You are not logged in.

#26 2006-01-17 20:48:45

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: 2.6.15-archck3: Community PKG + PKGBUILDs

oops.. mistake, new one is building and uploading now mic64, thanks.

#27 2006-01-17 20:56:18

mic64

well..but how can I now boot into arch??
vmlinuarchck26 replaced the old one..there is no backup..

Update: I tried almost every possible way to boot back into arch..I guess there is just no way without chroot or things like that.

#28 2006-01-17 21:26:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

Boot your system with a Live CD, and chroot into Arch. pacman -A the standard kernel26 package, which should be in /var/cache/pacman/pkg. You will get the replace question again - say Yes. You should be OK to reboot after that.

#29 2006-01-17 21:32:26

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm not using archck for the moment, but I was looking through the various files, and near the end of post_upgrade in the .install file, there's the following:

# generate new init ramdisk
echo ">>> Generating initial ramdisk.   Please wait..."
/sbin/mkinitrd --quiet auto

Should that not be mkinitramfs? :?

#30 2006-01-17 21:43:42

potentials

Trying to get fbsplash work

I've installed kernel26archck and mkinitramfs from community and put the darch theme in /etc/splash/, the question is:

How can I use mkinitramfs to create an image that has the theme in it?

#31 2006-01-17 21:44:04

mic64

what do I have to do with chroot exactly?

#32 2006-01-17 21:59:01

sputnik

Great work, everything works except raid... anyway to fix this???
says:

mount: special device /dev/md/0 does not exist

when trying to mount the filesystem.

#33 2006-01-17 22:09:53

brotheris

Anyone installed archck kernel and nvidia driver successfully ? I get:
"-> Performing CC test with CC="cc".
-> gcc-version-check failed:

The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.1) does not exactly match the
   current compiler (gcc 4.0).  The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects kern
   el modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that of t
   he compiler used to build the running kernel"

and gcc in repository is 4.0, not 4.1. What now ? smile

#34 2006-01-17 22:17:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

mic64 - mount your Arch root somewhere e.g. /mnt/arch. Then do

chroot /mnt/arch /bin/bash

You will now be at a bash prompt in Arch. Do the pacman thing, and when it's finished, do

exit

to get out again. Reboot.

#35 2006-01-17 22:30:06

mic64

thanks

got it..works so far

#36 2006-01-17 23:23:41

niqo

brotheris wrote:

and gcc in repository is 4.0, not 4.1. What now ? smile

Same problem, unable to install nvidia drivers with this kernel.
Please rebuild with gcc 4.0

#37 2006-01-17 23:46:39

Cam
Website

iphitus wrote:

Cam: Well, the community package will no longer let you have that. You need to use the ramdisk.

But really... its not that difficult.

The default ramdisk configuration will work for nearly everyone, so the only change is to add the initrd to lilo/grub. A one liner.

The install script automatically runs mkinitramfs for you, so for each new kernel or update, the ramdisk remains at the same path, and your config will still be compatible if you configured it -- no need to change it.

Really, you're just running from something that's a worthwhile change, and allows me to provide more capabilities in ArchCK. It also makes developers life much easier, and your kernel much smaller. You dont realise how many IDE drivers there are, that we are forced to include in an all in one kernel. A lot, and they're wasting your system memory and cache.

But hey, if you dont want initramfs, thats cool. You can always compile your own kernel, the ArchCK patchset itself is unchanged and will work initramfs or no initramfs.

iphitus

Thanks for the description. I will start to use it eventually, I just don't have a whole lot of time at the moment should my system decide not to boot after the upgrade and I wouldn't know how to fix it except boot from a live CD, chroot and roll back the package. Better to save all that (imagined) drama until a later date I think wink

#38 2006-01-17 23:54:11

phydeaux

I just wanted to add a little helpful line I add to my custom initrd (and in this case initramfs) PKGBUILDS and install files to make the managing of the image files a little easier.

In the install file I add a _kernel_version variable, what its actually set to doesn't matter at this point.  and I change the line that calls mkinitrd to use this variable.  I also mv the image from its default to a name that more follows the other files in /boot.  This keeps  me from having to edit grub's menu.lst every time I update the kernel.

# arg 1:  the new package version
# arg 2:  the old package version

_kernel_version=2.6.15-ck1-ARCH

post_install () {
  echo ">>> Updatinging initial ramdisk.   Please wait..."
  /sbin/mkinitrd kernel_version=$_kernel_version
  mv /boot/initrd-${_kernel_version}.img /boot/initrd26archck.img
}

Then at the bottom of the PKGBUILD I use sed to change the value of _kernel_version in the install file to what ever _kernver happend to be in that package. So I don't have to hit myself when I realize I forgot to update the install file after I'm done building the package.

sed -i "s|^_kernel_version=.*$|_kernel_version=$_kernver|g" $startdir/kernel26archck.install

I found that usefull in keeping my ck kernel package up to date while archck was on hiatus wink

Also do you think you could put CONFIG_IPW2200_MONITOR=y into the config.  I hate having to compile a whole kernel just for that one option.

andy

#39 2006-01-17 23:57:22

ozar

Yeah Gullible... it surprised me too, when it asked if I wanted this kernel to replace the stock one.  I went ahead and said yes just to see what it looked/felt like and it broke my system leaving it not bootable.  I'm sure I could have played with grub to get it going again, but it was easier to simply restore my previous installation images.

Maybe I'll play with this kernel some this weekend when I have more time for experimenting.  smile

oz

#40 2006-01-18 04:12:47

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Sorry about the replace guys, that was a stupid mistake, as was a handfull of bugs in mkinitramfs.

A new package was MEANT to be uploaded this morning with that fixed, but my computer locked up during the build. Just my luck.

I looked for the ipw2200 monitor options, and its not there, theres one for ipw2100, but not 2200.

As for GCC, my fault, I had the 4.1 from testing from a few weeks back, which has since been pulled. Next release will be GCC4.

sputnik: Change /dev/md/0 to /dev/md0

whoa... I messed up that release up badly. However all known bugs are fixed in the one building now as well as some improved instructions and initramfs stuff..... smile

I apologise for the messups and the breakages, caused by that last release. 

iphitus

EDIT: New package has been uploaded.. it will appear in the repos within an hour or two, mirrors after that.

#41 2006-01-18 06:23:59

_Gandalf_

iphitus, Thx for ur work but i have some questions, actually initramfs/initrd is confusing me a bit, now kernel26 from arch repo is initrd right? if i install this one, vmlinuz26 and initrd26.img will still be available to use right? i tired it already with ur first post, i already noticed that, but i had a problem everytime i boot it will display something like vesafb and intel VGA (my card is i910) but booting progress will not be shown all i see is uncompressing kernel, these messages and after that i will be taken to gdm..
so i did removed the kernel26arch and intramfs but that left me with unbootable arch complaining that /initrd (don't quite remember if initrd or initrd.img) not found, i was forced to reinstall since i tried re-installing the kernel from the cd installation, re-install grub, run mkinitrd auto and full, nothing would solve it

now am afraid to install ur new release and be in the same situation, is it normal that i wont see boot progress?

last question, on this new release, following [URL=http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php//index.php/Gensplash]Gensplash[/URL]  would get me a splash???

thx

#42 2006-01-18 07:36:21

drfindley
Website

iphitus wrote:

I looked for the ipw2200 monitor options, and its not there, theres one for ipw2100, but not 2200.

Don't know if this helps
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/ … /0531.html

#43 2006-01-18 08:16:40

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Ok, will include in next patchset release.

Gandalf, new release wont mess up the standard Arch kernel, so if you have any problems, you can revert easily.

#44 2006-01-18 08:22:14

_Gandalf_

_Gandalf_ wrote:

[...]
so i did removed the kernel26arch and intramfs but that left me with unbootable arch complaining that /initrd (don't quite remember if initrd or initrd.img) not found, i was forced to reinstall since i tried re-installing the kernel from the cd installation, re-install grub, run mkinitrd auto and full, nothing would solve it
[....]

Actually i know now what happened, i was digging a bit in it and i found the problem, let me quote PKGBUILD of mkinitramfs

build() { 
  install -D -m 755 $startdir/src/mkinitramfs $startdir/pkg/sbin/mkinitramfs
  install -D -m 644 $startdir/src/mkinitramfs.conf $startdir/pkg/etc/mkinitramfs.conf
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/initrd
}

at the end of it, the line

mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/initrd

which already exist and is needed for booting, but Removing mkinitramfs will remove /initrd folder, and that will drive arch unbootable unfortunately, i've had this 5 mns ago i was like yikes but when i just looked to / i didnt find this folder, i created it and it worked again

so please isn't there a solution to make mkinitramfs not to remove /initrd folder upon removing it???

Thx

#45 2006-01-18 10:24:48

tomk
Forum Fellow

tomk wrote:

The wiki page on initrd includes details on how to mount and view/edit the contents of an initrd image. Can that be done with an initramfs image?

Never mind - found it on suspend2.net and knoppix forum. If anyone's interested, to expand your initramfs image do this:

# mkdir my_initramfs
# cd my_initramfs
# gzip -dc < /boot/your_image_name.img | cpio -i

To recompress it:

# find . | cpio --quiet -o -H newc | gzip -9 > /boot/your_image_name.img

#46 2006-01-18 13:25:19

patroclo7

Just a word about the radeonfb sleep fix that iphitus has kindly included in his kernel. This fix allows anyone owning a radeon card in a non-ppc architecture to have correct sleep states, without improper energy comsumption. You obtain this result only if you use the fb with the radeonfb driver (not with the vesafb or vesafb-tng). The patch is activated by default only on certain ibm thinkpad laptops, but is useful on many, many other laptops models (included my compaq presario 2100, for example): for these other models the patch has to be activated with a specific kernel boot parameter:

video=radeonfb:force_sleep=1

You can find many infos and a detailed discussion about this fix (which should be included in a future vanilla kernel) here: http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3022
A less techinical (but mainly related to fedora kernles) outline of the problem is here:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_ … ACPI_sleep

Obviously, if you want to take immediate benefit of this fix using an initrd or a initramfs, you have to include the radeonfb in you initrd/initramfs kernel image.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#47 2006-01-18 13:27:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Also from suspend2.net:

Initrd/Initramfs's with Suspend2

Using an initrd with Suspend2 is possible. To use this, you MUST edit your linuxrc (or init) script to contain the line

echo > /proc/suspend2/do_resume

BEFORE the script mounts your filesystem. If the line is missing, your system will not resume. If the line comes after mounting file systems, you will most likely suffer from filesystem corruption. You have been warned.

I'm building my first initramfs kernel now, so I'll be checking this out anyway, but maybe it should be configurable in /etc/mkinitramfs.conf, like fbsplash and dsdt? Otherwise, people will have to manually edit init.

#48 2006-01-18 14:15:56

wt

mic64 wrote:

I didn´t notice that replacement and said "yes" to replace the kernel26.
Now I can´t boot into stock kernel or archck kernel.
Is there any way to get this fixed?

i've got the same problem sad is it possible to fix it by booting from arch 0.7.1 install cd, and choosing "install kernel" from the menu? I don't have any LiveCD's.. sad

#49 2006-01-18 14:44:11

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Res … oot_loader

might help

I would say so long as you can chroot into your system then you could just run pacman -S kernel26 .... set up lilo/grub

HTH

Mr Green

#50 2006-01-18 14:45:10

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Res … oot_loader

might help

I would say so long as you can chroot into your system then you could just run pacman -S kernel26 .... set up lilo/grub

HTH

I am concerned that archck wipes out vmlinuz26 & initrd26.img conflicts with stock kernel ?? but maybe thats what going to be fixed

Mr Green

Board footer