You are not logged in.

#26 2015-08-23 19:58:30

Zucca

Re: Suspend and Poweroff non exclusive??

A small (propably non-relevant) error I get from time to time is this:

systemd-logind[518]: Power key pressed.
systemd-logind[518]: Requested operation not supported, ignoring.

This usually happens only after my uptime has reached about two weeks. 13d 8h at the moment when this happened. Oh. And if ANYONE has ANY clues how to dig up what systemd-logind actually meant by "Requested operation", please tell me. And why that oparation is no longer supported. O.o (Theese types of error messages should be illegal.)
Basically I can't get my PC to suspend anymore. There was one expectation, and I don't know for sure but I think I did

swapoff -a && swapon -a

...to make it suspend (since I had several programs open and that time I _really_ needed suspend).
Anyway. If I try to suspend it again the results are somewhat similar to what you have guys: instant poweroff after wakeup. So at this point if I need to suspend I just surrender and poweroff my PC for safety's sake.

K.i.s.s. <3

#27 2015-08-24 08:01:27

dice

The action done by systemd-logind when the power button is pressed is defined in /etc/systemd/logind.conf

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#28 2015-08-29 16:32:54

hungerfish

So a quick update.
I updated to the current verion (1:1.14.2-2) of lightdm and re-enabled it a few days ago. It seemed to be working fine until today.
I'm back to having my input echoed to tty1 and subsequent logins failing. Below is the 'first' error from today's log:

Aug 29 09:43:35 BrilliantBert login[686]: pam_tally(login:auth): pam_get_uid; no such user

So, I'll be disabling lightdm again for the foreseeable future!
Also, I noticed that this was happening again after trying to suspend and nothing happening, so it does seem related at this point.
@Awebb, @dice, this doesn't seem to 'always' happen, but only on some boots, but I can say for sure that it 'only' happens when lightdm is in use...

EDIT:
After letting the system sit in 'limbo-mode' for the last couple of hours  (after my first suspend command which didn't work, I issued a second via MATE which was cancelled (in log) because of the 'already running' first suspend job, I then pulled up a terminal and issued 'systemctl suspend'...) I just returned to the machine to find it had done absolutely nothing.
The systemctl command hadn't even returned (apparently no timeout or such..) and the system was running full steam. I checked the logs, there was no mention of any failed command (except my second suspend see above).
I then 'systemctl reboot' and sure enough just before resetting the machine finally entered sleep. After waking it then immediately continued to reboot...
(I don't use swap/swapfile, so I couldn't check if toggling swap also triggers the suspend)

So to summarize: The 'not-entering-suspend'-behaviour only occurs for me when running lightdm, but it doesn't happen on every boot. A symptom seems to be the 'echoing to tty' observable in the log.
When this happens, I can only 'trigger' the suspend to actually complete by rebooting or powering down the machine. What ever the actual cause of the problem, I really don't understand why systemd/systemctl allows such behaviour, especially as its obviously 'aware' of the initial suspend command hence it interrupting subsequent calls to suspend at least when going through MATE-menu; directly invoking 'systemctl suspend' again didn't seem to have any effect, which is also weird in itself. I would like to dig further, but at this point need additional pointers!

Last edited by hungerfish (2015-08-30 07:18:46)

Beetles and bacteria are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival.

#29 2015-10-27 15:53:22

Zucca

*bump*

hungerfish: Any progress?
I'm a bit concerned as I too use LightDM.

K.i.s.s. <3

#30 2015-10-27 23:37:45

hungerfish

No, not really. I've basically stopped using lightdm and since have not experienced the same sort of behaviour. Suspending now works just fine as it should.
I'm not sure if this is really lightdm's fault, or just my setup, I still feel though that whatever the case, systemd should be able to catch this kind of misbehaviour.
Just check your logs if you're concerned about the tty echoing (potentially passwords!!) , or just drop lightdm like I did smile

Beetles and bacteria are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival.

#31 2015-11-05 11:23:55

Zucca

Well. Dropping LightDM had been on my mind before already. But which is to replace it?

<OFFTOPIC>
CDM would be my choice, but the lastest commit if from more than a year ago.
Has anyone forked CDM?
</OFFTOPIC>

K.i.s.s. <3

#32 2015-11-05 13:39:38

hungerfish

I just login to tty1 and have Xorg autostart there. Really simple, don't need more atm.

Board footer