#76 2006-07-08 18:48:49

_Gandalf_

Re: The wmii thread

titles ?? can you be more specific ??

#77 2006-07-09 03:02:25

abhidg
Website

By titles, I mean the title text on any window. I can see this on all other WMs except ratpoison, and wmii. wmii shows just the window number in the title bar, not the title itself.

#78 2006-07-09 13:56:57

AllTom
Website

abhidg wrote:

By titles, I mean the title text on any window. I can see this on all other WMs except ratpoison, and wmii. wmii shows just the window number in the title bar, not the title itself.

The bar at the bottom only lists views, not windows (clients). With WMII, you're really expected to have a good feel for which windows are on each view yourself. If you start using textual tags for your views (web, chat, etc.), this becomes easier to do, and I rarely find the need for a Windows-like task bar any more.

#79 2006-07-09 16:35:27

nogoma

Snippet alert:

mfp's got a pretty nifty looking text-based bookmark manager in the darcs repos for ruby-wmii; I'm about to check it out (I might put some edits on it to allow me to open all bookmarks matching a particular tag/regex, whatever. The current version only opens 1 bookmark at a time, AFAIK). From mfp's blog:

But this one I'm liking so far: based on wmii's wmiimenu+wmiipsel tools, and built on top of ruby-wmii, it features:

* mouse-less interaction
    * search as you type (extended autocompletion) for both title and URLs: the set of bookmarks matching what I'm typing at any position in the title or the URL is updated instantaneously as I type
    * del.icio.us integration: importing bookmarks from del.icio.us and getting new ones automatically
    * tagging (it will import your del.icio.us tags if you let it try)
    * powerful search expressions (as many criteria as you want):
          o all bookmarks in the last week: ~d <7d
          o all bookmarks whose description matches a regexp: ~t regexp
          o all bookmarks with "redhanded" on the description or the URL, defined/last used in the last month: redhanded ~d <1m
          o all bookmarks with "ruby" on the URL, defined/last used in 2006: ~d 2006 ~u ruby
          o all bookmarks tagged as "blog", defined/last used in Q1: :blog ~d q1
    * progressive refining: I can enter successive expressions and each one further restricts the possible choices, which are shown in the menu

I'm going to add some links to this and the mailchecker on the Configuring_wmii wikipage.

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

#80 2006-07-16 22:20:02

sf.

I've just discovered this bookmark manager, but how can I set wmii to use Firefox? Right now it doesn't have any browser set at all, so it does nothing

#81 2006-07-16 23:35:06

AllTom
Website

sf. wrote:

I've just discovered this bookmark manager, but how can I set wmii to use Firefox? Right now it doesn't have any browser set at all, so it does nothing

Browsing the source tells me that you can either set the BROWSER environment variable, or make a script to open your browser at /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser.

#82 2006-07-17 12:48:31

sf.

But........how can I do either of those? =

#83 2006-07-17 15:13:32

nogoma

AllTom wrote:
sf. wrote:

Browsing the source tells me that you can either set the BROWSER environment variable, or make a script to open your browser at /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser.

The /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser thing is from the system Debian (and perhaps others) use to manage, well, alternatives. I *believe* it's just a symlink to your desired binary (i.e. make  /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser a symlink to /opt/mozilla/bin/firefox, or whatever you want). Setting the BROWSER environment variable can be achieved by exporting it in your bashrc (or zshrc, or whatever you're using). Alternatively, if you're using startx to fire up your X session, I guess you could export it in your xinitrc.

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!

#84 2006-07-17 18:08:28

AllTom
Website

nogoma wrote:

The /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser thing is from the system Debian (and perhaps others) use to manage, well, alternatives. I *believe* it's just a symlink to your desired binary (i.e. make  /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser a symlink to /opt/mozilla/bin/firefox, or whatever you want). Setting the BROWSER environment variable can be achieved by exporting it in your bashrc (or zshrc, or whatever you're using). Alternatively, if you're using startx to fire up your X session, I guess you could export it in your xinitrc.

Thanks! You wrote it out before I even saw the message. smile

If you do use BROWSER, then I would set it in the xinitrc, since your X browser probably won't work outside X anyway. smile

#85 2006-08-02 13:02:39

Filosofem

Hey.  I've tried WMII recently, and up to now, it's great. tongue

There's a detail, however, that is pretty annoying, with jEdit, which is that when I click on "open file", no window actually appears, and I can't click on anything in jEdit. 

So then, I try to close the window with 'ctrl + j/k', 'ctrl + shit + c', 'ctrl + space' and "escape", but it only works once in a while.  And if this doesn't work, I have to "kill" all "java" processes.

Now, the only way I can open a file is to hope it's in the "recently opened" list, or with 'jedit <name of the file' in command line, which is less convinient. smile

So I would appreciate any idea about how to fix that. smile

Thanks.

#86 2006-08-02 23:56:47

Filosofem

Found the solution: enable "Draw dialog box borders using Swing look & feel" in Global Options, and Appearance.  If anyone get that problem, remember not to try to modify the window's size, or you get a crash.

#87 2006-08-11 08:57:49

mucknert

Did anyone else experience the problem, that wmii will not accept any other command when the last window has been closed?

It actually happened to me the second time and is somewhat of a showstopper. I've closed my last window, only to remember that I had something else to do. So I hit M-p to enter a command but.. indeed, nothing happens. I hit Meta-a to enter quit but the menu does not appear. So, I am stuck with wmii doing nothing, the only way to resolve this is to kill wmii from "outside" (terminal or remote login). Did anyone else have that and if yes: what can I do against it? Perhaps this is just a simple bug but I find it rather annoying.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#88 2006-08-11 12:34:40

AllTom
Website

mucknert wrote:

Did anyone else experience the problem, that wmii will not accept any other command when the last window has been closed?

If that has happened, then it is most likely a bug in your wmiirc script. Do you use the one that comes with WMII, one you made yourself, or one of the packaged ones that are floating around?

#89 2006-08-11 16:24:12

clam

One of the benefits of wmii-2.5 is that there was still a way to eliminate menu bars on windows, saving screen space.  Does anyone know how to do this with dwm or wmii-3?

#90 2006-08-11 20:10:55

mucknert

AllTom wrote:
mucknert wrote:

If that has happened, then it is most likely a bug in your wmiirc script. Do you use the one that comes with WMII, one you made yourself, or one of the packaged ones that are floating around?

I use the wmiirc that came packaged with wmii. Just used urxvt for a terminal instead of xterm.

#91 2006-08-11 21:32:40

AllTom
Website

mucknert: Hm, never mind. Unless you somehow made accidental edits, that one should work well.

Clam: The closest I've seen is maximized mode (Mod+M?), as opposed to default and stacked, which is like stacked, but the other window title bars do not show. That is the only situation in WMII 3 that I know of in which a title bar is hidden.

#92 2006-08-14 17:35:57

nogoma

A heads up for everybody: mfp's released ruby-wmii 0.3.1. Some bugfixes and feature enhancements; see the link for more details.

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!

#93 2006-08-15 00:37:52

AllTom
Website

I must admit, I've been using Windows for the past few weeks preparing for some online placement tests that require it, and now that I'm back in Linux, I'm figuring out what all the fuss for dwm is about. I'll be back to Ruby-hacking wmii soon...

#94 2006-08-16 06:22:25

mucknert

*sigh* Above mentioned bug occured again. The sad thing is that there are no error messages or something like that. It just stops working. Yesterday I've worked several hours straight and had no problem. Now, after a few minutes, wmii locked up in the described way. Well, I'm just going to write a bug-report to garbeam and hope for the best.

#95 2006-08-16 06:43:59

mucknert

Alright, the Bug just became reproducable. The steps that work for me are:

- start up a fresh wmii-Session.
- M-p and start opera
- do some browsing
- quit opera with C-q
- try to hit M-a or M-p -> No go.

Can anyone try that out and see if it works for him/her?

#96 2006-08-16 08:09:23

postlogic
Website

mucknert wrote:

Alright, the Bug just became reproducable. The steps that work for me are:

- start up a fresh wmii-Session.
- M-p and start opera
- do some browsing
- quit opera with C-q
- try to hit M-a or M-p -> No go.

Can anyone try that out and see if it works for him/her?

It doesn't work entering floating mode either?

#97 2006-08-16 08:43:11

mucknert

postlogic wrote:

It doesn't work entering floating mode either?

Nope. Just nope.  :?

#98 2006-08-16 12:09:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

OK - I am going to try wmii with Ruby.  I was looking to learn Python but I think I might as well go with Ruby and kill two birds with one stone.  might also get me into Ruby on Rails...

My first contribution will be darcs support in versionpkg.

Am finally excited by a WM again!

#99 2006-08-16 16:46:48

postlogic
Website

Does anyone even know if there still is some effort to getting Python to wmii like they did with Ruby? I saw the mailinglist post, but I haven't found anything later.

#100 2006-08-16 17:10:53

codemac
Website

There is a python one floating around somewhere, but I don't remember where it's hosted.

On a side note, when is ruby+wmii going to use the Ruby IXP?  I think that would be uber.

Board footer