You are not logged in.

#26 2006-05-22 09:59:10

user

Re: OSS Arrogance

phrakture wrote:
user wrote:

IMHO, developer must be arrogant.

So why not OSS-developer?

Really? Cool! I'll make sure to close all your bug reports saying "No, not a bug - you're wrong and I'm right!"
I MUST be arrogant, right?

Then i'll make patch for the bug, if it really bug and crash something.

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#27 2006-05-22 15:36:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

user wrote:

Then i'll make patch for the bug, if it really bug and crash something.

See, that's what you're missing here.  The developer of urxvt has ignored a patch provided, saying it's "stupid" - even on both the urxvt and wmii mailing lists, both of which I subscribe to, he has said he will not apply the patch.  It is actually clear that urxvt does not follow ICCCM convetions (namely: do not draw on a window you did not create).

So, you have already said arrogances is needed.  Provide a patch, I'll just say "you're dumb, it's not a bug".

Please read the link in the original post.  Otherwise, you're just idly talking.

#28 2006-05-22 15:58:08

Chris|MD

If he never patches it we just shouldnt use it.
Or make a fork...

#29 2006-05-22 17:20:15

copernikus

unfortunately this arrogance of open source is extending into the business world as well.

I work for a university where one of the employees wrote a pretty basic mail system for students using cyrus [http://rhems.sourceforge.net/] and it extended to become the main email solution for six years which includes employees as well. However, as you can see in the project page, it was built using Red Hat 7.2, and only recently been upgrade to Red Hat 8. Now this employee has become a manager and this past year refused to upgrade it to RHEL 3. The system was built for 5000 users, today the number of accounts is well over 19000 and only has one administrator.

Open source developers often get too full of themselves to realize that their software has become a product for so many users, and with this current: "it works for me, must be a problem on your end" attitude, open source suffers as a whole.

-Fran

#30 2006-06-13 01:14:01

jerome

phrakture wrote:

I saw this come through the wmii mailing list:
http://www.wmii.de/urxvt.bug

And it ruffles my tail feathers.  This is not the only instance I've seen of OSS developers being arrogant with their works. "Mine works, yours must be wrong".

Grrr...

It's a long read, but the bottom makes up for it.  For the record, "garbeam" is the main developer for WMII, and "schmorp" is the main developer for rxvt-unicode.

wow! how unpleasant!

half an hour of frantic typing doesn't really seem a very good way of reporting a complicated and obsure bug- schmorp could maybe forgiven for presuming initially that he was dealing with someone who didn't quite know what he was talking about (although clearly he did) and being impatient- does it happen often that people really waste developer's time with false bugs?  If so, then seeming arrogant is like a form of self defense?

It's a shame that the final solution has been disregarded- especially when schmorp could have just said "hang on, I'm not sure what you're driving at, could you just write it all down in an email?" and needn't have lost any face.

In my [limited] experience, which is mostly passively reading forums (etc) the OSS community doesn't seem so arrogant, instead generally approachable and certainly involved with their users. 

with my first post, please receive the mandatory "fantastic distribution!" smile

#31 2006-06-13 02:56:29

user

jerome wrote:

In my [limited] experience, which is mostly passively reading forums (etc) the OSS community doesn't seem so arrogant,

me too, they are angel.
19_playingtheangel.jpg

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#32 2006-06-13 12:16:42

shining
Pacman Developer

iirc, there was a problem between the urxvt author and the previous debian package maintainer of urxvt. And this maintainer orphaned his package because of urxvt author's arrogance.
Though, without providing any details, this is pointless. I've been searching for the last 30 min informations about this, but failed to find any.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#33 2006-06-15 18:18:56

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

zealotry about the state of zealotry!! This is priceless!!

Board footer