You are not logged in.

#276 2016-05-07 19:21:29

The Compiler
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Lord Bo wrote:

Hi, I got a font-problem. Everywhere in the qute! browsers content the same sans-serif font is used. Any help apreciated! And by the way: Thank You for this wonderful browser, it's a great successor to dwb!

Thanks! smile Can you show the output of fc-list?

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#277 2016-05-07 19:33:55

Lord Bo

Thank You for your answer. The output is rather long, so I put it here. Fonts are working in other browsers (e.g. firefox).

#278 2016-05-07 19:44:27

The Compiler
Website

Hmm, weird - what Qt version does :open qute:version show? And does anything change if you start qutebrowser with --temp-basedir?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#279 2016-05-08 05:35:45

Lord Bo

The version info shows "Qt: 5.5.1, runtime: 5.6.0" and "PyQt: 5.5.1". Starting with --temp-basedir doesn't change anything.

#280 2016-05-08 06:39:07

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Do you have some special font settings in either qutebrowser or firefox? What are your fontconfig settings and what does 'fc-match <font-family>' (e.g. 'fc-match serif') show? Recently I had an issue with italic sans-serif looking like serif in qutebrowser and it turned out to be misconfigured infinality, so maybe it's something like that in your case too.

#281 2016-05-08 08:07:34

Lord Bo

fc-match sans outputs

DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

fc-match serif outputs

DejaVuSerif.ttf: "DejaVu Serif" "Book"

fc-match monospace outputs

DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"

There are no special settings (especially no user stylsheets) in my qutebrowser.conf. (Which probably should make no difference, as starting qutebrowser with --temp-basedir doesn't work either.)

#282 2016-05-14 06:33:04

Lord Bo

Indeed it was a configuration issue. Despite the correct defaults fonts being set, qutebrowser did not use them. I had to explicitly set monospace (which is called 'fixed' in the qutebrowser settings page) and serif default fonts in the qutebrowsers settings page. I would always expect the default systems fonts to be used, if I do not configure any fonts, but I'm not sure, if this is a problem of qt5 or qtwebkit or qutebrowser or a misconfiguration of my system.

Last edited by Lord Bo (2016-05-14 06:35:25)

#283 2016-05-14 22:17:30

The Compiler
Website

Lord Bo wrote:

Indeed it was a configuration issue. Despite the correct defaults fonts being set, qutebrowser did not use them. I had to explicitly set monospace (which is called 'fixed' in the qutebrowser settings page) and serif default fonts in the qutebrowsers settings page. I would always expect the default systems fonts to be used, if I do not configure any fonts, but I'm not sure, if this is a problem of qt5 or qtwebkit or qutebrowser or a misconfiguration of my system.

I'm pretty sure it's a Qt/QtWebKit issue.

Qt and font selection/rendering has a lot of funny issues... Though this is probably going to get better with QtWebEngine too.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#284 2016-05-16 14:30:19

Lord Bo

Ah, ok, nice. I don't have an overview over the available browser engines. Is it already production ready?

However, I got another question. Quite often I have a Problem of cached JavaScript. This is a bit problematic during developement. Sometimes it helps to close a page and to reopen it. Sometimes however that does not help. Is it possible to clear the cache of qutebrowser completely for a specific website?

#285 2016-05-16 15:45:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Lord Bo, whether QtWebEngine is production ready really depends on your definition of "production ready".  By most definitions it looks like the answer would be "very close, but not quite yet".

You can see some information on TheCompiler's github:
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/1492
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/666

I forget what the invocation is, but there is a flag to be able to test out webengine rendering with qutebrowser, but it is (or was last time I tried it) basically a toy-interface lacking most of what we all love about qutebrowser.  The rendering engine seems ready to go, but it sounds like the API to tie it in with all the browser functionality is what is still a bit of a work in progress.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#286 2016-05-17 10:53:56

portix

Lord Bo wrote:

However, I got another question. Quite often I have a Problem of cached JavaScript. This is a bit problematic during developement. Sometimes it helps to close a page and to reopen it. Sometimes however that does not help. Is it possible to clear the cache of qutebrowser completely for a specific website?

You can reload the page with :reload -f or R, that bypasses the cache.

#287 2016-05-18 20:58:01

kenyonj

I'm seeing quite a bit of screen tearing on a regular basis. Is this an upstream issue with QT?

see here:

http://i.imgur.com/Jxy9OcLl.png

-- mod edit: converted img to url tags.  Please see forum guidelines on image sizes.  Trilby --

Last edited by Trilby (2016-05-19 02:13:23)

#288 2016-05-22 20:06:52

Lord Bo

portix wrote:
Lord Bo wrote:

You can reload the page with :reload -f or R, that bypasses the cache.

This does not seem to work for JavaScript loaded via XHR. An example can be downloaded via:

git clone https://bitbucket.org/bschnitz/qutetest.git

Here the test.js file is loaded asynchronously using requirejs. When changing the contents of test.js and using :reload -f to reload the page, test.js is still hold in the cache and not reloaded. I figured out, that I can switch to the network tab in the inspector and reload test.js by double clicking on it. However it would be nice, if it was reloaded via :reload -f like the other assets, too.

There seems to be no -R flag for reload, or am I mistaken?

By the way: Don't overlook the question of the previous poster.

#289 2016-05-24 10:52:30

portix

@Lord Bo: It seems that :reload -f doesn't work for local files. I tried your example, if i open it directly from the filesystem you are right, but if i use a webserver the file isn't cached at all. I don't even need to use :reload -f to see the changes.

#290 2016-05-24 20:18:49

Lord Bo

Ok, then I'll just use a little python server. Thank You for that info smile .

#291 2016-05-26 16:26:26

SubS0

Hi,

since last git-version (or maybe older), when pressing "g", there's a window reminder opening. I can't find a way to disable it in keys.conf, nor in qutebrowser.conf.

Is it possible via config file ?

Last edited by SubS0 (2016-05-26 16:27:17)

#292 2016-05-26 20:33:56

karlch

qutebrowser changelog wrote:

New pop-up showing possible keybinding when the first key of a keychain is pressed. This can be turned off using :set ui keyhint-blacklist *.

Hope this helps smile

#293 2016-05-27 05:24:08

SubS0

Oh, thanks ! I read the changelog before posting...how is it possible I missed such an obvious information !

:set ui show-keyhints false

did the job !

#294 2016-06-05 11:05:12

null

Is there any way to change the highlight color of the search? I really don't like the yellow but can't find any options in qute://settings..

#295 2016-06-05 12:29:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

null, I suspect that is a qt theme setting.  I'm not familiar with qt theming and wasn't able to find the right property quickly - but it seems qt just uses css stylesheets for widget styling.  You can test alternative styles just on qutebrowser with `qutebrowser --qt-stylesheet /path/to/test.css` and look through qt docs to find what selector and style controls the search-match colors.

(edit: s/qt-style/qt-stylesheet/)

Last edited by Trilby (2016-06-05 13:39:43)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#296 2016-06-05 13:20:20

The Compiler
Website

Great news: The qutebrowser development blog is now finally up and running, with a first post detailing the timeline for QtWebEngine support and some more background infos.

And now, as always a bit late, answers to your questions wink

Lord Bo wrote:

Ah, ok, nice. I don't have an overview over the available browser engines. Is it already production ready?

I added an answer to this to the FAQ in the first blogpost.

kenyonj wrote:

I'm seeing quite a bit of screen tearing on a regular basis. Is this an upstream issue with QT?

That'd be some issue with Qt or your graphic driver. You're not the only one: #1234. Hopefully things will look different with QtWebEngine, but I've never seen this and can't really say much...

Lord Bo wrote:

Here the test.js file is loaded asynchronously using requirejs. When changing the contents of test.js and using :reload -f to reload the page, test.js is still hold in the cache and not reloaded. I figured out, that I can switch to the network tab in the inspector and reload test.js by double clicking on it. However it would be nice, if it was reloaded via :reload -f like the other assets, too.

There seems to be no -R flag for reload, or am I mistaken?

I can't do more than that using the API Qt gives me - maybe this will look better with QtWebEngine too, no idea.

null wrote:

Is there any way to change the highlight color of the search? I really don't like the yellow but can't find any options in qute://settings..

I think this is hardcoded by Qt or WebKit, I've not seen any way to change it.

Trilby wrote:

null, I suspect that is a qt theme setting.  I'm not familiar with qt theming and wasn't able to find the right property quickly - but it seems qt just uses css stylesheets for widget styling.  You can test alternative styles just on qutebrowser with `qutebrowser --qt-style /path/to/test.css` and look through qt docs to find what selector and style controls the search-match colors.

That'd be --qt-stylesheet - --qt-style takes a style name as mentioned here.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#297 2016-06-05 13:38:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah, that's what I did wrong.  That confirmed I had the right property name for selected text.  The default colors seem to be yellow background for all search matches, and blue for the currently selected.  The following will change the selected background to red:

$ cat style.css
* { selection-background-color: red; }
$ qutebrowser --qt-stylesheet style.css

I haven't found the property name for the search matches that aren't selected, but this is a proof-of-principle that it is not a qutebrowser config, but a general qt theming question.

#298 2016-06-08 11:53:45

null

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately that (aka the active search match) is also the only thing I could find after half an hour searching the web. Unless anyone has a link with some documentation about qwebview css properties I give up for now. It really isn't that important smile

And btw. Very excited about the planned support for the QtWebEngine. It's awesome that you got the project backed for two months smile

Last edited by null (2016-06-08 12:37:53)

#299 2016-06-08 12:18:15

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

There is a Qt Style Sheets Reference, which unfortunately does not include information about QtWebkit. I guess many properties listed there are used under the hood, plus maybe some extra properties.

Last edited by lahwaacz (2016-06-08 12:19:15)

#300 2016-06-08 14:01:53

The Compiler
Website

If there was a Qt stylesheet property for it, I could easily expose it as qutebrowser setting. This SO post also didn't find one, and it seems like it's indeed hardcoded:

Color RenderTheme::platformInactiveTextSearchHighlightColor() const
{
    return Color(255, 255, 0); // Yellow.
}

Last edited by The Compiler (2016-06-08 14:02:06)

File "<stdin>", line 1

Board footer