You are not logged in.

#26 2014-08-09 05:12:31

CubeGod

Re: no network when trying to install arch on a dell inspiron 1501

Okay, I've been checking around and I can't use my brothers ipad for it (needs jailbreaking and itunes, the first is not viable as he doesn't want that and the second is obviously not viable)

but what about bridging the wlan from my laptop over to his using the unused ethernet port? Is this viable? I have bridged ethernet over lan that way by using one box as a pseudo-router to extend a connection by setting the ethernet to bridge over the other ethernet, is this viable for WLAN or are there some restrictions I'm not taking into account?
If that doesn't work what about setting up a system with a generic initial ramdisk containing all the drivers available, this should work as I've done something similar when setting up a custom image (a tad overkill for this however), I could temporarily remove the hdd from one of my laptops, install with all drivers and then put the hdd back, this should work with a generic image instead of a targeted one and I've not had problems doing this for a live system, however there are probably issues I'm not accounting for.

TL;DR/my rambling was too confusing to read (sorry about that, 2 AM doesn't go well with typing):
Can I bridge my wifi over to the other laptop using an ethernet cable? (assuming that the b44 module doesn't require firmware, if it does that's a moot point anyway)
If not can I use another laptop, install arch with a generic initrd image and then rebuild a tailored one once the system is running?
And finally if that's not possible, what's the most painless way to rebuild an arch image with the firmware on it? (this is however a last resort as it'd be a major pita unless building images has changed drastically since I last tried it)

#27 2014-08-11 06:29:19

CubeGod

okay, I've found some resources on the subject and I am now attempting to use a laptop with working internet as a server (however unlikely it'll succeed as I didn't get ethernet when booting directly plugged to the router on the arch iso but when booting the parted magic iso I did get ethernet, does the b44 chipset require firmware? I haven't read anything about it but it's not entirely unlikely)

#28 2014-08-11 11:22:31

swordfeng

Scimmia wrote:

Strange that the wired interface doesn't even show up.

As for the BCM4311, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=183114 says that there is a kernel bug. You'll also need firmware: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/b43-firmware/ or to use the wl driver https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl/

My wired interface doesn't show up either.It's:

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

Try `lscpi | grep ethernet -i`.

Board footer