You are not logged in.

#126 2014-09-26 01:18:58

Jodell

Re: gnome-unstable stirs once more!

Another focus issue is with fullscreen flash windows with firefox. If I try to use any of the flash controls I get a desktop right mouse click. The only way to get out of fullscreen is to bring up the overview and click on another application other than firefox.

#127 2014-09-26 01:45:05

conley

The bug (EDIT: to be more specific, the bug that pushakk found) doesn't occur in Fedora 21 Alpha, for reference, which is using 3.13.92 (IIRC). Probably not an upstream bug, then, because Fedora is upstream-first, and I don't see anything in Gnome's bugzilla. Perhaps there is a relevant package that isn't in gnome-unstable yet.

Last edited by conley (2014-09-26 01:45:57)

#128 2014-09-26 05:47:43

Kopkins

Is anyone else having trouble with the cursor disappearing over the gnome shell elements (The top bar, Overview, Shell menus)?

#129 2014-09-26 08:51:53

kjell

Just installed on my aging acer netbook (ati gpu)..so far no issues.

#130 2014-09-26 09:09:03

brittyazel

For Gnome Software:

"To avoid this such long running task, you can download http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … ons.tar.gz and http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … rch.xml.gz

Then, as root, you can import them using appstream-util install arch-icons.tar.gz and appstream-util install arch.xml.gz"

I tried this using the appstream packaged with gnome-unstable and this did not work. I then tried it with the aur package for appstream and it worked great. Gnome-software now shows me all sorts of metadata and suggestions. Maybe the appstream version in gnome unstable doesn't have the appstream-builder for alpm switched on?

I don't really know what I'm doing.

#131 2014-09-26 11:37:19

blackout23

brittyazel wrote:

For Gnome Software:

"To avoid this such long running task, you can download http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … ons.tar.gz and http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … rch.xml.gz

Then, as root, you can import them using appstream-util install arch-icons.tar.gz and appstream-util install arch.xml.gz"

I tried this using the appstream packaged with gnome-unstable and this did not work. I then tried it with the aur package for appstream and it worked great. Gnome-software now shows me all sorts of metadata and suggestions. Maybe the appstream version in gnome unstable doesn't have the appstream-builder for alpm switched on?

You mean the out-dated and orphaned appstream package from AUR or appstream-glib-git?
Trying to install the icons and metadata with "sudo appsteam-util install" didn't work for me either.

Last edited by blackout23 (2014-09-26 11:39:34)

#132 2014-09-26 12:05:23

dhead

@blackout23

It does works, you may need to restart the desktop (reboot, exit X) and you can also create updated metafile.

Richard Hughes wrote:

The AppData files are extracted from the distro archive (17,000 packages to scan for Arch) using a command called appstream-builder. This takes several hours and then 4 AppStream files are spit out, two of which useful for the end user. Once either installed manually (or installed by a package) these provide all the data gnome-software needs about applications and addons.
If you're interested, the command I used was https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-sc … ch/arch.sh and the resulting files are http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … rch.xml.gz and http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … ons.tar.gz -- both installable using "appstream-util install"

p.s. From a quick test it looks like gnome-software stuck in the installation process when a package have multiple dependencies to choose from, that provides the same functionality (for example kactivities-frameworks and kactivities4).

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-26 12:19:41)

#133 2014-09-26 12:19:34

blackout23

dhead wrote:

@blackout23

It does works, you may need to restart the desktop (reboot, exit X) and you can also create updated metafile.

Richard Hughes wrote:

The AppData files are extracted from the distro archive (17,000 packages to scan for Arch) using a command called appstream-builder. This takes several hours and then 4 AppStream files are spit out, two of which useful for the end user. Once either installed manually (or installed by a package) these provide all the data gnome-software needs about applications and addons.
If you're interested, the command I used was https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-sc … ch/arch.sh and the resulting files are http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … rch.xml.gz and http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … ons.tar.gz -- both installable using "appstream-util install"

Doesn't work for me. I have the latest packages from gnome-unstable. Installed both packages with sudo appstream-util install so they can be written to /usr/share/appinfo and rebooted. Now when I start Gnome Software I get "No app data found" and don't see any applications.

#134 2014-09-26 12:24:11

dhead

@blackout23

Not sure if related but do you got appdata-tools installed ?
Edit: I do.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-26 12:25:05)

#135 2014-09-26 12:34:47

blackout23

dhead wrote:

@blackout23

Not sure if related but do you got appdata-tools installed ?
Edit: I do.

Yes I do, aswell. When I do appdata-validate arch.xml.gz I get:
Failed: failed to parse 'arch.xml.gz': Error on line 1 char 1: Document must begin with an element (e.g. <book>)

Which would explain things. Did you create the metadata yourself or did you download the files provided by Richard?

Last edited by blackout23 (2014-09-26 12:35:14)

#136 2014-09-26 12:36:12

JGC
Developer

My guess is that appdata-tools doesn't unpack the data by default, so you have to gunzip the file first.

#137 2014-09-26 12:42:17

blackout23

JGC wrote:

My guess is that appdata-tools doesn't unpack the data by default, so you have to gunzip the file first.

When I unzip the file arch.xml.gz and try to install or validate it it complains that it doesn't recognize the file.
"No idea how to process files of this type."

Last edited by blackout23 (2014-09-26 12:42:38)

#138 2014-09-26 12:49:10

dhead

I didn't extracted the archives and I'm using the files provided by Richard, just running

# sudo appstream-util install arch-icons.tar.gz
# sudo appstream-util install arch.xml.gz"

It looks like the icons are extracted to "/usr/share/app-info/icons/arch/" and  arch.xml.gz is copied to "/usr/share/app-info/xmls/".

#139 2014-09-26 13:24:46

blackout23

dhead wrote:

I didn't extracted the archives and I'm using the files provided by Richard, just running

# sudo appstream-util install arch-icons.tar.gz
# sudo appstream-util install arch.xml.gz"

It looks like the icons are extracted to "/usr/share/app-info/icons/arch/" and  arch.xml.gz is copied to "/usr/share/app-info/xmls/".

The "install" worked, since I have it in these places as well. Can you try running appdata-validate on /usr/share/app-info/xmls/arch.xml.gz?

#140 2014-09-26 13:59:15

dhead

@blackout23

# appdata-validate /usr/share/app-info/xmls/arch.xml.gz
Failed: failed to parse '/usr/share/app-info/xmls/arch.xml.gz': Error on line 1 char 1: Document must begin with an element (e.g. <book>)

#141 2014-09-26 17:12:45

pushakk

Hi,

functions media keys doesnt work (audacious) in 3.14. It did in 3.13.91.

I really cant understand how is it so arbitrary. It happens to me from gnome 3.2. Sometimes media keys works, upgrade and it stop working, upgrade again and its working one more time. Its really annoying.

Bridgness control doesn't work neither, not from panel nor function keys.

#142 2014-09-26 19:13:06

brittyazel

blackout23 wrote:
brittyazel wrote:

For Gnome Software:

You mean the out-dated and orphaned appstream package from AUR or appstream-glib-git?
Trying to install the icons and metadata with "sudo appsteam-util install" didn't work for me either.

The appstream-glib-git version. Installing the git version, I was able to install metadata fine, which I was not able to do with the gnome-unstable version. I also got the "no metadata found" message. However after getting it to install with the git version, I then reinstalled the gnome-unstable version and the metadata was still there and working well.

#143 2014-09-26 19:52:59

dhead

brittyazel wrote:

The appstream-glib-git version. Installing the git version, I was able to install metadata fine, which I was not able to do with the gnome-unstable version. I also got the "no metadata found" message. However after getting it to install with the git version, I then reinstalled the gnome-unstable version and the metadata was still there and working well.

Ohh... right, I also had the git version installed before but I only installed the metadata after I removed the git version and installed the gnome-unstable version.

#144 2014-09-26 20:23:53

brittyazel

There is a fair amount of quirkyness with regards to the gnome-software version right now and metadata (and updates too apparently), hopefully these get worked out

#145 2014-09-28 17:03:01

blackout23

Works with appstream-glib-git for me aswell.

#146 2014-09-28 19:10:24

dhead

Did anyone got the desktop running directly on Wayland (and not through XWayland) ?

To see if you're running through XWayland:
* Open looking glass (Alt+F2, enter: lg)
* Go to the Windows tab
* Choose a process and click on its title (for example: gnome-shell).
* If GType is MetaWindowX11 then its a XWayland window.

This should had forced the desktop to use the Wayland backend but Gnome just crashes.

# export GDK_BACKEND=wayland 
# gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-28 19:10:55)

#147 2014-09-28 19:28:01

blackout23

dhead wrote:

Did anyone got the desktop running directly on Wayland (and not through XWayland) ?

To see if you're running through XWayland:
* Open looking glass (Alt+F2, enter: lg)
* Go to the Windows tab
* Choose a process and click on its title (for example: gnome-shell).
* If GType is MetaWindowX11 then its a XWayland window.

This should had forced the desktop to use the Wayland backend but Gnome just crashes.

# export GDK_BACKEND=wayland 
# gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland

Probably, because you'd have to switch all the other backends as well like Clutter etc.

#148 2014-10-02 16:59:40

linfan

Well I don't care much for wayland or xwayland in gnome. It is not fully implemented in gnome 3.14 any way. But I am glad that I have switched over to nouveau and the booting is more pleasant looking, although the framebuffers do not work on grub. But I guess in some 5+ years it will work, by which time they figure out that wayland is outdated and start making a new server to replace it, hahaaa... But I guess that it is as it should on a bad ass linux distribution as Archlinux - always bad ass always after the latest innovations. And often times you can roll back if you don't like something and Ignore updates.

#149 2014-10-03 07:52:40

maslascher

@linfan- Yes, that is possible, but remember why Wayland is now developed. Wayland is being developed because X.org is not working properly and to avoid situations like this with X.org pretty much everything is client side.

#150 2014-10-03 15:28:53

linfan

Well, I do have both wayland and xwayland installed, but for the moment, I prefer to start gnome with startx instead of gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland, which does not work as expected. Before the release of gnome there was much writing on phoronix about wayland being enabled in gnome 3.14 and fedora going to make it default, but now after the release, the reports about gnome 3.14 and wayland do not look so reassuring.

But I am glad that I started to look into wayland in time, so that it does not come as a shock, when (and if) it eventually hits Archlinux.

Board footer