You are not logged in.

#26 2016-09-22 03:03:12

WeeDram

Re: [Solved] Anyone with a functioning HP LaserJet P1102w?

Yes I can see that, sort of. Yet I was able to print prior to about a month ago, maybe less, and I am pretty sure that I did not use hp-makeuri. I'll give it a try.

Here is an odd thing. hplip is a bundle of files and, I guess, commands or small programs that do various things. If you go to the arch hplip 3.16.8-2 File List, you can see quite a list of them. One is 'hp-probe' which is descibed on the man pages as "Discover HPLIP supported USB, parallel, and network attached printers." Figuring I had nothing to lose, I tried hp-probe on the command line. It gives you the choice of usb, net, or parallel port so I went with net. I was surprised to see that it seemed to have discovered my printer and was pretty excited about that. However, at that point in time I had to send off an email to someone so I did and then tried the command about an hour later and got

[ross@Lenovo3Part ~]$ hp-probe

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.16.8)
Printer Discovery Utility ver. 4.1

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

Num       Connection  Description                                               
            Type                                                                  
  --------  ----------  ----------------------------------------------------------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)                                
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)
  2         par         Parallel Port (LPT:)                                      

Enter number 0...2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

--------------------
| DEVICE DISCOVERY |
--------------------

Probing network for printers. Please wait, this will take approx. 10 seconds...

warning: No devices found on the 'net' bus. If this isn't the result you are expecting,
warning: check your network connections and make sure your internet
warning: firewall software is disabled.

Done.

Can't understand this at all! Feel a lot of empathy for those people who think they have seen a UFO. (Are you sure it wasn't your imagination? How much had you had to drink before this happened... etc.)

#27 2016-09-28 00:42:55

WeeDram

I have a functioning printer now. After a lot futzing around, I discovered that if I installed python-pyqt5 and used the hplip gui, rather than the command line (hp-setup), I could successfully install my HP Laserjet p1102w. When I tried the hplip command line (hp-setup) or cups, I always ended up with a "Hewlett-Packard_HP_Laserjet_Professonal_P1102w", which did not work but when I went with the gui, I ended up with "HP_Laserjet_Professional_P1102w". Notice the difference. Perhaps these two labels refer to different drivers. I don't know but >I< didn't type the names in. They were discovered by cups or hp-setup or hplip gui depending on what I used. The gui approach discovered the printer and installed it without asking me make any choices.

At one point, I had both of these labels showing up in cups and when I tried the former one, I got the usually 'filter failed' error but when I 'moved' the job to the other printer, I could print the document.

Another point of information is that I was experimenting on two different installations of Arch (both on the same laptop). On one installation, I had cups, hplip, hplip-plugin (from Aur) & python-pyqt5 while on the other cups, hplip & python-pyqt5 but not hplip-plugin (from Aur). I managed to get the printer working on both. It appears that hplip-plugin from Aur is not essential to getting things working.

I also ran into permission problems which I worked out.

I hope what I've presented here will help somebody who reads this thread in future (me especially, because I am not optimistic that this is a solution that will continue to work).
Regards,
Ross

#28 2016-09-28 03:06:24

cfr

For what it is worth, I've had an easier time configuring printers through CUPS web interface than using any of the utilities provided by HP. However, I'm not sure if this might not depend on the kinds of printers you tend to need to configure. I assume I could also do this by editing the CUPS configuration on the command line if I wished, but printing is always sufficiently touch-and-go that I prefer to stick to something familiar, I suppose.

(Touch-and-go regardless of OS, that is. I don't mean touch-and-go on Linux especially. Actually, seems generally easier than on Windows unless the printer has a paperweight classification on openprinting.org.)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#29 2016-11-19 19:35:35

WeeDram

Unfortunately for me, my HP LaserJet P1102w printer needs a plugin that is provided by hplip or the hplip-plugin from AUR. Worse, I seem to have varying results with either of those two sources. For sure, though, CUPS by itself does not work for this particular printer. I'm only bringing this up because once again a full update has resulted in the printer not working. Fortunately, I have an installation of Arch where my printer does work and by altering the /etc/pacman.conf to ignore upgrading of cups, hplip & hplip-plugin it appears I can keep the printer going. Not sure if I need to include cups but I'll be checking this later.

#30 2016-11-19 20:53:45

seth

hplip and hplip-plugin *must* be on the exact same versions - you can also use it over zjstream, see http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ (which I do since i'm running a 1102(no w) on a routers USB port)

#31 2016-11-20 06:19:58

WeeDram

Yes, the exact same versions. Right now, hplip is version 3.16.10-2 and hplip-plugin is 3.16.10-1 so if you upgrade, you lose printing capabilities. At least, that's what has happened to me several times.

Board footer