You are not logged in.

#276 2019-01-23 04:56:35

tydynrain
Website

Re: aurutils - helper tools for the aur

To get around the permission issues I was having with the newer versions of aurutils, I added a chown command to the beginning of an alias, that would add the proper permissions of my repo just before running

aur sync -u

which worked fine until aurutils was updated to the latest version (2.2.0-1). Now when I run the above command with or without changing permissions, I get

mkdir: cannot create directory '/.cache/aurutils': Permission denied

The directory that it's trying to create already exists, and the permissions are correct (for my user).

It seems with recent updates the functionality (at least how I've been using it with my repo) of aurutils keeps breaking.

EDIT: When I run

sudo aur sync -u

it worked (there were no packages to update). However, when I remove the sudo I get the above error once again, so it seems to be trying to create the directory each time I try to update my repo.

Last edited by tydynrain (2019-01-23 05:06:36)

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux forever!

#277 2019-01-23 10:25:47

mountaineerbr

That is weird

'/.cache/aurutils' 

Is not this folder supposed to be under your user folder?

#278 2019-01-23 18:18:15

tydynrain
Website

mountaineerbr wrote:

That is weird

'/.cache/aurutils' 

Is not this folder supposed to be under your user folder?

It is under my user folder, that's why the permission issue is so bizarre. That and the fact that it seems to be trying to recreate the directory each time I update my repo. Weirdness all around.

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.

#279 2019-01-23 18:47:07

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Why is your home directory '/' and not e.g. '/home/tydynrain'?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI X299 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC // Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 5x 1TB HDD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#280 2019-01-23 18:50:47

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

What are your $XDG_CACHE_HOME and $HOME variables? Unless $HOME equals to '/', which is very unlikely, '/.cache/aurutils' is not under your "user folder".

#281 2019-01-24 03:21:51

tydynrain
Website

@WorMzy and @lahwaacz, I just noticed that it is trying to create the directory under /. This is very confusing, as my home directory IS set to /home/tydynrain (with .cache and .config directories), and the previous versions of aurutils (and all other programs of which I'm aware) correctly identifies and adds its directory there. It is only this latest version that seems to want to create it under root.

Last edited by tydynrain (2019-01-24 03:32:02)

#282 2019-01-24 07:40:50

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

What is your $XDG_CACHE_HOME variable?

#283 2019-01-25 02:23:26

tydynrain
Website

lahwaacz wrote:

This is likely going to sound stupid, but what is the quickest way to determine that? I've never needed to do that yet, and after some web searches I was not able to find any particular method for finding this information.

The one command that came to my mind was

grep | $XDG_CACHE_HOME

which gives the output

bash: /.cache: Is a directory

which is in root. As to how or why it is set to root, I have no clue. I didn't intentionally do anything to change it from its default location. I have a similar setup on 3 separate Arch installs, so I'll have to check if this issue exists in the other two (the permission issue I mentioned earlier does exist across all 3).

#284 2019-01-25 03:10:15

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler

tydynrain wrote:
lahwaacz wrote:

This is likely going to sound stupid, but what is the quickest way to determine that? I've never needed to do that yet, and after some web searches I was not able to find any particular method for finding this information.

The one command that came to my mind was

grep | $XDG_CACHE_HOME

which gives the output

You're taking the output of the grep command with no options:

Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERNS [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

And piping it as input to the command:

$XDG_CACHE_HOME

This does not work in the first place as grep emits its error to stderr, not stdout.
The second problem is that you tried to execute the contents of the variable rather than, say, `echo` it.

That being said, the error message tells us the contents:

bash refused to execute the command "/.cache" because it wasn't a valid command. Along the way this shows that the variable contents are this directory name, and also that is completely broken.

Check your bashrc or similar to find out why it is set that way.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer