You are not logged in.

#51 2020-10-25 15:38:34

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 17,220

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

Thanks for the clarification, you need an answer from xyproto then.
(I haven't looked at the current package but would assume that one wants a wider variety of styles to cover many tastes, but oc. not everyone is gonna have their personal champion either)

Online

#52 2020-10-25 18:56:23

ondoho
Member
Registered: 2013-04-30
Posts: 684
Website

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

baron-digit wrote:

Thank you so much!
Now let's see if I can take it apart...


However studied and stilted your rant, it can never hide the base and primitve emotion that inspired it.
There's no objectivity.

Offline

#53 2020-10-26 05:22:47

cdejan
Member
From: Calgary
Registered: 2020-10-25
Posts: 2

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

...and 2 more cents

arch-wallpaper3
arch-wallpaper4

Offline

#54 2020-11-01 08:37:25

ondoho
Member
Registered: 2013-04-30
Posts: 684
Website

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

baron-digit wrote:

(...)
http://iberner.de/share/

ondoho wrote:

I'd like to move the logo around on the background.
(...)
Anyhow, yes, the SVG of this one would be nice.

OK, I did some editing.
Smaller logo, moved it up a little, and GIMP'd the background to remove gradient banding, which I hate with a vengeance. I used spread to remove it, which makes the 5120px file significantly larger than 1MB! big_smile
ARCH_bubblessvg_v2_thumb.png
5120px
1920px
1680px
And the sources, i.e. a modified SVG and the GIMP .XFCs for each resolution:
ARCH_bubblessvg_v2.tar.xz

License: Whatever baron-digit applied, currently CC0/Public domain.

Last edited by ondoho (2020-11-01 08:45:43)


However studied and stilted your rant, it can never hide the base and primitve emotion that inspired it.
There's no objectivity.

Offline

#55 2020-11-01 08:40:53

baron-digit
Member
Registered: 2020-10-12
Posts: 20

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

Ok, you could have asked me, for this super easy fix :-D
Especially with INKSCAPE, you already have these layers available.

Anyway, enjoy ;-)

ondoho wrote:
baron-digit wrote:

(...)
http://iberner.de/share/

ondoho wrote:

I'd like to move the logo around on the background.
(...)
Anyhow, yes, the SVG of this one would be nice.

OK, I did some editing.
Smaller logo, moved it up a little, and GIMP'd the background to remove gradient banding, which I hate with a vengeance. I used spread to remove it, which makes the 5120px file significantly larger than 1MB! big_smile
https://dt.iki.fi/stuff/forums/arch/ARC … _thumb.png
5120px
1920px
1680px
And the sources, i.e. a modified SVG and the GIMP .XFCs for each resolution:
ARCH_bubblessvg_v2.tar.xz

Offline

#56 2020-11-01 08:44:34

ondoho
Member
Registered: 2013-04-30
Posts: 684
Website

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

baron-digit wrote:

Ok, you could have asked me, for this super easy fix :-D

No, I enjoyed it.
But is it possible to remove gradient banding (or create gradients without banding) with inkscape?


However studied and stilted your rant, it can never hide the base and primitve emotion that inspired it.
There's no objectivity.

Offline

#57 2020-11-01 08:47:11

baron-digit
Member
Registered: 2020-10-12
Posts: 20

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

Gradient yes, banding you mean the shape of the lines?

ondoho wrote:
baron-digit wrote:

Ok, you could have asked me, for this super easy fix :-D

No, I enjoyed it.
But is it possible to remove gradient banding (or create gradients without banding) with inkscape?

Offline

#58 2020-11-01 10:10:52

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 17,220

Online

#59 2020-11-01 12:30:13

baron-digit
Member
Registered: 2020-10-12
Posts: 20

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Presumably, it appears within the export process or while applying gradient functions?
Honestly, inside Inkscape, my eyes are not able to catch such effects :-D

seth wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding

It probably would have to happen on the rasterization, https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/-/iss … _356657464 sound promising.

Offline

#60 2020-11-01 13:01:12

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 17,220

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

There's a limited amount of 8bpc colors between #990000 and #aa0000 - if you want them to span some 1000 pixels, you'll end up w/ a set of bars rather then a smooth gradient.

Solution:
a) have more colors (eg. 16bpc) - drawback: your monitor won't display them
b) mitigation efforts (the usual one being a dithering where you sprinkle pixels of neighbouring colors aroung) - drawback: visible effect on (very) low-res monitors (but still better/less visible than banding)

For the vector definition it doesn't matter - you got the two outer colors and that's it. Everything else is calculated on demand (and in inkscape, you'd probably even not want to bother w/ dithering overhead to keep the UI responsive)

Online

#61 2020-11-01 13:35:12

baron-digit
Member
Registered: 2020-10-12
Posts: 20

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

Ok, got it. I'll check this for the next time I use gradient effects. Frankly, wasn't aware of that before.

EDIT:
I checked this video which helped a lot to reduce the effect:
Youtube

Additionally, I checked this gradient effect with a dracula theme color test of my background.
Quite neat:
xFaKQfcm.png


seth wrote:

There's a limited amount of 8bpc colors between #990000 and #aa0000 - if you want them to span some 1000 pixels, you'll end up w/ a set of bars rather then a smooth gradient.

Solution:
a) have more colors (eg. 16bpc) - drawback: your monitor won't display them
b) mitigation efforts (the usual one being a dithering where you sprinkle pixels of neighbouring colors aroung) - drawback: visible effect on (very) low-res monitors (but still better/less visible than banding)

For the vector definition it doesn't matter - you got the two outer colors and that's it. Everything else is calculated on demand (and in inkscape, you'd probably even not want to bother w/ dithering overhead to keep the UI responsive)

Last edited by baron-digit (2020-11-06 10:08:54)

Offline

#62 2020-11-25 18:53:28

dr_leohanyan
Member
Registered: 2020-11-02
Posts: 1

Re: Official Arch Linux Wallpapers

Arch Linux Simple Wallpaper 1920x1080
Made with inkscape
arch-simple-wallpaper

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB