You are not logged in.

#51 2014-06-28 12:02:11

Sudowoodo

Re: New Skype for Linux released, version 4.3 | Edit: Now in Repo's

firekage wrote:

Thank you.

BTW - i wonder, if i install it from aur, and then in repos there will be newer Skype, would i have to update skype-secure, or reinstall it?

Skype secure warps around an installed binary, you can update skype normally without affecting skype-secure.

archlinux
Sudowoodo!

#52 2014-06-28 15:47:39

firekage

Thank you. I would like to ask for one thing. I'm trying to do everything what wiki says about pulse and alsa. I installed pulseaudio and pavucontrol. I did not install pulseaudio-alsa. I have problem with one thing.

Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa.

Find and uncomment lines which load back-end drivers. Add device parameters as follows. Then find and comment lines which load autodetect modules. 

load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop
# load-module module-udev-detect
# load-module module-detect

I edited default.pa, i added at the end of config files

load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop

and uncommented

# load-module module-udev-detect
# load-module module-detect

in this section

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
#load-module module-udev-detect
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
#load-module module-detect
.endif

but after reboot, when i tried to launch pavucontrol, i have this error:
http://imgur.com/cdYp2UA

They say about this

Find and uncomment lines which load back-end drivers

i don't know wchich lines load back-end drivers.

Could you help me? I also added this

$ echo export KMIX_PULSEAUDIO_DISABLE=1 > ~/.kde4/env/kmix_disable_pulse.sh
$ chmod +x ~/.kde4/env/kmix_disable_pulse.sh

What i'm doing wrong?

I solved my problem. Something was wrong with default pulse configuration ( i once tried to play a little with it, so there were left old config files). I removed all things related to pulse by doing pacman -Rns pulseaudio, after that i deleted /etc/pulse/ and ~/.config/pulse. Rebooted, reinstalled pulseaudio and pavucontrol - i have sound from two apps at the sime time (deadbeef trough alsa and adacious trough pulse at the sime time) so now the easy part - only one thing to do, either stick with old skype (i did all the things above because i wanted to try something new - ont thing is not quite sure for my, why pulseaudio and pavucontrol detects only one sound card, my creative xfi. I thing it is because this card is default card for alsa and i created file for it in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf with snd_ctxfi index=0, so maybe that's why pulse sees only one card) or install newest and skype-secure.

Thanks! I learned a lot trough this day with tyring to solve it!

Last edited by firekage (2014-06-28 22:02:48)

#53 2014-06-28 22:23:07

firekage

stupidus wrote:

There is no link. It's all in this thread.

Here's the summary:

1. Install skype-secure from AUR

2. Install pulseaudio

3. Setup pulseaudio to use dmix, as explained here

4. remove any pulseaudio files from /etc/xdg/autostart

5. copy /etc/pulse/client.conf to ~/.config/pulse/ for all your normal users, uncomment the autospawn line in these files and set it to no

6. optionally reboot your system to be sure

If you follow these steps, you should still be using alsa for your normal user, but use pulseaudio for skype.

But if you did not have sound at all with skype, you might have some other problem with your sound setup. For me there were no problems, because I have a very simple setup with only one sound card, and only the builtin speakers and microphone of my laptop.

I would like to ask for one thing more - these steps are neccesary for skype 4.3? I asked because i...checked something else. I reverted back to 4.2, installed pulseaudio, configured it to use dmix, as explained on archwiki and while playing sound trough deadbeef with alsa, i was doing test call with skype and skype recorded sound without problem trough pulse but i did not delete anything from /etc/xdg/autostart and did not copy anything from /etc/pulse/client.conf to ~/.config/pulse. I don't even have client.conf file in /etc/pulse.

Is it really neccesary when it works for 4.2 without step 4 and 5?

Last edited by firekage (2014-06-28 22:24:29)

#54 2014-06-29 10:40:41

stupidus

It is not necessary to do any of these steps if you just want to use skype. I just assumed you wanted to use skype without pulseaudio, because that's what I was talking about the whole time and you asked me. Of course you could set up pulseaudio correctly, and just use pulseaudio for all of your sound. Steps 4 and 5 are only necessary, if you want to prevent pulseaudio from doing anything at all, except for the times when you use skype.

#55 2014-06-29 19:51:33

firekage

Thank you very much. Now i understand everything smile

#56 2014-07-01 20:57:32

hifi25nl

In my case skype-secure trick is not working.
I have applied all 6 suggestions but:

1) First, I must start pulseaudio manually with "pulsaudio --start". I don't know...maybe this was obvious..
2) Starting sskype (skype-secure) I have the following error:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

. This is not fixed exporting the library before.
3) No playback sound

However, if I start the normal skype (after starting pulseaudio) all is fine.

Last edited by hifi25nl (2014-07-02 06:40:53)

Board footer