You are not logged in.

#26 2020-10-14 01:53:00

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] The system does not boot

No you misunderstood me, I think GRUB is fine and quite usable (I do use it myself) but as schard wanted you to test another bootloader I argued that it's not going to be useful as we are not even at a stage where the bootloader is actually relevant.

For the topic at hand, I can't recall reports of issues with Lenovo firmwares in regards to adding nvram entries, maybe you've got a weird revision or so.  That solution is a bit of a workaround but there are sometimes UEFI implementations that don't play well and as you can ultimately use the fallback path it's not going to be that much of a direct issue, but it's somewhat sad to hear that there are still implementations that don't properly support what they should.

Glad to hear this worked out in the end.

#27 2020-10-14 07:54:50

Arciere

V1del wrote:

No you misunderstood me, I think GRUB is fine and quite usable (I do use it myself) but as schard wanted you to test another bootloader I argued that it's not going to be useful as we are not even at a stage where the bootloader is actually relevant.

For the topic at hand, I can't recall reports of issues with Lenovo firmwares in regards to adding nvram entries, maybe you've got a weird revision or so.  That solution is a bit of a workaround but there are sometimes UEFI implementations that don't play well and as you can ultimately use the fallback path it's not going to be that much of a direct issue, but it's somewhat sad to hear that there are still implementations that don't properly support what they should.

Glad to hear this worked out in the end.

Thanks again for your explanation.
Does using "Default/fallback boot path", and therefore the insertion of the

--removable

option, bring any limitations to the OS? Does it have any side/negative aspects in general?

Arciere

#28 2020-10-14 09:17:53

V1del
Forum Moderator

It should not have any noticable drawbacks for normal operation, it "would" be a problem on a dual boot with windows as the fact that this path is the one that has to be used means you will once again have a fight between whether the Windows boot loader or GRUB is there (and would thus likely lead to Windows updates potentially overriding GRUB) a problem that isn't a problem on proper UEFI system implementations since it's an explicit goal of UEFI to by design allow multiple loaders to co-exist.

Last edited by V1del (2020-10-14 09:18:27)

Board footer