You are not logged in.

#51 2006-05-25 21:36:07

rezza

Re: archlinux.org redesign ideas

Well my designs are there... if somebody official wants me to do anything with them then great - I'll be happy to work with them, but it seems that nobody official gives a shit.

#52 2006-05-25 23:30:55

Sigi

Well I'm nobody official, but it would be a pitty to let this ideas die.  :!:

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#53 2006-05-26 16:46:50

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

rezza wrote:

Well my designs are there... if somebody official wants me to do anything with them then great - I'll be happy to work with them, but it seems that nobody official gives a shit.

Erm, do you have anything other than mock-ups?

#54 2006-05-26 18:17:10

copernikus

dtw wrote:
rezza wrote:

I think another issue is that the backend of the archlinux site needs to be rewritten as well. I know Judd has said the php was thrown together and a cleaner implementation would be nice.

As for the css of the site, once a nice html layout is finalized, generating css to make the page look nice shouldn't be a big issue.

I'd be willing to help out with the php, but I think a little more direction will be needed as to what people are looking for.

-Fran

#55 2006-05-26 18:20:01

rezza

dtw wrote:
rezza wrote:

All I have is the design mockups, because I have zero idea of what is wanted, in terms of either backend or functionality or anything else. Cactus said he knows what is needed at the moment and I'll be in touch with him at the start of next week to see if it's viable. I ain't doing shit on my birthday weekend though tongue

#56 2006-05-26 19:40:11

Pierre
Developer
Website

Currently I am doing some fun with rezzas desgin-idea. Perhaps we could work together and finally get *one* design and parts of the backend like package-browser on every community-site. My test-area is http://archlinux.laber-land.de (not a mockup, it`s a real site :-))

#57 2006-05-26 20:42:45

FUBAR
Website

Pierre wrote:

Currently I am doing some fun with rezzas desgin-idea. Perhaps we could work together and finally get *one* design and parts of the backend like package-browser on every community-site. My test-area is http://archlinux.laber-land.de (not a mockup, it`s a real site :-))

Rezza, he took yer juuuuuurb!!!

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#58 2006-05-26 21:13:37

rezza

FUBAR wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Rezza, he took yer juuuuuurb!!!

He spoke to me about it first, but to be honest - my designs are public domain anyway. Use them for anything you like.

#59 2006-05-27 04:27:13

ScriptDevil

layout 3 in grey/beige ought to do the trick
but it can have the news to the left like bbc

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#60 2006-05-27 15:13:29

Pierre
Developer
Website

Does anybody know where to get archlinux.org sourcecode? I am interested in the package-browser. Perhaps I will implement one on my own. But I wonder if there are other ways than parsing the abs-tree to get all information.

#61 2006-05-28 00:42:27

iphitus
Forum Fellow

i say ditch this thread. who cares what it looks like if there's nobody willing to implement it. this idea has been raised a few times this year, and I have not seen one single even attempt at an implementation or even a complete graphic design. there's more to arch's web presence than the homepage.

having a new homepage is all fine and dandy, but it wasnt the purpose of this when it was raised early this year, and isnt going to happen unless someone implements something.

I'm not saying it shouldnt be done, I'm saying you should stop wasting your time working on a design for one page that isnt going to be implemented, unless someone steps up and starts working on the next step, implementing a working copy locally on their own computer, and not just for the homepage.

James

#62 2006-05-28 01:04:50

twiistedkaos

The second design is much better!

#63 2006-05-30 11:13:07

Komodo

Am I the only one who thinks that a) the current homepage design is fine, and b) it's certainly far more aesthetically pleasing than those two redesigns (no offense rezza, personal opinion).

phrakture wrote:

*chirp chirp* *chirp chirp*

/me feeds phrakture seed.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#64 2006-05-31 09:29:17

profoX
Website

I could help too. I am good at designing simple, yet pretty pages, and improving ease of use and functionality.

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom.
But sharing data is the first step toward community.

#65 2006-05-31 17:58:28

profoX
Website

Yes. I suggest a simple templating system so you can change the layout somewhat by making it point to different directories (they will represent different themes) because the directories will have different stylesheets, images and color settings. Something like that. So it can be changed easily later on.

I am pretty good at designing if I take the time. That's the only reason I still have winxp running on my older laptop. I use photoshop to create my interface layouts.

When you finisht some php code (I assume you will use that?), I could also hack into it to give it more functionality. Extending it to make it more usable. I care alot about usability and ease of use.

Exams are coming up next week though sad

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom.
But sharing data is the first step toward community.

#66 2006-05-31 19:47:24

Gullible Jones

Redesign, what redesign? Looks fine like it is. :?

#67 2006-06-01 01:13:00

Komodo

Gullible Jones wrote:

Redesign, what redesign? Looks fine like it is. :?

I agree.

I suspect half the reason this is such a popular topic is that many, many archers out there would like to redesign the site themselves because it would be a very visible contribution to the community, and to be frank, a very easy one to do!

If it's true that the PHP & MySQL for the mother site is poorly implemented, then we should have a vote on who gets to implement a better constructed version. We should also, if any aesthetics are altered, vote on how they should change; it would be unfair to allow an individual to decide what the site should look like, though obviously examples of styles are necessary for voting.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#68 2006-06-01 01:32:30

russianpirate

sorry for not reading the whole thread.. but that second proposal look greattt wink

also aur.archlinux's rss feed should include updated pkgs not just new ones

Darkstar:
Athlon 64 3500+ (OC ~2.49ghz)
Leadtek GeForce 6800 128mb (unlocked/OC)
Rosewill Value DDR400 1GB
WDC SE 80GB
NEC 3550 DVDRW DL 16X

#69 2006-06-01 02:22:22

Komodo

suineg wrote:

If you have ever implemented a large scale website (such as arch's) you would know that it isn't very easy at all, quite the opposite, at least if you intend to make it any good.

I have; 3 in fact, but currently all are awaiting fanfare releases, and I'm unable to show 1 of them for 2 months, and the other 2 until the end of september. I didn't find them challenging to do in the slightest; writing an advanced user login system and CMS took about 10 hours - time consuming, but not difficult. I was able to modify the 'base' version of this for use within each site separately. The aesthetic design of each site was also very very simple to implement; the only catch is that if you've not decided on the layout already on paper, then playing around with things on-the-fly will generate an added time delay, as you're no doubt aware.

suineg wrote:

I frankly would not have volunteered if there were anyone else who stepped up to do it, if I wanted people to know I contribute, I would be a package maintainer, or contribute code, so that I can have the "developer" tag by my name big_smile

Hehe, understandable; my point is that web design and PHP is a far more common programming practice, and as I said, I 'suspect' what I stated to be true, but it is nothing more than that: a suspicion.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#70 2006-06-01 06:27:59

Komodo

suineg wrote:

I misunderstood. I also agree that it isn't hard per se, but it can be very time consuming, which is a difficulty in it's own way.

I guess you're right; such arduous programming tasks often produce a lot of bugs too, which can be frustrating to track down.

Still, coding is, as Dusty said long ago, the best pc game around big_smile

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#71 2006-06-04 19:10:44

idjut

Looks like you got enough votes for design #2, but I give you one more.

Dr. Strangelove is from 64 and not 60 btw smile

Linux user #403491

"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect." - E. A. Poe from Eleonora

Board footer