You are not logged in.

#201 2015-11-16 14:27:41

Mercader1902
Member
Registered: 2014-09-01
Posts: 55

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Thanks @Trilby, I couldn't find it yesterday.

The Compiler wrote:
Mercader1902 wrote:

Hi, how can I disable adblock? A whitelist would be very handy.

Apart from what Trilby already told you, in the git version there's also content -> host-blocking-whitelist to exclude some domains from being blocked despite being in the adblock list.

If you want to disable adblocking completely for some pages, that'll come as part of per domain settings at some point in the future.

That's what I was asking but I can definitely live without it.
Thank you for all and keep up the good work. wink

Offline

#202 2015-11-17 22:50:18

apl
Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 13

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Hi,

I'm super happy to have found a replacement for dwb. One feature I miss is adding search engines using "gs". I thought I might be able to figure this out as a userscript, but can't seem to get the search form url using the QUTE_URL variable. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for a great browser!

Offline

#203 2015-11-18 00:12:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,682
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

apl, I only ever used that keybinding once the first time I used dwb - frankly I never quite understood it.  Isn't setting up your search engines something you just do once?  Do you need a keybinding for a one-time configuration when you can just type the url into the config file?

Admittedly I only ever use one search engine: duck duck go.  For any specialty search, there are bangs.  And if there isn't a bang already, they're ridiculously easy to create.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#204 2015-11-18 05:14:31

apl
Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 13

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

I used 'gs' for much more than typical search engines. My public library online catalog for example, and many other sites that have searchable content. If I found myself going to a site more than once and then searching I could quickly add the seach using 'gs' as a shortcut. But your right, not a deal breaker.

Part of my interest was just in writing the script. I enjoy it, and making something I may find even slightly useful in the future is rewarding and fun for me.

Offline

#205 2015-11-18 06:34:19

Denharad
Member
Registered: 2015-11-18
Posts: 2

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

I am having an intermittent issue. After qutebrowser has idled for a while with a few tabs open, navigating to an inactive tab reveals that page navigation is locked. Pgup-down, space, and scroll wheel are all ignored, but half page movement (C-d, C-u) do work and once used, all navigation works fine.

This has been present for quite a while but I thought I should post to see if it's a genuine bug or misconfiguration on my part. I am running up to date Qt packages and qutebrowser-git.

Qutebrowser has been my daily browser for months now, vimperator and vimium just don't cut it. It's great to see features like the whitelist getting integrated. I wish it weren't quite so ram hungry when I am on my low end devices but that seems to be a common 'web browser' problem.

Offline

#206 2015-11-18 10:35:35

navi_se
Member
Registered: 2015-07-06
Posts: 135

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Some websites have multiple frames, and I could not find a command to shift focus between different frame inside a page. Is this possible or in the making?

Offline

#207 2015-11-18 12:39:34

holish
Member
Registered: 2015-11-18
Posts: 1

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

You can just use "f" and there should appear a hint in the top left corner of the frame.

Offline

#208 2015-11-18 13:13:59

navi_se
Member
Registered: 2015-07-06
Posts: 135

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

If I press f I get all the links inside the frame, but no hint to the frame itself.
Try see this eg. on feedly.com . EDIT: I am afraid you can see what I mean only if you have an account on this website.

You are actually right, and if I put up a reguarl framed website it works as you describe. It must be that the website I am using is relying on something different for building its frames.

Last edited by navi_se (2015-11-18 13:20:31)

Offline

#209 2015-11-21 15:34:15

apl
Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 13

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Denharad,

I haven't experienced the issue you describe, but your post (#205), did point out the fact that "j" and "k" were handled differently than "Ctrl-D" and "Ctrl-U" by qutebrowser.

I have been a little unhappy with how qutebrowser scrolls by default on duckduckgo result pages. Instead of scrolling the page, qutebrowser seemed to be scrolling through the results, highlighting each one in turn. Because of your post I looked at ~/.config/keys.conf and noticed that "j" and "k" where bound to "scroll down" and "scroll up" while "Ctrl-D" and Ctrl-U" were bound to "scroll-page 0 0.5" and "scroll-page 0 0.5". The 0.5 represents the fraction of the page which is moved (half the page in this case) with each key stroke/repeat. I replaced "scroll down" for j with "scroll-page 0 0.06" and "scroll up" with "scroll-page 0 -0.06" and have been happy with the results.

Would this possibly help solve your issue as well?

Offline

#210 2015-11-21 17:48:20

brianb
Member
From: Montreal, QC
Registered: 2012-02-17
Posts: 81
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Hi all,

First, many thanks to Florian for this very nice browser.

Second, I was wondering if there is a function/command to bounce back to the previously focused tab (if there is one). Vimperator has such a command, bound by default to <Control-^>, just like in vim. I would like to bind it to <Backspace> in qutebrowser.

Offline

#211 2015-11-21 19:28:59

brianb
Member
From: Montreal, QC
Registered: 2012-02-17
Posts: 81
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Also, it seems it's not possible to use --detach with spawn in a hint command. Any way to fix this?

I want to be able to open videos with mpv, so I followed the FAQ and added this to keys.conf:

spawn mpv {url}
    x

hint links spawn mpv {hint-url}
    ;x

It works flawlessly, except that if I close the tab in which I initially pressed x/;x, then mpv closes.

Changing spawn in the spawn command to spawn --detach fixes this problem:

# This works.
spawn --detach mpv {url}
    x

However, changing spawn to spawn --detach in the hint command throws an error: it treats --detach as an argument of spawn, rather than as a modifier.

# This doesn't work.
hint links spawn --detach mpv {hint-url}
    ;x

The error:

hint: Unrecognized arguments: --detach mpv {url}

Any way to get around this?

Last edited by brianb (2015-11-21 19:35:16)

Offline

#212 2015-11-22 20:48:51

brianb
Member
From: Montreal, QC
Registered: 2012-02-17
Posts: 81
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

I solved my first problem (#210): the command tab-focus takes an index, which can be the special index last, which denotes the index of the most recently used tab. So it's sufficient to bind <Backspace> to tab-focus last. (It turns out that <Ctrl-Tab> is already bound to tab-focus last -- I hadn't realized that until I checked my keys.conf while writing this post.)

But now I have a new question: Is there an index for the actual last (as in, final) tab of the tab list? In some programming languages, the last index is -1, but that doesn't work here.

The reason I want that is because I want to bind g0 (or g^) to tab-focus 1, and bind g$ to tab-focus <final>.

Right now, I have the following workaround:

tab-focus 1 ;; tab-prev
    g$

...but then <Backspace> doesn't work properly: If I start on tab 3, then hit g$ to go to tab 7, then <Backspace> brings me to tab 1, not tab 3.

Offline

#213 2015-11-23 22:45:33

Ambrevar
Member
Registered: 2011-08-14
Posts: 212
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

@brianb: The issue with with spawning on a hint is known, see #797 and #795 for a workaround.

Offline

#214 2015-12-09 16:52:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,682
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

I don't know this is hardwired by QtWebkit or not, but I've been realy annoyed by the use of only the "clipboard" selection instead of the primary selection when I try to Shift+Insert paste content into a textbox.

For contrast, all other browsers and many gui programs have a context menu option to "paste" text which as a de-facto standard comes from X's Clipboard selection.  But in all other browsers and gui programs I can also use Shift-Insert to paste from the primary selection.  In Qutebrowser, either of these methods pull only from the Clipboard selection.

I don't have any interest in using the clipboard selection.  Everything I use is already configured to use just the primary selection the way I'd like.  I started hacking around this annoyance (I'm not going to use a "clipboard manager" daemon - those are ridiculous), but I've modified key bindings for tmux for example to copy to *both* the primary and clipboard selection just so I can live with this behavior in qutebrowser.  Then I realized I might ask here if there was a way to change this behavior.

Even if someone's tastes differ from mine, having both mechanisms (context menu or Shift-Ins) paste from the same source is redundant, and goes agains the (at least de-facto) standard of Shift-Ins being for the primary selection.

So is there a way to configure qutebrowser so that Shift-Ins pulls from the primary selection?  If not, could this be considered for addition?  Or is this restricted at the rendering engine level? (I don't think it is as other webkit browsers do this the way I'd expect).

EDIT: Middle click works!  In every other program I use middle click and shift-insert do *exactly* the same thing, so for some reason I hadn't bothered to try it here.  But in qutebrowser, middle click inserts the primary selection (which I want) and shift-insert pastes from the clipboard.  I'd love to have shift-insert insert from primary, but with middle click working, I can live with it.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#215 2015-12-13 12:00:10

The Compiler
Member
From: Switzerland
Registered: 2011-05-01
Posts: 214
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Sorry for the late answers!

apl wrote:

One feature I miss is adding search engines using "gs". I thought I might be able to figure this out as a userscript, but can't seem to get the search form url using the QUTE_URL variable. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't think there's an easy way to do that for an userscript I'm afraid.

Denharad wrote:

I am having an intermittent issue. After qutebrowser has idled for a while with a few tabs open, navigating to an inactive tab reveals that page navigation is locked. Pgup-down, space, and scroll wheel are all ignored, but half page movement (C-d, C-u) do work and once used, all navigation works fine.

I've never seen that happen. Could you do :report after you see it happen so I can take a look at the debug log?

Denharad wrote:

Qutebrowser has been my daily browser for months now, vimperator and vimium just don't cut it. It's great to see features like the whitelist getting integrated. I wish it weren't quite so ram hungry when I am on my low end devices but that seems to be a common 'web browser' problem.

I don't think I can do much about that, yeah - I'm guessing most of it is QtWebKit, and Python.

navi_se wrote:

You are actually right, and if I put up a reguarl framed website it works as you describe. It must be that the website I am using is relying on something different for building its frames.

Those are probably scrollable div's. Unfortunately the Qt API doesn't give me the possibility to handle those correctly.


apl wrote:

I have been a little unhappy with how qutebrowser scrolls by default on duckduckgo result pages. Instead of scrolling the page, qutebrowser seemed to be scrolling through the results, highlighting each one in turn. Because of your post I looked at ~/.config/keys.conf and noticed that "j" and "k" where bound to "scroll down" and "scroll up" while "Ctrl-D" and Ctrl-U" were bound to "scroll-page 0 0.5" and "scroll-page 0 0.5". The 0.5 represents the fraction of the page which is moved (half the page in this case) with each key stroke/repeat. I replaced "scroll down" for j with "scroll-page 0 0.06" and "scroll up" with "scroll-page 0 -0.06" and have been happy with the results.

There's also :scroll-px which scrolls a given amount of pixels. Actually j/k used to do that, then I switched it to emulating up/down keypresses because there are some pages where :scroll-px doesn't do anything at all, probably due to some QtWebKit bug.

I didn't think about how this changes behaviour for some pages handling cursor keypresses (like DuckDuckGo, or Imgur). I'm not sure yet what's better... But as said, you can easily rebind the keys.


brianb wrote:

But now I have a new question: Is there an index for the actual last (as in, final) tab of the tab list? In some programming languages, the last index is -1, but that doesn't work here.

For posterity: brianb has opened an issue for that in the meantime.


Trilby wrote:

I don't know this is hardwired by QtWebkit or not, but I've been realy annoyed by the use of only the "clipboard" selection instead of the primary selection when I try to Shift+Insert paste content into a textbox.

For contrast, all other browsers and many gui programs have a context menu option to "paste" text which as a de-facto standard comes from X's Clipboard selection.  But in all other browsers and gui programs I can also use Shift-Insert to paste from the primary selection.  In Qutebrowser, either of these methods pull only from the Clipboard selection.

I feel your pain, I wish it pasted the primary selection as well... But I don't get the "But in all other browsers and gui programs I can also use Shift-Insert to paste from the primary selection" part. In literally everything I know except terminals, Shift-Insert pastes clipboard: Any GTK/Qt app, Firefox, Chromium, ...

I really wish you were right, but unfortunately it's a de-facto standard to paste clipboard with shift-insert...

I worked around this for the command input in qutebrowser, but doing the same for the web view isn't trivial unfortunately, as there's no way to paste primary via the API. I've tried adding a workaround which swaps clipboard/primary, pastes and swaps them back, but that lead to very strage segfaults I couldn't explain, so I had to remove it again. sad


>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

Offline

#216 2015-12-13 13:52:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,682
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

The Compiler wrote:

But I don't get the "But in all other browsers and gui programs I can also use Shift-Insert to paste from the primary selection" part. In literally everything I know except terminals, Shift-Insert pastes clipboard: Any GTK/Qt app, Firefox, Chromium, ...

Thanks for your response, but my experience is as I describe.  Qutebrowser is the first qt program I've really used.  And I never used 'gnome' programs, but my other gtk programs, including the current firefox from the repos uses the primary selection for shift-ins.  I guess I've been lucky.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#217 2015-12-14 01:12:00

Ambrevar
Member
Registered: 2011-08-14
Posts: 212
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

A few weeks ago the IMDb video player stopped working for me. Adding 'Chrome/47.0.2526.80' to the user-agent string fixed the issue. Is it just me or is it impossible to browse the web without an over-up-to-date browser?

Offline

#218 2016-01-03 14:55:28

navi_se
Member
Registered: 2015-07-06
Posts: 135

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Was wondering, I have this perl-script (taken somewhere in this forum I believe)

sub on_sel_grab {
    my $query = $_[0]->selection;
    open (my $pipe,'| /usr/bin/xclip -in -selection clipboard') or die;
    print $pipe $query;
    close $pipe;
}

which automatically pastes anything I select on urxvt to clipboard.

I am sure there is a way to alter it minimally and make it perform the very same thing as a user script in qutebrowser, and I believe it would be very convenient since we are pasting stuff from websites constantly.

Unfortunately, I am not proficient either with perl or userscripts, is there any hero? big_smile

Offline

#219 2016-01-03 16:01:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,682
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

navi_se, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but a userscript to do the same thing would be the following:

#!/bin/sh
echo $QUTE_SELECTED_TEXT | xsel -b

I've used xsel, as I am unfamiliar with xclip, but you could replace it as desired.

But I don't think this will do what you really want as you'd need to execute this user script - user scripts cannot (as far as I know or can find in the documentation) be bound to events the way that urxvt one is.

More importantly, though, anything you select in qutebrowser will already be placed in the X11 primary selection.  So if you want it on the "clipboard" just run a clipboard manager.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#220 2016-01-05 10:05:20

navi_se
Member
Registered: 2015-07-06
Posts: 135

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

I was wondering if there is a way to bound events to userscripts and therefore copy to clipboard automatically when selecting in qute. The clipboard manager suggestion is probably the easiest work around.

Offline

#221 2016-01-05 10:06:53

navi_se
Member
Registered: 2015-07-06
Posts: 135

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Trilby wrote:

More importantly, though, anything you select in qutebrowser will already be placed in the X11 primary selection.  So if you want it on the "clipboard" just run a clipboard manager.

Is this true always, or only of qute?

EDIT: Sorry, there seems to be no way to delete a post. I will self-answer this and then stop OT stuff. The answer is yes, and everything from primary selection can be pasted (at least in xmonad) by a middle click of the mouse, which also work in URVXT terminal.

Last edited by navi_se (2016-01-05 10:18:33)

Offline

#222 2016-01-05 12:27:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 24,682
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

navi_se wrote:

Is this true always, or only of qute?

I don't like the word "always" - as there probably are some very very rare exceptions.  But this is a behavior that is documented in the ICCCM for all X11 programs.

See my related question earlier in the thread.


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#223 2016-01-05 13:01:38

respiranto
Member
Registered: 2015-05-15
Posts: 415
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Trilby wrote:
navi_se wrote:

Is this true always, or only of qute?

I don't like the word "always" - as there probably are some very very rare exceptions.  But this is a behavior that is documented in the ICCCM for all X11 programs.

Exactly, as an example, llpp does not provide this functionality without the optional dependency xsel installed.

Offline

#224 2016-01-05 13:11:04

navi_se
Member
Registered: 2015-07-06
Posts: 135

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

respiranto wrote:
Trilby wrote:
navi_se wrote:

Is this true always, or only of qute?

I don't like the word "always" - as there probably are some very very rare exceptions.  But this is a behavior that is documented in the ICCCM for all X11 programs.

Exactly, as an example, llpp does not provide this functionality without the optional dependency xsel installed.

Point taken. Also llpp taken. big_smile I just did

 o aw llpp 
 o aur llpp 

qutebrowser is awesome.

Offline

#225 2016-01-16 08:55:57

Ambrevar
Member
Registered: 2011-08-14
Posts: 212
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

qutebrowser in now in [community]! smile

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB