You are not logged in.

#26 2006-02-12 01:47:22

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Becoming a Trusted User

Three best packages, eh?  Well... I haven't really had a need for many apps that haven't already been packaged, and so my contribution to the AUR is, at the moment, still somewhat thin. 

I was the original packager for Spidermonkey, Mozilla's Javascript engine.  I believe that was adopted by iph or phrak and actually moved into [extra] pretty quickly as a dependency to gxine, though.  Actually kinda proud of that; the first package I ever submit gets shuttled straight into extra. big_smile

Second "best" package, I suppose, would be my ATI-drivers xorg 7 package.  I never submitted that to AUR, because I wasn't sure how people would smile upon having tons of ati-drivers packages floating around.  The PKGBUILD and related files are on the wiki though, at ATI fglrx and Xorg 7.  In fact, if you guys think it's a good idea, I'll add that to AUR right away.  Anywho, I ended up testing alot of different variations of the package before I figured out how to get it working.  Realized only the graphical installer included xorg6.9/7 compatible modules, so the RPM couldn't be used - figured out how to extract the files from the installer and build them manually, and have been updating that package in the wiki since 8.20.8 driver version.  As an addendum to this, I was rolling my own kernel package for personal use for a while to build AGP as modules - apparently required to support ATI's drivers.  That was until kernel26archck came along... I've been using the [community] package for that ever since.

As for third best... well, I did package madwifi drivers for myself back in the day.  Possibly there wasn't an AUR then, or I wasn't aware of it, because I never shared that package.  Similarily I packaged RSSOwl 1.2 when it wasn't being updated in the AUR.... and it actually still isn't updated in the AUR yet.  Didn't submit that package 'cause it's still got a maintainer listed, plus it links against swt 3212 which is a development version and so I'd have to include that with the package too... 

As far as packages that are visible to you guys, I've put two in the AUR recently.  Anathema, which is a java-based character generator for White Wolf's exalted roleplaying game.  It's still under heavy dev, but it's a pretty decent program, and I intend to keep the package up-to-date when they update. That one was pretty simple though, unzip, copy, create script in /usr/bin to run it.
The other currently in the AUR is micro-c++ (listed as micro-cpp since AUR doesn't like +'s to appear in the package name).  It's an extention to C++ that allows for coroutines, improved exception handling, light-weight concurrency, and some other stuff I haven't learned about - it's actually pretty neat, the kind of control flow it allows in code.  This was mainly for my course in concurrency that I'm currently taking - they require us to program in uC++.  This took a bit of examining the makefile to figure out how to package correctly, and was interesting to do.

So, that's my illustrious packaging career, plus a few tweaks to existing packages.  *bow* 

As an added bonus, I'm a real code-monkey.  Once I get started on something, say writing a program for class or working on a package, I get pretty into it, to be honest.  The ATI packages I have in the Wiki and in the forums here ("ATI Xorg 6.8/7.0 kernel-independent packages"), once I started working on them, I got pretty dedicated to finishing them.. it's quite the feeling to get a package working and have other people tell you that it works for them too.

Lordy, my head's spinning... I think I have a fever or something. tongue  I'll blame it on the afore mentioned assignment.  Curse you, school, giving me diseases!

-=edit=- add links to AUR'd packages.

#27 2006-02-13 03:21:50

WillySilly

iphitus wrote:

Ooh! Beer!

Beer, a mans only weakness...well, besides getting kicked in the crotch.

#28 2006-02-13 05:01:01

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

So beer, have I beer impressed you all beer with my awesome beer skills?

I'm also always ready to help people out - you'll notice many, if not most, of my more recent posts on the forum are to help others work through their issues, or just chat it up amicably.

This subliminal message brought to you by Beer!

#29 2006-02-14 17:55:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I've been impressed, dude smile

#30 2006-02-14 18:01:42

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Cerebral wrote:

... you'll notice many, if not most, of my more recent posts on the forum are to help others work through their issues, or just chat it up amicably.

That's not good enough. To really show your worth, you have to demonstrate a proven ability in thread hijacking.  8)

Dusty

#31 2006-02-14 18:14:41

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:

That's not good enough. To really show your worth, you have to demonstrate a proven ability in thread hijacking.  8)

Well, I did take a thread about anyone becoming a TU and turned it into a thread about ME becoming a TU.... and beer.  I suppose I still have a ways to go there, but hey, it's a start, right?

#32 2006-02-14 18:29:56

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

perhaps it is a start. If you focus on the beer you'll have a winner. :-D

Dusty

#33 2006-02-14 20:32:28

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

beer?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#34 2006-02-14 20:39:31

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

What kind of beer do you guys like to drink while hijacking threads?

#35 2006-02-14 20:40:48

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

cold!

Mr Green

#36 2006-02-14 20:46:20

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Mr Green wrote:

cold!

Wow. I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard..
my coworkers looked at me funny. wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#37 2006-02-14 20:53:53

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

wink  chill

Mr Green

Board footer