You are not logged in.

#26 2006-09-05 00:49:41

isez2001

Re: How to organize your desktop?

aquila_deus wrote:

The biggest problem is that many gtk apps such as gaim and gimp have different menubars for different kinds of windows - And this totally screw up the mac menubar design (ex: you can't find "Quit" in gaim's chat window menubar).

I'd veiw that more as a problem with the apps than with GTK.  Should GTK/Gnome come to allow such functionality (purely hypothetical; I get the impression that the chances are about nil), programs with multiple windows and menus might just have to rethink their interfaces slightly.

On the other hand, even if multiwindow program kept multiple menubars, it would still work.  The menubar for the active window would be displayed, giving you access to the functions immediately useful to you.  If you needed something from a different window, then you would just have to switch to that window.   

Another option would be to define a single "main" menubar to an application, which would be displayed no matter which window is active.  Menubars from child windows would still be displayed within the window itself.

Obviously, the first would be most ideal, but either of the others would be perfectly useable, and get the ball rolling for further improvement.

#27 2007-02-17 23:39:28

gunnix
Website

Re: How to organize your desktop?

Coming from windows I first saw kde or gnome but soon got rid of it. Then used xfce a while, then used fluxbox a lot, then openbox, then ion3, ratpoison, wmii, icewm. I like icewm most because it got good keyboard bindings in my opinion and it's usable with the mouse by anyone used to computers (not weird like ion, wmii, or ratpoison). It's really fast (faster then ion, fluxbox or wmii on slow computers) and the winxp theme looks quite good as well (though it's probably really wrong to have winxp theme on arch linux! tongue ). clock, cpu and net monitor very useful in the taskbar..

http://users.skynet.be/six/gpure/tech/lightdesktop.html

http://users.skynet.be/six/gpure/tech/icewm.png

Most stuff I like to do with the keyboard, only a pitty opera is so sucky with the keyboard. I know conkeror for firefox but don't like firefox much...

Last edited by gunnix (2007-02-17 23:41:08)

As is true for most people I know, I've always loved learning. As is also true for most people I know, I always hated school. Why is that?

Board footer