You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-03 13:48:56

Maniaxx

Re: Tear free option for xf86-video-intel is not working

Check with glxinfo if DRI3 is working. Should be somewhere in the first lines.

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo

The Xorg log shows glamor using opengl 1.4. As far as i know glamor needs at least GL2.1 these days (that the i965 is capable of though). At least my Xorg log told me that on my old i915 (GL1.4 only).

I'm repeating C00ters question. Did you check Intel dependencies? Which mesa have you installed?

sys2064

#27 2017-07-03 14:03:27

Xenphor

Lone_Wolf wrote:

from xf86-video-intel PKGBUILD :

--with-default-dri=3

If you want to revert to xf86-video-intel with dri 2 , you'll have to build it yourself.

Note that when the intel X driver used dri 2 , tearffee often didn't deliver  what the name suggests .
You should consider it a marketing term with many caveats that are not mentioned in the advertisement.

Really? I just used the DRI2 option in a config file and it set the desired option as well as tear free enabled. No building required. I found tear free to work well enough.

#28 2017-07-03 14:13:35

Xenphor

Maniaxx wrote:

Check with glxinfo if DRI3 is working. Should be somewhere in the first lines.

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo

The Xorg log shows glamor using opengl 1.4. As far as i know glamor needs at least GL2.1 these days (that the i965 is capable of though). At least my Xorg log told me that on my old i915 (GL1.4 only).

I'm repeating C00ters question. Did you check Intel dependencies? Which mesa have you installed?

Yes glxinfo says DRI3 is working, Mesa 17.1.3

#29 2017-07-03 20:47:52

Maniaxx

Did you try without the custom Intel kernel command line options?
What about latest standard kernel? You have 4.10-generic.

sys2064

#30 2017-07-03 21:18:15

V1del
Forum Moderator

That is an ubuntu.log, but I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt here and assume that it was just posted for comparison's sake rather than asking for support with it

#31 2017-07-03 22:17:00

Xenphor

V1del wrote:

That is an ubuntu.log, but I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt here and assume that it was just posted for comparison's sake rather than asking for support with it

Yes it was on ubuntu where I first noticed the option tear free working so since then I have been trying to replicate the settings in arch. The logs are pretty much identical.

#32 2018-02-04 19:10:24

CPU Gastronomy

Hello,

Crossed this post while having issues with screen tearing with a Haswell processor, so I thought sharing my solution.

I corrected the screen tearing in my firefox by having the xf86 driver installed, then putting Option "DRI" "2" and  Option "TearFree" "true" in my driver section of X11.
I also have ucode installed, but I don't think it has an impact.

I might add this information on the wiki.

Last edited by CPU Gastronomy (2018-02-04 19:12:00)

#33 2018-02-05 17:54:33

c00ter

CPU Gastronomy wrote:

Hello,

Crossed this post while having issues with screen tearing with a Haswell processor, so I thought sharing my solution.

I corrected the screen tearing in my firefox by having the xf86 driver installed, then putting Option "DRI" "2" and  Option "TearFree" "true" in my driver section of X11.
I also have ucode installed, but I don't think it has an impact.

I might add this information on the wiki.

Before adding a Wiki entry, please consider: This Haswell-M (laptop) Intel CPU/GPU with ucode properly loaded, no intel.conf, modesetting, proper libva and mesa drivers installed, updated Arch + Plasma5, OpenGL 3.1, full compositing, works just fine in all applications, including streaming Netflix & YouTube, Amazon, etc. In Firefox, Chromium, and Chrome.

We have had a huge amount of discussion in the forum over the past 2-3 years specific to Intel ucode, the xf86-video-intel driver, Xorg configurations (or the questionable need for them in most cases), special boot configurations, yada, yada, and it has left me with the distinct impression that too much--way too much--is being read into it, too many unneeded boot options being employed, too many X11 conf files being used and modified that maybe shouldn't be used at all, and more. All of that, when perhaps the opposite should be done.

Try these things since it is a Haswell: Make sure that you have the Intel ucode properly installed. Uninstall xf86-video-intel if it is installed. Remove any /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file there is. Don't just alter--remove it to employ modesetting. Or make it a .bak. Remove any "i915" crap that you added. Make sure you have DRM enable in Firefox or whatnot. Reboot and examine your results. Still tearing? Ensure you have the Libva and Mesa drivers for Intel. Reboot. Retest. Still tearing?

//rant OFF

mondays...and CATS!...if in doubt, the exclamation CATS! covers it all

Last edited by c00ter (2018-02-05 17:57:26)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Board footer