You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-19 06:58:17

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Bluetooth keyboard disconnects right after connect

@Anez007 Since it isn't in testing anymore, just update. If you are in a situation where you have to do this, the kernel is one of the few packages were a partial update is possible with few repercussions so in this specific case I'd likely go with 1 (don't forget relevant out of tree modules, if installed)

#27 2019-06-19 08:38:00

woodape

Anez007 wrote:

I'm aware that this is a noob question, but please help me out here if you could, what is the best way to get the in-testing linux kernel?
1. Enable the testing repository, upgrade just "linux" (and "linux-header" maybe) and disable testing
2. Enable testing and upgrade the whole system, disable testing and wait for the day that the normal repositories catch up
3. some other method?

To be honest, this is probably a bad idea, particularly if this is for your main system. "testing" really is for testing. It's not for extra-bleeding edge;  note the "note" in the Wiki. You're also likely to run afoul of the partial upgrade policy.

It looks like the problem being discussed in this thread is solved for the core and LTS kernels, so you shouldn't need to get a different kernel if you're having the same issue. If you just want a more up to date kernel, you could try compiling your own, or look to the AUR for user maintained kernels. "linux-mainline" and "linux-next" will be newer than the one in core and not require you to enable the testing repo. Being AUR maintained kernels, you're more on your own if something breaks as most users will be running the kernel in core.

#28 2019-06-19 21:19:23

Pook

This is solved for me in 5.1.11-arch1-1-ARCH which is now in core.

#29 2019-06-20 22:53:05

Anez007

@V1del @woodape Thank you both for your answer.
@V1del Do you mean those dkms modules? / I did try downgrading in the past on my laptop and there was no problem, so yeah you are right.
@woodape I have heard of the policy against partial upgrade, though if I had an outdated system, and I just wanted to install a new package, which would sometimes involve upgrading a few existing libraries, wouldn't that be partial upgrading in a way? (Yep I realize this has nothing to do with this thread, humor me if you would)

Well I just rebooted into 5.1.11 and the keyboard works! @user578 could you confirm?

#30 2019-06-21 07:10:24

woodape

Anez007 wrote:

@woodape I have heard of the policy against partial upgrade, though if I had an outdated system, and I just wanted to install a new package, which would sometimes involve upgrading a few existing libraries, wouldn't that be partial upgrading in a way? (Yep I realize this has nothing to do with this thread, humor me if you would)

Yes that would. There's no way for you to install a new package which also updates a few existing packages without you having done a partial upgrade. The only way to get what you describe is by doing pacman -Sy <pkg>, which is exactly the kind of thing that is unsupported.

If you did pacman -S <pkg> you would only be able to install the package if the version of <pkg> and all its dependencies in your local database matched the remote database. If that happens you can rest assured that things will be fine. If something had changed in the remote repo that broke that version of <pkg> the package would have had either a version bump or a package version bump. If you can't install it, you need to do a pacman -Syu before you do a pacman -S <pkg> to ensure that your system is up to date enough for the new <pkg>.

The reason that V1del suggested it wouldn't be such a problem with the linux kernel is because the linux package has no dependencies. Its functionality can't break because of a partial upgrade, but most packages aren't in this lucky position. It wouldn't be hard to downgrade either, following the wiki. But this is treacherous terrain. If by muscle memory you did pacman -Syu instead of pacman -Sy after updating your pacman.conf to include testing, your whole system will be changed, and it'll be a pain to revert.

#31 2019-06-21 07:37:02

V1del
Forum Moderator

Yes definitely, I only suggested this for the linux kernel, any other package you should be really sure of what you're doing.

#32 2019-06-22 11:27:37

Anez007

@woodape Wow thank you so much for such insight. Now I do recall a few instances where I couldn't upgrade the system because one of the packages' (imagemagick I still remember) dependency changed and I had to delete the packages individually first.
Also, I am guessing having NVIDIA packages make the whole thing more complicated,  I don't see any dependencies on the kernel package but when I do downgrade the kernel (last time I did that due to a dual monitor issue) NVIDIA throws a bunch of "kernel version unmatched" errors at me.  My memory is a bit blurry though.
@V1del Thank god I have never done anything stupid (yet).

#33 2020-01-15 02:22:00

alkaid

Hi everyone, I still have this issue with kernel 5.4.11-arch1-1 and bluez 5.52. Does anyone have this issue again?

#34 2020-02-02 00:27:20

SiBu

Yep mate, same problem still with kernel 5.4.15-arch1-1 and bluez 5.52-2. Any news on this?

#35 2020-03-03 22:15:10

Florekx

Guys try this!!for me works.
echo 1 > /sys/module/bluetooth/parameters/disable_ertm in the terminal with root user
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/c … bluetooth/

EDIT:
I found another method,this time is permanent smile

Create a new file using nano :
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/bluetooth.conf

Add this line:
options bluetooth disable_ertm=Y

Save and exit

Reboot

Pair your controller smile

I copy/paste this Reddit post in case should be deleted
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comme … ontroller/

Last edited by Florekx (2020-03-03 23:20:43)

#36 2020-03-04 10:49:58

eth0:1

Florekx wrote:

echo 1 > /sys/module/bluetooth/parameters/disable_ertm in the terminal with root user

EDIT:

Add this line:

Save and exit

Reboot

You saved my day! Thank you! Struggled with Bluetooth headphones.

#37 2021-01-22 08:30:14

sunduda

Florekx wrote:

EDIT:

Add this line:

Save and exit

Reboot

Just registered to say thanks for providing the solution, save me a lot time here.

Board footer