You are not logged in.

#26 2006-07-21 05:57:02

omniwolf

Re: cups failure

I got mine to work!!! I checked error.log under /var/cups and it said permission denied, it must be that something in the last bunch of updates changed the permission for lp0 and usb/lp0. I enabled it by manually changing the permissions for -rw-rw-rw- and clicked on start printer and it woke back up

try doing this see if it helps and post your results. this is only a stopgap measure but as I'm not a linux guru I didn't know how to fix the cause of the problem.

#27 2006-07-21 08:02:01

andrej.podzimek

In my case, there is nothing about permissions in the error log. Presumably, changing them did not help.

There are many nonexistent dependencies in the Arch repos right now. They can be revealed by prelink, for example. Some of them could cause the problem. This must be the same case on virtually all machines updated from the repos. This is a list of files whose dependencies are missing on my system.

prelink: /usr/bin/svn: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/nmap: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/gftp-text: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysql_client_test: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/links: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysql: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/svnadmin: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/svnserve: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/scribus: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/ethereal: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqladmin: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqlcheck: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/edonkeyclc: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/dftest: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/svnlook: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqlbinlog: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/gkrellm: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqltestmanager-pwgen: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/gftp-gtk: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqlimport: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/svndumpfilter: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqltestmanager: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqltestmanagerc: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/svnversion: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqldump: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqlshow: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/mysqltest: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/bin/tethereal: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/sbin/saslpasswd2: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/sbin/sasldblistusers2: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/sbin/mysqld: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /usr/sbin/mysqlmanager: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /opt/mozilla/lib/xulrunner/libgtkembedmoz.so: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /opt/mozilla/lib/xulrunner/libxpcom.so: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /opt/gnome/bin/ekiga: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /opt/mozilla/lib/xulrunner/libxul.so: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /opt/kde/bin/cupsdconf: Could not find one of the dependencies
prelink: /opt/kde/bin/cupsdoprint: Could not find one of the dependencies

Recompiling the packages using makepkg does not help. The last two lines seem to be a clear sign of trouble.

#28 2006-07-21 13:41:32

andrej.podzimek

The new CUPS package did not help. I'm using the config file from the new package. Tried to set permissions of /dev/usb/lp0 to ugo=rw. No change at all. The system has been rebooted after each update. Those two last lines from the prelink failures must be the reason of all this. But some users already run the updated CUPS. How is that possible? Are you guys using a different repository? How do you cope with the missing libraries?

#29 2006-07-21 20:29:03

kishd

I don't know if this will help. One of the following changes suddenly got cups printing on my system. I use kde

<run> kprinter > system options > cups server> set to localhost port 631

pacman -S enscript (install enscript)

gpasswd -a username lp

reboot

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#30 2006-07-21 20:56:18

andrej.podzimek

It is quite obvious that kprinter cannot be used with the present state of the packages. I cannot use kprinter due to the missing library libgnutls.so.12. How did you solve these library issues? How can you run kprinter without its dependencies installed? Kprinter produces about three error dialogs. When it starts, the dialog window is not usable. No printers are shown. CUPS server settings are unavailable. As everyone uses the same repository, the situation must be the same on all computers. If you can run kprinter on an up-to-date Arch system, it must be a miracle. 8)

#31 2006-07-21 21:07:46

kishd

andrej.podzimek, My system is up to date just ran pacman -Syu this morning

kernel 2.6.17.6-1
cups 1.2.2.1

pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
:: testing is up to date
:: current is up to date
:: extra is up to date
:: community is up to date

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#32 2006-07-21 22:38:15

andrej.podzimek

This is unbelievable. Where's the difference then? Perhaps a hardware-related issue...? This world is full of puzzles. If you can run kprinter, /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.12 should exist on your system. It has been already replaced by libgnutls.so.13 and that's why I don't have that file any more.

Either your kprinter uses the newer library or the old one remains in your filesystem, for some reason or other.

My system is up-to-date as well. So why does kprinter require the old library? If all the Arch users except me can run kprinter, there must be something wrong with my system. But what? I've never had such a serious trouble with CUPS...

#33 2006-07-21 23:34:01

andrej.podzimek

I'll have to restore the old version of CUPS. It worked flawlessly, unlike the new one. I've spent more than twenty hours attempting to make the new CUPS work, but now I see it'll never print on my machine. All the previous versions of CUPS worked immediately, but this one is just a terrible nuisance. I'm fed up with that, giving up. Hope I'll be able to find an older version of CUPS somewhere. There's no other way through, I think.

#34 2006-07-22 00:12:26

andrej.podzimek

LPT works, after lots of hand twisting. Had to re-update all the foomatic stuff. As for permissions and settings in the KDE Control Center, /dev and cupsd.conf, I'm totally confused...

The USB printer keeps annoying me. But there is still a chance that it'll fix itself by accident and I strongly hope it'll do so pretty soon.

By the way, I had to symlink libgnutls.so.12 > libgnutls.so.13 to make the kprinter work.

What's the exact meaning of the account information you can provide in kprinter > system options > cups server?

a) The account kprinter will use to communicate with the CUPS server.
b) The account CUPS should use to run the backends and do other processing.
c) Something completely different.

Should it be root or my ordinary user? Whenever I try to configure CUPS from the KDE Control Center, it fails. There's an error message saying that the config file could not be retrieved from the server, which might be caused by insufficient permissions. When I do this as root, it fails with the same message.

Wow, what a bad day!

#35 2006-07-22 00:32:19

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

My last attempt to help.
back up your ~/.kde directory login and try to print. That will eliminate and wierd kde specific configs.

andrej.podzimek wrote:

By the way, I had to symlink libgnutls.so.12 > libgnutls.so.13 to make the kprinter work.

That sounds like kprinter needs to be recompiled. You can do pacman -Qo `locate kprinter` to find the owner of that package and recompile it. Its probably part of a huge kde subsystem.

If none of that works, I didn't help you.

#36 2006-08-04 12:39:03

Birdman

Do we know whether there is a bug here? The reason I ask is that I had a strange situation with the earlier version of cups where I would have to manually go in as root and 'turn on' the printer in cups after a reboot. I decided up upgrade the cups package and found that I could not even load cups - much as descibed in this thread. I reverted back to the older version of cups after removing all traces of the old config files and everything now works fine - even solved the old problem  big_smile

#37 2006-08-09 14:22:49

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I removed my Epson printer configure and re-installed with device LPT#1 instead of Parallel Port#1. The LPT#1 gives a list of all printer models.

Markku

#38 2006-08-09 17:14:26

bigbob73

rasat wrote:

I removed my Epson printer configure and re-installed with device LPT#1 instead of Parallel Port#1. The LPT#1 gives a list of all printer models.

what driver are you using with your epson?

#39 2006-08-09 23:36:06

bigbob73

bigbob73 wrote:
rasat wrote:

what driver are you using with your epson?

Never mind, i just got it to work.  yikes

Board footer