You are not logged in.

#51 2014-11-21 05:12:31

ANOKNUSA

Re: [Solved] hwdb.bin does not exist

root wrote:

This circumstance lets me thinking as to why would I look for something in the journal when I do not even know that the message is "supposed" to call my attention and can be checked there after the boot process?

falconindy wrote:

You can ignore the "error" -- it'll be a debug level message again in systemd 218.

In other words, a typical user is not supposed to see it at all, and seeing it doesn't mean anything is actually wrong. falconindy's quote above suggests it's been there in for some time under some circumstances, and you've just never seen it until now. It doesn't need your attention. It's solely for the purpose of debugging the initramfs. You don't see it during boot with the "systemd" hook enabled (or in the future, even without it) for the same reason you don't see the dozens of other lines of output during boot with a standard log level, and you only do see it for now because it slipped through the cracks during the releng process. There's nothing wrong.

#52 2014-11-22 06:05:11

root

Re: [Solved] hwdb.bin does not exist

@ANOKNUSA

If you read the quote from me you used in context you will see that it is not the unproblematic nature of the error but the lack of its notification during startup after switching to the systemd hook (in exchange, among others, of the udev one which I understand to be 'equivalent' in terms of this kind of notifications) which raises my question.

Even after taking advantage of ukhippo's advice (see #49 #50) it does not at the 'debug' level. And if it does, due to the 'blessed' speed of systemd and the amount of data on screen, it isn't easy to spot. Not so comforting if it were to be a problematic error.

Of course in the end I could simply be wrong and expect too much from the systemd hook as of now and be better off with the former hooks I used. Or, even better, rest assured that the errors, especially the problematic ones, will actually show up on screen in a perceptible way despite this puzzling absence.

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

Board footer