You are not logged in.

#51 2020-01-11 14:19:19

arnaudv6

Re: lizzy (music player) python script that feeds your music to mpv

Sirsurthur wrote:

Not a bug but a small syntax question...

Thanks! Should be correct now.

Sirsurthur wrote:

Still use a lot Lizzy which is my favorite music player !

Thanks smile

#52 2020-01-28 16:45:53

watsonalgas

I'm getting:

Error parsing commandline option display-tags: option requires parameter

Not sure why that is happening now and not before, but I haven't used my computer in a long time.

I know I can change the default command to run, but was just checking to see if it was something with lizzy or my setup.

#53 2020-01-28 19:06:18

arnaudv6

Hey Watsonalgas, thanks for the bug report.
Which version of mpv do you use? which version of lizzy?
mpv is throwing the error...and refuses to play then?

mpv 0.31 here, not throwing any error. Embarrassing.
I guess this could be linked to this item on changelog:

Changed

options: change option parsing when using a single dash
    This adds a warning for -o file.mkv and disallows the use of
    --o file.mkv (use --o=file.mkv instead).

mpv 0.32 is availlable in gentoo: I'll try and unmask it.
I should live more on the cutting edge I guess...
One thing that I'd love using arch for. But I love my gentoo...

#54 2020-01-28 21:35:49

arnaudv6

Tested: that was it .
I already had a big commit unreleased, and another one pending... I added this correction, ran the small bash regression tests, and tagged.
But I did not have much time to test at home. please file any regression.

#55 2020-01-29 01:36:33

watsonalgas

Yeah, I'm running mpv 0.32, so that was it.  It works fine for me now, thanks!

#56 2020-05-13 13:20:12

arnaudv6

Dear all, I am now announcing 20200513b release, as a big -exciting- one, with breaking changes.
Please refer to release notes.
TLDR: move '~/.local/share/lizzy' to '~/.config/lizzy'

#57 2020-08-31 18:57:29

watsonalgas

Hi arnaudv6,

What do you think about collapsable/expandable directories?  I like seeing the directory structure, but seeing all the individual files is a lot sometimes...

#58 2020-09-01 06:44:34

arnaudv6

hi watsonalgas,

Care to elaborate your thought? I'd like this feature but when thinking about that myself, not once did I find a plain, simple UX.
are you talking about left pane? or right, or both? What about results highlights? Which key-bindings do you have in mind?
I still want to be able to append directories themselves to playlist -for instance- from both left and right panes...
Don't hesitate to PM me if you want so we share our views.

#59 2020-09-01 06:46:14

arnaudv6

That could be a major plus if we see it through

#60 2020-09-01 19:34:08

watsonalgas

Well, the backspace browser seems to do about what I was thinking, except you can't play directly from it with enter.

I was just thinking about the default left pane (no search) and having it collapsed down to albums or artists.  I hadn't gotten as far as thinking about keybindings, and have no idea how it can be implemented, so it may make it too complex, especially since you already have the backspace function.

Last edited by watsonalgas (2020-09-01 19:37:53)

#61 2021-01-25 05:45:23

Docbroke

I guess when lizzy is opened first, and when search field is empty, we may have music directories collapsed, to give overview of all the top level folders. Which user can select and add to playlist using movement keys. But folders cannot be kept collapsed when user is typing to search, for that lizzy's current interface is perfect.

#62 2021-02-01 19:17:29

arnaudv6

Hello Docbroke
For some reason I had no notification-mail upon your message, but I see it now, passing by.

Docbroke wrote:

I guess when lizzy is opened first, and when search field is empty, we may have music directories collapsed, to give overview of all the top level folders.

I will do the exercise: give you an account of why things are as they are, it will give you some context -if you will- and might help me as well to formalize, reflect and spot inconsistencies.

So when search field is empty, left pane -depending on libraryIsSlash config option- currently shows either:

1. a slash (/). This is because I realized that sometimes, having a full, scrollable list of contents before my eyes sterilizes me. My mind goes blank instead of naturally suggesting what tune would fit the moment.
    Also the slash is a convenient way to play the complete collection (potentially in shuffle order)

2. the full developed list. This is the default behavior since recently, to help users onboard. It is convenient in my "movies" profile: I have maybe 2000 files with very few directories, for trilogies and all... The contents of ^b panel helps me not here, and seeing a list helps me.

^b panel is an added visualization option, for finding inspiration when no melody imposes itself to my brain.

Reflecting on what I just wrote, two thoughts come to my mind:

• I should ponder dropping the empty screen (/). Maybe I could rely on window manager to not see the terminal at all, if the list disturbs me. But this might be a huge step back in integration for me.

• When search field is empty, left pane could show a list consisting of, by order;

1. a slash. to play complete collection with a click

2. directories (no depth/recursion, only parents). This is tricky: should pressing enter add full directory to playlist? With ^E to expand? Or put directory name in search field, user chooses what to add? I see no clear winner yet

3. files from root directory

On the whole, this modification could feel familiar, even with lost coherence between listings with and without search terms. If this came to be, I could consider dropping ^b panel altogether, loosing mainly the multiple columns view.

I have wandered far enough for now. I need added time to think about this all. What is your view?

Docbroke wrote:

Which user can select and add to playlist using movement keys. But folders cannot be kept collapsed when user is typing to search, for that lizzy's current interface is perfect.

Using movement keys to add to playlist is something I considered, but then we'd loose ability to jump between panels with them. Though we still have [tab.], I'd consider this a loss, what is your opinion?

#63 2021-02-07 12:49:12

arnaudv6

arnaudv6 wrote:
  • When search field is empty, left pane could show a list consisting of, by order;

1. a slash. to play complete collection with a click

2. directories (no depth/recursion, only parents). This is tricky: should pressing enter add full directory to playlist? With ^E to expand? Or put directory name in search field, user chooses what to add? I see no clear winner yet

3. files from root directory

On the whole, this modification could feel familiar, even with lost coherence between listings with and without search terms. If this came to be, I could consider dropping ^b panel altogether, loosing mainly the multiple columns view.

I've given the above change more thoughts and decided to go for it.

Furthermore, I am about to drop youtube-dl integration. Instead, when user selects "search youtube", I want to open a tab in the browser, with search results of youtube. No further integration.
(Maybe a config option for user-specified search engine so you can use deezer/spotify/qobuz instead... but lizzy will only open search results tab in your browser, no more).
This is because I realized that youtube-dl integration never felt really natural, and can never progress much, even with the complex logic behind. This change can simplify things substantially.
I had no real feedback here of anyone relying on this feature, but if you do, here is your chance to raise your hand before it gets scratched.

#64 2021-02-10 19:03:59

arnaudv6

I had a little free time and implemented the changes, even though it left not much time to raise hands here, sorry.
Just made a big commit, but no release yet as it needs more testing/performance tuning/refining. Doc is out-of date, I'll fix that ASAP.
Still if some want to test and give feedback, this is indeed welcome. Thanks in advance.

edit: bit->big

Last edited by arnaudv6 (2021-02-15 12:51:25)

Board footer