You are not logged in.

#51 2006-11-05 09:24:16

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: larch-2

Erm...Grad - do you know what happened to Archie?  Ziggy was set for release and now nothing for ages!

#52 2006-11-05 09:41:50

gradgrind

dtw wrote:

Erm...Grad - do you know what happened to Archie?  Ziggy was set for release and now nothing for ages!

I was rather wondering, too. Is he not pm-able / mail-able?

#53 2006-11-05 11:15:25

fluomole

gradgrind wrote:
fluomole wrote:

So I downloaded  and tested it using the "mini" profile according to your detailed documents. Everything went well except an error when generating image ' larch.img'. It showed me "Generating image 'larch.img' ... File /usr/share/larch/initcpio/kinit.shared could not located."

That's no problem - it occurs because I replace kinit, but not kinit.shared, which isn't needed anyway. I'll tidy this up sometime.

fluomole wrote:

And I tested the iso in vmware virtual machine. It hanged at "Mount:No such device :: Mounting overlay image" and cannot go ahead.

I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about vmware. Maybe someone else has an idea? You could try qemu (which I use for testing) or, of course, a CD, and tell me if you get similar problems.

fluomole wrote:

I copied kinit which located at /home/larchbuild/ArchImage/usr/share/larch/initcpio/ into kinit.shared

Don't bother with this, that's not the problem.

Oh, and please make sure you're using the latest versions ...

Thanks for your quick reply.

And I tested the latest larch_dev-20061105.1040 version of larch scripts.
The progress was not so all right that It showed an error in the last step.

But I cannot find the difference of the two buildlive scripts.
fluomole_snap3.jpg

#54 2006-11-05 14:45:02

gradgrind

Have you not got cdrtools installed? That is one of the few things larch depends on (for mkisofs).

And there is no need to use the larch_dev tar-ball, indeed it may not work - that is the stuff I use for building the packages. You need to install 'pacin' and 'larch' packages, or use the larch-setup.sh script - see the download page on the website below.

#55 2006-11-06 05:43:22

fluomole

gradgrind wrote:

Have you not got cdrtools installed? That is one of the few things larch depends on (for mkisofs).

And there is no need to use the larch_dev tar-ball, indeed it may not work - that is the stuff I use for building the packages. You need to install 'pacin' and 'larch' packages, or use the larch-setup.sh script - see the download page on the website below.

Sorry. I have made such a stupid mistake.
And I have a successful experience with cdrtools installed .
Thang you!

#56 2006-11-06 06:01:38

gradgrind

You're welcome.

#57 2006-11-06 23:09:10

Sigi

Works quite well, larch2 in /usr/share/larch.
I've just one small note on the grub menu configuration, no other bugs found yet ;-) :

It would be nice if you could include

title << Back to Main Menu
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

in the files /usr/share/larch/cd-root/boot/grub/{colors.lst,keyboards.lst}

Thanks for your great work on larch!
Cheers Sigi

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#58 2006-11-07 14:44:27

Romashka
Forum Fellow

dtw wrote:

From archie ML:

To all -

Just thought I'd update you all, that Archie 0.6 was finished about a month
ago (except for the installer, which gradgrind has gracesly agreed to adopt
from larch to Archie) but we are still waiting for iphitus to release his
latest beyond kernel to solve some mkliveiso issue. until then, we are on
hold...
Also, since a standard Arch live iso kit is being developed by phrakture, I
dont see a reason to continue Archie specific development until we get to
play with the new kit and see how we can adopt it to our needs.

On a personal note - just thought of sharing my latest news with you - I got
married last week, with the most beautiful and kind woman in the world - Vika
(Victoria). I thank God for this blessing in my life smile

I hope iphitus will release his beyond kernel shortly, so we can finally
release this 0.6 version... the last of his kind (a mkliveiso creation...).

Till next update,
Blessings to you all,
Elia.

This is posted today. I reposted it here for those who don't read archie ML but want to know about progress.

to live is to die

#59 2006-11-08 14:34:34

gradgrind

Sigi wrote:

Done, plus one or two other tweaks - notably to session-save (de)activation logic.

#60 2006-11-09 01:19:37

Sigi

gradgrind wrote:
Sigi wrote:

Done, plus one or two other tweaks - notably to session-save (de)activation logic.

Great 8)

I've had the chance to use archin (gradgrinds ArchLinux Installation scripts for those not knowing it) today. It worked quite well. Some thoughts on archin and larch in general:

- I've started archin as a user with the usual permissions at first and it was unable to detect any partitions (e.g. to format them). Switching to the root account solved this issue, but it would be very useful if there would be a hint to guide one into this direction if this happens.
- Would it be possible to build a liveCD with multiple overlays? I'd find it useful if I could have a liveCD overlay and an installation overlay, maybe selectable via a kernel parameter!?
- Isn't 30s a little long as a grub timeout? Even for a LiveCD, IMO..
- One thing I haven't tried:
Does the archin installation in the install-the-liveCD- (and not the raw data)-mode install the live system as it is on CD or as it is actually running (e.g. with additionally installed packages, created users and so on)

Thanks for the great work on larch, gradgrind, and for everyone building liveCDs and sharing your experiences with me!

Cheers Sigi

#61 2006-11-09 05:53:12

gradgrind

Important Message

I just noticed an embarrassing bug in the overlay packing. It could well lead to overlay files having the wrong ownerships.

Please update larch to version 2.1-3

Sorry  :oops:

#62 2006-11-09 06:14:08

gradgrind

Sigi wrote:

- I've started archin as a user with the usual permissions at first and it was unable to detect any partitions (e.g. to format them). Switching to the root account solved this issue, but it would be very useful if there would be a hint to guide one into this direction if this happens.

An oversight. I'll fix that.

Sigi wrote:

- Would it be possible to build a liveCD with multiple overlays? I'd find it useful if I could have a liveCD overlay and an installation overlay, maybe selectable via a kernel parameter!?

Should be possible. I'll think about it.

Sigi wrote:

- Isn't 30s a little long as a grub timeout? Even for a LiveCD, IMO..

Indeed. I haven't really tested the GRUB configs, I just copied them from phrakture - who probably also hadn't tested them much - and checked that they sort of worked.
If you're interested, please tune them and send me the results.

Also if anyone has a machine which can boot from a GRUB USB-stick and would like to help getting that working, please get in touch. That's one option that is at present unimplemented because my machine only works with syslinux.

Sigi wrote:

- One thing I haven't tried:
Does the archin installation in the install-the-liveCD- (and not the raw data)-mode install the live system as it is on CD or as it is actually running (e.g. with additionally installed packages, created users and so on)

It should install the running system, with all mods.

#63 2006-11-09 17:51:14

Ryujin
Forum Fellow
Website

Hi, I have been building larch discs for a while noe, I am getting an error on the build and the disc is not bootable

// calling gen_larch_init to generate the initramfs
chroot: cannot run command `/usr/sbin/gen_larch_init': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `/home/larchbuild/ArchImage/larch.img': No such file or directory

durring boot it cannot find the larch.img file, any suggestions?

#64 2006-11-09 17:59:05

Ryujin
Forum Fellow
Website

never mind, it was my fault I forgot to put initcpio_larch in my addedpacks!

#65 2006-11-10 15:44:31

Sigi

gradgrind wrote:
Sigi wrote:

Doesn't hurry anymore. I've changed the whole structure of my LiveCD to use /etc/skel a lot more - haven't tested it yet but it should work. (In other words: I'm no further in need of multiple overlays anymore..)

I've included The_Nerd's xorg scripts and they are working quite well so far. Thanks a lot, The_Nerd!

Cheers Sigi

#66 2006-11-10 16:37:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

Build here was 550MB and runs nicely in c2r as root.  Not to worry, in c2r no problem.  Root here for four years running.

I enjoy VLC in the mix, and expect it may aid me in video for my family and friends in windows.

Had to try again to get Larch2 running but it is smoother in prep than the former setup.  Mine boots in one min 45secs in c2r to KDE desktop.

Great stuff, and deserves many kudos.

Thanks,thanks and thanks!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#67 2006-11-11 05:59:21

gradgrind

Sigi wrote:
gradgrind wrote:
Sigi wrote:

Doesn't hurry anymore. I've changed the whole structure of my LiveCD to use /etc/skel a lot more - haven't tested it yet but it should work. (In other words: I'm no further in need of multiple overlays anymore..)

Well, if anyone is interested, please let me know exactly what you are looking for, with examples of what features should be different in the various overlays, as that could affect the implementation. Depending on how different the overlays need to be, it shouldn't be very difficult, but it would require quite a few changes.

#68 2006-11-13 06:41:40

The_Nerd
Website

Sigi wrote:
gradgrind wrote:
Sigi wrote:

I've included The_Nerd's xorg scripts and they are working quite well so far. Thanks a lot, The_Nerd!

Cheers Sigi

No problem Sigi! I've taken a break recently to get back to normal life for a week or two, then I should have a bit more time to get back to working on those scripts. I should update the license at the top to include my name with the changes, and I'm not too far away from figuring out autodetection. I'll keep everyone updated with my progress and hopefully we'll see them incorporated into larch offically? Who knows!

#69 2006-11-13 14:23:25

Sigi

I've got serious problems with Firefox 2.0 on my LiveCDs. (Main thread  here)

I'm wondering if I'm the only one having these problems and how/if this is related to larch...

#70 2006-11-16 11:22:54

scrawler

howdy.

I have not had any luck with making an fstab in my overlay/etc/, and having it survive the journey to the iso.  can someone walk me through the steps, please?

#71 2006-11-16 12:44:43

Sigi

Sigi wrote:

I've got serious problems with Firefox 2.0 on my LiveCDs. (Main thread  here)

I'm wondering if I'm the only one having these problems and how/if this is related to larch...

Just to clarify the problems above: Firefox 2.0 isn't working in qemu. Firefox-nightly (Minefield) is working without any problems.

My LiveCD project (called zhw-arch) is getting better day by day. There are some screenshots here. (Be warned, some texts are in german..)
I'll upload my overlay soon, if there is someone interested.

I've got a problem I haven't got around yet:
I start openbox3 via a .xinitrc file. I also load pypanel and feh.
In qemu, everything works ok. In LiveCD-mode, pypanel has to be started manually after openbox3 has loaded.

My .xinitrc looks like this:

feh --some-parameter &
pypanel &
exec openbox

Is there a way to make sure pypanel gets loaded on startup?

Cheers Sigi

#72 2006-11-16 13:01:23

gradgrind

scrawler wrote:

howdy.

I have not had any luck with making an fstab in my overlay/etc/, and having it survive the journey to the iso.  can someone walk me through the steps, please?

Normally fstab is regenerated during the boot process. If you put a line:

#KEEP

in the fstab you put in the overlay, this should stop the automatic regeneration.

Please tell me if this doesn't work!

#73 2006-11-16 17:48:02

scrawler

I tried that once, but my attempt contained a typo.  I'll try again.

I'm having another problem.  I had w3m as a custom package, but a dependancy prevented it from working on my larch.  so, on my regular arch box, I remade the package, removing the dependancy line from the PKGBUILD.  I installed this package, and it works.  I have replaced the older w3m package with the newer one in my custompacks directory, and now mklarch tells me that the w3m package is corrupted.  If it is corrupted, would it have installed on my arch box?

anyway, any idea what I should do about this?

thanks.

#74 2006-11-16 18:51:36

gradgrind

scrawler wrote:

I'm having another problem.  I had w3m as a custom package, but a dependancy prevented it from working on my larch.  so, on my regular arch box, I remade the package, removing the dependancy line from the PKGBUILD.  I installed this package, and it works.  I have replaced the older w3m package with the newer one in my custompacks directory, and now mklarch tells me that the w3m package is corrupted.  If it is corrupted, would it have installed on my arch box?

anyway, any idea what I should do about this?

thanks.

Very often that means a package has been rebuilt with the same version number, but pacman picks up the old build from the cache. The best way around this is probably to give each new build a new version or release number. An alternative is to remove the old package from the cache.

#75 2006-11-16 19:09:46

scrawler

I changed the release number, and it is still corrupted...

Board footer