You are not logged in.

#51 2017-05-03 17:51:32

Texbrew
Member
From: The Lone Star State
Registered: 2016-02-09
Posts: 567

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Trilby wrote:
Texbrew wrote:

All of my computer gear is obsolete to some degree.

According to the kid in the office next door, I'm also obselete to some degree.

Prob'ly because you don't constantly poke your smart phone to keep up with social media. Ignore the brat.

Offline

#52 2017-05-03 20:09:24

chaonaut
Member
From: Kyiv, Ukraine
Registered: 2014-02-05
Posts: 382

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

btw, i happily use to use used laptops too.
this allows me to buy  a couple of extra gears for my home studio.


— love is the law, love under wheel, — said aleister crowley and typed in his terminal:
usermod -a -G wheel love

Offline

#53 2017-06-01 05:44:47

thatnewyorker
Member
From: Brooklyn
Registered: 2009-01-24
Posts: 77

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Nah, I use Antergos. It's slightly similar to Arch :^)


R.I.P In Pieces

Offline

#54 2017-06-12 19:32:16

Alchemek
Member
Registered: 2013-08-03
Posts: 4

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I use Arch regularly at home by dual booting with Windows 10. If Linux had more game support, I would surely just avoid having Windows 10 on my system entirely. At work, I use Windows 10 exclusively mostly because I can't imagine having many situations in which I could easily get away with staying booted into Arch for most of the day since a lot of programs I use are Windows specific programs; yet, I do wonder if I could get all of those programs working through Wine.

If I had it my way, though, Arch would certainly be my go-to OS for everything under the sun, so to speak. wink

Offline

#55 2017-06-13 16:40:58

Executor
Member
From: England
Registered: 2017-06-13
Posts: 20

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I'm using Arch Linux as my primary operating system with Microsoft Windows system and ReactOS in Oracle's Virtualbox.


i7 4790K 4.0GHz, ASUS B85-PRO GAMER, 8GB RAM, GTX 750 Ti, Arch x86_64

Offline

#56 2017-06-13 17:06:17

c00ter
Member
From: Alaskan in Washington State
Registered: 2014-08-28
Posts: 258

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Sure, I use Arch as my 'daily driver' and only operating system; why not?


UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Offline

#57 2017-06-13 20:49:56

okubax
Member
From: London
Registered: 2010-04-24
Posts: 202
Website

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Been using Arch as my daily driver for some years now, although I have a Win10 kvm/qemu guest on disk for those rare occasions.

Offline

#58 2017-06-14 01:12:44

mrunion
Member
From: Jonesborough, TN
Registered: 2007-01-26
Posts: 1,937
Website

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Arch is my daily driver, and for my job I use Windows 10 in VirtualBox so I can join the domain and have access to their things.


Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Offline

#59 2017-06-24 23:37:24

gerdesj
Member
Registered: 2016-04-17
Posts: 12

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Yes and I am now working on making it the default workstation choice for my company (IT support org).  Then I will work on making it a genuine alt. to Windows for my customers.

Many moons ago I spent about four years persuading a certain large org to use DHCP properly instead of a weird home grown VAX based database of IPs.  The solution at the time involved a three node cluster of Novell 5.0 systems eventually - way over the top but that is what they wanted to see.  Job done but a bit crap.  Each host had a fibre NIC with thirty VLANs because "networks" (department) couldn't be arsed to do bootp/dhcp-forwarding (probably didn't know how).

That was just one battle I won.

I'm very patient, very, very patient.

Offline

#60 2017-06-25 01:16:55

Hydrolous
Member
Registered: 2017-06-25
Posts: 2

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

My industry is hydrogeology and I use Arch as my main work computer. I do struggle at times because management uses windows while us groundwater modellers all use some flavour of linux. Once I finish/finalise my report and send it for review, I open a windows VM with Office, polish it up and send it off. Any edits are done in windows.

LibreOffice still messes up my formatting.

Offline

#61 2017-06-25 14:50:25

apastuszak
Member
Registered: 2014-10-18
Posts: 129

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Hydrolous wrote:

My industry is hydrogeology and I use Arch as my main work computer. I do struggle at times because management uses windows while us groundwater modellers all use some flavour of linux. Once I finish/finalise my report and send it for review, I open a windows VM with Office, polish it up and send it off. Any edits are done in windows.

LibreOffice still messes up my formatting.

You need to pitch a corporate wiki for documentation.  Proper version control and editing.  No more sending stuff via email, and PDF export if you need to send someone a copy.

At home, I use Arch as my primary OS on my laptop.  My home server is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, though when 1804 rolls around, I may choose to use Arch for it instead.

At work, I am forced to use Windows, with a few servers being RHEL 6.

Offline

#62 2017-06-26 09:55:42

ugjka
Member
From: Latvia
Registered: 2014-04-01
Posts: 1,169

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Some time ago some friend complained that an update to his ubuntu install wiped his shell customizations. That reminded me why I love arch, the fact that it doesn't attempt to customize anything for you.


Github | Soundcloud

"Once you hit 10 nested VMs you're basically brad pitt with women who matter" ~ echoline

Offline

#63 2017-06-26 10:26:30

seiichiro0185
Member
From: Leipzig/Germany
Registered: 2009-04-09
Posts: 226
Website

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I also use Arch as my daily driver on my Macbook at work (I'm a Linux Sysadmin, so my Tools are mainly a shell/SSH and a Webbrowser (for vSphere, Monitoring Dashboards and Ticket Tool)) and at Home on my Laptop, vServer, Homeserver VMs and Raspberry PIs


My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

Offline

#64 2017-06-26 10:59:39

dockland
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2015-06-06
Posts: 804

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Si si, using Arch Linux (and Gentoo Linux) as my daily driver(s)
I do have a Windows 10 NUC laying around, using it when working from home, to get the seamless Office 365 administration/Teams/Skype for business and so on manageable)


I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

Offline

#65 2017-07-06 00:03:52

meritocracy
Member
Registered: 2017-07-05
Posts: 1

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Yes, it's my only OS; I'd describe myself as an artist and game developer.  I used to use Windows primarily, about one or two months ago, but have been very happy with Arch ever since.  I replaced Photoshop/Clip Studio Paint with Krita for graphics, FL Studio/Ableton with LMMS for music creation, Unity3D/UE4 with Godot for game development, still use Steam for games, replaced OneNote with Zim for note taking, replaced Dropbox with Syncthing for file syncing (though I don't think I had to, I just don't trust Dropbox whatsoever with my data.)  KeePassX 2 replaced LastPass, though again it was more of a security issue.  Firefox is still great, I use that with uBlock and some of EFF's plugins.  Blender's really good too, works perfect; make your characters and animations in there for game dev.  Haven't had any problems with Dolpin emulator, and I think PCSX2 works fine as well; I'm sure there's no shortage of emulation for Linux, unless we're talking current gen.  Among the most impressive things is that linux-lts automatically understands my PS4 controller and correctly maps with games; on Windows it's a pain to get the right drivers to make your controllers work, unless it's a 360 controller I guess though I've never tried.  FocusWriter works fine.  Minecraft works fine, even with over-the-top shaders.  VLC works fine.  qBittorrent works fine.  A lot of the software I was using before is still here.  If there's any reason why people favor Windows over Linux, it usually has very little to do with the OS itself, but the software availability, thus my focus on that.  If I don't have the software I need to do my work, I cannot use the OS, even if it's better in and of itself.  Fortunately that's improved tremendously over the past decade.

I'm hard pressed to think of anything I'm missing about Windows; I had to sacrifice some software that I got very much used to, but a lot of it works fine with Arch already.  If LMMS got on the level of FL Studio it'd be magnificent; right now it's the weakest link, and the only FOSS of its kind right now AFAIK; there are other Linux DAWs but they seem to focus more on audio recording, whereas I'm more interested in synthesizers; I suppose I could always learn MilkyTracker if I wanted pure synthesizer action.  At this point I prefer Godot to Unity due to design philosophy differences, but that's a huge rant in itself.  Krita has some annoying bugs but it's mostly on par with the software I was using before.  Zim doesn't have support for drawing whatsoever, but I didn't use that feature very often in OneNote anyhow.  Installing software in Arch is so much easier than it is on Windows, just a command in the terminal is all that's needed, don't have to look for a website, look for a download link, download something, and then open it and then go through the install wizard, and maybe there's some dependency missing, some .dll that didn't get included, so you gotta go find that too, and maybe the .dll is malicious...  That's the clearest benefit to me, both pacman and an AUR helper make the experience silky smooth, I'll have new software I want in mere seconds (assuming I'm not building from source.)  Also because it's all moderated and mostly open source, I don't really need to worry about viruses either, which is just another worry off my mind.  Though I suppose the same principle applies, if I install from unstrusted sources then I'm just asking for it.

I just think Arch is great.  If all my old software and games from Windows worked on Arch, I'd just have zero reason to use Windows; IMO Windows is worse overall: slower and less flexible, infinitely more expensive (can't beat 0$), constant expenses for upgrades (not including all the licenses I implicitly bought as a part of PC purchases which I subsequently lost the product keys to one way or another, leaving me SOL), spying and blackboxed so who knows how bad it actually gets underneath the surface--it's a raw deal, but as stated, software is what makes or breaks an OS, and that all depends on the software developers.  Strange to think that a company which makes so much produces something that doesn't drastically outperform--or even outperform a little--something that subsists on volunteer work and donations.

Offline

#66 2017-07-07 03:36:25

Texbrew
Member
From: The Lone Star State
Registered: 2016-02-09
Posts: 567

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

@meritocracy, well said. I'm not a heavy software user - no game design or graphics design. I'm a user of the basics - LibreOffice, Firefox, and a few others. I don't even use LibreOffice very often. Mostly, I just use a text editor for keeping notes and often pasting text into an email. Everything I understood of your post rings true. I well remember the security worries I had with that other unforgiving OS. FUD kept me hanging onto that one for a while, but it wasn't long before I ditched it forever.

Cheers!

tex

Offline

#67 2017-07-15 17:20:13

PrimeArgon
Member
From: Holsworthy, Devon
Registered: 2017-07-14
Posts: 15

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I've got Arch as my primary system for the desktop/laptop and Android for Smartphone/Tablet Devices.


Arch + GNOME
------
Please post back your results to help others.

Offline

#68 2017-07-17 23:03:21

MusicMaster
Member
Registered: 2016-10-31
Posts: 2

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I use Arch as my daily driver. At home, at work, best OS ever as far as i'm concerned. What can i say, i really love the KISS principle, the AUR community, this is the OS i really feel at home at. I know exactly what's installed, and everything just works..
I used to use Windows but got fed up with it, i reinstalled Windows so many times because someting got broken and i couldn't figure out WHAT, i really lost count. Not to mention i've paid for it a dozen of times... everytime i bought a new computer. The last one i got had Windows 10 on it preinstalled; what a miserable OS that is sad
The OS would not recognise certain USB devices, drivers for my perfectly good USB scanner were unavailable (a Canon LiDE 25) don't know whether to blame Microsoft or Canon for this), but thanks to (Arch) Linux i can use my devices without any problem.
Again what can i say.. This OS makes me feel like i'm really in charge of my own device, and that's worth really something. Even when i deliberately borked things up (like removing packages with dependencies with pacman - Rdd) i could still get it up & running again by booting up from the installer disk, arch-chroot and pacstrap /mnt/base. Wow!

Offline

#69 2017-07-22 22:50:28

Evoshe
Member
Registered: 2017-02-16
Posts: 3

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

meritocracy wrote:

I'm hard pressed to think of anything I'm missing about Windows; I had to sacrifice some software that I got very much used to, but a lot of it works fine with Arch already.  If LMMS got on the level of FL Studio it'd be magnificent; right now it's the weakest link, and the only FOSS of its kind right now AFAIK; there are other Linux DAWs but they seem to focus more on audio recording, whereas I'm more interested in synthesizers; I suppose I could always learn MilkyTracker if I wanted pure synthesizer action.  At this point I prefer Godot to Unity due to design philosophy differences, but that's a huge rant in itself.  Krita has some annoying bugs but it's mostly on par with the software I was using before.  Zim doesn't have support for drawing whatsoever, but I didn't use that feature very often in OneNote anyhow.  Installing software in Arch is so much easier than it is on Windows, just a command in the terminal is all that's needed, don't have to look for a website, look for a download link, download something, and then open it and then go through the install wizard, and maybe there's some dependency missing, some .dll that didn't get included, so you gotta go find that too, and maybe the .dll is malicious...  That's the clearest benefit to me, both pacman and an AUR helper make the experience silky smooth, I'll have new software I want in mere seconds (assuming I'm not building from source.)  Also because it's all moderated and mostly open source, I don't really need to worry about viruses either, which is just another worry off my mind.  Though I suppose the same principle applies, if I install from unstrusted sources then I'm just asking for it.

I just think Arch is great.  If all my old software and games from Windows worked on Arch, I'd just have zero reason to use Windows; IMO Windows is worse overall: slower and less flexible, infinitely more expensive (can't beat 0$), constant expenses for upgrades (not including all the licenses I implicitly bought as a part of PC purchases which I subsequently lost the product keys to one way or another, leaving me SOL), spying and blackboxed so who knows how bad it actually gets underneath the surface--it's a raw deal, but as stated, software is what makes or breaks an OS, and that all depends on the software developers.  Strange to think that a company which makes so much produces something that doesn't drastically outperform--or even outperform a little--something that subsists on volunteer work and donations.

Reason 5 & most 32 bit versions of Ableton actually work very well with WINE's Windows emulator for Linux even though I haven't tried FL studio yet since I used the former two much more back in my Windows 7 days. I'm also in the same boat with visual art stuff since most of Adobe's software hasn't worked with WINE on my hardware even though Inkscape, Gimp, & the like are gradually catching up with Illustrator & Photoshop.

Last edited by Evoshe (2017-07-22 22:51:50)

Offline

#70 2017-07-23 09:38:19

Slithery
Forum Moderator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 2,995

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Evoshe wrote:

actually work very well with WINE's Windows emulator for Linux

[pedantic hat on] Wine Is Not an Emulator [/pedantic hat on]

Sorry, couldn't help myself.


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

#71 2017-08-13 13:19:58

sevendogs
Member
Registered: 2016-01-24
Posts: 118

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

After nearly 20 years of Linux usage as my desktop and distrowatch bouncing (damn ocd), I have figured out Arch is really the best for me. Great package management, modern packages, it just works. I dual boot with windows for gaming only: forced myself nearly 2 decades ago to disconnect any dependencies from that ugly behemoth. I am forced to use windows at work so it is refreshing to come home and use something that makes me happy, not frustrated.


When asked "Are you a god or a man?" the Buddha replied "I am awake."

Offline

#72 2017-08-14 03:15:37

Texbrew
Member
From: The Lone Star State
Registered: 2016-02-09
Posts: 567

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I know I have already chimed in on this thread, but lately, Arch is more my every other day daily driver, but it's still my favorite.

I don't do windows anymore unless SWMBO  asks me to  clean the glass ones in our house. Not bashing, but I'm happier for it.

Offline

#73 2017-08-14 10:25:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 20,424
Website

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Texbrew wrote:

Not bashing...

So Zshing?


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#74 2017-08-14 14:57:07

mrunion
Member
From: Jonesborough, TN
Registered: 2007-01-26
Posts: 1,937
Website

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Trilby wrote:
Texbrew wrote:

Not bashing...

So Zshing?

FISHing...


Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Offline

#75 2017-08-14 19:10:03

Texbrew
Member
From: The Lone Star State
Registered: 2016-02-09
Posts: 567

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Oh, I absolutely bash, but in a good way. I'll check out zshing and fishing one day - if I live long enough.

edit: darned typos.

Last edited by Texbrew (2017-08-14 19:10:45)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB