You are not logged in.

#26 2006-11-17 20:19:53

noriko
Website

Re: Why im going back to gentoo:

i second what 'scarney' said .. and if u get 300kb/s stealing mp3's .. and yet u cannot get that in pacman, i fail to ee what it has to do with pacman...

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#27 2006-11-17 21:33:51

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

pacman -S netselect

then do

sortmirrors

Should improve your speed issues

I consistently get 158kb/s and much faster on my home system (cable)

#28 2006-11-17 21:44:42

swooshonln

Ok thanks guys. If these steps work, im stayin smile

#29 2006-11-17 23:23:52

Kenetixx
Website

How did it go swooshonln?
i thought the same thing coming from gentoo to arch but once you get the mirrors sorted they will max out your connection, and then its all sweet. smile

http://binaryritual.net

There is no spoon.......

#30 2006-11-18 01:45:25

erosa

I'm running Gentoo but I've been testing Arch within qemu, and relatively, I think installing applications via pacman is significantly faster than the compile/install cycle of Gentoo. It takes hours for me to compile a mozilla-based app. pacman can install it in minutes.

What I do like about portage is that it's non-interactive vs pacman which prompts the user prior to continuing. But I don't see this as a major issue.

Oh boy!

#31 2006-11-18 02:45:43

stonecrest

pacman -Syu --noconfirm

I am a gated community.

#32 2006-11-18 03:19:50

ralvez
Website

crouse wrote:
pacman -S netselect

then do

sortmirrors

I just tried this suggestion and ended up with empty /etc/pacman.d/community,current, extra, release, and unstable files.
Are netselect and sortmirrors developed by the Arch devs or are these "addapted" software because they surely messed up my system.

The fix was not difficult because I have several boxes running Arch so it was a matter of scp'ing the files from one of them but if this happen to someone with only one box ...  roll

#33 2006-11-18 04:29:14

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

ralvez wrote:
crouse wrote:
pacman -S netselect

then do

sortmirrors

I just tried this suggestion and ended up with empty /etc/pacman.d/community,current, extra, release, and unstable files.
Are netselect and sortmirrors developed by the Arch devs or are these "addapted" software because they surely messed up my system.

It's a known issue with netselect (not developped by Arch devs). I think that if it can't connect to a mirror or some other error happens then it removes all the mirror. There is another script somewhere  in the forums (maybe the wiki) to reorder the mirror.

ralvez wrote:

The fix was not difficult because I have several boxes running Arch so it was a matter of scp'ing the files from one of them but if this happen to someone with only one box ...  roll

They can always get the files by reinstalling pacman or get the files directly from abs or the net.

#34 2006-11-18 06:45:49

Snarkout

I think that's a fairly major bug, even if it's possible to recover from.  I mean the function is supposed to be that it helps you select the fastest mirror.  The function seems to be it eats your conf files if there's some specific hiccup.  I'd consider that unacceptably bad behavior.  At the very least, the script could copy the existing configs to /tmp and then test to see if it has somehow generated zero length files (or whatever happens) and copy the originals back if it has.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#35 2006-11-18 07:28:38

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I'm running pacget here most of the time it does help download speed

Got my pacman db on a loop file [thanks smoon!]

Going staying make up your mind rofl  lol

Mr Green

#36 2006-11-18 12:34:34

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I wrote a python script for the sortmirrors thing a while back. It creates *.sorted files for each repo. Then all you need to do is append .sorted to your mirrors variable in pacman.conf. Should be no way for it to mess anything up.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ortmirrors

#37 2006-11-18 17:50:26

ralvez
Website

T-Dawg wrote:

I wrote a python script for the sortmirrors thing a while back. It creates *.sorted files for each repo. Then all you need to do is append .sorted to your mirrors variable in pacman.conf. Should be no way for it to mess anything up.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ortmirrors

... and that is the way it should be. I have myself written a number of applications that "mess" with the local settings but it would never occur to me to write something that alters custom settings and if it fails just quits. At least I would expect the application to do two things: 1) Warn me that it fail and 2) Re-instate the original files back.

That's why, in my mind, I felt it was very unlikely it was written by the Arch devs. and was an "adapted script".

I'll give your script a try. Thanks!!

#38 2006-11-18 21:38:47

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I have a sortmirrors script on my system from way back in the day ...

written in perl if I remember right ....

a quick forum search showed it up......

Mr Green

#39 2006-11-20 08:12:50

SamTheMan

wtf whats wrong with reiserFS? i use it and dont have any problems

#40 2006-11-20 11:05:01

arooaroo
Website

I agree with Stinky.

My download speed improved 10x when I edited the pacman confs to use a different mirror as opposed to the default AL ftp.

Gentoo was great because it had so many mirrors, but emerge could take ages because the rsync stuff took forever, not to mention the subsequent compiling.

#41 2006-11-20 11:28:40

Purch

For colored search output I use pak from AUR. It is fast, but requires java. Note the description that says looks like gentoo's esearch. Should feel more like home now wink

$ pak -l pak

:: aur/pak
     Latest Version    : 1.2-1
     Version Installed : 1.2-1
     Current Votes     : 5
     Description       : Formats pacman's output in color in a format similar to Gentoo's esearch. Pak searches repos defined in pacman.conf as well as AUR and allows the user to refine searches. 

I use this script to find fastest repos http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ht=#147290

#42 2006-11-20 21:50:34

arooaroo
Website

codemac wrote:

You gotta give us more than "I like colors" and "It's slow".

No - these are valid reasons. They seem petty to some, I'm sure, but sometimes there are little details that people like. Does any one like using 'ls' without colour?

Also, there are times when I may go a few weeks before syncing with pacman. It takes pacman ages before offering the package list and if I don't pick a close mirror then I obviously takes ages to download 500Mb, etc.

pacman is core to AL - so it should work nicely out-of-the-box. As a new user, there's nothing KISS about trawling the forums and wiki looking for tips. There are some nice things which have been contributed by the community to enhance pacman. The loopback device should become a default setup, I think, for example. Considering pacman has the ILoveCandy command argument that alters the appearance of the download status, then you can't argue that adding coloured output is anti-KISS/adds bloat or whatever.

I'm not saying I agree with the sentiments, nor that moving back to Gentoo will actually make one's Linux-life more fulfilled. But the small details do matter to people, which is evident throughout these forums - it's just that different people are interested in different details.

#43 2006-11-20 23:17:15

elasticdog
Website

arooaroo wrote:
codemac wrote:

You gotta give us more than "I like colors" and "It's slow".

No - these are valid reasons. They seem petty to some, I'm sure, but sometimes there are little details that people like. Does any one like using 'ls' without colour?

Also, there are times when I may go a few weeks before syncing with pacman. It takes pacman ages before offering the package list and if I don't pick a close mirror then I obviously takes ages to download 500Mb, etc.

pacman is core to AL - so it should work nicely out-of-the-box. As a new user, there's nothing KISS about trawling the forums and wiki looking for tips. There are some nice things which have been contributed by the community to enhance pacman. The loopback device should become a default setup, I think, for example. Considering pacman has the ILoveCandy command argument that alters the appearance of the download status, then you can't argue that adding coloured output is anti-KISS/adds bloat or whatever.

I'm not saying I agree with the sentiments, nor that moving back to Gentoo will actually make one's Linux-life more fulfilled. But the small details do matter to people, which is evident throughout these forums - it's just that different people are interested in different details.

+1

Well said arooaroo!

#44 2006-11-20 23:26:59

Nnyan

Now being a complete noob I'll risk a flame by adding my two cents.

But I agree with arooaroo for the most part.  While I LOVE Arch (I'm even in the process of removing Suse from half a dozen boxes at work.  two of these are getting Arch!) I have to say that as a non-linux expert who has tried just about every distro under the sun, Arch comes off to me as being a bit disorganized.

Its not too difficult to find similar issues to this, something doesn't work all two well but there are various "fixes" out there that make things "10X better".  Well if something works so much better then the default then why is Arch using the default?

I've run into multiple "fixes" for any one issue more then once.  Some are half done, some are outdated, some are better then others.  This is just my opinion but if your distro is doing rolling updates then isn't it even more important to make sure that the things that work best are implemented when you update your system?

That to me is my biggest gripe about Arch, seems like things are a bit haphazard and strewn about.  And yes I know Arch is not meant for the total noob but still.

#45 2006-11-20 23:36:07

noriko
Website

10xbetter

i assume u are talking about the downlaod speed, (10x faster) ... well the defaults are arch's ftp servers in the us, i believe .. well that's obvious why it's set to that, .. about pacman being slow... well, pacman3 isn't here yet, it's got plenty new features i'm sure, and i'm sure it will come with systems in place to improve on this..
so i have to say, ur post is a lil on the harsh side, but none-the-less, ur opinion is always valid wink
btw, i have no way of saying whether pm is really slow or not, as it isn't for me .. 2 seconds max to display results, any longer and it is due to net/router congestion.

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#46 2006-11-20 23:45:00

Nnyan

noriko,

I apologize if my post sounded harsh to you, not my intention.

#47 2006-12-11 15:29:55

cromero

I was a gentoo user and i can tell you guys im not going back unless arch disappears. Not only installing something in arch is A LOT faster than installing something in gentoo, but making a PKGBUILD is also easier than an ebuild, and aur does work great. I cant remember the last time a did a successful emerge world in gentoo.

Btw, i also like the pak output and i use to like the gentoo colored output but what happened to pak? is no longer in aur. I actually was looking for it when i ended up here because a couple of friends are moving from gentoo to arch and i was gonna tell them to install pak.

#48 2007-02-02 11:07:28

bakaohki

cromero wrote:

I was a gentoo user and i can tell you guys im not going back unless arch disappears. Not only installing something in arch is A LOT faster than installing something in gentoo, but making a PKGBUILD is also easier than an ebuild, and aur does work great. I cant remember the last time a did a successful emerge world in gentoo.

Same here, I totally agree. Arch just works - Gentoo hardly; not going back, I'm sure. Sry for the short post, had to say it smile

#49 2007-02-02 14:59:04

billy

cactus wrote:

perhaps he uses reiserfs, and experienced the agregiously horrible performance on that filesystem.
The defrag pacman thing apparently helps (note: I don't use reiser anymore..so I don't know).

i use reiserfs and i have search times under a second.

And i'm downloading with pacman constantly with 700kB/s (at student hostel and 100kB/s at home) without using wget or aria2. you just need to find a mirror that is fast and close to you.

#50 2007-02-02 18:49:13

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

swooshonln wrote:

i'm talking about download speeds. I do have a real connection, why doesn't pacman utilize it? I can sit here and download a mp3 at 300Kb/s, and sit here and wait for pacman to download a 3 meg package @ 3-5 kb/s. Maby the pacman server should get a real connection?

I get >800 Mb/s consistently...if you are getting 3-5 kbs, then your problem must be a slow server in your pacman.conf. Experiment by bumping up some faster ones to the top of your list.

Board footer