You are not logged in.

#26 2004-02-09 22:05:54

dauphin

Re: Lilo timestamp mismatch

I don't know, but if you have a working XF86Config on your original Arch or even another distro can you find a way of copying it (eg onto a floppy or USB drive) and then transferring it to your new installation? 
What method are you using to create XF86Config?  xf86config or XFree86 -configure .  Try both, though with the latter I find I have to edit it manually to identify my mouse at /dev/psaux.

#27 2004-02-09 22:22:13

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Dauphin;

I used XFree86 -configure.   Generated XF86Config.new.

Then moved to XF86Config where I am trying to edit it, first message was about the mouse but have had many error messages abiut the Virtual Height which I think might be Virtual Window Management data.

Googling on the net revealed a lot of others with the same problem but no solution given.  One fella solved his but didn't say how!!!  Typical of the net!

Wonder if I can use the following for the ID of lilo boot....2arch instead of arch2?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#28 2004-02-09 22:35:58

dauphin

You may find it better to mix your own with xf86config. 

You can label the lilo boot anything you like!

#29 2004-02-09 23:06:53

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Dauphin;

Good grief! I entered 2arch into the 120Gb drive lilo.conf and the two drives are installed and the 120GB drive boots!  No more lilotimestamp mismatch!

I hope I can load a good XF86Config now.  No clues to the solution on the internet as yet.  I have a copy of a file that should work but it may give me new problems.

By the way, the 80GB drive has developed a problem in /root wherein the kde display cannot complete.  It completes in user however.  I still don't have a clue as to the location of vmlinuz in that drive.

I will see if I can fix XF86 with a typed-up Config file.  Maybe I should try using yours?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#30 2004-02-10 01:15:06

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Dauphin;

I re-installed arch in the 80GB drive and found that the boot problem still exists.  Dunno why it didn't the time I was able to boot with both drives.

I now have two arch in kernel 2.4.22-1 and have to get XF86 going in both.   Internet fine in both..

#31 2004-02-10 09:17:50

dauphin

Boot problem:  When you reinstalled Arch in the 80GB drive did you leave the drive configuration as it was when the 120GB drive successfully booted with both attached, or did you change something?  (I would have left it in situ)
And did you install lilo as part that reinstallation? That might have caused the problem to resurface.

XF86Config:  did you try running xf86config to make a new one?  As far as I can see, the Virtual Height problem is quite common and results from an error in one of the configuration parameters - unfortunately opinions vary as to which one! 
I suppose you no longer have a working version elsewhere on another installation, otherwise you could have copied it across from the command line.
I am pm'ing you with an XF86Config, but take care that your monitor settings especially are compatible with mine, or you could fry your monitor.

Location of vmlinuz: You have now wiped this installation anyway?  Can you find vmlinuz in the 120GB drive installation?

#32 2004-02-10 16:52:52

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile
   Dauphin;

I haven't looked for vmlinuz in the 120GB drive nor in the 80GB drive.

Each boots separately but need XFree86 in each and kde boot-up window.

There is so much I have forgotten about the setups needed and my notes aren't good enough.  I would guess in another six months if I should have a breakdown of arch I would have a devil of a time to retrieve it!

The 80Gb drive is newly re-installed in arch but is command line only as is the 120GB drive.

The XFree86Config that shows up is way different than the Config I had in the original arch.

Things equal to the same thing are different !

If one loses 100 pounds and then regains it, is that a rebuttal?

What happened after the crocodile swallowed the alarm clock?

Ans:  It was time consuming and it got ticked off!!!!!

#33 2004-02-10 19:04:52

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile

Dauphin;

I have studied the timestamp problem through googling and review and have concluded that it occurs due to the lilo assignment of both drives to the first drive of the system.  This occurs due to the install by CD into the first system drive(all other drives removed).

I think that the solution involves assigning one of the drives to the second system slot in Lilo.conf.

Does this make sense to you?

By the way, googling revealed another case of the same thing with no solution given.  It involved running two slackware drives of the same version installed in the system.

#34 2004-02-10 21:35:10

dauphin

I can't say that I entirely understand the explanation, but if it means that there is a lilo conflict and that you need to have both installations booting off the one lilo, that's certainly the view I have been taking.

I'm not clear what the "solution" means either, but you certainly want both the installations to be contained in the lilo.conf which is going to remain active.  I don't see there is anything to be lost, so if you understand the solution being suggested, why not try it?  It remains to be seen whether you will need to go on and clear the MBR on the other drive, but by all means take it a stage at a time.

#35 2004-02-11 01:44:58

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile Dauphin;

After much googling, I ran a bunch of tests on my primary IDE and decided it had problems....I replaced the 80 wire cable with a new cable which came with the 120GB drive.

I installed both maxtor drives on this cable and found that the timestamp problem was gone.  However, the selection of the 80GB drive(slave position)
in bios boot selection resulted in boot of the 120GB drive.  The selection in boot bios of the 120GB drive resulted in boot of the 80GB drive.

Maxtor drives have been reported in some posts as "blacklisted" in Linux but I think they belong in the "backwards" list!!!!! lol

The 120GB drive has a jumper in  "DS select(master) and the 80GB drive has a jumper in "CS select(cable select) and it is connected to the slave connector, the 120GB connects to end connector.
     I assume there is a better way to do the install of these drives but I am tired of chasing the problem.
(Now that I can fight the XFree problem!!!!!)  I conclude that the original cable was defective creating the condition wherein both drives appeared as master simultaneously...thus lilo timestamp mismatch error.
     It is possible that bios selection has reversed but I rather think its the jumper arrangement.  I may change that later.

Need to find the XFreeConfig I used to have which is much different than the one I find in the files.

I have post in Pacman searching for a way to upgrade without pain and strain but no replies as yet.
    So the timestamp problem has faded away for now(don't bet that it won't return!!!). lol
     Many thanks for your posts, keeps me fighting!

#36 2004-02-11 02:53:29

lilsirecho
Veteran

Thanks for the xf86 listing.  I'll be busy wuthg it for a time :!:  :!:

#37 2004-02-11 09:27:32

dauphin

I am glad you made some progress.  For what it's worth, both my drives (Samsungs) are set to cable select.
I still don't see why you effectively seem to be using your BIOS as the boot manager!  Can't you leave it so that you always boot from the master drive, and configure its MBR (with lilo or another boot manager) so that you have the choice to boot any OS on either drive?

#38 2004-02-11 18:54:18

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Dauphin;
   Have the x display but USB mouse not operating.

Need advice on how to enable kde.

I note new announcements about upgrade uglies!

In many references to making upgrades/changes, the details given leave out the "understood" procedural steps...most prevalent is the omission of the need to perform /sbin/lilo.

Note in announcements on another URL that one can install kernel 2.6 and the first statement is install module-init-tools before running Pacman -Syu.

Advice from Xentac included core-utils, module-init-tools and another I have forgotten  which were needed in upgrade.  It isn't clear to me now whether these are to be "installed" before the pacman-Syu or after.

The indications in the announcements are that more "uglies" show up as time goes by.  Kde 3.2 ugly on Feb 6.
      If I get kde running now v3.1.2, the new version install includes another "ugly".   I assume at this time I cannot avoid the "ugly" procedures with foresight.  They are the only way to upgrade.
     I have already set scrollkeeper to .old but don't know if it is needed in my present setup(affect X or Kde?).

What to do about gettiong kde running? :!:  :!:  :?:

#39 2004-02-11 19:18:55

dauphin

For the USB mouse, I think you have to edit XF86Config to show /dev/usbmouse as the location.

If you are starting from a base install, the kde upgrade problem is not going to apply.  You can go straight to KDE3.2.

Pacman -Syu will normally take care of everything.  As far as I recall, the only reason Xentac advised you to install certain packages separately was because it appeared something had gone wrong in the course of your pacman -Syu and your system only got partially upgraded.  When I did a test install the other day, I didn't have to install anything separately; I just said yes to all pacman's questions and it went fine.  Similarly, scrollkeeper can normally be left to its own devices.

The kernel won't be upgraded to 2.6.x unless you add the kernel26 package, and there is no need for you to do that at this stage.

#40 2004-02-11 19:33:22

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Dauphin;

Thanks for info.  As I posted, the latest ugly required module-init-tools before starting Pacman -Syu.

I have to try kde 3.1.2 first.  According to arch docs I need to edit /.xinitrc but I don't know where that file is located.

#41 2004-02-11 19:57:30

dauphin

I think you have misunderstood the position about mod-init-tools.  That was part of the procedure for upgrading to kernel 2.6, but I think pacman -Syu now gives it to you in any case.  However, if you want to first add it with pacman anyway, that's fine too.  (I didn't.)

It would be easier imho to proceed directly to KDE3.2.

If you need .xinitrc files, you would probably have to create your own; one in each user's home directory, eg /home/lilsirecho/.xinitrc  and /root/.xinitrc  But if you are installing kdm as login manager, all I think you need to do is add kdm to your daemons in /etc/rc.conf.

#42 2004-02-11 21:20:08

lilsirecho
Veteran

Kdm has been in the file daemons since initial install.

Startx provides several windows

Start kde report: cannot connect to X.... repeatedly(Ctl c to stop it from repeating)

StartX produces a different result than I had originally with arch.  I don't know which is correct...the old one followed the mouse and generated windows anywhere on the screen.  I have no mouse control with USB mouse now even though its included in XF86Config.  I have to exit.
     Every time I do something with arch I get a different result.
     I noted that when I installed arch this time from CD 0.5 that kde was an "extra".  I hope it was "installed" and not just "cached".  The" current" things had to be installed for the system to run......

If kde doesn't work now, what does upgrade to kde3.2 do to make it play?  I feel it can't play if it doesn't play now because the enable is not enabled.
     Arch Linux doc 6.10  How do I get KDE running?  This calls for :

Log out and log back in to activate the profiles.    ????????????
     Edit your ~/.xinitrc Datei.    Add the line :  exec startkde
     Run startx to load Xf86 and KDE.

What is ~/.xinitrc Datei   (misprint?)

#43 2004-02-11 21:54:47

dauphin

I hadn't realised you had already installed kde.  I agree it makes no sense to upgrade it now until your existing version is working.

Instead of entering "startx", have you tried "kdm" immediately after logging in?

Or with  ~/.xinitrc:

nano -w /root/.xinitrc   (opens an empty file)
type in  exec startkde
save and exit nano  - your /root/.xinitrc file has now been created.
startx

USB mouse: you have edited XF86Config  as I suggested?  If /dev/usbmouse doesn't do it, you will have to find out the correct location for a usb mouse in Arch.  Does it need a module loaded?  Sorry, I don't use a usbmouse so have never researched this.

#44 2004-02-11 22:51:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

Kdm did the trick but don't understand why the instructions do not specify it!!!!

I have e-mail back again and am up in arch now.
   Do I dare try pacman -Syu?
   I seem to recall that /.kde start is needed to have it go to kde on boot.  Is that right?

#45 2004-02-12 02:54:43

lilsirecho
Veteran

Performed pacman -Sy
                   pacman -Sy pacman
                   pacman -Rd xfree86
                   pacman -Sy xfree86   
                   pacman -Syu
                   answered yes to ipitils, coreutils, module-init-tools, et.cet
   Watched the above utils being downloaded/installed?
    Watched an hour of current download..
    Watched most of the "extra" download.

Had to enter pacman -Sf scrollkeeper.

Ran pacman -Q |less
    Found old kde still installed    (kde 3.2.0 was downloaded in extra)

Announcement says to remove kdepackages of 3.1.2 as follows;
        pacman -Rd kdeaddons..........thru to ....koffice
     This was accomplished; but not the next step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
         pacman -Sy kde-3.2.0
     Reason: no internet access!!!!!!!!!

Checked all files for correct entries , five files in all and info in them is correct.

What do I do now?????? No kde and no internet...

#46 2004-02-12 04:35:10

lilsirecho
Veteran

I have installed the module-init-tools, coreutils and iputils separately from the ...pacman -Syu operation.  It seems it doesn't "install" them.  It only places them in "cache".

I located the kde packages in "cache" but am unable to pacman -U install them due to dependencies!!!!!!!

I will try another -Syu but expect it will not install kde 3.2.0 because there is no kde to upgrade.  The install of the utils(which required removing /etc/modules.conf) and a reboot restored the internet.
     I guess I have to use pacman -Sc to clear the cache or else I won't get a download of kde3.2.0 which probably will prevent the "install" process from  following download.

#47 2004-02-12 08:55:44

dauphin

pacman -S kde  ?

I do not see any reason to clear the cache.

#48 2004-02-12 17:47:23

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile
Dauphin;

Yes, I studied the situation and concluded that pacman -S kde would install the new kernel, which it did last night.

However, all is not well because the kernel does not allow kde to start.

I enter kdm and the screen blanks for many seconds and returns to root prompt.  Entering kdestart gives error:  relocationerror:   /opt/kde/lib/libkdeui so.4  undefined symbol _ZN13QS   _Z14qt _ZN13 ; couldn't start kde init; connect() failed.

I have restored the arch 80gb drive in kernel 2.4.21-1 and have kde up and running.  However, lost internet in last reboot and all data I examined is correct.  Will spend some time checking into that later.

Maybe the download was corrupt on the 120gb drive to cause no kde start.  Startx is ok and I have USB mouse ok.

Any ideas?

#49 2004-02-12 18:15:52

dauphin

Which kernel are you using now on the 120GB drive?

I think your problem may be qt related.  What version of qt is installed?

A corrupt download is unlikely I would say.

#50 2004-02-12 18:43:46

lilsirecho
Veteran

Entered uname -a   : 2.4.21-1 kernel
     Entered : pacman -Q |less  : result kernel 2.4.21 installed, qt 3.1.2-1

Don't know why I still have the old kernel!!!!

I performed the   pacman -Syu and the kernel was included and I saw it listed and entered.
     I suspect that the scrollkeeper mix-up caused it not to enter along with other pkgs!!!
     Shall I try   pacman -Syu again or something else?

Board footer