You are not logged in.

#26 2016-07-29 15:47:33

FragginLucky

Re: New install wifi issues

Ok when I go to AUR it says I need the "base-devel" installed. When I run the command #pacman -S --needed base-devel as stated, get warnings that database files for 'core', 'extra',and 'community' does not exist along with the error "target not found: base-devel. I keep running into the wall that I need internet to update or install anything, yet I can't get my wifi setup and have no ethernet connection. I am stuck in a paradox.

#27 2016-07-29 18:00:10

loqs

Would suggest creating a temporary arch install on the Ubuntu system which gas functional internet access.
This should not impact the Ubuntu system outside the directory that arch is installed into.  Install_from_existing_Linux#From_a_host_running_another_Linux_distribution
Follow the instructions from there should allow you to install base + base devel and build b43-firmware.
If you want to build broadcom-wl when you reach the stage of selecting a mirror use the arch linux archive Arch_Linux_Archive#How_to_restore_all_packages_to_a_specific_date with the date matching the date of the live media you are using for the install so that all packages ( most importantly linux and linux-jeaders ) will match the packages found on live media.

#28 2016-07-29 18:01:43

FragginLucky

Problem solved gentleman. I installed another distribution that recognized the broadcom. Downloaded the required updates, mounted the sda1 from the Archiso, updated the driver and I am currently in the process of downloading and installing Arch as I type this. Thanks for the support guys!

#29 2016-07-29 20:22:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Make sure you install base-devel and download the aur packages again into the new system at this stage too - that what you can get the network up again after you reboot into the newly installed system.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#30 2016-07-30 15:00:44

FragginLucky

Trilby I wish I would have seen your last post before I finished the install. Your guru prediction was correct, I had to go through the process of updating the b43 drivers once again after the install. Oh well, it's a good learning experience. Of topic, can I change the host name by simply doing #echo name > /etc/hostname again then edit /etc/hosts? Or is it too late to change, or does the old name need to be deleted somehow? Since it is up and running I am reluctant to change anything...lol. Thanks for the help Trilby.

Board footer