You are not logged in.

#76 2006-11-16 19:32:17

gradgrind

Re: larch-2

That's a toughie!

Did you try clearing it out of the cache, just in case?

#77 2006-11-16 21:38:03

scrawler

yup.

I just removed w3m from addedpacks, and am building an iso now.  Later, I'll add my w3m back in, and see what happens.  Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right :-)

While I'm here, I have another question.  How can I add a user?  I actually chrooted into the ArchImg directory, did an "adduser" (not to mention a "passwd" to give root a password).  Then I did a "mklarch -b"

As you probably already know, this did nothing.  is it possible?

#78 2006-11-16 22:50:56

Sigi

mklarch -b doesn't build the squashfs of the ArchImage-dir again. Your change can't be recognized that way.

You have to include all changes in the overlay image or create the user on startup (as I do in my LiveCD, btw)

edit: small corrections

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#79 2006-11-17 06:21:55

gradgrind

If I remember correctly, 'mklarch -b' will resquash ArchImage if you delete the old larchbuild/cd/system.sqf first.

#80 2006-11-19 01:23:52

Hello! I'm not quite sure if this is related to larch or is an x.org issue, but, for some reason i can only seem to get two display modes(848x480@60hz & 640x480@60hz) when i boot up my live CD. I have tested this on a few systems with different graphics(vmware, intel, nvidia) and it's always stuck at those two modes. Only way i can get 800x600 or higher is to use the 'vesa' driver which xine dislikes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.
I had been using the testing repo and am currently seeing  if using the current repo makes any difference.

There is a chance I know what I am talking about.

#81 2006-11-19 07:11:02

gradgrind

1270 wrote:

Hello! I'm not quite sure if this is related to larch or is an x.org issue, but, for some reason i can only seem to get two display modes(848x480@60hz & 640x480@60hz) when i boot up my live CD. I have tested this on a few systems with different graphics(vmware, intel, nvidia) and it's always stuck at those two modes. Only way i can get 800x600 or higher is to use the 'vesa' driver which xine dislikes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.
I had been using the testing repo and am currently seeing  if using the current repo makes any difference.

Have you tried the xorg.conf that you normally use (say, from an Arch installation)? Just mount the partition and copy the file over.
Or try running xorgconfig. You need to know a bit about your hardware, but I find it quite useful (until the xorg people come up with something better).

#82 2006-11-19 12:14:46

Sigi

Or try to include The_Nerds xorg-scripts mentioned previously in this thread. The work quite well on my LiveCDs.

#83 2006-11-19 14:01:10

gradgrind, I have tested with my xorg.conf and it works fine. My issue is trying to make a live CD for a system I know little about(ram and CPU type) so I'm trying to make it as generic as possible. Plus it's a laptop brand with a history of not liking Linux. I know this sounds stupid, but trying to get hardware info out of my sister is impossible,

Sigi, I've been searching The_Nerd's posts and can't find his xorg-scripts. Any hints?

#84 2006-11-19 15:40:42

gradgrind

1270 wrote:

gradgrind, I have tested with my xorg.conf and it works fine. My issue is trying to make a live CD for a system I know little about(ram and CPU type) so I'm trying to make it as generic as possible. Plus it's a laptop brand with a history of not liking Linux. I know this sounds stupid, but trying to get hardware info out of my sister is impossible,

Sigi, I've been searching The_Nerd's posts and can't find his xorg-scripts. Any hints?

Well, to make it as generic as possible I put in an undemanding vesa config! If you are looking for auto-detection, I'm afraid it's not so easy. 'hwd' did it, but it is pretty old now, so it might not give brilliant results. You can try 'X -configure', but in my experience the output generally still needs quite a bit of tweaking. A combination of 'X -configure' and 'xorgconfig' is pretty reliable, but it's far from automatic!

If your problem is only the display resolution, it might be enough to leave it to DDC. I don't know how this works but maybe something like:

Section "Module"
        Load  "ddc"  # ddc probing of monitor

Or just change the monitor settings ...

Here's the link to The_Nerd's scripts again:
http://www.studentpersonalpages.loyola. … lay.tar.gz

#85 2006-11-19 16:51:19

Thanks for the link to the scripts. I should have said i was using getconfig to get X configured on-the-fly. That might be where I'm having issues. getconfig gets the info about the hardware I'm running and combines that with the built-in x.org settings. These settings include 'Option "TargetRefresh" "75.0"' which should check all the modes and see which one is the closest to that setting.

Having looked at the X.org logs i found all but 848x480 and 640x480 are both 'hsync out of range' and 'bad mode clock/interface/*'. I'm thinking i might try getting in touch with an x.org hacker. Maybe he/she can shed some light on how exactly getconfig works and what could be going wrong. First I'll try The_Nerd's scripts and see if that works. Thanks again for all the input on the issue.

#86 2006-11-20 09:33:48

gradgrind

I have just uploaded a development version of larch-2 with a number of significant changes.

You'll probably hate me for it, but I've changed the config files (config_larch, config_pacin). The reason is that I felt they shouldn't be in the profile because they have more to do with the system on which larch is being built than on the CD which is to be generated. So config_pacin doesn't exist any more, run 'pacin' to get its new usage message. And config_larch is now in ...../share/larch, but can be overridden by a config_larch in the current/working directory. Its contents have also changed a bit. So don't use your old ones! The 'larch-setup.sh' script makes it easy by copying the default version to the working directory automatically. I have updated the docs (quick-start and profiles) in the larch package to cover this.

Other main changes:
- The larch initcpio hook has been split into three, which should make it easier to implement another overlay policy (overlay selection is in the larch2 hook)
- session-saving should now also work to DVD (uses growisofs, so dvd+rw-tools must be in addedpacks - I've added this in the profiles). But it only works if booted with 'c2r', and so is only for people with lots of RAM. (CD and USB-stick should still work without 'c2r')
- made 'vesamenu' the default for iso-/syslinux. I think it's a definite improvement!
- 'km' (console keymap utility) now also saves to rc.conf, so the result can be session-saved.
- the profile is now always copied to the boot medium again, but without the overlay.
- baseveto data now in its own file (.....share/pacin/baseveto), but can be overridden by option to 'pacin'
- pacin now looks first in the 'working' directory for a pacman.conf (if there isn't one there it will take your normal one, as before)

Edit:
- Is there anyone with a machine that can boot from USB-stick using GRUB who would like to test the usbboot_grub script? It now exists, but I can't test it. Warning: only apply if you know how to reinstate your MBR! (I guess it could happen, GRUB is like that. I can run the script, but I can't test the USB-stick, because my machines aren't interested in that sort of thing)

Get it via the download page of the website.

Share and Enjoy!

#87 2006-11-20 14:17:48

Sigi

I really appreciate your change on the config_larch. IMO it makes a lot more sense the way it is in the new version. Thanks a lot once again for all the effort you put into larch2!

#88 2006-11-21 19:27:27

scrawler

Sigi wrote:

or create the user on startup (as I do in
my LiveCD, btw)

How do you do that, exactly?  I'm not sure how to
script "adduser", or how to populate the user's home
dir with the stuff I want there...

#89 2006-11-21 21:57:05

Sigi

Put all the files you later want to be in /home/newuser into /etc/skel and run something like

useradd -d /home/$newuser -g users -G audio,wheel,optical -m $newuser
chown -R $newuser:users /home/$newuser
login -f $newuser

into a shell script (/root/start.sh)and run it through an entry in /etc/inittab, i.e. like this:

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/1 linux -n -l /root/start.sh

#90 2007-12-19 02:06:59

gazj
Website

I have just installed a mini larch to my usb stick, just wondering, is it ok to delete older .sqf files, do the newer files make the older one's obsolete or do they acumulate.

By the way congratulations on a fantastic project, used arch for ages, never been a live cd/usb fan, never found anything that fitted until now smile

Thanks

Gazj

Last edited by gazj (2007-12-19 13:27:30)

#91 2007-12-19 08:04:25

gradgrind

You've dug up a pretty old thread here! Anyway, yes, you can delete the old sqfs.

What version of larch are you using? larch-4 should handle this automatically on USB-sticks.

#92 2007-12-19 13:26:43

gazj
Website

Sorry probably should have started a new thread.  Thank you for replying to my question.  The version i have according to pacman

Name           : larch
Version        : 3.12-1
URL            : http://four.fsphost.com/gradgrind
Licence        : GPL  
Groups         : None
Provides       : None
Depends On     : pacin>=2.0  
Removes        : None
Required By    : None
Conflicts With : None
Installed Size : 1007.88 K
Packager       : Arch Linux (http://www.archlinux.org)
Architecture   : i686
Build Date     : Sat Sep 29 04:37:47 2007 UTC
Build Type     : Unknown
Install Date   : Tue Dec 18 19:27:22 2007 UTC
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : No
Description    : Scripts for generating live Archlinux CDs and USB-sticks

I got this from the the faunos repo http://www.faunos.com/larch/repo/

Should i be using a newer version?  Or should I be passing an option to mklarch or changing some config file to make the installation delete the old sqfs.  I did read the documentation, it sounded like it would do this without out any modification as you suggest, but appears not to happen for me at least.

Thanks for your time

#93 2007-12-20 07:17:38

gradgrind

This new behaviour with USB-sticks was introduced in larch-4, so you'll need a newer version. Get it via here:

http://larch.berlios.de/dl/larch_download.html

#94 2007-12-20 09:39:25

gazj
Website

Thank you very much.  Really appreciate your help.

#95 2008-01-27 09:11:44

gradgrind

larch only works with pacman-3.1 from version larch-4.29/pacin-2.11. larch-5 from svn is also pacman-3.1 compatible.

If you have problems with these latest versions please let me know - with some more details. And please use a newer thread, or preferably the larch section of the faunos forum (http://forum.faunos.com/viewforum.php?id=9).

Board footer