You are not logged in.

#26 2019-08-14 19:58:03

niklasolai

Re: [Solved] Most glyphs don't work, specifically Font Awesome

seth wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline ?
Maybe also UTF-8 spaces or whatnot.

nb.: Neither of these monstrosities is a "text editor" - that would be vim, emacs (if it really must be ;-)

I am wondering if it was the module that i downloaded from github for i3bar/blocks that was broken, and idk about Atom, any ideas? Well maybe they aren't... not really IDEs either right?

#27 2019-08-14 20:04:30

progandy

If the font didn't work in Atom, it may have replaced the icons with the unknown glyph symbol and saved those.

PS With atom you expect something like this and you get something like this instead.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#28 2019-08-14 20:05:41

niklasolai

progandy wrote:

If the font didn't work in Atom, it may have replaced the icons with the unknown glyph symbol and saved those.

PS With atom you expect something like this and you get something like this instead.

You mean that it can be more complicated to use than you would expect?

#29 2019-08-14 20:08:37

progandy

niklasolai wrote:

You mean that it can be more complicated to use than you would expect?

Maybe, but mostly that it looks like a functional and fast editor, but then it drags a whole browser instance in Electron around just for editing text...

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#30 2019-08-14 20:27:48

seth

For clarification: did you have trouble showing the glyphs in atom or did you have problems w/ a textfile that was edited w/ atom?

#31 2019-08-14 20:29:56

niklasolai

seth wrote:

For clarification: did you have trouble showing the glyphs in atom or did you have problems w/ a textfile that was edited w/ atom?

Problems with showing glyphs in Atom, that's why i tough at first it was a system wide problem. But it seems to be quarantined to Atom. Some of the files I used for my i3bar was broken, but I didn't notice that at first because of Atom.

#32 2019-08-14 21:58:01

niklasolai

seth wrote:

I tried to copy something from font awesome cheatsheet again but this time VSCode OSS (Code OSS) and it did not work... But still works in SublimeText. This is truly making me crazy.

#33 2019-08-15 06:29:35

seth

Both are electron based, they're essentially the same browser disguising as text editor.

Awesome doesn't have the lower codepoints (for regular latin text), so if you configured it as your (only) font in some program, it might disregard them as invalid and use some default instead.
I think electron (like chromium) also ignores fontconfig, so you'll unlikely be able to configure a glyph substitution list there.

Board footer