You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-31 12:11:53

Buddlespit

Re: Dbus / SystemD(?) stops working. Can't open Dolphin/etc Until Relog

zeebzz wrote:

If I try to run it as sudo in terminal I get this:

[zach@zeeb]: ~>$ kdesu dolphin
klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit5: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
"KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error when calling kdeinit_exec_wait:\nNot connected to D-Bus server\n"

Probably off topic, sorry. Dolphin and Kate will both not launch with kdesu. If I remember correctly (and arojas will probably correct me if I don't), dev's intentionally took out the ability to launch Dolphin and Kate via kdesu as a security measure. Other apps that I try to run with kdesu (ie- systemsettings5), I have to prepend with dbus-launch to get to work:

$ kdesu dbus-launch systemsettings5

This appears to be just a Plasma thing, since I can run non-qt/non-plasma apps without dbus-launch (ie- nvidia-settings).

#27 2017-07-31 14:46:51

V1del
Forum Moderator

Doesn't have anything to do with plasma, anything that needs a running dbus will have to be started with dbus-launch (nvidia-settings is a bad example as it doesn't use dbus) since automatic spawning of a dbus session for X11 clients has been disabled in the dbus package (and the root user you invoke with sudo will likely not have a running dbus session otherwise). (e.g. running nautilus like that without dbus-launch should also fail) and even in these cases, it would be better to run the software with

dbus-launch --exit-with-session $program

otherwise each invocation of dbus-launch will leave a root owned dbus session lingering even after you close the program you wanted to have an interaction with, which might potentially be used for malicious purposes if you just leave it be.

However all of that shouldn't matter in the context of this thread, and you shouldn't use that as a general purpose way of "fixing things". It will bite you if you slap dbus-launch everywhere without knowing what you are doing.

#28 2017-08-01 03:44:10

zeebzz

I can't believe this. I'm in complete awe.

I wiped my entire SSD and did Arch linux + KDE again from fresh. After just 1 day I have the exact same issue.

This is 100% default base install of Arch.

Arch Linux KDE Is Broken.

Unusable.

Like there is pretty much no way this is user error. I did not do ANYTHING besides EXACTLY install Arch, then KDE EXACTLY as the Wiki says.

I was 100% careful to get as 'Default' install as possible.

And just one day later, Dolphin, Systemsettings, is crashing at random. With the exact same error message.

Time to ditch KDE forever, maybe Gnome? Maybe i'll just install Ubuntu, i'm tired of troubleshooting into a timesink..

Last edited by zeebzz (2017-08-01 03:46:12)

#29 2017-08-01 06:38:50

seth

Would you please waste your time to answer comment #25?

#30 2017-08-01 06:47:00

zeebzz

seth wrote:

For clarification: this *only* affects dolphin and it is *not* an approach to run dolphin as different user (or even root)?
Are there stale dolphin processes when this happens? What if you kill them away?

No it doesn't only affect dolphin, it seemed to be every single QT application would not launch. running as different user / root didnt work either. You *have* relog / reboot to fix it

No stale dolphin processes, etc

#31 2017-08-01 10:20:01

V1del
Forum Moderator

Since you have a "clean" system now repost

hostnamectl status
systemctl --user status dbus
journalctl -b | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

After it happens again. FWIW I can guarantee you that KDE on Arch isn't broken, I run it daily, something on your side is off, worst case some kind of interaction issue with AMD and the PIE rebuilds, then you really are not at fault, but that is still ways off with the info we have currently.

#32 2017-08-01 19:34:06

zeebzz

Sorry i'm using Gnome now. Not wasting anymore time reinstalling Arch KDE for the 5th (literal) time

"worst case some kind of interaction issue with AMD and the PIE rebuilds, then you really are not at fault, but that is still ways off with the info we have currently."

Oh, also It wasnt any GPU bug because I swapped out my amd 6950 for an nvidia gtx 760 during the time it was happening. didnt fix anything.

Last edited by zeebzz (2017-08-01 19:35:07)

#33 2017-08-01 20:05:52

seth

V1del referred to you *C*PU.

Just for completeness sake and in general:
"reinstalling Arch" is no strategy to solve *any* problem - you just create a moving target, turning any effort to help you a futile waste of time. Just don't.

I don't run KDE myself, but since V1del is pretty sure: GNOME relies on dbus at least just as much and we've never settled whether you can talk to the session bus when this happens.
So if there's an underlying problem on communicating with it, be prepared to face similar problems in the future. Please refer to this thread, in case.

#34 2017-08-01 20:52:11

kokoko3k

seth wrote:

be prepared to face similar problems in the future. Please refer to this thread, in case.

Hats off, Sir.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2017-08-01 20:52:31)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#35 2017-08-02 01:00:15

Buddlespit

V1del wrote:

Doesn't have anything to do with plasma, anything that needs a running dbus will have to be started with dbus-launch (nvidia-settings is a bad example as it doesn't use dbus) since automatic spawning of a dbus session for X11 clients has been disabled in the dbus package (and the root user you invoke with sudo will likely not have a running dbus session otherwise). (e.g. running nautilus like that without dbus-launch should also fail) and even in these cases, it would be better to run the software with

dbus-launch --exit-with-session $program

otherwise each invocation of dbus-launch will leave a root owned dbus session lingering even after you close the program you wanted to have an interaction with, which might potentially be used for malicious purposes if you just leave it be.

However all of that shouldn't matter in the context of this thread, and you shouldn't use that as a general purpose way of "fixing things". It will bite you if you slap dbus-launch everywhere without knowing what you are doing.

And I've learned something new today! Thank you.

#36 2017-08-02 19:12:07

mrunion
Website

zeebzz wrote:

Arch Linux KDE Is Broken.

Unusable.

You've moved on to something else, and I hope it fixes your issue.

But I can assure you your statement above is not representative of reality.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Board footer