You are not logged in.

#26 2019-07-12 19:01:42

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: No sound.

I told you what you can do, run alsamixer either the invocation I mentioned, or press F6 when in alsamixer to change the to be controlled card, verify playback ability with

speaker-test -Dhw:1 -c2

after unmuting the Master, Post the output of

#Again, the card "1" and card "0" we are talking about here are inferred from aplay -l output.
amixer -c1
speaker-test -Dhw:1 -c2

I personally would suggest you use pulseaudio, as making these relations and the ability to switch between audio devices more easily than using static ALSA configuration is one of the reasons for it to exist. However as you want to have as little moving parts as possible  you will first have do identify whether you are even getting basic output.

Everything we know so far is, you have a audio card that is currently not the default (that should change when you reboot) and that card you actually want audio from, is currently muted. We've given you all the tools to change that situation and share updated reports.

Last edited by V1del (2019-07-12 19:14:28)

#27 2019-07-12 19:17:41

Chadman
Website

I suppose I'm simple too dumb to use arch/follow your instructions, thanks for the help guys. I'll turn off my system, read a book and lift some iron instead. Then I'll probably install windows, sell my computer and buy more books and lift more iron.

#28 2019-07-12 19:30:05

seth

Arnold wrote:

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.

#29 2019-07-12 19:31:59

cynicfm
Banned

Chadman wrote:

That is correct. I am not using my HDMI output for audio, anybody with just a shred of audiophile in them would never use HDMI for audio. (unless the HDMI cable is a dedicated audio cable) I use displayport as my video output and the regular old mini jack as my audio output.

I would prefer to use VLC, but I'll install Audacious for testing purposes..

When trying to open a .mp3 file using Audacious, I get the following error message:

ALSA error: snd_pcm_open failed: No such file or directory.

That means audacious can't use your default sound card which is hdmi to play music. Perhaps you should try to get to alsamixer again and see if your main sound card isn't muted.
As for windows, well... I have heard many negative comments about pulseaudio i don't use it myself too... If you just started using linux then maybe Arch is a bit too much, perhaps you should try some arch based distro first but then you probably don't want to bother with pulseaudio.
Not sure if it's allowed to perform it here but you can always try get some arch based distro with callamares installer, my first arch distro was Artix and there is lxqt iso from 2019 that uses openRC as init system, doesn't have pulseaudio too but again you may get issues with sound too... Not sure...

Laptop sound cards are crap anyways, i have got usb audio mini card that i often use, and while pulseaudio offers convenience, currently i have downloaded asoundconf from AUR and somehow i manage to deal with it without using Pulseaudio :-). Though i have set usb audio as primary sound card earlier, i think the config file was asound.conf, perhaps you should go for reading alsa
https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Main_Page <- this is your best friend in terms of problem with sound.

I heard many opinions that pulseaudio is bloatware, some people from #irc discouraged me enough to never use it.

PS. the best bet with this would be to stay with Arch Linux and get some external sound card :-).
edit: From my personal experience pulseaudio doesn't offer rich sound experience, i always had best moments while using some arch based distro that comes without pulseaudio, but Artix new .iso unfortunately do have pulseaudio preinstalled, so i was a bit disappointed, cuz there is strong debate that systemd is bad but then they still install redhat garbage stuff, bleh... Although they're community editions, not official.

Last edited by cynicfm (2019-07-12 19:35:51)

Have a good day

#30 2019-07-12 19:45:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

This doesn't have much to do with Arch that's how ALSA works. Do you have any experience with any other Linux distribution ? Are you sure they didn't use pulse?

FWIW if you happen to want to stick to this anyway and that was just a short outburst of frustration, the chain of approach should be

#If you really rebooted here, check back in aplay -l there's a chance that the -c1 and hw:1 is now -c0 and hw:0 respectively
alsamixer -c1 #Unmute master
amixer -c1 #Show "us" what you've changed in alsamixer (they are just a different visual representation of the same information)
speaker-test -Dhw:1 -c2 #Hopefully get sound, share any error messages.

@cynicfm It would be best if we could focus on the issue at hand here, you are making a few hard assumptions while we don't have the necessary data to back  them up.

Last edited by V1del (2019-07-12 19:50:28)

#31 2019-07-12 19:50:49

cynicfm
Banned

Yeah, of course. Creator of this topic suggested that he's coming back to Windows because he's discouraged with things, perhaps he lost motivation to try solve the issue, i think the best bet would be to make him not go to windows...

So perhaps try to install pulseaudio like other users mentioned but i never had to deal with this software because i don't use it, so i can't help with it.

Have a good day

Board footer