Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: (Partially) annonated ArchWiki category list

looks good, keep it up.

#27 2006-11-07 17:35:56

foxbunny
Website

Should [File systems] be a [Software] or [Hardware] subcategory? My rather limited knowledge of file systems tells me it is more of a Software thing because it's not a hardware-specific issue. To explain: if you switch hard drives, you still get to use the same file system, or even clone file systems from one drive to another.

What do you think?

#28 2006-11-07 17:43:47

twiistedkaos

foxbunny wrote:

Should [File systems] be a [Software] or [Hardware] subcategory? My rather limited knowledge of file systems tells me it is more of a Software thing because it's not a hardware-specific issue. To explain: if you switch hard drives, you still get to use the same file system, or even clone file systems from one drive to another.

What do you think?

Filesystems are software, not hardware.

#29 2006-12-06 12:42:32

foxbunny
Website

Two new categories created: [Power management (English)] and [CPU (English)].

#30 2007-01-23 03:58:21

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Update:
I'm currently continuing foxbunny's work on restructuring the wiki. I've updated and cleaned up the category list.  I removed some subcategories that would  (I presume) only contain 1 or no articles at all.  New subcategories can be added if needed.

I've also created a "Table of contents" to facilitate  wiki browsing:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tab … English%29

#31 2007-01-23 07:23:46

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

You're an awesome guy. smile

Dusty

#32 2007-01-23 08:13:24

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Dusty wrote:

You're an awesome guy. smile

Dusty

Thanks. big_smile

BTW, I've replaced the x64 category by Arch64 as that category was already used and is more "user friendly".

#33 2007-01-27 01:33:25

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I created another category: [Events (English)] and  I'm done moving the English articles. Maybe some more subcategories are needed (I'm thinking about Networking...). If you think so, post your suggestions here.

Also, if you speak another language and want to help out, the i18n articles still needs to be placed  in their new categories and the main pages blurb has to be updated.  I can do the French ones as I'm fluent in French but the other languages are more complicated. tongue In some case, I can categorized the pages but I can't update the blurb at all.

You can contact me if you need help/advice. Currently, PM is bad as they will be lost in the upcoming forum update. Email or IRC will be better for this weekend.

#34 2007-03-02 04:41:15

louipc

Hey! Wine is not an Emulator. Is it?

#35 2007-06-03 03:52:24

thayer
Fellow
Website

I'm working on a laptop guide for the Dell Inspiron 6400 at the moment.

I stumbled onto this thread and I'm wondering if there is more we can do for the Main Page, such as having a big fat link to the "Table of Contents" (mentioned above by Snowman) in English, with language links next to it that lead to ToC's in those particular languages.  I say this because I didn't even know the English Table of Contents existed until I read this thread tonight... and it's best formatted index I've seen in the entire Wiki so I think it should be a bit more prominent in the hierarchy of links.

It took me 2 days of casually browsing the wiki (not searching) before I actually found the category for laptop guides... this just seems wrong.  This sort of general topic should be available to readers within 1 or 2 clicks of a mouse.

There are other things that perplex me about the current Wiki too, such as the differences between the HOW-TO and Tutorials sub-categories.  Aren't they the same thing?  What separates a HOW-TO from a Tutorial?

Don't get me wrong, I realize it's a massive undertaking to organize so many articles into a sensible order, but I'm not sure the current way the Wikis are displayed (at least on the home page) are the best they could be.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#36 2007-06-21 15:34:39

foxbunny
Website

For all that have participated in this project some time ago, thank you and good job!

Now, for the final category tree (for I see it has been asked again a while ago):

#37 2007-06-21 22:11:18

Roberth

What about an Window Manager category?

Use the Source, Luke!

#38 2007-06-21 22:34:45

Romashka
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

For all that have participated in this project some time ago, thank you and good job!

And especially thank you! wink
And welcome back! smile

foxbunny wrote:

Now, for the final category tree (for I see it has been asked again a while ago):

There is also another tree: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … egory_Tree
I think they should be synced to be the same.

to live is to die

#39 2007-06-21 23:49:10

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Roberth wrote:

What about an Window Manager category?

The articles for WM can go in the category Desktop environments (English) with the DE as they are currently. I don't think that the current number of articles requires a specific category for them. WM and DE accomplish the same purpose and some of these apps can be difficult to categorize wether  they are a WM or DE.  It's preferable to keep the number of categories as small as possible.

#40 2007-06-21 23:52:52

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Romashka wrote:
foxbunny wrote:

There is also another tree: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … egory_Tree
I think they should be synced to be the same.

Yes, they could be synced. I initially made that table of content when I did massive wiki reorganization a while ago to give me an idea of the categories that were used at that time and how they related to each other.

#41 2008-02-14 12:48:09

holytrousers

Hello to everyone.
I have just noticed, that the getting and installing arch section is not available anymore from the home page of the wiki. it is accessible only through the table of contents.
Please could someone bring it back to the main page ? it is the most important section...
Cheers.

#42 2008-02-14 13:42:16

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

holytrousers wrote:

Hello to everyone.
I have just noticed, that the getting and installing arch section is not available anymore from the home page of the wiki. it is accessible only through the table of contents.
Please could someone bring it back to the main page ? it is the most important section...
Cheers.

It has been moved to the top of the page, in bold.

#43 2008-02-15 14:34:46

holytrousers

I'm afraid its not there.

I am Talking about the Getting and Installing Arch, where you find sub-categories like usb install etc.
Not the Official Install Guide or The beginners Guide ( Which are subsections of the above mentionned category )

Cheers.

#44 2008-06-08 15:42:42

T-u-N-i-X
Website

As far as I can see, the categories here are not included in the Wiki... Are there any attempts for this ?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

Board footer