the moment but I'll be looking into it when I grab my next laptop/tablet)

I completely agree with you on the resource inefficiency, though. I run this on a C7 Chromebook (dual-core Celeron 847 and integrated graphics) that gets about 4-4.5 hours on battery running a plain tiler and all terminal applications, even when turning off the compositor. Needless to say, it's pretty awful to begin with. Did a usage test last night of running a semi-standard workflow for me on battery, but with all GTK applications (terminals in Gnome feels wrong...). Managed to pull 3.75 or so - not as bad as I expected. I agree with the programmer mindset though, as a programmer myself. I think a lot of it is "out of sight, out of mind", honestly. Most developers don't seem to flock to the ultraportable stuff that is designed to get epic battery. They get the ultra-high-performance stuff that pretty much needs a wall adapter every 3-5 hours to begin with - knocking one hour off of that is considered a "trade-off", I'm thinking, since that's the type of device they're writing and testing this stuff on. Definitely a huge issue for the end users, though.

Currently running Arch on a Samsung Chromebook Pro (dual booted with ChromeOS), and various VPSes and Docker containers.

Dotfiles on Github

#132 2014-03-22 00:06:45

fayesafe

Just switched to Cinnamon 2 weeks ago, and was pretty inspired by other users :-)

CLEAN:
BQwBSwbs.jpg

DIRTY:
WYt9WHts.jpg

I use Boje-Greyscale as the gtk-theme and Matrilineare as icon theme. Hope you guys like it like i do :-)

Last edited by fayesafe (2014-03-22 00:07:03)

Talk is cheap - show me the code
// Linus

#133 2014-03-22 00:53:24

GSF1200S

iv597 wrote:
GSF1200S wrote:
iv597 wrote:

Massive titlebars are fixable completely (either the "registry" keys, or with new shell/GTK themes) so I consider that a non-issue (and certainly a decent positive on high-DPI screens or touch devices, which is n/a for me at the moment but I'll be looking into it when I grab my next laptop/tablet)

I completely agree with you on the resource inefficiency, though. I run this on a C7 Chromebook (dual-core Celeron 847 and integrated graphics) that gets about 4-4.5 hours on battery running a plain tiler and all terminal applications, even when turning off the compositor. Needless to say, it's pretty awful to begin with. Did a usage test last night of running a semi-standard workflow for me on battery, but with all GTK applications (terminals in Gnome feels wrong...). Managed to pull 3.75 or so - not as bad as I expected. I agree with the programmer mindset though, as a programmer myself. I think a lot of it is "out of sight, out of mind", honestly. Most developers don't seem to flock to the ultraportable stuff that is designed to get epic battery. They get the ultra-high-performance stuff that pretty much needs a wall adapter every 3-5 hours to begin with - knocking one hour off of that is considered a "trade-off", I'm thinking, since that's the type of device they're writing and testing this stuff on. Definitely a huge issue for the end users, though.

Thats cool.. I didnt bother with the titlebars as I didnt install tongue

Thats certainly better than Unity. There are reports of people have HALF OR LESS battery life on Unity then on something like Openbox or Awesome. THAT is a disgrace IMO. Yeah, I guess developers dont get much enjoyment out of bean-counting cpu cycles...

#134 2014-03-22 13:47:56

kolos

NPgF0Xcs.jpg
my old hd died so is a fresh install.. sorta
(openbox)

Last edited by kolos (2014-03-22 14:01:19)

och noes!

#135 2014-03-22 20:13:42

frankrehfeld

kolos wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/NPgF0Xcs.jpg
(openbox)

link to wallpaper please

#136 2014-03-22 21:18:01

ivoarch

@kolos
Can share the colors of your term?

I love GnuEmacs, GnuScreen, ratpoison, and conkeror.
Github )||( Weblog

#137 2014-03-23 00:32:15

kolos

frankrehfeld wrote:
kolos wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/NPgF0Xcs.jpg
(openbox)

link to wallpaper please

ivoarch wrote:

@kolos
Can share the colors of your term?

sure
wall: http://i.imgur.com/EpiwU4r.jpg
but it was to bright to read the terminals so http://i.imgur.com/d3EZX4N.jpg

colors:

!baskerville - ivory dark
*background:  #2D2C28
*foreground:  #A4A6AB
*color0:      #5B5955
*color8:      #707277
*color7:      #DBDDE2
*color15:     #F7F9FF
*color1:      #C4756E
*color9:      #F6A299
*color3:      #9B8A4B
*color11:     #CAB775
*color2:      #559A6A
*color10:     #82C896
*color6:      #019BAA
*color14:     #53CAD9
*color4:      #6A8DCA
*color12:     #98BBFB
*color5:      #B577AC
*color13:     #E5A4DB

Last edited by kolos (2014-03-23 00:38:37)

och noes!

#138 2014-03-24 23:09:48

jakobcreutzfeldt

It's been ages since I posted a screenshot but since I've been working on a new theme, here it goes:

screenshot-2014-03-24-thumb.png

I got tired of having Zenburn on everything. Then I tried Solarized...I liked the idea of Solarized but I didn't like the actual theme. So, I've set about putting together my own dark theme that's structured like Solarized but uses completely different colors. I'm still tweaking it a lot but this is what I have at the moment.

In the screenshot: dwm +xft patch +gaps patch, st +xft patch, emacs, conkeror (using a modified Aurora theme for GTK)

edit: sorry mods...I thumbnailed but I guess it was still too big...it's at 134x76 and 40K now

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2014-03-25 15:32:13)

#139 2014-03-26 13:28:05

DotDev
Website

2BWM

8VZkQP8.png

Full Size

#140 2014-03-26 13:36:35

aorith

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

It's been ages since I posted a screenshot but since I've been working on a new theme, here it goes:

http://invergo.net/img/screenshot-2014-03-24-thumb.png

I got tired of having Zenburn on everything. Then I tried Solarized...I liked the idea of Solarized but I didn't like the actual theme. So, I've set about putting together my own dark theme that's structured like Solarized but uses completely different colors. I'm still tweaking it a lot but this is what I have at the moment.

In the screenshot: dwm +xft patch +gaps patch, st +xft patch, emacs, conkeror (using a modified Aurora theme for GTK)

edit: sorry mods...I thumbnailed but I guess it was still too big...it's at 134x76 and 40K now

Nice one!, care to share your configs? (mostly colorscheme)

thanks

#141 2014-03-26 14:27:37

jakobcreutzfeldt

aorith wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

http://invergo.net/img/screenshot-2014-03-24-thumb.png

Nice one!, care to share your configs? (mostly colorscheme)

thanks

The theme is heavily in flux...I did some major changes last night, so that I'm no longer playing blindly with CIELAB colors via HSL but instead I'm now using HUSL to give the ease of generating nice color schemes from HSL with the consistency in luminance provided by CIELUV (i.e. if you generate a color triad or tetrad in HSL, some of the colors might appear brighter to the human eye than others, whereas doing the same with HUSL allows you to guarantee the same luminance (within the limit of the conversion back to RGB)).

Here is a screenshot of the current colors.

Here are the current colors in Xresources format:

! Opsin color scheme for the X Window System

! Common

#define O_yellow #787b39
#define O_orange #8b7539
#define O_red #d73c5b
#define O_magenta #c94196
#define O_violet #875fda
#define O_blue #437bb0
#define O_cyan #3f8090
#define O_green #3c8469

! Dark

#define O_base03 #0a0b0d
#define O_base02 #242629
#define O_base01 #5c5e62
#define O_base00 #6a6b6c
#define O_base0 #838485
#define O_base1 #8e9195
#define O_base2 #d2d4d9
#define O_base3 #f6f6f8

*background: O_base03
*foreground: O_base0
*fading: 40
*fadeColor: O_base03
*cursorColor: O_base1
*pointerColorBackground: O_base01
*pointerColorForeground: O_base1

*color0: O_base02
*color1: O_red
*color2: O_green
*color3: O_yellow
*color4: O_blue
*color5: O_magenta
*color6: O_cyan
*color7: O_base2
*color9: O_orange
*color8: O_base03
*color10: O_base01
*color11: O_base00
*color12: O_base0
*color13: O_violet
*color14: O_base1
*color15: O_base3

I've been developing the theme in a Fossil repository here.  To get up and runnig with it (you need fossil),  do:

$ fossil clone https://repos.invergo.net/opsin-theme opsin-theme.fossil
$ mkdir opsin-theme
$ cd opsin-theme
$ fossil open ../opsin-theme.fossil
$ autoreconf -fvi
$ ./configure

(or if you go to the site, and log in as anonymous, you can download a tarball without having to clone the repository). Note that some of the code is directly copied from Solarized implementations (with original copyright notices in place, of course).

There are a few directories with configs for various programs.  Some of my own personal configurations are still in there but it should be simple enough to copy/paste the relevant color parts. Alternatively, you can drop your own configuration files in there and replace the color codes with the Autoconf macros to automate the process as the theme updates.

If you want the old colors from my first screenshot (at least the colorful highlight colors), they're commented out in the configure.ac file. I think the present ones are better though. I welcome feedback anyway.

I shouldn't turn this into a support thread, so if you have any questions feel free to contact me off-site. Once the theme is stable, I'll probably post something about it here in the community contributions. I'm already liking it way  more than both Zenburn and Solarized, so maybe others will too.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2014-03-26 14:31:16)

#142 2014-03-26 16:10:45

x33a
Forum Fellow

@ jakobcreutzfeldt, using NoScript, I am being considered a bot/spider on your fossil repo.

#143 2014-03-26 16:40:36

aorith

i3 with the panel in hide mode

http://imgur.com/uTs2Qja

thanks @jakobcreutzfeldt for colorscheme, just need to tune vim

#144 2014-03-26 16:51:51

jakobcreutzfeldt

x33a wrote:

@ jakobcreutzfeldt, using NoScript, I am being considered a bot/spider on your fossil repo.

Yes, I know, it happens to me too with privoxy. The way around it is to just log in as anonymous.

It's a quirk of Fossil that is an attempt to avoid bots/spiders generating diffs for all the files on all the commits, which uses a lot of CPU. I tried disabling it but it seems to persist; I've been too lazy to really dig into it though.

#145 2014-03-27 14:58:35

sushixnyan
Website

Not too much more going on for my setup this month. Minor updates to my bar and a new wallpaper big_smile.

~ Clean:                                                      ~ Fakebusy:
2014-03-clean.jpg    2014-03-fakebusy.jpg

Github   Blog   DeviantArt
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#146 2014-03-27 15:46:29

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

2014_03_27_111858_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

i3

Mr Green

#147 2014-03-27 16:11:28

HiImTye

sushixnyan wrote:

Not too much more going on for my setup this month. Minor updates to my bar and a new wallpaper big_smile.

~ Clean:                                                      ~ Fakebusy:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/e3cb2eoielr7jij/2014-03-clean.jpg    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/mlyyoz0hym7wdzw/2014-03-fakebusy.jpg

I like your $PS1 wink

#148 2014-03-27 16:22:00

Fixxer

Another_Amazing_March_Screenshot.jpg

#149 2014-03-27 17:16:26

Kolibry

Starting to love tmux, as I don't really need tiling for other stuff than terminal.

1395940574.png

1395940498.png

Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290
ArchLinux Openbox - My Github

#150 2014-03-27 18:12:34

synorgy
Website

Been a while since I showed my screen off. Why not.
DWM, Firefox (with userChrome), URxvt + dvtm (tagging branch in git), vim, semi-custom color script, mocp (not shown: Abduco)

EDIT: Forgot to mention: Colorscheme by earsplit (slight modifications by me)

Clean:
i1xyFbSm.png

Semi-fake dirty:
FwCuuoym.png

Last edited by synorgy (2014-03-27 19:49:36)

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

Board footer