You are not logged in.

#26 2006-02-27 18:40:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: AUR and community repo is great.

And a better interface for aur retreival, something that allows easier automation. Like an xml-rpc, or a simple soap interface for package retreival/queries.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#27 2006-02-27 19:13:49

arooaroo
Website

cactus wrote:

And a better interface for aur retreival, something that allows easier automation. Like an xml-rpc, or a simple soap interface for package retreival/queries.

Stop steeling my suggestions, boy-o! wink

@Dusty, yeah - I've acknowledged that aurbuild is a decent tool (admittedly, it threw exceptions when I tried it a month or so back). What I was recommending was that aurbuild - or something like - becoming an official package - perhaps even part of the ABS package.

Secondly, aurbuild, like any other tool has to parse html to get that info. Eww! It's time for a change!

#28 2006-02-27 20:34:27

WillySilly

Neotuli was working on hashing out an xmlrpc interface back in December, I don't know what happened to it.

#29 2006-02-27 21:06:29

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

arooaroo wrote:

eat it spanky!
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=13070

mauhahahaa

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#30 2006-02-27 21:21:42

arooaroo
Website

cactus wrote:
arooaroo wrote:

eat it spanky!
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=13070

mauhahahaa

Hot dang! I've been well and truly thrashed.

... er, yeah, so you must have saw my comments, hopped into a time machine and went back in time and wrote that post, just to make yourself look cool. wink

#31 2006-02-27 21:22:56

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'm rooting for cactus!!! Anybody taking wagers?

smile

Dusty

#32 2006-02-27 21:38:36

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

heh. smile
you guys are great.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#33 2006-02-27 21:43:30

arooaroo
Website

Dusty wrote:

I'm rooting for cactus!!! Anybody taking wagers?

smile

Dusty

Just wait until he uses his time machine to make you look foolish, Dusty - you won't be rooting for him then. (That's what's under his big hat, y'know!)

lol

#34 2006-02-27 22:08:42

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

cactus would never attempt to make me look foolish. He knows I can handle that task by myself.

Dusty

#35 2006-02-27 22:41:33

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

</offtopic>

I have some very preliminary looking code on the next generation AUR. Yes, it will have an xmlrpc interface, and yes, that means you can write whatever the hell kind of client you want. I'll be writing a simple CLI client to do just what you described, but if you dont like mine, you can damned well write your own.
smile Heck, write it in lisp with a GL 3d interface for all I care, the interface will be quite easy to use.

PS: just because I mentioned it doesn't mean it'll be done tomorrow, or next week, or next month. Patience is a virtue.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#36 2006-02-27 22:46:42

arooaroo
Website

Neotuli, that's great news.

We are patient. I'm happy just knowing that it's in progress.

#37 2006-02-27 23:08:51

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Let me know if you want any help neotuli. I have been known to sling some code around in my day..

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#38 2006-02-28 00:27:44

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Code slinger...

#39 2006-02-28 06:06:42

iphitus
Forum Fellow

neotuli wrote:

</offtopic>
PS: just because I mentioned it doesn't mean it'll be done tomorrow, or next week, or next month. Patience is a virtue.

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

loop

#40 2006-02-28 13:12:45

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

while ( !THERE)
     slap( &iphitus );

#41 2006-02-28 14:58:06

Moo-Crumpus

Back to topic, now that the ones that should have been slapped heve been.

I dislike that I will try pacman -Ss <name>, see it isn't an package available for pacman. search aur then, find the package, see it depends on other packages that may be part of community or official repos, or the aur. For my taste, that's somehow confusing, and I am easily to be confused.
I would not mix aur with community or official repos. My desire was, if pacman and aurbuild-like-tools could work a bit more hand in hand. I want to do something like ask pacman, and if it doesn't find a package, the question is forwarded to aurbild-like-tools. If a package is found in aur, user can check pkgbuild or build it then. Wether dependencies are to be satisfied through pacman or aurbuild-like-tool, each of them should be used if necessary.
This is how I would like it to be, you may have a different taste, and I can't code at all.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#42 2006-02-28 17:07:49

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

ITs a reasonable design... shoudn't be too hard to write a bash or python script to do it. Might be a good introduction to coding for ya Moo. ;-)

#43 2006-02-28 18:00:25

pikass

Aur is the best thing since sophisticated package management was invented and i like it as it is, because when it would become more easy i would may stop checking PKGBUILDs, which are not flagged by a TU and such (yes i am lazy  :oops: ) (for this reason i dont use aurbuild)
Nevertheless to include even unsupported in pacman -Ss is a good idea.

#44 2006-06-03 14:33:37

Cotton

Snowman wrote:

I also agree with Dusty.

codemac wrote:

If you use a package, and think it was installed correctly, vote for it.

I would like to point out that voting isn't related to the package quality: it's related to whether you would like to have the package in the community repo.  If there's problem with the package, post a comment in AUR but you should still vote for it if you want it to go in community.  If the package gets enough votes, it will be noticed by a TU and and if he decide to adopt it, he will fix/improve the package before putting it in community.

What exactly is the real criteria for getting a package into community?  I'm still trying to figure out how stegdetect & steghide are there with only 3 or 4 votes, yet other packages with votes in double figures remain in unsupported.

#45 2006-06-03 15:32:38

WillySilly

stegdetect and the rest in that group where moved down to community from extra

#46 2006-06-03 18:31:40

tomk
Forum Fellow

Cotton wrote:

What exactly is the real criteria for getting a package into community?

A package will get promoted to community when a TU decides to promote it. In practice, we try to focus on the popular ones as indicated by votes, and the guideline number of votes is 25. It's not a strict rule, but it makes sense given the AUR's growth rate.

#47 2006-06-09 22:54:30

idjut

Discovering AUR I find that Arch is everything I wanted from Linux. My experience is a bit limited, but I found several points with the others I tried I didn't like. Here I'm learning things every day instead of banging my head against the wall like I did with Mandriva.

Moo-Crumpus wrote:

My desire was, if pacman and aurbuild-like-tools could work a bit more hand in hand. I want to do something like ask pacman, and if it doesn't find a package, the question is forwarded to aurbild-like-tools. If a package is found in aur, user can check pkgbuild or build it then. Wether dependencies are to be satisfied through pacman or aurbuild-like-tool, each of them should be used if necessary.

This is also my perspective.

Linux user #403491

"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect." - E. A. Poe from Eleonora

#48 2006-07-21 15:39:39

vipernicus
Website

Theoretically, couldn't you use srcpac to handle AUR like pacman handles ABS?

#49 2006-07-21 17:16:13

wain
Website

Moo-Crumpus wrote:

My desire was, if pacman and aurbuild-like-tools could work a bit more hand in hand. I want to do something like ask pacman, and if it doesn't find a package, the question is forwarded to aurbild-like-tools. If a package is found in aur, user can check pkgbuild or build it then. Wether dependencies are to be satisfied through pacman or aurbuild-like-tool, each of them should be used if necessary.

This is the goal of yaourt

#50 2006-07-21 19:56:33

Titus
Website

AUR is genius idea that i have ever met, with AUR  we can join improvement of Arch Linux

In a world without walls,who need windows?

Board footer